PDA

View Full Version : Epstein to get nod

wdlove
Nov 25, 2002, 11:12 AM
WCVB Sports broke the news Sunday evening that Theo Epstein, 28 years old, will be the new Red Sox GM. The official announcement was made at 11am today. Theo grew up in Bookline, MA in the shadow of Fenway Park. He will be the youngest in baseball history to hold GM job, will turn 29 next month. The previous youngest was Randy Smith, 29 years old, hired by the San Diego Padres in 1993 as their new GM. He will be the 11th GM in team history. A Yale graduate with a law degree from the University of San Diego. Started his career as a teenage intern for the Orioles.

alex_ant
Nov 25, 2002, 11:17 AM
I read the title and thought, "That's good, Brian Epstein was a great manager, and the Beatles were lucky to have him"

strider42
Nov 25, 2002, 01:22 PM
thank god the obscene amount of money they threw at Billy Beane wasn't enough to make him disrupt his family life. Yeah for Billy, good for the Red Sox, and lets go Oakland.

Sun Baked
Nov 26, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant
I read the title and thought, "That's good, Brian Epstein was a great manager, and the Beatles were lucky to have him"
I guess I was stuck in Sweat Hog mode when I read the title ...

wdlove
Nov 26, 2002, 10:55 AM
Theo had a dream, fufilled it early. An unproven prodigy.

He's the son of Leslie & Ilene Epstein, still live on Parkman Street, Brookline, MA ~ one mile from Fenway Park.

As a child looking up to his father, "Dad, when I'm your age, and if my life hasn't been spent in sports, I'll be a dispoointed man"

Leslie Epstein is a Rhodes Scholar, head of creative writing at BU. " At Theo's age Alexander the Great was already general mangager of the world."

Theo is his given name, not called Theodore, Ted, or Teddy. He's the youngest Baseball GM in history @ 28 years 11 months, born December 29, 1973. Chosen after an 8 week search, concluded his vast potential outweighed his inexperince.

This is his 12th season in Major League Baseball. Theo has passion & work ethic. Goal is to build farm team & keep stars. A rough job when will need to trim costs.

"It will be clear to you over time that this is a gifted person with a real opportunity to have a profound impact on this franchise" Larry Lucchino, CEO

"No one person is going to turn the Red Sox into a World championship organization; It's going to happen, but it's going to be a group effort. Were going to become a championship organization and win a World Series" Theo

Epstein's baseball career:

1992-94 Baltimore Media relations intern
1995-96 San Diego Medial relations assistant
1997 San Diego Media relations manager
1998-99 San Diego Baseball operations assistant
2000-01 San Diego Baseball operations director
2002 Boston Assistant general manager
2002 Boston General Manager

Will 84 years of futility end?

Oldest GM in baseball history, Pat Gillick, 65 years old, born August 23, 1937, currently runs the Mariners.

15 of the 28 players on the current Red Sox team or 53.6% are older than Theo. 30 of the 38 players on the curent Marinbers or 78.9% are less than 1/2 his age.

wdlove
Nov 27, 2002, 11:43 AM
Theo Epstein hires a new assistant GM. Bill Lajoie, 60 years old, has 48 years of baseball experience. He has built winners such as the Cincinnati Reds in the 70's, the 1984 champion Tigers, and Braves dominated National League in the 90's. The 1st hire by Epstein. Epstein said "He is top, top evaluator" "We just got a lot closer to being the best scouting organization in baseball

Koodauw
Nov 1, 2005, 12:15 AM
And now today Theo leaves the Bosux. Even Crazy Old George knows when to pony up the money, and keep a good GM. This is a deep loss for the Sux. Congrats Boston, you always and will forever be Second Best.

Josh396
Nov 1, 2005, 01:16 AM
And now today Theo leaves the Bosux. Even Crazy Old George knows when to pony up the money, and keep a good GM. This is a deep loss for the Sux. Congrats Boston, you always and will forever be Second Best.
Well I don't think they'll forever be second best it is for sure a loss. But who knows maybe they'll find someone better. It's hard to imagine that but there is always someone else out there.

MacDawg
Nov 1, 2005, 06:35 AM
Wow, you really had to dust this thread off! 2002!

Yeah, its a tough loss, but seems like a lot of folks want(ed) out of Boston (Manny, Pedro, etc.)

Epstein won't have to look for a place, one will find him.

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

jayb2000
Nov 1, 2005, 10:26 AM
Well, it almost sounded like Epstein did not want the workload either right now in one of the interviews I saw.

I think the Red Sox have a good farm system and will be better over the next 86 years than they were over the last 86!

Heck, if we win one World Series a decade from now on, that would be pretty nice. :D

xli_ne
Nov 1, 2005, 10:45 AM
man... that is a old thread. Should go to the cubbies and get rid of their curses.

Lyle
Nov 1, 2005, 10:56 AM
I guess I was stuck in Sweat Hog mode when I read the title ...I was about to say the same thing. That was the first thing that came to mind when I read that name. ;)

P.S. Of course, Sun Baked beat me to it by about three years. Man, this is an old thread.

wdlove
Nov 1, 2005, 01:38 PM
I wish Theo Epstein all the best.

grapes911
Nov 1, 2005, 02:25 PM
I wish Epstein would come to Philadelphia. (I guess our wishes contradict each other :rolleyes: )

eva01
Nov 1, 2005, 02:27 PM
all i know is if i were epstein's father and he resigned on his boyhood favorite team he would no longer be my son ;)

i have no son :P

so upsetting this is

djbahdow01
Nov 1, 2005, 02:42 PM

ditto, it was a great three years. Hope the Sox can get someone soon. It is going to be tough to replace Theo, but the one thing we know the Sox should hopefully pull it out. I just hope the minor league system doesn't get affected anytime soon.

wdlove
Nov 1, 2005, 05:09 PM
Theo Epstein will be having a live News Conference Wednesday at 1pm EST. It will be to explain his reasons for leaving and the future.