Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stitch30

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Hi guys !!

I know that this has been discussed a few times before in other threads but an extra opinion wouldn't hurt :)

I just sold my 2008 iMac to buy myself a new computer. I would like to know if a Mac Mini equipped with the 2.6ghz core i7 processor, the fusion drive and 8 gb of ram would be enough to do some video editing on Adobe Premiere or iMovie (working with 1080 files) and ripp blurays and convert them with Handbrake.

I've read mixed feelings on the mini for the work I would like to do. I'm now using my 2012 13'' base Macbook Air to do that and I must say that the machine gets very hot and noisy. Should I wait and get the 27" iMac ?

One last thing ... my old baby was good enough for the task I'm used to do but I needed some money to get a new system :p

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
1st advice: Write more descriptive thread titles.
2nd advice: If there are other threads on the topic, don't create a new one.
3rd advice: If you Air does fine, the 2012 Mini will do much better. Will probably be cooler but expect the CPU to get hot, as these quads i7 are pretty warm. ;)

EDIT: OK, I see you added a little bit more description to the thread title, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.