PDA

View Full Version : [iPad Mini] Do you like your Smart Cover ?

GeorgieAcevedo
Nov 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
First time cover user on the iPad. I got the Smart Cover for the mini and idk it feels a bit uncomfortable. But it's pretty popular so maybe I'm using it wrong ? I don't know. Do you like yours ?

Roy Hobbs
Nov 10, 2012, 01:19 PM
Yes

bobbysmith
Nov 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
It's pretty crappy. It doesn't attach to the back when you use the device, so it's always sliding and flapping around. This is ridiculous for something so extremely expensive.

As a stand it has a tendency to fall over and having the inside of the cover out and exposed to everything that might be on the desk means stuff gets on the screen, or worse ends up scratching it.

GeorgieAcevedo
Nov 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
It's pretty crappy. It doesn't attach to the back when you use the device, so it's always sliding and flapping around. This is ridiculous for something so extremely expensive.

This is one of the main issues I'm having. I'm considering returning it. Mmmm. Only looks good when closed. That's all.

hfg
Nov 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
Fold it in half when you first open it, then flip the double-thick remaining half to the back. Much easier to hold without the flapping around.

rgarjr
Nov 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
You're suppose to remove it when your using the iPad.

GeorgieAcevedo
Nov 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
Fold it in half when you first open it, then flip the double-thick remaining half to the back. Much easier to hold without the flapping around.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Like this?

RickD1225
Nov 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
I use a 3M self stick magnetic strip under my back cover to hold it in place when open. Put it on the far left edge on the back.

bobbysmith
Nov 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
It has three segments, you can't fold it in half.

Here's what happens if you try to hold it:

http://i.imgur.com/Jp4E5.jpg

GeorgieAcevedo
Nov 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
It has three segments, you can't fold it in half.

Here's what happens if you try to hold it:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/Jp4E5.jpg)

I think he got confused with the Smart Cover for the regular iPad lol

hfg
Nov 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
Indeed I did ... my apologies. :o

I forgot I was in the mini iPad forum ... that technique works with the full size ones. :o

glen e
Nov 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
I fold two thirds of it back and have never had the magnets come loose....are you guys lumberjacks or something?

----------

You're suppose to remove it when your using the iPad.

hogwash.....

gmanist1000
Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
First time cover user on the iPad. I got the Smart Cover for the mini and idk it feels a bit uncomfortable. But it's pretty popular so maybe I'm using it wrong ? I don't know. Do you like yours ?

I like it, but I always take it off when using the iPad. I hate the way it feels when using the iPad and the Smart Cover is on the back.

urkel
Nov 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
With the big iPad I would roll it up as a triangle and then wrap my hand on that like a handle to hold it and it was very comfortable. But with the mini then it's missing a segment so in "triangle mode" it's not very stable. I can't hold it the same way nor does it stand as sturdy, so IMO it sucks for the price (but I'm still keeping it.)

BTW. I never take the cover off because then ill lose it.

daleksec
Nov 10, 2012, 04:04 PM
My mini also doubles as my alarm clock. Very disappointed with the sturdiness of the smart cover in this regard. So much so that i'm returning mine tomorrow.

shenan1982
Nov 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hate it. Returned it. Disappointing gap against the screen. Apple knows about the issue and says "working on it"

wx4olf
Nov 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
So far it's ok. Like everyone is saying: it has issues like the little gap between the cover and screen. However, for my purposes I think it will work out.

Bakari45
Nov 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
It's fine for me. Helps me hold the iPad easier. I like how it doesn't collect dust like the cover for the original iPad. I do wish there were more artistic designs for it. The colors are boring.

haruhiko
Nov 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
This is how I fold the Smart Cover for my big iPad.

johnothy
Nov 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'd prefer a smart case that covers the back.

8a22a
Nov 12, 2012, 10:21 AM

Mine sticks to the back fine, it doesn't flap around.

glen e
Nov 12, 2012, 12:34 PM

mine too, when it's naked...

Samuriajackon
Nov 12, 2012, 02:26 PM

I hid a small flat magnet between the back of the ipad and the cover. So mines doesnt "flap around at all"

glen e
Nov 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
I hid a small flat magnet between the back of the ipad and the cover. So mines doesnt "flap around at all"

I did this on an ipad3...and so did many others - like this but smaller...

http://www.buy.com/prod/10-neodymium-magnets-3-4-x-1-16-inch-disc-n48/235466521.html?listingId=231616863

sparkomatic
Nov 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
I do like my smart cover. I preferred the way I could fold it in half on the larger model but, on the mini, it seems to stick to the back fine.

My only issue is the color choices. I wish they had made a black one and made some leather options. The dark gray on black is okay but would have liked a black cover.

Patiently waiting for some third party smart covers to come out. :o

mac jones
Nov 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
I do like my smart cover. I preferred the way I could fold it in half on the larger model but, on the mini, it seems to stick to the back fine.

My only issue is the color choices. I wish they had made a black one and made some leather options. The dark gray on black is okay but would have liked a black cover.

Patiently waiting for some third party smart covers to come out. :o

Yes, its a tragic shame there is not a black one. Nice slate black mini with a bright green cover?

Makes me want to barf. :D

8a22a
Nov 13, 2012, 02:43 AM

I wonder if some iPad mini are missing the internal magnets.

dhy8386
Nov 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Like this?

Yes. This is the best way to fold it. In fact better than the original ipad. Makes the left edge thicker and very easy to hold like this. Good job.

GeorgieAcevedo
Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, its a tragic shame there is not a black one. Nice slate black mini with a bright green cover?

I returned it anyways but green is my favorite color lol

glen e
Nov 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
I wonder if some iPad mini are missing the internal magnets.

the magnets are not in proper position when folded back, they are there to attract when closing and to trigger sleep/wake... buy a .69 cent magnet if you want that - I triple fold it like above with no problem...

drober30
Nov 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
Did not hold the iPad up stable enough for me and left lines on my screen so for $40 no thanks. I returned it.

To many other options out there.

ScottNWDW
Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 AM

I have the nice slate black mini with the (Product) Red cover, looks awesome in my opinion. I also have the (Product) Red case on my black iPad 3 and the (Product) Red bumper on my iPhone 4 and hoping they will come out with one for the iPhone 5

Raysofhope
Nov 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
I bought one yesterday but noticed that the magnet doesn't stick the whole screen, just the right edge.
Is this normal??

Yr Blues
Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
I wish they had made a black one and made some leather options.

I bet they're saving those for the mini deux :p

Raysofhope
Nov 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Can you tell me if the magnetic is due to cover the whole screen or not?
As I said mine sticks only the 1st right edge... If this is not good then I have to complain

YUOWI
Nov 16, 2012, 12:48 AM
First time cover user on the iPad. ;)

Milord
Nov 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
Can you tell me if the magnetic is due to cover the whole screen or not?
As I said mine sticks only the 1st right edge... If this is not good then I have to complain

Mine is like that too, so I guess it's normal.

shenan1982
Nov 18, 2012, 01:52 AM
Good design poor execution. Returned Smart Cover.

Swayzee
Nov 18, 2012, 03:41 AM
I really tried to like it but i think i am going to return it. i take it off when i am using it anyways.. so i might just opt for a slip case.

pommie82
Nov 18, 2012, 03:57 AM
I only bought a smart cover purely just waiting for my otter box case to come till waiting for it now should be here in a couple of weeks

CrAkD
Nov 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
I loved the Smart Cover on the iPad 3 I thought the mini would be just as good if not better now that the metal hinge is covered but it kind of stinks on the mini. I might return it and order a dodo case.

jmgregory1
Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
Not liking the cover on the new 4 (my first iPad). When protecting the screen, it's great, but folded around the back, the tapered profile of the back of the iPad makes the cover not fit perfectly. I'm tempted to try a smart case, but worry about the same issue.

I get that you can roll up the cover when on the back and hold it like a handle, but even that doesn't seem like a natural thing.

canyonblue737
Nov 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
I hated the smart cover on my iPad 2 and 3 mainly for how A) never had a good position when folded to the back (I didn't like the "double fold" suggestion and stretched full length wouldn't stick and B) how the magnet strength was weak enough that when held upside down the cover would unstick many times from the screen (but not the hinge.)

The smart cover on the iPad mini is much better. The magnet seems stronger and sticks well to the screen holding the cover in place no matter the orientation of the mini and most importantly it does stick well when folded around to the back. For the thin easy to remove solution it is a winner for the iPad mini and works well when paired with my sleeve for throwing the whole thing in a bag from time to time.

Izzybeff
Nov 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Nope. Ended up returning it. Bought something else at best buy.

sparkomatic
Nov 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
www.myibrowse.com

My eye brows?? haha just kidding.

noteple
Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
Used one for a week and just took it off.

Wouldn't protect the back or sides so I went to a folio style case.

wesk702
Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
Like for the regular one.
No like for the mini one.

Need that extra fold. Makes a world of difference.

HazyCloud
Nov 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
I like mine, but it's only really for covering the screen when I'm out and about. When I'm at home, I use it with this stand.

dooyou
Nov 20, 2012, 05:17 AM
When I'm at home, I use it with this stand.

Where you got that stand?

HazyCloud
Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Where you got that stand?

It's called the Elago P2 stand.

link (http://www.amazon.com/elago-Stand-Silver-iPad-Tablet/dp/B003QD4D6U)