PDA

View Full Version : How can you live with TN display panel?

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
I don't know how people can look at TN displays. I bought 2012 i7/8/256 MBA and exchanged it to rMBP 15" with additional cost from my hand, but the differences are huge. You get twice for not that much more money, so except for weak people that can't handle 1.5 more lbs a day while "traveling", I can't find any good reason to go with MBA these days.

Eventually it's only $370 difference in pricing (if you get the i7/8/256GB MBA), but with rMBP you get:
1. Retina display
2. Quad-core processor
3. 15"
4. Better speakers
5. More ports

Cons:
Weight, which is not noticeable as a student that puts his computer in his backpack with 1000+ pages books.
If you are in the $1000 range area, so yes, MBA is probably the way to go - but everybody else, really can't see a reason.

m00min
Nov 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
I saw the 15 inch rMBP the other day, I have to say I wasn't impressed. The screen is marginally better but not night and day like comparing and iPad 2 and 3. I have no regrets about buying my MBA and an external monitor. Much more flexible in my opinion.

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
I saw the 15 inch rMBP the other day, I have to say I wasn't impressed. The screen is marginally better but not night and day like comparing and iPad 2 and 3. I have no regrets about buying my MBA and an external monitor. Much more flexible in my opinion.
Whatever I couldn't live with in my MBA is the viewing angles. TN panels are just pure junk and Apple should have offered IPS panels this year, those that they put in cMBP.

m00min
Nov 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
Whatever I couldn't live with in my MBA is the viewing angles. TN panels are just pure junk and Apple should have offered IPS panels this year, those that they put in cMBP.

Do you regularly sit off to the side of your laptop? Most people sit in front of the screen where the viewing angle isn't a problem. But you carry on if you're feeling like you need to justify your choice of hardware.

Whatever.

Artful Dodger
Nov 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
So this is more than just the screen by your list? I'm guessing the question is for those who bought anything before a rMBP or any Mac with a screen or is it just between a rMBP & MBA.

Macral
Nov 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
I had a MBA 13" before getting the rMBP 15".
I was wondering how much better the rMBP screen could.
I thought the MBA screen is fine and looks good to me.
Also, I have already seen the rMBP in store, and it didn't wow me.

Then as I set up the rMBP, I put it side by side with the MBA.
The difference is really noticable.
The rMBP screen is much more beautiful and sharper.

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 07:30 PM
Do you regularly sit off to the side of your laptop? Most people sit in front of the screen where the viewing angle isn't a problem. But you carry on if you're feeling like you need to justify your choice of hardware.

Whatever.
Yes, I sometimes put my laptop on the table and I sit much below the table and need to adjust it all the time. In addition, while I'm in bed and the laptop is on my knees, you need to adjust the display all the time and the colors are changing contently by the angle.

So this is more than just the screen by your list? I'm guessing the question is for those who bought anything before a rMBP or any Mac with a screen or is it just between a rMBP & MBA.
My comment is only for those people who bought the MBA this year in the similar price range of the rMBP (and also the cMBP, but there is a different story). The display plays a major role in choosing between the two, but let's not forget the difference in specs; by all the benchmakrs real world or not, the 15" rMBP is 50% faster than MBA (or 13" rMBP). So you get 50% more power for $370 and get an awesome display, isn't that enough for someone to make a smart decision?

I had a MBA 13" before getting the rMBP 15".
I was wondering how much better the rMBP screen could.
I thought the MBA screen is fine and looks good to me.
Also, I have already seen the rMBP in store, and it didn't wow me.

Then as I set up the rMBP, I put it side by side with the MBA.
The difference is really noticable.
The rMBP screen is much more beautiful and sharper.

People think that whatever they see in the store for 5 min is what it's all about. You need to have rMBP for at least 24 hours to make a decision, but let's see somebody who had rMBP for 24 hours and went back to his or her MBA clamming that there is not much of a difference.

asting
Nov 10, 2012, 07:39 PM

This guy:
http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Sideways-Mac-Russian-Musician.jpg

m00min
Nov 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
My comment is only for those people who bought the MBA this year in the similar price range of the rMBP (and also the cMBP, but there is a different story). The display plays a major role in choosing between the two, but let's not forget the difference in specs; by all the benchmakrs real world or not, the 15" rMBP is 50% faster than MBA (or 13" rMBP). So you get 50% more power for $370 and get an awesome display, isn't that enough for someone to make a smart decision?

I bought the right laptop for my usage pattern. For me portability was higher up on my list of wants than a retina screen. I don't need the extra power that the MBP has, so how precisely would spending an extra $370 be a smart decision?

Stop measuring everyone else's needs by your own, it's making you look narrow minded.

Mrbobb
Nov 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
How can you live with TN display panel?

We make do. Life is a series of compromises.

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
I bought the right laptop for my usage pattern. For me portability was higher up on my list of wants than a retina screen. I don't need the extra power that the MBP has, so how precisely would spending an extra $370 be a smart decision?

Stop measuring everyone else's needs by your own, it's making you look narrow minded.
how 1.5 more pounds can be higher than Retina IPS display? It sounds nonsense to me. There is absolutely no difference between a 2.96lbs laptop and 4.4lbs laptop if you carry it in a backpack or any other computer bag.

m00min
Nov 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
how 1.5 more pounds can be higher than Retina IPS display? It sounds nonsense to me. There is absolutely no difference between a 2.96lbs laptop and 4.4lbs laptop if you carry it in a backpack or any other computer bag.

If you can't see that an 11 inch Air is more portable than a 15 inch, heavier computer there's really not much else I can say.

Not all of us are students wanting to carry around a backpack either.

gertruded
Nov 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
I think this is what is called a "first world problem".

lol And great entertainment.

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
If you can't see that an 11 inch Air is more portable than a 15 inch, heavier computer there's really not much else I can say.

Not all of us are students wanting to carry around a backpack either.
So you carry your laptop in your hands all day? I think an iPad would serve this purpose better than 11 or 13" laptops.

I think this is what is called a "first world problem".

lol And great entertainment.
So by your theory we need to compare on MacRumors who doesn't have AIDS?

m00min
Nov 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
So you carry your laptop in your hands all day? I think an iPad would serve this purpose better than 11 or 13" laptops.

I said I don't use a backpack not any bag at all. An iPad is not a suitable laptop replacement for me to work on.

So by your theory we need to compare on MacRumors who doesn't have AIDS?

LOL. Just LOL.

atMac
Nov 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
"Hi, I'm OP. I refuse to acknowledge other peoples needs or wants and assume everyone is like me, and those who aren't are just wrong."

The price difference in an i7/8g/256g Air and base rMBP with same ram/storage is about $500. For many people $500 is a lot of money(where are you getting 370 from?), a 15in laptop is harder to use on your lap in cramped areas.

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 09:34 PM
"Hi, I'm OP. I refuse to acknowledge other peoples needs or wants and assume everyone is like me, and those who aren't are just wrong."

The price difference in an i7/8g/256g Air and base rMBP with same ram/storage is about $500. For many people $500 is a lot of money(where are you getting 370 from?), a 15in laptop is harder to use on your lap in cramped areas.
I don't refuse to acknowledge for anything, but 1.5 pounds more or less is nothing noticeable, in MY OPINION (better now?).
I had both machines for several months, and if you would have them too, you would realize whatever I'm saying right now. This post is for future buyers, just buy both and walk with them for 13 days and return whatever you don't like (if you can't make a decision and you have the money).
The price difference of $370 is with educational discount that everybody can get, even if you are 70 years old with no connections to education whatsoever.

kylera
Nov 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
It suits my needs. If it doesn't suit yours, don't rant and stay with the Retina.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

Moshe1010
Nov 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
It suits my needs. If it doesn't suit yours, don't rant and stay with the Retina.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.
That's fine, but most of you haven't have both on hand, you just saw it in store for 5 minutes. I want to hear the same thing from people who went from Retina display MacBooks to MBAs, I think there are handful of them if any.

SWPROX
Nov 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
That's fine, but most of you haven't have both on hand, you just saw it in store for 5 minutes. I want to hear the same thing from people who wen from Retina display MacBooks to MBAs, I think there are handful of them if any.

I generally avoid such kiddish threads,but just to put it in your head your way-How do you LIVE with such a HEAVY laptop-yes it is HEAVY :eek:,as you feel that the display on the Air is absolutely trash and impossible to live with,in MY VIEW the weight of the rMBP is like a truck,I guess this will explain it,that different people have different views !!

PS-I Love the rMBP as much as I love my Air,just to put it in the OPs head I said it's a truck to me :D

kylera
Nov 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
That's fine, but most of you haven't have both on hand, you just saw it in store for 5 minutes. I want to hear the same thing from people who wen from Retina display MacBooks to MBAs, I think there are handful of them if any.

Most of us probably DON'T need to have both on hand. We look at the specs online, and that already decides halfway what would work best. Then we go to the stores that have the machines on display and physically fiddle with the goods. Then we make our purchase, and for the most part, we're happy.

What's your beef against the TN display anyway? For the most part, it just works. I don't have beef when I look at my iMac, and then go to my Air.

noteple
Nov 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
Love the light weight and size of the Air when I travel, like on an airplane tray table.

Love the rMBP at work and out in the field for the display.

The Air feels like a clipboard, the rMBP like a chuck of plywood.

Would really like an Air with a retina display.

Macral
Nov 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
I have MBA 13", rMBP 13", and rMBP 15".

The MBA is much more portable. Yeah the screen is not as good, but I still can live with it, especially during traveling.
You might think that 1.5 pounds is not much, but for me, like many other people, that's a bit much considering you also add up other things in your bag.

Oh TN panel is actually quite good. I used to have Sony Vaio Z (1080p in 13.1inch screen) that have much higher color gamut than rMBP. And due to worse viewing angle, I don't have to worry as much when I am on the plane.

Lucianrider
Nov 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
The Thread Starter is a pompous a$$!
I just purchased the base model 13" MBA and compared to my 2008 Macbook unibody the display is incredible.
I also spent a bit of time playing with the rMBP and yes it is nice but for my needs there is no way I could justify the extra money.

I also have a 21.5" fully loaded BTO 2011 iMac which is my main machine, the laptops only have to run Office and a browser and thats perfect for me.

So get off you high horse and just enjoy your rMBP; the rest of us will enjoy the Air for what it is: an amazing lightweight, beautifully made laptop that is perfect for the other 75% of laptop users...

Artful Dodger
Nov 10, 2012, 11:36 PM

If this was clear to start with (maybe edit your post/title or actually compose it properly to begin with) I wouldn't have wasted my time to engage in a mutual exchange of justifications listed on your part. Although you never mentioned why you chose the MBA in the first place but I'll save you the reply as the comment from me is purely rhetorical.

Moshe1010
Nov 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
If this was clear to start with (maybe edit your post/title or actually compose it properly to begin with) I wouldn't have wasted my time to engage in a mutual exchange of justifications listed on your part. Although you never mentioned why you chose the MBA in the first place but I'll save you the reply as the comment from me is purely rhetorical.
I'm sorry, but who invited you to reply on this thread from the first place? I don't. Why do you think your reply is so important? maybe it's a time to go down from the tree you are living on.

wditters
Nov 11, 2012, 02:45 AM

I fly to Budapest once or twice a week to see my team, with cheap flights and a 10kg cabin luggage limit. They weigh your cabin luggage at every single check-in as well as measure its outer dimensions. Any excess weight automatically adds 60 euros plus a forced luggage check-in. I have optimized my travel habits to the extent that I can fit two full suits, shoes, toiletry kit and my all my electronics in my Crumpler Landing Gear bag. Believe me, The MBA is a perfect companion in scenarios where every ounce counts. No rMBP for me, thanks. My MBA i7 2.0 8Gb 512Gb in that respect is as much powerhouse as I can squeeze into the above scenario, and it works wonders .... :-)

m00min
Nov 11, 2012, 04:19 AM
I'm sorry, but who invited you to reply on this thread from the first place? I don't. Why do you think your reply is so important? maybe it's a time to go down from the tree you are living on.

Do you not know how a forum works? Maybe it's time for you to grow up, you're looking like a spoiled kid.

iDave
Nov 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
:) This is somewhat like an aristocrat who lives in a 20 room mansion looking down on someone who lives in a 10 room mansion. "How can you live like that?!!"

Artful Dodger
Nov 11, 2012, 09:28 AM

It's an open forum and by the title & subject matter you have invited not only me but others to join. If you only want a few then imply, infer and properly state that in the title or within the first entry/post to narrow the field of viewing and response.

If you are looking for your next or current argumentative paper for class or a persuasive essay keep working at it as you were the one being condescending here, I merely asked questions to a specific agenda you had omitted, be it by design or just in a hastily rant. If the goal is something entirely different it's called or could be called a creative writing paper (maybe an online class here now).

To further your subject, I have been looking at purchasing a MBA, though you compare a 13" (we shall say Mac) to a 15". I could also compare via your implied subjective list and title with how can you do anything worth while on a 15" when I use two monitors myself (pretty self-centered on my part then huh)?

You still didn't answer my questions but deflect as you may…Just keep in mind you first purchased the 13" MBA which contradicts all your "as to" list so was it money related for you then or choice? MBP had better options then and you still chose the 13" MBA which I don't think this makes a good supportive paper for you either at this point about this subject but I'm open to all input, nice and easy :rolleyes:

Wait, that reminds me as I type from it now, I have my 17" MBP and until the 15" rMBP it was the five bedroom house of the group, so why would you buy a 13" MBA back when you did if screen quality mattered or options when the 17" (by your very comparative words) had a better screen and options? Should one infer you needed time to get stronger, I joke but you keep bringing this up.

You seem to be stuck here a bit for some reason but then you go back to "deflecting any questions/replies" you don't like or at this time are unable to deal with in a civil matter without lashing out multiple times at multiple folks here.

That very statement above would be demeaning to others because I don't feel the same as you do and what type of Mac a person has is based on needs, maybe wants as well and what they can afford or just straight up like. So, the why question, travel with 4-6 bags of gear, now add a suitcase and then another person if need be and the MBA be it the 13" or 11" works nice sitting in the front seat of a vehicle, plane or even on a tether table to view stuff in tight places. I find my 17" just fine though students make up the most issue with weight so why do you think that the 13" line was the greatest selling Mac in the laptop lineup? Wonder why?

Price, portability and all around good value for the price. Right now the screens are the bonus but at a price because you can't expand on either rMBP and I do think you are ignorant about what this lineup use to be and for most still is, people who need power and more power later with room to grow.

Unfortunately, you seem quite angry or unhappy for a person who should be quite happy with either choice, yes choice both of which you made as you pointed out to which you chose not to answer thus far.

I like trees :D When it's time (not it's a time) And I will (it's get down, not go down) remove myself from the trees when no one wants to chop them down to their size to see their beauty at a lower level instead of from the trees view all around, just how they were intended to grow (food for thought free).

atMac
Nov 11, 2012, 09:44 AM
I don't refuse to acknowledge for anything, but 1.5 pounds more or less is nothing noticeable, in MY OPINION (better now?).
I had both machines for several months, and if you would have them too, you would realize whatever I'm saying right now. This post is for future buyers, just buy both and walk with them for 13 days and return whatever you don't like (if you can't make a decision and you have the money).
The price difference of $370 is with educational discount that everybody can get, even if you are 70 years old with no connections to education whatsoever.

I have had them both, I personally have an Air and work gave me a 15in rMBP for testing our software on. It's nice, but I'd prefer a regular MBP if I was to get a machine that big.

Elijen
Nov 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, I sometimes put my laptop on the table and I sit much below the table and need to adjust it all the time. In addition, while I'm in bed and the laptop is on my knees, you need to adjust the display all the time and the colors are changing contently by the angle.

I have cMBP 13" and I didn't notice any problems with the display. Actually it's pretty good compared to majority of current notebooks, the viewing angles are pretty good too. I never had to adjust display because of shifted colors while in bed, under table or wherever. Sure 4x times more pixels would be great, but it does not worth the money for me.

$370 is not few money. Here in Europe the difference between rMPB and MBA/cMBP pricing is even bigger. Plus the fact, that you cannot upgrade/replace RAM yourself and overall repairability of the machine is very low makes price difference much bigger.

thekev
Nov 11, 2012, 10:25 AM

They didn't use IPS in the cMBP. The rMBP uses IPS where the cMBP is still using TN. The cMBP line really deserves a display upgrade. I'm guessing they intend to eventually slide the rMBP into the $1800 starting price point. They often debut new stuff at the top. If there are problems and unforeseen costs, they can absorb them easier that way.

limesmoothie
Nov 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
:) This is somewhat like an aristocrat who lives in a 20 room mansion looking down on someone who lives in a 10 room mansion. "How can you live like that?!!"

It is what is termed in the UK, 'middle class nightmares'. The screens on some people's 1,200 laptops aren't quite crisp enough for my liking...:)

mr.bee
Nov 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
Stating your own preference as a common standard makes you look like a prick, self absorbed and arrogant, just sayin'.

I've just bought a macbook air i7 with 8 gigs to boost up.

i've considered a pro but in the end decided to go with the air because of the following reasons.

a) the mbpr is a rev a product. (still a rule for me :-))
b) the performance of the mbpr is stellar, so are the demands of the retina screen.
c) the retina display is not as bright as the air or any other display. it annoys me alot.
d) i can buy a mba now and see if it suits me, if it doesn't i can buy something else in the nearby future. i can't do that the other way around.
e) i have a nice screen at home. so i will only use the mba screen on the go, and that's what the mba is ment for even more so than a mbp.
f) laptop performance is incredible these days, most users do not need the performance of a mbp. so i consider mbpr a luxury item for me.

Calot
Nov 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
I don't know how people can look at TN displays. I bought 2012 i7/8/256 MBA and exchanged it to rMBP 15" with additional cost from my hand, but the differences are huge. You get twice for not that much more money, so except for weak people that can't handle 1.5 more lbs a day while "traveling", I can't find any good reason to go with MBA these days.

Eventually it's only $370 difference in pricing (if you get the i7/8/256GB MBA), but with rMBP you get:
1. Retina display
2. Quad-core processor
3. 15"
4. Better speakers
5. More ports

Cons:
Weight, which is not noticeable as a student that puts his computer in his backpack with 1000+ pages books.
If you are in the $1000 range area, so yes, MBA is probably the way to go - but everybody else, really can't see a reason.

It's just not the weight.

While the rMBP is much more powerful, I feel the MBA to be a lot snappier.

Webpages lag, as well as some apps on the rMBP.

The screen is too reflective.

It has a video card, sure. But you can not run any newer games at native resolution at more than 30 FPS.

If they improve the screen's reflectiveness and duplicate the vRAM, I may pick up one.

But for now, I am in love with my 3-month-old i7/8GB/256 Air.

thejadedmonkey
Nov 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
For one, I got an anti-glare screen instead of a glossy. What good is an IPS screen if I can't see anything on it? :rolleyes:

----------

It has a video card, sure. But you can not run any newer games at native resolution at more than 30 FPS.

Who games on a mac? I have a desktop PC and a few consoles for that...

I'm serious, not trolling. Even the best mac GPU's are only average compared to a comparable PC GPU, and that's when the mac is new. Give it a year and they start to really show their age.

Artful Dodger
Nov 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
For one, I got an anti-glare screen instead of a glossy. What good is an IPS screen if I can't see anything on it? :rolleyes:

----------

I'm serious, not trolling. Even the best mac GPU's are only average compared to a comparable PC GPU, and that's when the mac is new. Give it a year and they start to really show their age.
Couldn't agree more though I'm looking forward to SimCity which is one of few games I'd play on a Mac at this point.

Also fwiw I have an iPad2 and bought that over a MBA, I was hoping to have a small form factor to do travel stuff with however the 11" or 13" MBA would have been a better choice not needing pro mobile power.

Nova Sensei
Nov 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
MBA and a nice external monitor works better for me. It also works better for some other people. For others a rMBP works best. This is why Apple and most other corporations offer more than one product. Not a difficult concept to understand.

Acronyc
Nov 11, 2012, 07:26 PM

----------

Not everyone has a desktop PC and a few consoles just for gaming in addition to a Mac. I would imagine for many people their notebook computer is their only gaming platform. I'm not sure if you're comparing notebook Mac GPUs to desktop PC GPUs, but as far as notebooks go, in my experience the 15" rMBP is a very capable card for gaming.

l0gikb0mb
Nov 11, 2012, 09:40 PM

LOL. Less difference than iPad 2 to 3???

iPad 2 and 3 both had IPS displays. 3 just had the 'retina' screen which doubled the resolution.

MBA has a serviceable (at best) screen that is not IPS and is complete garbage. It could be at least an IPS screen, I don't care for resolution doubling. rMBP has both IPS and double the res, and you can't notice that? Please.

I had one, returned it, and went with the MBP 13". It was fantastic, the screen was a much better TN panel with so much better colors. The MBA is a joke in regards to screen.

FYI: I returned it eventually as I found a good price on another laptop [with IPS screen]. So I can offer some objectivity, unlike these people trying to justify their purchases on their overpriced laptop.

ixodes
Nov 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
I don't know how people can look at TN displays.
It's easy for me to use a TN display. I simply open _both_ my eyes. Oh sure, I realize that's a radical approach, but it works for me.

It is a bit tiring however, since my primary work computer is my 15" MBPr. With this one I don't even have to open my eyes. It's very relaxing.

brentsg
Nov 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
FYI: I returned it eventually as I found a good price on another laptop [with IPS screen]. So I can offer some objectivity, unlike these people trying to justify their purchases on their overpriced laptop.

So your amazing objectivity is that you dumped your Air and bought something else with an IPS display. So basically you're just trying to justify your purchase.

Just using your logic.. I find the concept pretty juvenile.

DrumApple
Nov 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
I agree, the screens on the MBA models are pretty obsolete for today and for the money.

buddybd
Nov 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
I have no need for a Retina on a notebook I use only for surfing and typing, I have a full desktop for all my other needs.

$370 will come in handy when I buy something else, I just don't need to spend it on something I do not need at all. Maybe when they have Retina Airs I will consider getting one, but for now the light load stuff I do on my Air does not need anything more.

Edit: Forgot to mention, everything else I have does have IPS displays and have had one for years. But when it comes to notebooks, I can make the compromise.

Moshe1010
Nov 11, 2012, 11:02 PM

iPad 2 and 3 both had IPS displays. 3 just had the 'retina' screen which doubled the resolution.

MBA has a serviceable (at best) screen that is not IPS and is complete garbage. It could be at least an IPS screen, I don't care for resolution doubling. rMBP has both IPS and double the res, and you can't notice that? Please.

I had one, returned it, and went with the MBP 13". It was fantastic, the screen was a much better TN panel with so much better colors. The MBA is a joke in regards to screen.

It's is super overpriced. Even comparing the 13" rMBP to the i7/8/256GB Air is just funny. The 13" rMBP i5/8/256 is running right now for $1800 (Fry's), which is $100 more expensive than the Air.

Except for the person who commented here that he is flying and on the margin all the time with the weight, I can't see any good reason to buy MBA in the $1500-2000 price range.
Sure, people make their own decision whatever fits them the best, but this thread was opened to give another perspective for new buyers and probably ignore most people here who are trying to justify their crappy displays and that they "can't see a lot of difference between Retina displays and MBA displays" - it's the same as saying that you can't see a difference between double D boobs and B boobs.
If weight is really a concern, it's better to buy the overpriced rMBP 13", which is just 0.5 lbs more than the AIR, but you get 200% (IPS + double the pixels) greater display.

coldjeanzzz
Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 PM
I've noticed a lot of people around here seem to be of the mentality that if you're going to spend X amount on a Mac you might as well spend X+200, 300, 400, etc. It a pretty absurd jump in logic to me.

Maybe some of you are filthy rich or don't have to worry about how the laptop will get paid for, but to me there is a big difference between paying $1200 for a machine and $1500. That's $300 that could be used for a multitude of other things. For most of us going all out on the specs just for the hell of it would just be a waste of money.

l0gikb0mb
Nov 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
So your amazing objectivity is that you dumped your Air and bought something else with an IPS display. So basically you're just trying to justify your purchase.

Just using your logic.. I find the concept pretty juvenile.

Where did I once praise -my- laptop? Or even list what it was? I'm not looking for any sort of justification, but you'd see that if you could get past your love for Apple.

I have many complaints about my laptop, but for me, it outweights the pros/cons with the other ones. I'm not going to sit here and say it's perfect if it has an obvious hideous display, like the MBA. I have no loyalty to any brand.

I would prefer Apple's attention to detail on their laptops, but do not want to spend over $2K on an rMBP.

yinz
Nov 12, 2012, 05:19 AM
Oh TN panel is actually quite good. I used to have Sony Vaio Z (1080p in 13.1inch screen) that have much higher color gamut than rMBP. And due to worse viewing angle, I don't have to worry as much when I am on the plane.

I totally agree about the viewing angle. I don't want people peeking at my screen while I'm working in the go. I travel a lot and have to work while I'm travelling sometimes. This viewing angle "issue" is an advantage to me.

Also, a grown man wearing a back pack with two straps just looks weird.

Colpeas
Nov 12, 2012, 10:24 AM

AFAIC they don't put IPS displays in non-retina MBP's.

Or do they?

Psychj0e
Nov 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
I like the 11" air because it's so small, I can just pop it out whenever I have spare few moments and use it to work etc. It makes me productive.

It's also good for working in enclosed spaces, like on trains/planes where the resting tray is often only big enough to comfortably accomodate a small form notebook.

Dear OP, please tell me in which ways I'd be better off using a 15" laptop in these situations, that costs three times as much, and takes up a lot more space. Also, did you notice - when speaking about why it is useful to me, most of my points where about how the smaller screen is the point I like about it most.

Also, maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that your main usuage for your rMBP is to play Angry Birds on 2560 * 1256 pixels. Has it occured to you most of have different usuages for our product, such as for real work?

jjhoekstra
Nov 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
The Thread Starter is a pompous a$$!
I just purchased the base model 13" MBA and compared to my 2008 Macbook unibody the display is incredible.
I also spent a bit of time playing with the rMBP and yes it is nice but for my needs there is no way I could justify the extra money.

I also have a 21.5" fully loaded BTO 2011 iMac which is my main machine, the laptops only have to run Office and a browser and thats perfect for me.

So get off you high horse and just enjoy your rMBP; the rest of us will enjoy the Air for what it is: an amazing lightweight, beautifully made laptop that is perfect for the other 75% of laptop users...

Hear, hear!!! I have a rMBP, my son has a MBA. They are both amazing products. The screen on the MBA is very good. If you think it is rubbish it says very much about you and very little about the MBA.

Kafka
Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
This thread needs to die.

Psychj0e
Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
Funny thing was, the OP was only "happy" with his rMBP after lots of exchanges until he got the brand screen he wanted, and even then it has a dead pixel!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1483107

m00min
Nov 13, 2012, 06:37 AM

Please feel free to tell me where I said I didn't notice the difference. I said the difference was not as noticeable. This is due to sitting further away from a laptop than a tablet.

Maybe that's the problem with all you screen snobs, move the screen off the end of your nose.

... So I can offer some objectivity, unlike these people trying to justify their purchases on their overpriced laptop.

Personally I don't need to justify anything. Buy whatever suits you, I really don't give a damn. The only person I can see trying to justify anything is the OP.

----------

Funny thing was, the OP was only "happy" with his rMBP after lots of exchanges until he got the brand screen he wanted, and even then it has a dead pixel!

Hehe. This is why I'd rather buy a good external monitor than one embedded in a machine where it might cause me to mess around with replacements and repairs.

quickbrownfox
Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Also, maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that your main usuage for your rMBP is to play Angry Birds on 2560 * 1256 pixels. Has it occured to you most of have different usuages for our product, such as for real work?

I'm sure you are right. I'm not sure why I drop by these forums (maybe it's like stopping to look at an accident - you just can't help it) but it does seem to be overpopulated by children comparing specifications, playing games, etc. rather than using computers for actual paid work.

Moshe1010
Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 PM

I prefer 50 dead pixels on a Retina display than buying a laptop with TN display for $1700.

m00min
Nov 14, 2012, 01:51 AM
I prefer 50 dead pixels on a Retina display than buying a laptop with TN display for $1700.

That's the most idiotic comment in this thread.

Moshe1010
Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 AM
That's the most idiotic comment in this thread.
Keep justifying your crap purchase :)

AoS
Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 AM
Glad your mommy and daddy could please your spoiled ass. Most of us have to make due with compromises and personal preference and weigh the pros/cons of justifying an extra $300 something for a better screen. I love my air for when I'm on the go, and am more than happy to plug it into my high res 27' display when I want it docked.

0x000000
Nov 14, 2012, 03:02 AM
Why does a student even have such a computer and why do we have to argue with them? It's like discussing whether the iPhone 5 is superior to whatever with an 8-year-old who got it on christmas.

TN panels are worse than IPS panels but still fine enough - you guys are just being snobs. I actually do have the 13" rMBP and love the screen to bits... but I've seen so many agencies and designers earning truckloads of money while working with TN panels, that I don't even bother anymore.

They say:

1. Most people have TN panels anyway, so who cares?
2. If it's for print, we'll have proofs anyway, so who cares?

And those people make the things you're looking at with your IPS panels :rolleyes:

BeginnerXP
Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 AM
I actually wanted rMBP 15" more when I purchased my MBA, but the almost 1000$ extra I'll have to pay prevented me to get it. If I'm upgrading this MBA to newer model, I'm fine with non-retina, but I hope at least Apple start using IPS panel on next generation of MBA.

m00min
Nov 14, 2012, 05:10 AM

I'm not trying to justify anything, as I've already stated I bought the best machine for my needs. Haven't you got homework to do?

maflynn
Nov 14, 2012, 05:51 AM
Thread closed due to incessant arguments and bickering.