Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iluveunc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I'm not sure if I've been completely shadowed from the market recently but I've just noticed within the past few months that glass screen protectors are getting quite popular. For those of you that own one: what one is your favorite? What is the difference between them and typical screen protectors like Invisible Shields? How in the world are they installed? Thanks to all of you in advance! I am really interested in them but don't want to end up making a poor choice in switching to them.

WuMyster

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Glass is the way to go. There is nothing like them, they feel exactly the same as your screen without giving off cheap looks or disgusting textures like the invisible shields. All you do is place it ontop of your screen and that's it.
There are 2 that are highly popular: Glas.tr/glas.t and the bodyguardz pure.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Agree. They feel/look great. There are 2 on the market that are basically the same. Either one works well.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I absolutely love the Spigen Glas.tr. I just exchanged my iPhone and I'm hoping I can do a perfect job of applying it this time. Think I'll take it with me on my next business trip and try to put it on at the hotel (a LOT more free of dust than my house!)

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
The only bad thing about the glass protector is its weight. If they can make it lighter but still protective, it's a huge plus.

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011
The only bad thing about the glass protector is its weight. If they can make it lighter but still protective, it's a huge plus.

Agreed.
Only downside with glass: thickness and weight.

Not a big deal for me, even when compared to ones w.o glass protectors.
The pros outweigh these two cons by A LOT.

Some may say price is a factor, but when you are getting a screen protector of this value and quality, I'd say the price is justified.

Bodyguardz Pure vs Spigen Glas.Tr.
Pretty much the same besides Bodyguardz offering $14 lifetime replacements.

I've heard that Spigen has been giving out $7.77 coupons (pretty much free shipping). Bodyguardz had the 50% promotion going on for quite awhile, maybe try to find one or message their rep on the forums.

Everyone that has touched my phone, wanted a Pure right after.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
IMPORTANT INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

Use water with a little soap on your cover. Place the cover under the tap with a small bit if soap. Then lay the cover over the screen. Use a credit card to smooth the cover with no bubbles or creases. Let the cover dry in position.
Job done.

I have just done this with my powershot s110. You can't just lay the cover over dry and expect to get a proper finish. Water and a small amount of soapy water is essential.

You can thank me later.

golfgrouch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Venice, CA
They're nice, but too expensive for what they are, especially if you mess up the install. Also, they still scratch.

Because of the price, I think it's a better value to just purchase Applecare and go without screen protection.

Last edited:

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
They're nice, but too expensive, especially if you mess up the install. Also, they still scratch.

Because of the price, I think it's a better value to just purchase Applecare and go without screen protection.

They aren't that difficult to get right if you do it in a steamy bathroom using the "hinge method".

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I'm sure they are great and I know everyone that has one and uses one swears by them and all but I just think its weird notion to protect glass by putting more glass on it.

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
They aren't that difficult to get right if you do it in a steamy bathroom using the "hinge method".

I Googled hinge method after reading about it on here -- I had no clue what it meant.

After watching a few videos I tried it and I installed a variety of screen protectors virtually perfectly.

I used to be really awful at installing screen protectors. I'd generally get frustrated if it was a little off or or there was a bubble that wouldn't go away and I ended up wasting a ton of money.

After using the hinge method I never ran into a problem with an install.

WuMyster

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
They're nice, but too expensive for what they are, especially if you mess up the install. Also, they still scratch.

100% disagree. I find that it is so worth it. Also, almost no one nowadays messes up a install because of the hinge method!

golfgrouch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Venice, CA
It was a flat camera screen surface, I don't see the difference it would be the same right?

It seems that the installation instructions for all of the currently available glass iPhone screen protectors are "dry", i.e. without fluids or gels. It's unclear whether the adhesive used in these products are suitable for a "wet" install. The adhesive could be different from that used in plastic film screen protectors that are suitable for a "wet" install.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I'm not sure if I've been completely shadowed from the market recently but I've just noticed within the past few months that glass screen protectors are getting quite popular. For those of you that own one: what one is your favorite? What is the difference between them and typical screen protectors like Invisible Shields? How in the world are they installed? Thanks to all of you in advance! I am really interested in them but don't want to end up making a poor choice in switching to them.

A lot of people don't like the height they add to your phone. I tried one out, and liked it but the form factor change wasn't so great.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
The added thickness (0.4mm) and weight is pretty miniscule. Perhaps not as minimal as a regular screen protector but even twice as thick is splitting hairs. I would think a bigger complaint is the depressed home button and feeling of the raised glass edge along the sides of the phone, as least in my experience.

iluveunc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Do these/will these glass screen protectors work with aluminum bumpers? I have an Element Case Sector 5 on the way and it would be a bummer if it didn't work. I suppose the glass may be sitting up higher than the case?

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Do these/will these glass screen protectors work with aluminum bumpers? I have an Element Case Sector 5 on the way and it would be a bummer if it didn't work. I suppose the glass may be sitting up higher than the case?

Sector 5 works perfectly with the Spigen Glas.t (and the R variant) as well as the Bodyguardz Pure.

Of the three, I'd recommend the Pure from personal use.

Keep in mind, with the Sector 5 case, the glass protector will always be on the table if you put your phone face down. The Sector 5 doesn't come up far enough to cover the extra .4mm of the protector. Just so you're aware. Still love my Sector 5 + Pure, just thought you should know :)

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I absolutely LOVE my Bodyguardz Pure. I had no idea how much better a glass screen protector feels until I installed it. I am convincing everyone to get one.

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011
The depressed home button isn't even a big deal. Makes it easy to find my phone right-side up. I've sort of grown fond of it. :D

The adhesive on the glass protectors is weird. Not sure what it is yet, but apparently it's some sort of sticky residue. That's why if you touch it, the residue will come off and that part will not stick anymore.

It's not like regular screen protectors, so follow the company instructions who made the product and not some unknown online guy's instructions to wash and put soap on it (which is essentially what manufactures gives you [application gel/spray]).

There is no gel/spray given with the glass protectors for a reason... be wary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.