PDA

View Full Version : I've had a 920 for a few days and I'm really torn

b166er
Nov 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
I picked up a Lumia 920 on Friday and I've been trying to use it as much as possible while I am still in my 14 day return window. But I'm coming up short in a few areas.

Pros-
-I think WP8 is awesome- the live tiles are great for seeing a lot of information quickly without doing a lot of opening and closing. Setting up a tile for a contact is second to none when it comes to keeping tabs on your close friends.
-The camera is awesome, there is no way around it. The extra lenses are great, the city lens feature is great, all around the camera smokes every other cell phone camera I've ever used.
-The screen is gorgeous, and I don't think I can go back to the iPhone 4S screen now. I never thought I'd be in the larger screen camp, but this thing has converted me.
-Office is integrated nicely
-the nokia maps (beta) are very nice, not perfect, but they smoke iOS maps.

Cons-
-The signal strength is weird. I'll be showing 5 bars of "4G" on my iPhone, and 1 bar on the 920. Yesterday I was in an LTE covered area and I had 1 bar of EDGE. Something weird going on there, I checked all my settings and can't see any issues there.
-Apps, of course. Most of what I need is available, but there is no skype, no dropbox, and no way to do google video chat. Those are pretty big misses for me personally. I expect those things will come in time, but not knowing when makes it hard for me to dedicate myself to the platform.
-Battery life seems all over the place. I used the Nokia Drive app for an hour yesterday and my battery barely budged. Today I was very busy at work and I only played with the phone for a few minutes, checking facebook and the like, and my battery went down to 60% pretty quick.
-Facebook integration on the OS is great, but the facebook app sucks. I use facebook enough for that to matter, unfortunately.
-The lockscreen has almost no functionality. I was hoping to be able to set up something in the vain of lockinfo like a jailbroken iPhone, but there is very little you can do here.

Anyone else using this phone and have any input? I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen now. I am not a huge Android fan, but it looks like an S3 would be more in the direction I'm looking to go. But damn, I would really miss the WP8 tiles.

Akash.B
Nov 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
I have hopped and skipped from phone to phone in the past two months and I've finally gotten the Lumia. I'm having the weird issue with the battery too, but I'm pretty sure I just have to go through the cycles a few times before it starts behaving.
My main reason to get the Lumia was the fluidity and camera. Both are beyond what I expected. I know some major apps are missing, but I know they will be coming out as time goes on (Skype has to come, Microsoft owns it now!) I use the mobile version of Facebook on the browser and let the built in functionality tell me about any updates.
I think it will be hard to go back to any other device for me. iPhone has great apps and is smooth, but the screen isn't as exceptional. The GS3 has the customization, but for some reason lags (not majorly, but in minute enough amounts to become annoying)

Bkasm
Nov 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
Almost everything you mentioned can be handled through updates. Apps will come in time, if it gets the support. Which I believe it will. I'm using the Facebook app from the app store without any real problems. It's certainly not any worse than what I had on my iPhone.

I haven't personally had any issues with signal strength. My battery has also been fine from what I noticed, perhaps, like the other person said, you need a couple more cycles on it.

It just depends if you're willing to wait.

3bs
Nov 11, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have hopped and skipped from phone to phone in the past two months and I've finally gotten the Lumia. I'm having the weird issue with the battery too, but I'm pretty sure I just have to go through the cycles a few times before it starts behaving.
My main reason to get the Lumia was the fluidity and camera. Both are beyond what I expected. I know some major apps are missing, but I know they will be coming out as time goes on (Skype has to come, Microsoft owns it now!) I use the mobile version of Facebook on the browser and let the built in functionality tell me about any updates.
I think it will be hard to go back to any other device for me. iPhone has great apps and is smooth, but the screen isn't as exceptional. The GS3 has the customization, but for some reason lags (not majorly, but in minute enough amounts to become annoying)

You're right about the GS3 lagging. I never noticed it until I started using my friends and my sisters and they both lag compared to mine. I rooted and flashed a custom ROM (currently CM10) that's probably why mine is smooth. I think they were both on ICS though so maybe JB would take care of that.

Vegastouch
Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
I picked up a Lumia 920 on Friday and I've been trying to use it as much as possible while I am still in my 14 day return window. But I'm coming up short in a few areas.

Pros-
-I think WP8 is awesome- the live tiles are great for seeing a lot of information quickly without doing a lot of opening and closing. Setting up a tile for a contact is second to none when it comes to keeping tabs on your close friends.
-The camera is awesome, there is no way around it. The extra lenses are great, the city lens feature is great, all around the camera smokes every other cell phone camera I've ever used.
-The screen is gorgeous, and I don't think I can go back to the iPhone 4S screen now. I never thought I'd be in the larger screen camp, but this thing has converted me.
-Office is integrated nicely
-the nokia maps (beta) are very nice, not perfect, but they smoke iOS maps.

Cons-
-The signal strength is weird. I'll be showing 5 bars of "4G" on my iPhone, and 1 bar on the 920. Yesterday I was in an LTE covered area and I had 1 bar of EDGE. Something weird going on there, I checked all my settings and can't see any issues there.
-Apps, of course. Most of what I need is available, but there is no skype, no dropbox, and no way to do google video chat. Those are pretty big misses for me personally. I expect those things will come in time, but not knowing when makes it hard for me to dedicate myself to the platform.
-Battery life seems all over the place. I used the Nokia Drive app for an hour yesterday and my battery barely budged. Today I was very busy at work and I only played with the phone for a few minutes, checking facebook and the like, and my battery went down to 60% pretty quick.
-Facebook integration on the OS is great, but the facebook app sucks. I use facebook enough for that to matter, unfortunately.
-The lockscreen has almost no functionality. I was hoping to be able to set up something in the vain of lockinfo like a jailbroken iPhone, but there is very little you can do here.

Anyone else using this phone and have any input? I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen now. I am not a huge Android fan, but it looks like an S3 would be more in the direction I'm looking to go. But damn, I would really miss the WP8 tiles.

What do you mean there is no Skype? My Wife has a Windows phone (running 7.5) and she has Skype on it. There is a new Skype revamp coming soon to Windows 8 so maybe that is why?

b166er
Nov 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
What do you mean there is no Skype? My Wife has a Windows phone (running 7.5) and she has Skype on it. There is a new Skype revamp coming soon to Windows 8 so maybe that is why?

Skype is not available on the 920 as far as I can tell. MS says it is "coming soon"- I was a little upset to find this out because on several WP8 demos they clearly had a Skype tile on the screens, and the 920 is a WP8 flagship and there is no Skype yet. As it stands right now, the front facing camera serves no real purpose on the 920, unless you seriously take a lot of pictures of your own face. Skype and Google chat are the two biggest video chat options out there and neither of them are available.

All the hardware is awesome, I'm just struggling with some of these apps not being around. I know developers need some time to get it together, I'm not writing off the platform or anything. I'm just wondering how other 920/WP8 users are coping.

----------

Almost everything you mentioned can be handled through updates.

Yeah that's true. I just don't want to fall back in to that mentality. I've been saying this about iOS for years now. If I could get the app selection of iOS and a lockinfo alternative on the 920 I would be in bliss. I really do dig WP8 a lot, I was just a little surprised that it is as closed off as iOS, maybe even more so.

The more I talk about it the more I can hear everyone thinking "what he wants is Android" but I'd love to not go down that road if I can avoid it.

Vegastouch
Nov 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Skype is not available on the 920 as far as I can tell. MS says it is "coming soon"- I was a little upset to find this out because on several WP8 demos they clearly had a Skype tile on the screens, and the 920 is a WP8 flagship and there is no Skype yet. As it stands right now, the front facing camera serves no real purpose on the 920, unless you seriously take a lot of pictures of your own face. Skype and Google chat are the two biggest video chat options out there and neither of them are available.

All the hardware is awesome, I'm just struggling with some of these apps not being around. I know developers need some time to get it together, I'm not writing off the platform or anything. I'm just wondering how other 920/WP8 users are coping.

I wouldnt worry about it. Im sure it just isnt optomized for windows 8 yet but it will be soon. I think they are revamping it a lot for Windows 8 so you dont have it now, but when you do, it should be a lot better than it was.

Have some patience, it will come. Just like Maps is messed up on the iP5...it will get better but people have to cope.

Did you look to see if Tango is in the App store? That does video chat as well.

MuffCabbage
Nov 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
I think Skype came out for WP8 today in preview form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ORw8WaX3EWM

b166er
Nov 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
yeah I saw that but I think it was pulled down already. The link is dead from a PC and when you search for Skype from the phone it's still not there.

Vegastouch
Nov 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
Skype looks pretty cool once it comes and i bet it will be soon. That phone with the new tile setup looks impressive. I wish the 920 was also at T-Mobile. The off contract price is good too. $100 more than the Nexus 4 but still, it has twice the memory and perhaps a better camera.

Id be very torn if i could get both. Anybody ever heard if you can unlock a Windows phone? Id rather have either one over an iPhone 5.

blackfox
Nov 11, 2012, 09:58 PM
Skype looks pretty cool once it comes and i bet it will be soon. That phone with the new tile setup looks impressive. I wish the 920 was also at T-Mobile. The off contract price is good too. $100 more than the Nexus 4 but still, it has twice the memory and perhaps a better camera.

Id be very torn if i could get both. Anybody ever heard if you can unlock a Windows phone? Id rather have either one over an iPhone 5.

I believe best buy offers unlocked Nokia Lumia 920s, and they are/were matching AT&T's price ($450 vs $600).

I've had a 920 for a few days and I love it.

Vegastouch
Nov 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
I believe best buy offers unlocked Nokia Lumia 920s, and they are/were matching AT&T's price ($450 vs $600).

I've had a 920 for a few days and I love it.

Ill have to go there tomorrow and check it out. Does the 920 use a micro sim?

flameproof
Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
There is certainly Skype.....:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/skype-for-windows-phone/

It's a reminder too that you can download and install apps from other sources, unlike iOS.

thejadedmonkey
Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
I've been using an 820 since Friday and think it's fantastic. Sure Skype isn't out yet, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft will get Skype into user hands soon. It's a great phone, great OS... It's really nice!

Bkasm
Nov 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
This might interest you...

http://www.wpcentral.com/skype-preview-windows-phone-8-now-available-hands-video

blackfox
Nov 12, 2012, 12:09 AM
Ill have to go there tomorrow and check it out. Does the 920 use a micro sim?

Yes. You should at least do a hands-on before purchase anyways. Untill you see it in person you can't really appreciate the design elements, and the weight may be an issue. I don't mind the latter at all, but opinions may vary.

Vegastouch
Nov 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
Messed around with a 920 today at a AT&T store.

I was very impressed with it. I dont think thickness of it is an issues at all and found it to be a bit thinner than i was expecting. Has a bit of weight to it but not like it is too heavy. It is a lot heavier than the HTC 8X which they also had but not something that is a deal breaker.
Nicely built, i like the feel of the plastic back....feels solid and the screen was beautiful. I liked the screen on it better than on the HTC 8X. Colors IMO were nicer. Both worked well.

I actually loved the feel of the HTC 8X. The back is nice. Has a slight rubberish feel to the back...just enough to make it feel different and a decent grip and it was much thinner but if i had to choose between them, id pick the Lumia. Great phone.

I didnt get a confirmation when i went to Best Buy on whether they sell it unlocked off contract or not since i couldnt get anyone to hel;p me and i didnt want to wait around all day. Usually i have to fight them off they come aroound so much...lol, but not today. I also had a question about the Levona Yoga Ultrabook but again, no help around.

Now i have to find out more info about an unlocked one but also if it can run 4G on T-Mobile. If not, no go for me but i am considering the 920 or the Nexus 4....which is why im not jumping in and ordering a N4 right away on top of wanting to see more reviews with the final OS on it.

ITS ME DAVID
Nov 12, 2012, 07:18 PM

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/skype-for-windows-phone/

It's a reminder too that you can download and install apps from other sources, unlike iOS.

Which can be harmful.

MuffCabbage
Nov 12, 2012, 07:28 PM

Which can be harmful.

You actually cant unless you are a dev. The link takes you to the web version of the Windows Phone Store

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
Looking around WP market and my god do the lack of apps kill the platform. The 920 is a nice piece of hardware, the UI is great, but the content is lacking so bad it's not even funny.

snow blind
Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
Looking around WP market and my god do the lack of apps kill the platform. The 920 is a nice piece of hardware, the UI is great, but the content is lacking so bad it's not even funny. Agreed. Thank god i'm not a 13 year old craving angry birds and fart apps. They have what I need in terms of music, productivity and news... i'm set. WP8 also kind of begs for a leaner approach to mobile living. In a few months i'm sure the missing apps ( Pandora i'm talking to you ) will arrive.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
Agreed. Thank god i'm not a 13 year old craving angry birds and fart apps. They have what I need in terms of music, productivity and news... i'm set. WP8 also kind of begs for a leaner approach to mobile living. In a few months i'm sure the missing apps ( Pandora i'm talking to you ) will arrive.

Citibank, united airlines, Dropbox, tunein radio are a few that I use quite a bit traveling that are missing.

Prototypical
Nov 13, 2012, 09:30 AM
Citibank, united airlines, Dropbox, tunein radio are a few that I use quite a bit traveling that are missing.

These types of apps will come in time. WP8 probably isn't for people who are hopelessly dependent on their devices, but there are plenty of people who can stand to be flexible and patient with app developers. Hopefully those are the people that buy into the WP8 ecosystem and help build up a third player in the market.

I agree with snow blind - I've looked into it, and most of my heavily used apps are available in some form or fashion already. I would miss Flipboard but I'm sure there is an alternative that will work until FB can get on board.

snow blind
Nov 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
I agree with snow blind - I've looked into it, and most of my heavily used apps are available in some form or fashion already. I would miss Flipboard but I'm sure there is an alternative that will work until FB can get on board. I'm also super bummed that the FlipBoard devs say they (according to rumor) have no plans to bring it to WP8. :( I've been using Weave as a replacement... and it's actually pretty damn good! Live tile and themed perfectly too.

b166er
Nov 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
the preview version of Skype did roll out yesterday.

But without dropbox and some others, I may be faced with a deal breaker. I love this phone, especially the screen. But when I go app for app with the iPhone there are too many crucial ones missing for me. I am so disenfranchised with the iPhone I really thought making a transition away from it would be easy.

I'm still in my trial window for another 10 days so I'm going to really try to embrace WP8 and research the ETA on some of the essential apps I need. I wish developers were more quick to adapt this OS, it's so great. But I can't blame them for not wanting to invest their time on what could be another MS flop.

Cod3rror
Nov 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
You are not "torn" you have a "thorn" it's called Windows Phone. Return it and get a real smartphone phone.

Or else... couple of more great points about Windows Phone...

Cannot select individual letters in a word for copying or cutting
No Orientation lock
No Notifications menu
No Background audio(from video, i.e. cannot start a video from YouTube and make the audio from video continue playing in the background)
Tile and app list positions aren’t remembered when returning to it, you always start from the beginning(top)
No music player equalizers
No Player seeking/scrubbing… video player skips in 20 second intervals and for the audio player, you have to press-hold-wait… good luck doing that with long songs.
No wallpaper support on the homescreen
Cannot download backup installation files(ipa, apk) so you can install them later offline, you are completely dependent on Microsoft.
No IE Sync(bookmarks, history, tabs)

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
Going to windows phone is like jumping back to 2008. Like I said, great hardware on the 920 (i was tempted by it), but when I look at the functionality of the device in my life and what I need it for, I have to unfortunately pass. It was between the 920 and the Note 2 in the store on Saturday.

Akash.B
Nov 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the Lumia has a ton of equalizers, and you can skim just fine in video.

I know it's lacking in some areas, but I'm pretty sure they will all be ironed out pretty soon. Microsoft is already working on a unified notification center

gotzero
Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 PM

All of which work in the browser...

I am loving my 920. Legit Microsoft office, a maps (and navigation) app that let me download the entire US for free and it is integrated with the OS, separate mailbox indicators, customizable, does not drop calls...

I do not play games or consume music/movies/TV on my phone, but from the productivity side, this was the platform I was waiting for.

There are some battery shenanigans, but I think the issue is the battery meter, not the battery. It seems to drop down really fast and then continue running for hours of use once it looks like it is losing its charge.

I can see how this might not be for everyone, but this was clearly the right phone for me. I am thrilled it came out and I am glad to be able to support someone actually innovating in the phone space.

EDIT: I almost forgot Internet sharing. I cannot believe that one made it on there...

Vegastouch
Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
You are not "torn" you have a "thorn" it's called Windows Phone. Return it and get a real smartphone phone.

No Orientation lock
No Notifications menu
No Background audio(from video, i.e. cannot start a video from YouTube and make the audio from video continue playing in the background)
Tile and app list positions aren’t remembered when returning to it, you always start from the beginning(top)
No Player seeking/scrubbing… video player skips in 20 second intervals and for the audio player, you have to press-hold-wait… good luck doing that with long songs.
Cannot download backup installation files(ipa, apk) so you can install them later offline, you are completely dependent on Microsoft.

Some of these are petty things.

Not sure im understanding the no background audio. Why would you need that from youtube?
Wallpaper support is on the lockscreen. If you had it on the homescreen, it would be a mess with the live tiles.

Have you ever used a windows phone before?

snow blind
Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 AM

No Orientation lock
No Notifications menu

All this guys posts lately have been anti-windows... surprise... he doesn't like the 920 :eek:

Cod3rror
Nov 14, 2012, 07:54 AM

Not sure im understanding the no background audio. Why would you need that from youtube?
Wallpaper support is on the lockscreen. If you had it on the homescreen, it would be a mess with the live tiles.

It's the petty little things that make all the difference in the end.

As for the background audio. I'll give you an example...

Imagine you're on a bus or a train, you turn on a documentary or a lecture from YouTube, it's full of those, hell, even put some music that you do not have on. Then open up Chome and browse the web, or do anything else you want.

Also, again regarding a lecture. Imagine you had to jot something down from YouTube. In Windows phone you'd have to go back and forth all the time because the video stops, in iOS you can just play the video in the background and use the Notes.app to write.

There are many scenarios for why background audio the way iOS does it is awesome!

Centralised audio controls and background audio are very convenient. Not even Android can do this.

Here's a video demo,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPXIUlAKAo

beyondthepale35
Nov 15, 2012, 11:51 PM

No Orientation lock
No Notifications menu

Yeah, youre obviously just nitpicking here. Last I checked my Lumia has:
1)a 7 band equalizer
2)video seeking is barely an issue since it skips in 7 second intervals on mine and a fast forward button exists for a reason
3)whoever doesnt listen to songs in their entirety probably listens to crappy music...just saying.
4)whats the point of a wallpaper when you have tiles that cover up the screen? you honestly cant say that the iOS grid is better looking just because you can put some crappy wallpaper on it.
5)Selecting individual letters in a word to copy? really? how about typing the letter again...that and if you hold down on a word a cursor comes up so you can select a specific part of a word.
6)Is it really that hard to scroll down from the top of you start screen? Unless you have 200 apps pinned thats not even an issue.

So that takes away most of your complaints. I mean Id rather have those supposed problems than Apple Maps. Or that antiquated GUI. Instead of spouting crap why don't you let people form their own opinions after using WP8, for me at least it does all that I need it to do in a much more intuitive way than the other operating systems. They're all great, just tired of people hating so much on stuff they barely even take the time to learn about or use for an extended period of time. For 2 years MS has really created a very promising OS, compare that to where Android and iOS were at that time. Its light years ahead. Still have no idea why people want monopolies in the phone market, no one wins in that scenario.

onthecouchagain
Nov 15, 2012, 11:59 PM
My god is the 820 fat and unwieldy. Isn't the 920 thicker, too?

beyondthepale35
Nov 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
My god is the 820 fat and unwieldy. Isn't the 920 thicker, too?

I have both at my house right now and neither of them are unwieldy. The 920 is like 6 oz, when did people all of a sudden become malnourished?

watchthisspace
Nov 16, 2012, 04:41 AM
I have both at my house right now and neither of them are unwieldy. The 920 is like 6 oz, when did people all of a sudden become malnourished?

Since the iPhone 4 :P The perception for joe consumer is thick phone = bad. I haven't been able to try out the 920 or any Windows Phone 8 device as they're not out yet in my country. Can't wait to!

aznguyen316
Nov 16, 2012, 06:28 AM

YouTube has become a huge thorn in the side for the music industry. I read an article recently many people that consume music (teen and twenties mostly) are using youtube and youtube playlists to listen to music rather than downloading/purchasing or subscribing. In this case, load up a yt playlist and play it on your phone as music while doing other tasks. I personally use grooveshark for Android, but this is another viable option to listen to music not commonly found on Rdio or Spotify. Breakbeats and video game music for example.

As for browser options for some apps, dropbox app allows for automatic upload of all pictures taken which is nice, but I'm guessing SkyDrive offers this too. Thing is for me, I have 70GB of dropbox space (thanks to a Galaxy S3 offer of 50GB + referrals).

I personally do not want to see a monopoly and would love to see WP8 get a larger share of the market. However, when it comes to choosing a phone you're going to drop $99-200 on and keep for 2 years, then that's another story of wanting to own one or not. I was very interested in getting an 8x however, a few OS pitfalls that I've read up on have scared me off. I would like a unified notification system. I know live tiles is supposed to take care of that but I don't want every single app I use pinned, there's a reason there's an app list to swipe to... It would be annoying to get a buzz while in a meeting/class and then go back to check only to not have any idea what the toast notification was about.
I also don't like how the volume control is controlled altogether. Listen to music/notifications all that are tied together. Not cool!

Cod3rror
Nov 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, youre obviously just nitpicking here. Last I checked my Lumia has:
1)a 7 band equalizer
2)video seeking is barely an issue since it skips in 7 second intervals on mine and a fast forward button exists for a reason
3)whoever doesnt listen to songs in their entirety probably listens to crappy music...just saying.
4)whats the point of a wallpaper when you have tiles that cover up the screen? you honestly cant say that the iOS grid is better looking just because you can put some crappy wallpaper on it.
5)Selecting individual letters in a word to copy? really? how about typing the letter again...that and if you hold down on a word a cursor comes up so you can select a specific part of a word.
6)Is it really that hard to scroll down from the top of you start screen? Unless you have 200 apps pinned thats not even an issue.

So that takes away most of your complaints. I mean Id rather have those supposed problems than Apple Maps. Or that antiquated GUI. Instead of spouting crap why don't you let people form their own opinions after using WP8, for me at least it does all that I need it to do in a much more intuitive way than the other operating systems. They're all great, just tired of people hating so much on stuff they barely even take the time to learn about or use for an extended period of time. For 2 years MS has really created a very promising OS, compare that to where Android and iOS were at that time. Its light years ahead. Still have no idea why people want monopolies in the phone market, no one wins in that scenario.

All your replies to my points are excuses. "Just don't do it", "You don't need it".

The fact is; other platforms have those features, Windows Phone does not.

I use background audio from YouTube or from other apps a lot, especially at night, before going to sleep, I put on a nice ambient sound, YouTube is full of those and read a book or browse the web, write notes, etc... it's a super handy feature.

And while you skip 7 second intervals in your video(imagine if it was a movie), an iOS/Android user can just grab the lever and scrub through to an exact point that in a second.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
All of which work in the browser...

I am loving my 920. Legit Microsoft office, a maps (and navigation) app that let me download the entire US for free and it is integrated with the OS, separate mailbox indicators, customizable, does not drop calls...

I do not play games or consume music/movies/TV on my phone, but from the productivity side, this was the platform I was waiting for.

There are some battery shenanigans, but I think the issue is the battery meter, not the battery. It seems to drop down really fast and then continue running for hours of use once it looks like it is losing its charge.

I can see how this might not be for everyone, but this was clearly the right phone for me. I am thrilled it came out and I am glad to be able to support someone actually innovating in the phone space.

EDIT: I almost forgot Internet sharing. I cannot believe that one made it on there...

There's a lot you can do on a browser, but if it were the "way" we wouldn't have the need for apps.

beyondthepale35
Nov 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
You can drag to any point in a video in a second...I dont know where youre getting that you cant do this. And yes, you cant plat youtube in the background but thats something thats not going to be a dealbreaker for the vast majority of people.

Cod3rror
Nov 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
You can drag to any point in a video in a second...I dont know where youre getting that you cant do this. And yes, you cant plat youtube in the background but thats something thats not going to be a dealbreaker for the vast majority of people.

No you cannot. Show me a demo.

b166er
Nov 16, 2012, 06:14 PM
No you cannot. Show me a demo.

I just attempted to do this with a youtube video.

If there is a way to do it, I'm not seeing it.

I'm sure that is something that software updates can fix, but for now it's another nail in the 920's coffin.

6 days left to go with my trial.

Akash.B
Nov 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
I just attempted to do this with a youtube video.

If there is a way to do it, I'm not seeing it.

I'm sure that is something that software updates can fix, but for now it's another nail in the 920's coffin.

6 days left to go with my trial.

I loaded up a movie on my 920 and I can scrub back and forth just fine

b166er
Nov 17, 2012, 12:15 AM
I loaded up a movie on my 920 and I can scrub back and forth just fine

From where? I can scrub a preloaded movie. I can't scrub YouTube or Netflix.

scott craft
Nov 17, 2012, 05:25 AM
In regards to youtube I use metrotube on my windows phone and I can scrub to the exact spot in the video I want. I can't do that through the browser. Probably can't do it in audio either, but haven't tried.

beyondthepale35
Nov 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah, metrotube is the way to go. You can definitely do it in there. No point in using the stock app.

lordofthereef
Nov 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
I thought I would add some insite here:

Skype: It's now available on WP8. It is also always on, but running on MS servers not to waste battery. What this means is you can get a skype call or message anytime, anywhere, and it is pushed to the phone. The only time the app is actually draining your battery is when you are physically using it. Best implementation on any device I have used.

Drop Box: While this isn't present, skydrive is essentially a direct clone. Better yet, it's a marriage between drop box and iCloud. Everything the two of those can do, so can skydrive. It's also available on iOS and Android, as well as Windows 8 (coming soon to OSX?) so it's on all platforms. Jumping from drop box to skydrive was really easy. Just had to transfer my files over. But it is, technically, a different service, so I understand the reluctance.

Banking Apps: I honestly never understood the allure of these. Every banking app I have ever used is basically a skin for the bank's mobile site. You can easily drop a pin (kind of like making a link_ to your homescreen to whatever banking you do. The only thing I can think of that this wouldn't support would be depositing checks via taking pics... those would still require the app. I do know BofA is there, and Well's is coming soon though. We are transitioning to BofA since we just moved to an area devoid of Well's and I have had to use the wells website, and really had no problems. I probably would have downloaded the app, had it existed, for the slight addition of convenience, but it is nothing TOO bothersome.

Notes: OneNote is phenomenal. I loved notes and reminders on iOS, so I couldn't imagine something better. Well, onenote takes the cake. It's hard to explain. Even watching a video of it is lackluster to me. I recommend just playing around with it. Full integration with W8 too. It's nice.

Pandora: Gone, although supposedly coming. Nokia Music is VERY good, and ad free. No ability the thumb up or down artists though. Bummer

Hulu Plus: Nonexistent. I hope its coming? Granted, I almost never use it on my mobile devices, but it would still be very nice to have.

----------

From where? I can scrub a preloaded movie. I can't scrub YouTube or Netflix.

Netflix through the Netflix app can be scrubbed, but you have to drop your finger on the small vertical bar. It LOOKS like it can;t be scrubbed into you touch it, then you realize it can.

lordofthereef
Nov 17, 2012, 03:44 PM

I am not sure why I would ever want to select individual letters, but if this matters to anyone, your info is correct
No Orientation lock
This is also correct, though I haven't found it to be a problem, at all, at least with the 920. My iPhones would often go into landscape from me laying them down. Not the case with the 920. Still, a valid point
No Notifications menu
There is actually an app in the works for this. And I agree, it's a problem. I think the idea is setting up your live tiles properly. If you do that, you shouldn't NEED notifications, but they would be nice to have.
I am pretty sure this can't be done with iOS either with YouTube. At least I haven't had success with it on my 4S. But anyway, metrotube allows it.
This is inaccurate, at least on WP8 L920. I JUST tested it. Scrolled to the bottom, locked, unlocked, it was still at the very bottom. Just checked again after I typed this. Still at the bottom.
L920 has them... and so does the HTC 8x, though I don't THINK it is a WP8 standard thing. Anyway, it works well on the 920. Has some decent presets too.
This is slightly annoying, but holding down your finger, even on a long song isn't as bad as you make it sound. But I agree. It needs scrubbing baked into the OS.
This is a love/hate sort of thing. There is no room to see a wallpaper, the way that WP is designed. If you don't like that, you don't like that. My point is throwing a wallpaper up there wouldn't do a whole lot because it would be completely covered.
Correct, although I am not sure how much of a problem this is for the average user. Valid point though. The option would be nice.
This is probably what I miss the most. Not going to justify this in any way LOL. Even basic users I know use this feature on other OS's.

Responses in bold, plus I would like to add a few.

No "Do Not Disturb" function. I know iOS just got this, and it was long overdue. I still get alerts at night. What's worse is I cannot put my phone on JUST silent. It's either vie or ring+vibe.

No custom text sounds to contacts. Also cannot add your own text sounds. You get a list of maybe ten, and that's all you get to work with. Huge bummer for those who text a lot.

Multitasker is lacking. There is no real intuitive way to kill an app. You basically just have to "bak out" of it. It also seems limited to maybe 7-8 apps before it starts killing the oldest app. When you are hopping from music, to browsing, to notes, etc. this fills up pretty fast. Conversely, IOS keeps going until the end of time. I wish there was a happy medium, or perhaps a user definable medium. That would be neat.

That's all for now. :cool:

Vegastouch
Nov 17, 2012, 04:39 PM
I thought I would add some insite here:

Skype: It's now available on WP8. It is also always on, but running on MS servers not to waste battery. What this means is you can get a skype call or message anytime, anywhere, and it is pushed to the phone. The only time the app is actually draining your battery is when you are physically using it. Best implementation on any device I have used.

Drop Box: While this isn't present, skydrive is essentially a direct clone. Better yet, it's a marriage between drop box and iCloud. Everything the two of those can do, so can skydrive. It's also available on iOS and Android, as well as Windows 8 (coming soon to OSX?) so it's on all platforms. Jumping from drop box to skydrive was really easy. Just had to transfer my files over. But it is, technically, a different service, so I understand the reluctance.

Banking Apps: I honestly never understood the allure of these. Every banking app I have ever used is basically a skin for the bank's mobile site. You can easily drop a pin (kind of like making a link_ to your homescreen to whatever banking you do. The only thing I can think of that this wouldn't support would be depositing checks via taking pics... those would still require the app. I do know BofA is there, and Well's is coming soon though. We are transitioning to BofA since we just moved to an area devoid of Well's and I have had to use the wells website, and really had no problems. I probably would have downloaded the app, had it existed, for the slight addition of convenience, but it is nothing TOO bothersome.

Notes: OneNote is phenomenal. I loved notes and reminders on iOS, so I couldn't imagine something better. Well, onenote takes the cake. It's hard to explain. Even watching a video of it is lackluster to me. I recommend just playing around with it. Full integration with W8 too. It's nice.

Pandora: Gone, although supposedly coming. Nokia Music is VERY good, and ad free. No ability the thumb up or down artists though. Bummer

Hulu Plus: Nonexistent. I hope its coming? Granted, I almost never use it on my mobile devices, but it would still be very nice to have.

----------

Netflix through the Netflix app can be scrubbed, but you have to drop your finger on the small vertical bar. It LOOKS like it can;t be scrubbed into you touch it, then you realize it can.

That is actually great to hear about Skype. Wish i could leave mine on all the time on my GS3.,.though ive never tried it. My Wife has a Windows phone, though it isnt a WP8. She has Skype on it but doesnt leave it on all the time. Wonder if she could and not lose battery life. She has a HTC phone and the battery sux bad enough already.?

Skydrive sounds great . I just dont have a Microsoft account yet. Ill try it at some point...probably if Dropbox wants me to pay after my two years is up.

I really like the new Windows phones.

lordofthereef
Nov 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
That is actually great to hear about Skype. Wish i could leave mine on all the time on my GS3.,.though ive never tried it. My Wife has a Windows phone, though it isnt a WP8. She has Skype on it but doesnt leave it on all the time. Wonder if she could and not lose battery life. She has a HTC phone and the battery sux bad enough already.?

The app isn't strictly in the background. It is on Windows servers. I am not sure how this is handled on WP7.x, but I do know the apps are different than in WP8. Hope that makes sense. :)

----------

Skydrive sounds great . I just dont have a Microsoft account yet. Ill try it at some point...probably if Dropbox wants me to pay after my two years is up.

It really is very good. And to be available on all three major smartphone OS is awesome. I believe it is unavailable, as an app, on OSX currently, though you can still access things by logging in online. Being that it is available on iOS, I am sure it is coming to OSX.

Vegastouch
Nov 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
The app isn't strictly in the background. It is on Windows servers. I am not sure how this is handled on WP7.x, but I do know the apps are different than in WP8. Hope that makes sense. :)

----------

It really is very good. And to be available on all three major smartphone OS is awesome. I believe it is unavailable, as an app, on OSX currently, though you can still access things by logging in online. Being that it is available on iOS, I am sure it is coming to OSX.

No it is. I downloaded it to my GS3 from the Play Store but i dont have a Microsoft account so i didnt keep it. Dont need it right now so ill do it again later if i do need it.

lordofthereef
Nov 18, 2012, 04:57 PM
No it is. I downloaded it to my GS3 from the Play Store but i dont have a Microsoft account so i didnt keep it. Dont need it right now so ill do it again later if i do need it.

You missed the part where I was saying app on OSX. :)

b166er
Nov 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
Well I returned the 920 today. I have to work late tomorrow, Thursday is a holiday, and Friday is not a day I want to be anywhere near a retail store, so I brought it back a few days before my trial.

Things I will miss:

-The hardware. All of it, it's beautiful.
-Screen size/quality
-camera and "lenses"
-the way Skype runs (yes initially I complained there was no skype, but now there is and the way they integrate it is awesome)
-The basic UI- I really like live tiles a lot
-having MS Office in my pocket.

Things I will be keeping my eye out for in future updates that might make me switch back again:

-Better notifications
-blackboard app for school
-an app (official or not) that will let you google video chat
-overall more stability/cleaning out of the bugs
-better/more intuitive multitasking
-A larger presence in general from Google to acces the Google ecosystem. Right now it's virtually nonexistent on WP8.

Thanks to everyone for their input while I test drove a 920. Sadly it wasn't meant to be for me just yet, but I will keep my eye on the platform. With some simple improvements it could become exactly what I am looking for.

weespeed
Nov 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
Well I returned the 920 today. I have to work late tomorrow, Thursday is a holiday, and Friday is not a day I want to be anywhere near a retail store, so I brought it back a few days before my trial.

Things I will miss:

-Screen size/quality
-camera and "lenses"
-the way Skype runs (yes initially I complained there was no skype, but now there is and the way they integrate it is awesome)

Things I will be keeping my eye out for in future updates that might make me switch back again:

-Better notifications
-A larger presence in general from Google to acces the Google ecosystem. Right now it's virtually nonexistent on WP8.

Thanks to everyone for their input while I test drove a 920. Sadly it wasn't meant to be for me just yet, but I will keep my eye on the platform. With some simple improvements it could become exactly what I am looking for.

I am in the same boat. I had all iPhones, tried the iPhone5 out for 30 days, returned it. Still have my iPhone4 and my Galaxy Nexus.
I like both platforms, but hate the tiny iPhone screen. It was between the Note 2 or 920, but for 99.99 and free charging plate, I went and got the Lumia 920.

It really is a pretty phone, a little bit on the chunky and heavy side, but manageable.
The screen is very nice. Better than the iPhone and the nexus. The size is also great.

But, like you said, the notifications is so.. not there. I'm so used to Android notifications and WP8 needs some work.
I'm not an app guy. Use several, maybe 5 max. But the five I do use I use alot. And WP8 lacks there. Even alternatives to apps are very light on functionality. Even major apps like PayPal are not the same. I had to send some money and after trying several times on my 920 I gave up and grabbed my Nexus to send money.

Still torn if I should return it or not and get the Note 2. But earlier I got 50 credit on the Lumia from ATT, bringing the cost down to 49.99 and with a free charging plate, makes it so much harder to make my decision.

One thing is for sure, I will not go back to the iPhone until they get a bigger screen. 4" tall and skinny is just lame to me.

Cod3rror
Nov 21, 2012, 09:08 AM
Responses in bold, plus I would like to add a few.

No "Do Not Disturb" function. I know iOS just got this, and it was long overdue. I still get alerts at night. What's worse is I cannot put my phone on JUST silent. It's either vie or ring+vibe.

No custom text sounds to contacts. Also cannot add your own text sounds. You get a list of maybe ten, and that's all you get to work with. Huge bummer for those who text a lot.

Multitasker is lacking. There is no real intuitive way to kill an app. You basically just have to "bak out" of it. It also seems limited to maybe 7-8 apps before it starts killing the oldest app. When you are hopping from music, to browsing, to notes, etc. this fills up pretty fast. Conversely, IOS keeps going until the end of time. I wish there was a happy medium, or perhaps a user definable medium. That would be neat.

That's all for now. :cool:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply and for being civil about it.

Regarding the start screen position being remembered, have you tried this: Go into an app and then tap on the start button on the phone.

I've tried it and it resets to the top each time.

lordofthereef
Nov 21, 2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive reply and for being civil about it.

Regarding the start screen position being remembered, have you tried this: Go into an app and then tap on the start button on the phone.

I've tried it and it resets to the top each time.

Yes, it does do that. I thought you were referring to the start screen when locking the phone. Hitting the back button, while in the app, will take you back to where you last were on the screen as well. Unfortunately this kills the app too.

I am hoping MS addresses multitasking here in the near future. It really isn't very good at all, compared to the alternatives. I feel like multitasking was better handles on iOS when it was a third party addition back in 3.0 (or whenever that was).

----------

Things I will miss:

-Screen size/quality
-camera and "lenses"

-Better notifications

Sorry to see you go. The list you created, minus maybe google video chat, are all things I am waiting for as well. MS is doing a big push with their windows 8 and WP 8 SDK being (virtually) identical. I have high hopes for the platform (far more than I ever had when it was just WP7).

The platform is going through the same growing pains that iOS and Android went through, allbeit at a slightly faster rate (due to necessity to stay relevant in this already dominated market). Not being an apologist, but I am a realist. Unless MS decides to drop this thing all together, which at this point seems unlikely, we are going to see some awesome things coming around the bend.

KentuckyHouse
Nov 21, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the information. I've been eying the 920 for a few days now and this thread has been a great source of real-world information.

I'm still using my trusty S3 and just returned the Note 2 after giving it a test run. For me, it was just too big. And frankly, it's basically my S3 on steroids. It's an amazing phone if you haven't used the S3, but if you've got one, I wouldn't worry about getting a Note 2.

That leads me to the 920. The Windows phone UI really intrigues me and I've nearly purchased the 900 on a few occasions, but after the MS cut off the 900 from being updated to WP8, I decided to wait. It sounds like it might be a good idea to wait a bit longer and let the platform mature.

This thread has been a big help. Thanks again!