Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
I've had iPhones for several years and currently have the 4S. My wife just a Galaxy S III, and I have to tell you, it's pretty darn slick.
I really like the taller/wider screen. I don't know the Android system, but it's so easy on the eyes it makes you think.

Wonder if the iPhone 6 will incorporate a similar screen to compete? I think we should all write Mr Apple and ask for a bigger screen next time. The extra height on the 5 just doesn't cut it.

I love my iPhone & iPad, but this thing has me thinking.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
It took Apple 5 years to move from a 3.5" screen to 4". I don't think they are going to be making a bigger screen anytime soon.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I think we all have certain features that attract us when it comes to phones. To me, the Samsung reminds me of the first Blackberry I ever had, which was so big that using it as a phone made me feel silly, like I was holding a Frisbee up to my face (it was a 7250, bought in 2005-6).

I like the slimness of the iPhone, and when I want a bigger screen I use my iPad. I have an Android Bionic that I have to carry for work, and I much prefer using the iPhone. Besides, it plays so nicely with my Mac and iPad.

So if you like the Samsung better, go for it. You're the one you have to make happy. Seems like most objective reviews note advantages with each, so it is really a matter of what's important to you and your personal preference.

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
i don't understand why some of us wants a big screen for their phone. it's a phone and not a tablet and besides the current size of the iphone is already enough to see the icons and letters.

drkryn

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
i don't understand why some of us wants a big screen for their phone. it's a phone and not a tablet and besides the current size of the iphone is already enough to see the icons and letters.

People are so foolish for having their own preferences and opinions. The nerve of some people to prefer a bigger screen on their phones. :rolleyes:

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I've had iPhones for several years and currently have the 4S. My wife just a Galaxy S III, and I have to tell you, it's pretty darn slick.
I really like the taller/wider screen. I don't know the Android system, but it's so easy on the eyes it makes you think.

Wonder if the iPhone 6 will incorporate a similar screen to compete? I think we should all write Mr Apple and ask for a bigger screen next time. The extra height on the 5 just doesn't cut it.

Android is easy on the eyes? Hmmm....I guess everyone's different

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
If apple goes with a bigger screen and widgets and all that good stuff I'm sure it will be better than any android based phone. Just like with maps!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple values it's role as the company that does what it wants, then convinces it's customers that Apple knows what's best for them.

It's an amazing phenomenon. They're so good at programming their followers, you can read thousands of posts on this very forum where the users regurgitate this same company line. They're so proud of it. I've never seen this with any company but Apple.

Yet I have noticed it's dying down a bit since the death of Apple's well worshiped ex CEO. He could walk on water in millions of people's eyes. Another phenomenon so strong only his death could cause a change.

Now going forward Tim Cook, or anyone in his position is especially vulnerable. There was only one Apple God... Steve Jobs.

It's a tough position to hold these days. Nothing lasts forever, the moment Apple hiccups as we're beginning to see, it's gonna get ugly.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
If the OP switches, I can bet he'll be right back soon enough.

I'm not switching anytime soon - locked in my contract. btw, I've had my 4S right at a year. Seems like I had my 4 about a yr was able to get the 4S for $200, but my account shows I'm not elig for the 5 at $200 till June 2013. If I have to wait that long might as well for the 6.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Yes i came from a gs3 and the screen is pretty nice, the colors really from the amoled is what makes it really nice. It makes colors pop and that always attracts people. Android os as a whole isnt really hard to use, but it takes a while to really learn it. But the reason why I love iPhone and iOs is because i just love the interface, like the grey and message layout. The menus, the fluidity and everything i think its much nicer then Android. The keyboard on the iPhone and iOS is still unmatched in my book both in terms of looks and performance.

Copy and paste works so much better on iOS and the magnifying glass works so good on iOS. Idk i may sound like a crazy fanboy right now but this is what iOS always had the lead in, functionality and performance

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
yes i love the screen of s3. bigger, better for web browsing and watching movies.

but apps in the android ecosystem are lame. so im sticking with my beautiful iphone 5.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Saw this incredibly blunt post in another similar thread, and I think it applies here.

Dude, What are you doing on here then? I don't have a problem with you switching and even liking the fact that you switched. But, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I personally have used the S3 and was not impressed. That's not my point.
I just don't understand why anyone would go out and buy any other phone and then come back here to tell everyone, like you've discovered gold. Are you waiting for us all to cheer you on? Are you waiting for all of us to throw our five's in the trash and get the S3? Or are you looking for an argument?
I think my 5 has great colors, and wonders of wonders I have never noticed the untrueness of true black on it. If that is what is truly important to you I hope you enjoy your phone.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
what is this "samsung" "galaxy" "s" "3" you speak of?

I've never heard of it, and i doubt anyone here has either.

Does it make toast? I love toast in the morning, with a little grape jelly! MMMmmmmmmmmmm!

ryan.apham

macrumors member
May 6, 2011

Oh, my.

The upgrade from 3.5 to 4' has already driven the app developers insane by spending extra effort to make the apps compatible with the new screen dimension. With next year's screen enlargement... Man, I guess they will all turn alcoholic and quit their job.

A bigger iPhone means its harder to manipulate using one hand (remember, you are scrolling around the Map using just one finger, right?), so it's less convenient, and it's larger, so bad luck to those tight jean lovers.

And then, you have this iPad Mini. And a 4.5/5 inch iPhone. What :confused:?

Who knows, next year, we might be able to contemplate iPad Super Mini 5 inch and iPhone Ultra Big 5S 7.9 inch.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
The Samsungs GS3 has a very unresponsive touch in comparison with all the iPhones . It's like a 2 second delay.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

I doesn't make sense comparing the 4S to the S3, now. Try out the iPhone 5 and see for yourself. It has the best color reproduction of *any* phone.

Sesshy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
yes i love the screen of s3. bigger, better for web browsing and watching movies.

but apps in the android ecosystem are lame. so im sticking with my beautiful iphone 5.

This. I was on Android for more than a year and loved it, it's a great platform, but the most obvious caveat is the app ecosystem. It's a chore to find the one decent app for whatever application, while on iOS there're usually at least three or four different apps that all do the same thing well. I spent one week with a 4S, and after a few hours of using it was sold on the quality of the apps alone.

----------

Saw this incredibly blunt post in another similar thread, and I think it applies here.

This doesn't apply here at all. This is a forum. It exists for the sake of discussion, not for the sake of fanboy circle-jerks to the exclusion of anybody who wants to start a discussion about anything else.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yes i came from a gs3 and the screen is pretty nice, the colors really from the amoled is what makes it really nice. It makes colors pop and that always attracts people. Android os as a whole isnt really hard to use, but it takes a while to really learn it. But the reason why I love iPhone and iOs is because i just love the interface, like the grey and message layout. The menus, the fluidity and everything i think its much nicer then Android. The keyboard on the iPhone and iOS is still unmatched in my book both in terms of looks and performance.

Copy and paste works so much better on iOS and the magnifying glass works so good on iOS. Idk i may sound like a crazy fanboy right now but this is what iOS always had the lead in, functionality and performance

The AMOLED screen on the GS3 is horribly unbalanced, oversaturated, and inaccurate. :s?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.