Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocoloco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
hey,
so i'm staying in a student dormitory with my roommate. we have set up our wifi network. i have mba 2011, he has a dell laptop and his internet works faster.

For example, when we watch series online I always struggle with slow loading time and only few times a day can watch an episode without any lags, or waiting 1h for episode to load. On his computer loading time is superb.

what could it be? at home i dont' have this kind of problems and router is located much further

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
hey,
so i'm staying in a student dormitory with my roommate. we have set up our wifi network. i have mba 2011, he has a dell laptop and his internet works faster.

For example, when we watch series online I always struggle with slow loading time and only few times a day can watch an episode without any lags, or waiting 1h for episode to load. On his computer loading time is superb.

what could it be? at home i dont' have this kind of problems and router is located much further

This is a router/traffic shaping issue, not a problem with your laptop. It could be the consequence of a variety of reasons, but a common example: a lot of routers give the first machine priority bandwidth/speed wise, and everyone else is left with what's left. See if you can tinker with your router's firmware/settings.

rocoloco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
uhm he did set up a network using his laptop, so this is why he has the priority?

donald.t

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Delete the saved network item in the network preference and re-establish the connection. Look .what happens.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.