Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbolt display with a Mac mini or Classic MacBook Pro

• 2012 2.3 GHz Mac mini/Fusion Drive/Crucial 16GB RAM

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Oct 2011 2.4 GHz MBP MD322LLA/OWC Data Doubler/Samsung 256GB SSD/Crucial 16GB RAM

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I need a second computer so I just picked up a new Thunderbolt Display and I can't decide between a Mac Mini or a 15" MacBook Pro to go with it. I will be using it as a desktop 99% of the time as I already have a loaded 15" RMBP, iPads, etc...

If I went for the Mac Mini it would definitely be a new 2012 with the 2.3 Quad Core and Fusion Drive. I would then add 16GB of Crucial RAM myself.

If I went for the 15" MacBook Pro, it would definitely be the classic version and either the latest or October 2011 release. More than likely it would be a used or refurbished October 2011 unless someone can justify the price difference. I would use the OWC Data Doubler to add a SSD. I would also add 16GB of Crucial RAM myself. I can get a great deal on a used October 2011 MD322LL/A with 2.4 GHz Quad Cord Sandy Bridge Processor and 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6770M.

I can get the two options for almost the same price, maybe a $200 difference.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Team Timm

macrumors regular
May 17, 2012
FL
Well if you already have a loaded rMBP and an iPad, might as well just get a desktop computer. If you need to work on the mini but you want to hook up rMBP to TBD, you can just screen share to do what you need to do. No point in getting another laptop, plus the mini takes up less space. My 2 cents.

AstroKeith

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
I just purchased a quad core mini & Thunderbolt and after just two days I am delighted. I am migrating my life off Windows/PCs and bought this combo as I was frustrated by waiting for the new iMac. I have an MBA and so this was a more obvious choice for me, my only decision was which processor and how much RAM. I upgraded to16G my self (Crucial). The mini is almost silent, looks smart and from my perspective is really fast. I went for the full wired keyboard (I do a lot with numbers & spreadsheets) and a magic trackpad which makes transitioning between the MBA and desktop easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.