Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Ok, somehow my powerbook got attacked by water, see unknown liquid on my PB thread. Well I've come to the conclusion that my Logic board is probably fried. What kind of money am I looking at spending here?

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
xFU3Lx said:
Ok, somehow my powerbook got attacked by water, see unknown liquid on my PB thread. Well I've come to the conclusion that my Logic board is probably fried. What kind of money am I looking at spending here?

Got insurance ?? :D

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
A lot! I've no idea, but I can tell you an iBook 12" logic board is about AUD$800 - parts only. (for reference a 12" iBook sells for AUD$1599).

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
if you want to do it yourself look at pbfixit.com that has the price of some of the logic boards, unknown which ones that they do and don't have.

But it will run you up well well well over 1000 dollars if you have someone else do it

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I recommend looking on ebay for a logic board that you need and then going by instructions through pbfixit.com

thou it is overly extremely difficult to do it

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
eva01 said:
I recommend looking on ebay for a logic board that you need and then going by instructions through pbfixit.com

thou it is overly extremely difficult to do it
I hope I don't have to do that. I'm taking it to the Apple store later. We'll see how that goes.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Why are you going to be doing something illegal and lie to them about how it broke? Anyways if there is water on the logic board it would have corroded something off and they will find out when they go to repair it, then they will call you and tell you it is going to cost money. A lot of money

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I've had 2 logic boards on my PB 17" 1.33 go bad from overheating - AppleCare saved my a$$ both times - it would have been roughly $1,000 a pop. Don't lie to Apple about your own mistake - not worth it. I'd take eva01's advice and try installing it yourself. It's very touchy though and requires a steady hand.

rolingui

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
Sorry about my bad english.I'm from Spain,I need a logic replacement too,and a found this web:dttservice.com
Please check it and tell me what you think.
Thank's :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.