PDA

View Full Version : Apple Online Selling iPhone-Enabled Fender Strat Guitar

MacRumors
Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/12/apple-online-selling-iphone-enabled-fender-strat-guitar/)

Apple has begun selling the iOS-enabled Fender Squier Strat (http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA153LL/A/squier-by-fender-usb-stratocaster-guitar) guitar on its Online Store, adding to its collection of app-enabled accessories (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/apple-begins-selling-the-nike-fuelband-in-stores-and-online/).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/usbguitar.jpg
The $199.95 guitar has USB and iOS connectivity built-in, designed to allow recording directly into GarageBand (http://www.apple.com/apps/garageband/) on the Mac, iPhone and iPad. The USB output on the guitar is a USB Mini-B and a USB-mini to 30-pin adapter is included in the box, meaning users with a Lightning port on their iOS devices will need a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter).

1EtnS98l8q4The Squier by Fender Stratocaster guitar offers bi-directional audio streaming and includes a high-quality headphone amp so that you can monitor the processed guitar signal right from the guitar itself. Thanks to the guitar's own audio interface, you can record audio straight to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac--no additional hardware needed. And the analog output means you're also free to use this as a standard guitar.Via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/12/fender-launches-new-199-squier-usb-stratocaster-for-ios-devices-exclusively-at-the-apple-store/)

Article Link: Apple Online Selling iPhone-Enabled Fender Strat Guitar (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/12/apple-online-selling-iphone-enabled-fender-strat-guitar/)

Biscuit411
Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
No Lightning adapter included? Nice...

iParis
Nov 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
No Lightning adapter included? Nice...

Yeah, because they're totally authorized to sell/include those.:rolleyes:

Robert.Walter
Nov 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Why is the guitar not rechargeable and piping signal out via a Bluetooth or wifi link?

Is there some technical reason that one in this day and age still has to schlepp around and be tethered to cables?

iParis
Nov 12, 2012, 12:05 PM
Why is the guitar not rechargeable and piping signal out via a Bluetooth or wifi link?

Is there some technical reason that one in this day and age still has to schlepp around and be tethered to cables?

In this case it seems cables make more sense than wifi, but I think I'd prefer bluetooth over cables.

DogHouseDub
Nov 12, 2012, 12:06 PM

Price point I'd guess - $199 is pretty tight

ps - love the 20th Congress...

ouimetnick
Nov 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
buy a real strat

damir00
Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Isn't this just the Rocksmith guitar?

glowdragon
Nov 12, 2012, 12:26 PM

Because even the smallest bit of lag is unacceptable for a guitarist. Instant feedback is pretty much required when you're playing an instrument, especially if you're LEARNING to play that instrument.

Bluetooth would be bad enough. WiFi? Hah!

Smallworld69
Nov 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Because even the smallest bit of lag is unacceptable for a guitarist. Instant feedback is pretty much required when you're playing an instrument, especially if you're LEARNING to play that instrument.

Bluetooth would be bad enough. WiFi? Hah!

Um, Bluetooth, as well as wifi would offer lag in the low hundred MILISECOND range... Not enough time that the human ear would make much of distinction that there is lag. It is definitely a price/technology issue, NOT a lag issue...

weckart
Nov 12, 2012, 12:34 PM

Not really. This is just a Fender Squier with a digital output built in. The Rocksmith is a digital converter device for any guitar.

zerolight
Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
In this case it seems cables make more sense than wifi, but I think I'd prefer bluetooth over cables.

Ignoring for a moment the really crappy guitar in question, it's all about performance. Most of the cheap USB interfaces on the market are too slow to use without introducing latency, wifi or Bluetooth would result in both increased latency and decreased audio fidelity. Cable is a must.

glowdragon
Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Um, Bluetooth, as well as wifi would offer lag in the low hundred MILISECOND range... Not enough time that the human ear would make much of distinction that there is lag. It is definitely a price/technology issue, NOT a lag issue...

Citation needed.

bobobenobi
Nov 12, 2012, 12:38 PM

You are obviously not a musician or involved in audio engineering in any way. Any latency above ten or twenty milliseconds is *quite* noticeable.

A hundred milliseconds of latency would make an instrument completely unusable.

zerolight
Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 PM

Really? You'll not find single audio interface, even costing thousands, offering connectivity over Bluetooth or wifi.

You'll also find that almost all the dock connector ipad interfaces which are going over a line in connection introduce unacceptable latency. It's very disconcerting to hit the string and hear the note fractionally afterwards. I use the apogee jam which is pretty decent.

John.B
Nov 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
For the record, the article title is wrong. They are selling a Squier Strat, not a Fender Strat. This will be a guitar built by a third party guitar manufacturer (in China, natch) to Squier specs. There is nothing "Fender" about this guitar except Squier's use of the parent company's trademark body shape, headstock shape, pickguard design, etc.

It does add to the cost, and there are lot of other technical considerations. Latency can be a killer. IMO, Bluetooth would be way too slow. Also, the 2.4 GHz WiFi spectrum is too crowded already for many home users. Building the USB interface into the guitar is a reasonable step IMO for a guitar at this price point.

The "Rocksmith guitar" is an Epiphone Les Paul Junior (one-pup P-90) with the Rocksmith 1/4"-to-USB cable. You can buy pretty much the same Junior at any Guitar Center across the country. You can also buy just the Rocksmith game with the 1/4"-to-USB cable and play pretty much any electric guitar.

BTW, Rocksmith is a great way to develop guitar skills in the guise of a console music game. I'd bet this Squier guitar will work fine with Rocksmith on a PS3 or Xbox, the same way the Rocksmith cable works will really any electric guitar into Garageband for the Mac. Typically, PC users will probably have to futz with finding the right drivers.

Regardless, anything that encourages the next generation of guitarists is OK in my book.

Orange Furball
Nov 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Make a bass and I'll buy.

Smallworld69
Nov 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Apologies, was thinking about latency of an orchestra, not single instruments...

bradl
Nov 12, 2012, 12:49 PM

Umm.. wireless packs for guitars and basses have been around since the early 80s. This is absolutely nothing new. If you went to a live show between 1983 and now at a big venue, you'd have seen them all over the place. I even have one that goes wirelessly to the base unit that is plugged directly into my amp. Only los of signal comes from distance, but if you have them on the same channel, you're all set.

buy a real strat

This. This is not a Fender Stratocaster, in true name. This is their low-end models, from Squier. If this were a true Fender Strat, even the Mexican or Japanese ones, you'd be looking at a decent tag between $500 and $800, give or take $100. If this were an American Standard Strat, you'd be looking at over $1000 easily.

No. This is a real guitar, but then again, still low end. If they were to add this to the main Fender line, or if Jackson, Ibanez, or ESP did this, I'd be all over it, but expect a price jump.

Props to Squier for trying, but if this takes off, expect the other companies to follow suit.

BL.

palmerc2
Nov 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't pay for that, I'd rather use my Schecter and get one of those apps / devices so I can plug directly into it.

Orange Furball
Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't pay for that, I'd rather use my Schecter and get one of those apps / devices so I can plug directly into it.

But for someone just beginning to play? That's what they're going for.

I paid $200 for my first bass. Had it been any more I wouldn't have gotten into it. The $200 price point is perfect for beginners.

george-brooks
Nov 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
I have a pretty nice collection of guitars, amps, mics and recording equipment, and don't do a whole lot of songwriting so this isn't for me, but the price is fantastic and its a cool concept if you're a musician who's one the go or enjoys writing/practicing outside of the home. At only twice the price of the Apogee guitar interface for the interface AND the guitar, this looks like the best option for anyone who records often with the iOS device or any beginner who has an iPad.

If you're looking to purchase your first guitar in this day and age, why pay $199 or $299 for a squier starter kit with a crappy amp and a bunch of cheap accessories you don't really need when you can get the same guitar that works perfectly out of the box with the insane collection of killer amp models you already have?

akm3
Nov 12, 2012, 01:07 PM

"low hundred" milliseconds is too much when you are talking about music.

damir00
Nov 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'd bet this Squier guitar will work fine with Rocksmith on a PS3 or Xbox, the same way the Rocksmith cable works will really any electric guitar into Garageband for the Mac.

Gotcha, thanks!

So the Rocksmith doodad should also work with basses, right?

John.B
Nov 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

So the Rocksmith doodad should also work with basses, right?

Yes. The caveat is that the original Rocksmith game was for guitar only -- they just recently added bass functionality as a $29 DLC -- or you can get the updated version "Rocksmith for Guitar and Bass" (just recently released) which includes the bass guitar functionality.

Also, a bunch of great "catch up" song packs, over-and-above what comes in the box, available as DLC.

nemesiswar
Nov 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com
Best. Guitars. Ever.

ukmacpro
Nov 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
Umm.. wireless packs for guitars and basses have been around since the early 80s. This is absolutely nothing new

Yes, however these don't run on either Bluetooth or Wifi... They are radio transmitters and receivers, analogue in the 80s... Ones with analog to digital converters in the transmitter and the other way round in the receiver are used today, which are fast enough not to introduce much latency. But it is still not a data connection which would be too slow.

SgtPepper12
Nov 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
lol no way.
Why buy a guitar with a built in A/D anyway? It's like "Here take this crap guitar with this crap A/D, in case you want to have something better than crap one day, you need to buy a new one of both"
The concept is just incredibly stupid.

extricated
Nov 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Nice potential for inspiring beginners to explore music/guitar. A "gateway drug", if you will.

I welcome new technology in the music industry, but I don't think this is ready for the studio.

Henri Gaudier
Nov 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
Best. Guitars. Ever.

Er .. I think you meant ...

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/

:p

polaris20
Nov 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
This is just a gimmick. Anyone can add the exact same functionality to any electric guitar with an Apogee JAM, which is $99 and the size of a pack of gum, and a short 1/4" cable. The guitar itself is crap.

darkslide29
Nov 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
This is just a gimmick. Anyone can add the exact same functionality to any electric guitar with an Apogee JAM, which is $99 and the size of a pack of gum, and a short 1/4" cable. The guitar itself is crap.

Helpful to know. Nice to find this post in the sea of arguments and trolling. Thanks.

iRCL
Nov 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
For the record, the article title is wrong. They are selling a Squier Strat, not a Fender Strat. This will be a guitar built by a third party guitar manufacturer (in China, natch) to Squier specs. There is nothing "Fender" about this guitar except Squier's use of the parent company's trademark body shape, headstock shape, pickguard design, etc.

Yeah seriously. Nothing built in China to a parent company's design could possibly be good...

kingtj
Nov 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
I came *so* close to buying that Rocksmith game for my PS3 yesterday afternoon. I used to play rhythm guitar in a band my buddies put together back in the early 90's, and have always hung onto at least one guitar since then. Truthfully, I'm *way* out of practice and just sold my half-stack a few months ago when I relocated for a new job. (Just didn't make sense having something so big and loud when I was going to be living in a townhouse apartment right next to other families.)

I think I'm too involved with other things now to consider seriously playing in a band again, and I'm not even that motivated to learn new songs anymore. But if I had a game to hook the guitar up to, I'd probably get some more use and enjoyment out of it.

What stopped me is this: The guy at GameStop warned me "there have been a lot of issues with the cable" that comes with it --- so much so that they refuse to carry used copies of Rocksmith.

Anyone know how serious an issue this really is?

As for the whole latency thing? Yeah, that's a problem if you're just trying to learn to play guitar or want your guitar to play like you expect a guitar to play. BUT, if you've ever used the Guitar MIDI controllers like Roland sells, those processors always introduced a lot of lag too. On the original rack mount one I used to own, you had to install a GK-1 or GK-2 series pickup on your guitar next to one of the regular ones, and then a cable ran to the rack mount processor. When you played a note or chord, the MIDI version would send out of the unit after a significant delay. You had to learn to play the guitar a whole new way to make it work for you. But since you were just using it to trigger sounds or synthesizer notes, that wasn't necessarily a problem. It just made it a whole different instrument, essentially.

2 Replies
Nov 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
The USB output on the guitar is a USB Mini-B and a USB-mini to 30-pin adapter is included in the box, meaning users with a Lightning port on their iOS devices will need a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter).

Nice Apple.
Just keep selling overpriced accessories for your intentionally obsoleted products, and wonder why your stock continues to dive.
The rest of us could use a good laugh. X'-D

John.B
Nov 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah seriously. Nothing built in China to a parent company's design could possibly be good...

Where did I say these weren't good?

Truth be told the Squier Classic (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-stratocaster-50s-electric-guitar) Vibe (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-stratocaster-60s-electric-guitar) Strats (and Teles, for those so inclined) are considered by many to be a great value for the money. Me included.

My point was that these aren't Fenders, and -- unlike even the MIM Strats -- these aren't built by Fender, they aren't QC'ed by Fender, Fender never even sees these guitars between the time when they are built and when they are shipped to Guitar Center (or Apple).

That said, every guitar is made of wood and involves some level of hand assembly. That means variability from one guitar to the next. Someone buying one would do well to play many guitars (or have a guitar-playing friend help) to pick out the best one, and not just buy any old guitar sold in a box.

SeattleMoose
Nov 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
For a kid's first guitar this wouldn't be bad to get them going with music. For all others, it would be better to save in order to get "first time quality" Else, you will eventually realize you wasted part of a down payment on a real rig by buying a "toy".

aquaboy
Nov 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Typical, the Yanks get all the best hardware in the online store first! Nest, Philips hue, now this guitar... Wish the uk store was as good.

Macist
Nov 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
Will they have to pay $21million to The Knack?

MacDav
Nov 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
For a kid's first guitar this wouldn't be bad to get them going with music. For all others, it would be better to save in order to get "first time quality" Else, you will eventually realize you wasted part of a down payment on a real rig by buying a "toy".

Yes, this is such a waste of money. If anyone is thinking of buying this guitar...Don't. It is just a toy. If you have any serious musical interests save up your money and buy a real guitar. ;)

----------

Typical, the Yanks get all the best hardware in the online store first! Nest, Philips hue, now this guitar... Wish the uk store was as good.

Consider yourself lucky. This guitar is a piece of junk. Save up your money and buy a real guitar.

Macist
Nov 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Yes, this is such a waste of money. If anyone is thinking of buying this guitar...Don't. It is just a toy. If you have any serious musical interests save up your money and buy a real guitar. ;)

I got given a pink Squier Bullet guitar by a firend who's teenage daughter had given up on it. It didn't play too bad after a set up but was slightly lacking resonance.

Thinking the pink guitar would be a fun gimmick for gigs I did a few mods. I had some slightly better pickups, good tuners, wiring and pots lying around so put them in. Gave it a decent nut and some graphtec saddles. Perfectly good guitar and nice and light. It's my main performance guitar now.

Cheap guitars are fun. And I have a Gibson ES335, high-end telecaster and US Strat.

macthetiger85
Nov 12, 2012, 03:33 PM

You'd be surprised what a musician hears.

Ecoh
Nov 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
I have a grandson, 12 years old, thinks he wants to learn to play guitar. It sounds like a great learning tool to me. He already has an iPod, so it sounds like it is just plug and play for $200. Great Christmas gift.

Question for people that know guitars. Is this such a crap device a 12 yo will not have fun learning on it ? Will he get frustrated with it ?

I figure if he gets serious about it we will upgrade his equipment, if he loses interest, then we cut our losses at $200. He will still benefit from the music lessons.

macthetiger85
Nov 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
It's a crap device made for a 12 year old to easily test the waters with it. If he has an iPod touch all he needs is GarageBand. If a late teen or adult is buying this to play in a band. It's junk. For someone tryi g to get accustomed to electric guitars, this is where to go. However I always tell people they should start on acoustic first. Learn the chords. Practice scales. When you can play scales fast, cleanly and in every key, then get an electric. Then you can play anything you want on either instrument.

MacDav
Nov 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
I got given a pink Squier Bullet guitar by a firend who's teenage daughter had given up on it. It didn't play too bad after a set up but was slightly lacking resonance.

Thinking the pink guitar would be a fun gimmick for gigs I did a few mods. I had some slightly better pickups, good tuners, wiring and pots lying around so put them in. Gave it a decent nut and some graphtec saddles. Perfectly good guitar and nice and light. It's my main performance guitar now.

Cheap guitars are fun. And I have a Gibson ES335, high-end telecaster and US Strat.

Well good for you. Unfortunately, 99% of the people who will buy this guitar don't even know what pickups are, or what a nut is. Glad your enjoy doing mods on cheap guitars, but the average person out there hasn't got a clue about this. Have fun though. :)

usersince86
Nov 12, 2012, 04:17 PM

Not totally true.

Correct, this is not a Fender strat. It is a Squier strat.

But some Squier guitars are very "Fender"... if you don't believe it, check out web reviews of some of the newer Squier guitars. To many musicians, they rival some of the American made strats, and are better than the Mexi-strats, which carry the Fender name. (For the record, I've played Strats for years, and had a '65 strat; and currently have a Squier Classic Vibe 50's guitar, which is incredible, especially for the price.)

Obviously, an instrument is somewhat subjective, but to say "there is nothing 'Fender' about this guitar" is misleading.

Peace
Nov 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
If you are a serious musician or guitarist do NOT buy this guitar.

Like someone else said. Buy a real Strat.

juniormaj
Nov 12, 2012, 05:12 PM

To be fair, this does offer one thing that the Apogee device does not, and that is the bi-directionality that sends the signal back to a built in headphone amp in the guitar.

This may not seem like a big deal to many, and it doesn't change the fact that at the core this is a lower end Squier strat, but I can see where it would be nice to plug your headphones directly into the guitar and only have the USB cable going to your Mac/iOS device.

I've owned an Apogee JAM for a couple of years, and have 3 American-made guitars that I regularly run through it (Gibson Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster, and G&L Legacy), so this guitar is probably not for me.
However, I can see it as potentially a good starter guitar, and the idea of not having 2 cables stretching between me and GarageBand is a plus.

The built in headphone amp might actually sound better than the headphone amp in the Mac/iOS device. Doubtful, but without hands on experience I wouldn't completely dismiss it.

Nunyabinez
Nov 12, 2012, 06:14 PM
This is a fine beginner's guitar but would not do for someone who is serious. I have a squire strat (an upgraded model with a maple neck) and it is an OK guitar, but it doesn't compare to my Ibanez at all. Even simple things like getting it in tune are hard. I know it would be better if I had someone really set it up properly (who wants to pay to have someone setup up a $150 guitar), but my Ibanez kicks the crap out of it. And it's just some old Japanese model.

I bought a 1/4" to USB cable from Alesis that works great with my rig. I just plug it into my mac and go. I think it was $40 bucks and I haven't had any problems with it.

Hawkeye411
Nov 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Nice :) :apple:

hamkor04
Nov 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
any idrums?

Drunken Master
Nov 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
buy a real strat

This sounds like a good beginner guitar.

My first electric guitar wasn't even as good as a Squier.

I would hate to buy a kid a real Strat only for them to lose interest in it, even if it is a used Mexistrat like mine that cost about $250.

e-coli
Nov 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
Nice Apple.
Just keep selling overpriced accessories for your intentionally obsoleted products, and wonder why your stock continues to dive.
The rest of us could use a good laugh. X'-D

You don't know what you're talking about.

John.B
Nov 12, 2012, 10:14 PM
Not totally true.

Correct, this is not a Fender strat. It is a Squier strat.

But some Squier guitars are very "Fender"... if you don't believe it, check out web reviews of some of the newer Squier guitars. To many musicians, they rival some of the American made strats, and are better than the Mexi-strats, which carry the Fender name. (For the record, I've played Strats for years, and had a '65 strat; and currently have a Squier Classic Vibe 50's guitar, which is incredible, especially for the price.)

Obviously, an instrument is somewhat subjective, but to say "there is nothing 'Fender' about this guitar" is misleading.

Yes, a Squier Strat looks like a Strat and sounds like a Strat. My point was that the only Fender involvement is licensing the trademarks and dictating build specs. The build of Squier guitars are all outsourced to a series of third party guitar manufacturers in Asia, some better at QC than others.

I think I said as much farther down the thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16282331#post16282331). :cool:

tgurske
Nov 13, 2012, 12:24 AM
This is a cool guitar for someone who is looking at that price range... a beginner. A more advanced player will probably have multiple guitars and can use other tech to connect to computers.

In regards to the cable: Guitar players should all be used to playing with a cable and a 100ms delay is completely unacceptable. We would set a 15ms delay difference between the monitors on the front of the stage and the ones in the back and you could tell the difference. Musicians hear everything.

robertosh
Nov 13, 2012, 02:19 AM

Latence?

----------

I have the iRig adaptor for my Squier and works with Garageband aswell. i don't use often cause i have to put the earphones on my ipod and then i have two cables around me and is not very confortable for playing..and the ipod between them

rainydays
Nov 13, 2012, 05:43 AM
For the record, the article title is wrong. They are selling a Squier Strat, not a Fender Strat.

Well, since Fender owns Squier it's not completely wrong. Especially not since Fender has been marketing them as "Squier by Fender" lately and Fender is even in the logo. They are also displaying them on the main Fender site as a part of the family rather than on a seperate site like they used to.

So I actually don't think it's wrong to call them Fender guitars even though they are their very cheapest models.

Also, to those who bash it based on the price. I think some might be surprised how good some of the low cost guitars are these days. Sure the electronics are not good, and the finish is usually not great either, but many of them play surprisingly well for the price.

----------

Musicians hear everything.

Yeah. But guitarists only hear themselves. :D

ncaissie
Nov 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
Best. Guitars. Ever.

Worse site ever! LOL the menu goes up above page so there are models that you can't select.

Brammy
Nov 13, 2012, 10:15 AM
I went to order one of these as a project guitar. I was going to get a Squire and pretty much gut it with new hardware as a previous poster did.

This thing just shows as "out of stock." Is it sold out already?

iMule
Nov 13, 2012, 10:28 AM
Apogee Jam is bad@ss. I remember being in my old basement in a small room with pedals everywhere, wires tangled, you name it. Now, it's pretty convenient to hook up to GarageBand and play through the iPad.

90miles
Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
Make me a custom shop Fender Strat with a road-worn finish and I'll buy it.

nemesiswar
Nov 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Worse site ever! LOL the menu goes up above page so there are models that you can't select.

Really? nothing i can see?

----------

This sounds like a good beginner guitar.

My first electric guitar wasn't even as good as a Squier.

I would hate to buy a kid a real Strat only for them to lose interest in it, even if it is a used Mexistrat like mine that cost about $250.

You might be on to something there, although personally i would recommend a guitar+ amplifier set for 50-100 .
Although it is fun to record what you are doing

b166er
Nov 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
This is really cool for people who are interested in learning the guitar. I'm sure a lot of apps will roll out that will use this interface to teach guitar basics.

For anyone who has been playing guitar more than a month, anyone who records even at an immature garage band level, or anyone who isn't completely tone deaf, this is a waste of money. As others have said, it's not a true Fender. There are a lot of third party interface options if you want to use a real guitar with you iOS device.

Also, for the acoustic players out there, Ovaiton has been making their "idea" guitars for a couple years now. Pretty cool idea for a mid level acoustic guitar price. I picked one up a while back just to use it as kind of a note pad for song ideas and while it is certainly not the best acoustic on the market, the sound is pretty great and the pre-amp/usb/mp3 all in one interface is idiot proof.

Psychj0e
Nov 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
apple are making guitars now? that's freaking awesome! even better that it can be connected up to the iphone because thats my main computer! so excited!

efktd
Nov 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Is this only for garage band? I don't understand how garage band is built to receive these signals, but would acting as a midi controller allow it to be used with any DAW?

The Wedge
Nov 13, 2012, 01:29 PM

Playing music isn't just about hearing, it's also about feeling. And if something is off, even if it's just a few milliseconds, then it doesn't feel right.

John.B
Nov 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
Well, since Fender owns Squier it's not completely wrong. Especially not since Fender has been marketing them as "Squier by Fender" lately and Fender is even in the logo. They are also displaying them on the main Fender site as a part of the family rather than on a seperate site like they used to.

So I actually don't think it's wrong to call them Fender guitars even though they are their very cheapest models.

As I said earlier, the difference is that Squiers are built by which ever outsourcing Asian builder is the low bidder that quarter, and that nobody from Fender ever sees these before they are boxed and shipped to Guitar Center. There are a few good ones out there, but you'd have to play a bunch of them to find that one, which is hard do when you're buying a pre-boxed guitar that hasn't been setup since it left the factory in China.

Conversely, Fender employees build and QC Fender guitars.

thisrocks
Nov 13, 2012, 09:58 PM
This is exactly how I learned to play guitar...in 2005

Having a (virtual) world of effects and Amps at my disposal kept me going, and heavy distortion helps cover up mistakes, and keeps you playing, plus you leave a bunch of recordings in your wake and can actually listen to how much progress you are making.

SandynJosh
Nov 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
That said, every guitar is made of wood and involves some level of hand assembly. That means variability from one guitar to the next. Someone buying one would do well to play many guitars (or have a guitar-playing friend help) to pick out the best one, and not just buy any old guitar sold in a box.

Back when I bought my strat in '61 you had to try out several as they didn't even make the necks the same widths and depths.

Lex Yu
Nov 14, 2012, 04:07 AM

You are totally right! Nothing that is designed in America and manufactured in China is good, just like iPhones and iPa..... oh, wait!

I can tell that you are NOT a musician. I'm 100% sure.

Millisecond MATTERS when you are playing guitars!

Transfer speed of WiFi/BT is not the problem, the problem is called LATENCY!!!

rainydays
Nov 14, 2012, 04:37 AM
As I said earlier, the difference is that Squiers are built by which ever outsourcing Asian builder is the low bidder that quarter, and that nobody from Fender ever sees these before they are boxed and shipped to Guitar Center.

So it has to come from a Fender-owned plant in order to be a Fender guitar?
By that logic Apple products wouldn't be Apple products since they are made by Foxconn.

rjenovai
Nov 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
I came *so* close to buying that Rocksmith game for my PS3 yesterday afternoon. I used to play rhythm guitar in a band my buddies put together back in the early 90's, and have always hung onto at least one guitar since then. Truthfully, I'm *way* out of practice and just sold my half-stack a few months ago when I relocated for a new job. (Just didn't make sense having something so big and loud when I was going to be living in a townhouse apartment right next to other families.)

I think I'm too involved with other things now to consider seriously playing in a band again, and I'm not even that motivated to learn new songs anymore. But if I had a game to hook the guitar up to, I'd probably get some more use and enjoyment out of it.

What stopped me is this: The guy at GameStop warned me "there have been a lot of issues with the cable" that comes with it --- so much so that they refuse to carry used copies of Rocksmith.

Anyone know how serious an issue this really is?

I've had rocksmith since launch for the Xbox 360 and haven't had any sort of latency issues at all. I think it's either system or setup specific. The rocksmith forums at ubi should help shed some light as well: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/151-Rocksmith

ncaissie
Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
I've had rocksmith since launch for the Xbox 360 and haven't had any sort of latency issues at all. I think it's either system or setup specific. The rocksmith forums at ubi should help shed some light as well: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/151-Rocksmith

Thanks for the info.
Has it helped you learn or did you already know how to play? I'm looking to learn. I asked my wife and kids to get it for me for X-mas.

AChia
Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
My 12 year old son is interested in this guitar. My question is will the combination of this guitar and Garage Band help him learn how to play? I'm not really familiar with the pros and cons of the interface and I would love to know if it will be able to teach the notes and correct him also?

Thanks for the help...

b166er
Nov 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
So it has to come from a Fender-owned plant in order to be a Fender guitar?
By that logic Apple products wouldn't be Apple products since they are made by Foxconn.

I think the big difference here is, there is Fender, and then there is Squire who are a branch of Fender but for the entry level player. Fender has operations in Asia, the US, Mexico, and probably elsewhere. These are licensed through Fender but the guys at Fender really have nothing to do with the production. Toyota, Scion, and Lexus are all the same company- look at the huge quality gaps between those three.

With Apple, yeah the products come from Asia, but they are all Apple products. There is no sister company, there is no different set of specs and standards like there is with Fender VS Squire.

Not only that but the iPhone 5 is proof enough that any product made off site is subject to a lack of QC that can effect a large percentage of customers.

Wokeupinapanic
Nov 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
My 12 year old son is interested in this guitar. My question is will the combination of this guitar and Garage Band help him learn how to play? I'm not really familiar with the pros and cons of the interface and I would love to know if it will be able to teach the notes and correct him also?

Thanks for the help...

Not really, no. GarageBand on say, an iPod Touch, isn't the same as on a laptop or desktop. It is basically just a way for him to record stuff quickly. There are ways that he can look at chords and match the notes he hears on a smart instrument to his real instrument, but there are FAR better ways to learn how to play.

Honestly, as a musician who is entirely self taught, this guitar and this app isn't going to do anything for him that cheaper instruments and apps can't, and would be able to do better.

Even a simple pocket guide with scales and chord structures would do more for his ability to play than iOS GarageBand ever could. Now, if he has the touch/phone/iPad already, but doesn't have an amp/computer with GarageBand, or anything like that, then this will definitely be FUN. The amps, the pedals, all the little bells and whistles that the app has would be awesome for a kid to just jam away on.

If he wants it because he thinks it will just be awesome to jam out with headphones on, and maybe record some tracks and stuff, then yeah, go for it. But this isn't a teaching tool that will go over music fundamentals.

rainydays
Nov 15, 2012, 04:08 AM
I think the big difference here is, there is Fender, and then there is Squire who are a branch of Fender but for the entry level player. Fender has operations in Asia, the US, Mexico, and probably elsewhere. These are licensed through Fender but the guys at Fender really have nothing to do with the production. Toyota, Scion, and Lexus are all the same company- look at the huge quality gaps between those three.

Of course I know that there's a difference between Apple and Fender in that sense. But my point was that the headline isn't wrong. It is a Fender guitar.
They used to be separate brands, but not anymore.
Gretsch however are not Fender guitars even though they own the brand.

But the essence of that discussion is pretty interesting. It shows how much, or little, that goes into a brand really. How far away can you get from peoples perception of a brand without destroying it?
To some people CIJ and MIM Fenders aren't "true Fender guitars" because they aren't crafted by american hands. But most have accepted that Fender guitars can be made outside of the US now.
So what makes a Fender a Fender then? Is it a certain level of quality? Is it a certain body shape?
Tokai used to make strat copies of exceptional quality. Were they Fenders? No.

A brand is after all just a brand. And yet it's many companies most important assets these days. It's kinda funny when you think about it.

ThunderSkunk
Nov 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Wow, that's cheap. 20 years ago I bought a Squire Strat to learn on and it was $325. ...and didn't include any of this fancy stuff or the sunburst finish. I mean, it's still just a cheap guitar, but jeez, I played it for 15 years, hacked it all apart and rebuilt it into dozens of weird configurations, gigged with it, dropped it, lent it out, until it was ultimately stolen, & then I didn't even really mind that much. Whereas, I just baby my custom in the room it never leaves by comparison. The squire was probably the best few hundred I ever spent on musical equip.

Nice to see them still at it.

Macman45
Nov 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
Personally, I'm sticking with my vintage 1990 USA sunburst...:D

John.B
Nov 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
Personally, I'm sticking with my vintage 1990 USA sunburst...:D

Loved the lace sensor pickups they used to put in those! :cool:

gnasher729
Nov 19, 2012, 02:12 PM

250 milliseconds is an 8th note at 120 bpm. A guitar player lagging that much behind would be very, very audible except to the most tone deaf listener.