PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 is definitely too small...

raptorstv
Nov 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
My gf just recently got her Samsung Galaxy Note II. I love the screen size, the phone still fits in my jeans pocket... The only drawback is that I look funny when using it for phone calling. Other than that, it's really pleasant to use the device for entertainment and reading files. I am so jealous!!!! Apple, we want a 5-inch phone... BRING IT!!!!!

hyteckit
Nov 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm waiting for a 6" iPhone. The iPhone 6.

zbarvian
Nov 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Speak for yourself, I do NOT want a 5" phone. I'll go to 4.5" (with less bezel of course), but most of the time I use my iPhone it's one-handed.

Ericcc
Nov 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
You mean the iPhone size selection is definitely non-existent ;)

A lot of people like the iPhone's current size. If Apple is to make a larger iPhone, it won't be at the expense of the current model imho. They'll prolly expand the selection a bit like the iPods.

Wrathwitch
Nov 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
I agree.

If it were a proper 4.3 - 4.5" screen I might have been tempted.

smellysox8
Nov 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
My gf just recently got her Samsung Galaxy Note II. I love the screen size, the phone still fits in my jeans pocket... The only drawback is that I look funny when using it for phone calling. Other than that, it's really pleasant to use the device for entertainment and reading files. I am so jealous!!!! Apple, we want a 5-inch phone... BRING IT!!!!!

Went iPhone 4 -> HTC One X -> Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Loving the size of the Note 2. Going back to HTC One X wouldn't be too insufferable. But can't do the size of the iPhone 5.

Twixt
Nov 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
I was willing to test Note 2 in an Orange shop, which I did and enjoyed.
iPhone 5 was close so it was an easy comparison size wise, also compared to SG3 iP5 screen looks like a dwarf...
I was expecting Note 2 to feel heavier than it actually is, quite acceptable and exciting device for dual Pro/casual usages.

Timzer
Nov 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
Speak for yourself, I do NOT want a 5" phone. I'll go to 4.5" (with less bezel of course), but most of the time I use my iPhone it's one-handed.

There's not a shred of doubt in my mind you will buy an iPhone regardless of size. How many here have said 3.5 inch is perfect. Now you all sing a different tune. Funny how that works. Remember how PPI was everything, but now you have android phone beating the iPhone in ppi, and all of a sudden its no big deal. You Apple followers take anything apple gives you. I'm guessing you also agree with Apple that the iPad mini can be used with one hand.

ITS ME DAVID
Nov 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
There's not a shred of doubt in my mind you will buy an iPhone regardless of size. How many here have said 3.5 inch is perfect. Now you all sing a different tune. Funny how that works. Remember how PPI was everything, but now you have android phone beating the iPhone in ppi, and all of a sudden its no big deal. You Apple followers take anything apple gives you. I'm guessing you also agree with Apple that the iPad mini can be used with one hand.

No Ty I don't want to lug around a humongous cell phone just cause I was a 20" screen those Samsung phones are rediculous.

OceanView
Nov 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
Many people with blinders on in this website.
Try removing them once in a while, you'll experience new things which may surprise you.

zbarvian
Nov 12, 2012, 07:27 PM

Well, you're wrong. Try to make me sound like a blind follower some more though, or just group me into the extreme follower cult. All iPhone owners are like that, right?

SlCKB0Y
Nov 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
Well, you're wrong. Try to make me sound like a blind follower some more though, or just group me into the extreme follower cult. All iPhone owners are like that, right?

No, not all but you definitely are.

Anyone who has read this subforum for any length of time recognises your blind zealotry and it must take an extraordinary lack of self perception for you not to be able to see this.

cnev3
Nov 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
My phone is a pocket device. I use it on the go. Portability and battery life are key. I'm not going to be watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy on it, but I do want it to fit in my jeans pocket, and use it comfortably with one hand.

zbarvian
Nov 12, 2012, 09:02 PM

Anyone who has read this subforum for any length of time recognises your blind zealotry and it must take an extraordinary lack of self perception for you not to be able to see this.

Blind zealotry? Accusations, accusations. I'm not a blind follower. It's funny you think that, though.

smellysox8
Nov 12, 2012, 09:16 PM
Blind zealotry? Accusations, accusations. I'm not a blind follower. It's funny you think that, though.

Yes you are. And it's hilarious every time you claim you aren't.

ugahairydawgs
Nov 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
My gf just recently got her Samsung Galaxy Note II. I love the screen size, the phone still fits in my jeans pocket... The only drawback is that I look funny when using it for phone calling. Other than that, it's really pleasant to use the device for entertainment and reading files. I am so jealous!!!! Apple, I want a 5-inch phone... BRING IT!!!!!

Fixed the last sentence for you.

tjl3
Nov 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
Try removing them once in a while, you'll experience new things which may surprise you.

Sure, I'll buy any phone w/ a 5+" screen... gtfo blinders.

carefreecork
Nov 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
OP - you want it a larger iPhone, but find a larger phone than the current one odd to use as a phone?

I am loving the increased size and feel they have got it just right for all uses, including that of a phone.

zbarvian
Nov 12, 2012, 11:40 PM
Yes you are. And it's hilarious every time you claim you aren't.

It's uproarious when you claim to know something of me when you so obviously don't. I laud Apple for their quality, but they're not perfect. Far from it. I much like what Google is doing in mobile, and I genuinely don't want my next phone to be an iPhone. Sooooo.........

nba1341
Nov 13, 2012, 01:37 AM
iPhone 5 has a really small screen. I can't believe they decided to just make it longer rather than wider.

Guessing they will fix this in the next version hopefully make the screen at least 4.3"

Abby21
Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 AM
Maybe could wait the iPhone 6.
That should be a Phone+Tab :)

daveathall
Nov 13, 2012, 02:12 AM

I definitely agree, seems like others do also, you have a lot of thumbs up votes.

Technarchy
Nov 13, 2012, 04:22 AM
After using the RAZR-M a bit, I'm convinced Apple could go up to 4.3" inches without impacting the ergonomics people enjoy about the iPhone.

4.3" is my limit for a phone, but I don't especially have a problem with the 4" screen either.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
After using the RAZR-M a bit, I'm convinced Apple could go up to 4.3" inches without impacting the ergonomics people enjoy about the iPhone.

4.3" is my limit for a phone, but I don't especially have a problem with the 4" screen either.

This. I would really want 4.3" in roughly the same body size.

theluggage
Nov 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
You mean the iPhone size selection is definitely non-existent ;)

This.

Some people want a phone that they can occasionally use for web, movies, ebooks and email on the move. Maybe they also carry an iPad or an Air. Other people want a web/email/movie/ebook reader that they can occasionally use as a phone. Maybe they have a larger device, but don't want the hassle and expense of two cellular contracts or tethering. Some people habitually wear clothes with decent pockets, others wear spray-on jeans.

The problem with the iPhone is not that it is the "wrong" size, it is that one size doesn't fit all. The non-iPhone world offers phones of all sizes. Samsung alone offer 3", 4.8" and 5.5" in their "Galaxy" range, and there are many more options if you look beyond Samsung. Phones with large screens are selling like hotcakes. Apple could get some of that action if it produced the "iPhone mini" and "iPhone wide" alongside the current model. They've had a great opportunity - with the introduction of retina displays and the iPad mini - to move developers over to a resolution-independent model so Apps support different screen sizes and shapes.

Apple are, instead, running ads about the iPhone 5 screen size being "common sense" (...which it may be for scrolling contacts lists or using mobile versions of websites, but it's certainly not common sense for accessing full-sized websites, maps/GPS or reading ebooks).

We're not talking about the product-line bloat that some other manufacturers - lots of competing models with exciting names like XTC700B/EC - just a choice of 2 or 3 form factors, just like MacBooks, iMacs, iPods, iPad...

onthecouchagain
Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 AM
What's the next natural size up for the iphone so that it can scale to the same resolution so that it doesn't cause fragmentation? Has anyone done the math? Would it be a reasonable size between 4" and 5"?

rmhop81
Nov 13, 2012, 09:10 AM

let me know how your note 5 with a 7inch screen works out for you. just save your cash and buy a nexus 7 and do voip instead!!

people have different needs/likes. not everyone is the same. I like the idea of a Note 2...but then i'm reminded it has android......

smellysox8
Nov 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
It's uproarious when you claim to know something of me when you so obviously don't. I laud Apple for their quality, but they're not perfect. Far from it. I much like what Google is doing in mobile, and I genuinely don't want my next phone to be an iPhone. Sooooo.........

You are not fooling anyone. But you are free to keep on trying.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
You are not fooling anyone. But you are free to keep on trying.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. If you're going to be cynical that's not my concern.

raptorstv
Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Apple needs to release a larger phone, or else the stock price will continue to fall

ericrwalker
Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Apple needs to release a larger phone, or else the stock price will continue to fall

Stock price rose to over $700 with a 3.5" screen, increasing the screen to 4" didn't help the stock price go up. You think going bigger will help the stock price? Get out of here. :rolleyes:

Just because you want a tablet phone, doesn't mean everyone else does. I am happy with my iPhone 4S screen, though I don't mind the iPhone 5 screen, but as far as many are concerned it's large enough. You might want to get an iPad Mini with cellular service.

raptorstv
Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
Epic fail by apple

----------

Stock price rose to over $700 with a 3.5" screen, increasing the screen to 4" didn't help the stock price go up. You think going bigger will help the stock price? Get out of here. :rolleyes:

Just because you want a tablet phone, doesn't mean everyone else does. I am happy with my iPhone 4S screen, though I don't mind the iPhone 5 screen, but as far as many are concerned it's large enough. You might want to get an iPad Mini with cellular service.

Ok smartpants, find me just one review comparing iphone5 vs galaxy note2 that concludes the iphone5 is better

ericrwalker
Nov 13, 2012, 02:14 PM
Epic fail by apple

----------

Ok smartpants, find me just one review comparing iphone5 vs galaxy note2 that concludes the iphone5 is better

We already know iOS is better than Android, I guess that settles that.

You are the one claiming the stock prices are down because the screen is too small. Prove it, smartpants.:rolleyes:

TheHateMachine
Nov 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
We already know iOS is better than Android, I guess that settles that.

You are the one claiming the stock prices are down because the screen is too small. Prove it, smartpants.:rolleyes:

We already know Android is better than iOS, I guess that settles that.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Let the flame war begin

TennisandMusic
Nov 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Completely absurd Apple does not offer a choice. They could offer 4, 4.5 and 5 inch models, and the apps should work like every other app model in existence, i.e. flexible according to the resolution of the device. OSX doesn't only run in 1 or 2 resolutions, it runs in ANY monitor size you have. Same with Windows, and...wait for it...android.

This hard coded resolution nonsense on iOS devices and apps is absurd.

I, too, want a 5 inch iPhone. I am dying to get something bigger, the iPhone feels like a complete toy at this point, even if I do prefer it overall. The tiny size and illegible text on many websites is not one of them.

ericrwalker
Nov 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
Let the flame war begin

LOL, it was a stupid comparison. To say that a screen size of one of many products a company offers is making the stock drop.

The iPhone is still the best selling phone there is, regardless of a 3.5" screen or 4" screen. Must be the OS or the quality of the hardware that's selling it.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
LOL, it was a stupid comparison. To say that a screen size of one of many products a company offers is making the stock drop.

The iPhone is still the best selling phone there is, regardless of a 3.5" screen or 4" screen. Must be the OS or the quality of the hardware that's selling it.

Hands down it's the best hardware quality. Software is debatable, you can easily argue both sides. Plus you're posting in an alternative forum where the rabid Android fans lurk, you'll get killed in here lol

siiip5
Nov 13, 2012, 02:58 PM

Actually, it isn't.

If you want to go by individual phones, the S3 outsold any single iphone last quarter.
If you want to lump all devices together, Samsung (all by itself) sold more smartphones last quarter than Apple sold in the last two quarters.
And outside of the US and parts of the UK, the iphone isn't even a major player. Most Americans have this belief that the rest of the world is just like the US. It isn't.

And you might want to review that last sentence of yours. Many people don't view a phone that comes to you pre-dented and pre-scratched, with light bleed and pixelization issues as "quality". At least, I don't. It will be interesting to see if Apple can sell more than 30 million iPhones this quarter. If they don't, it is going to be bad for Tim Cook. The pundits will begin slinging the mud that Apple died with Jobs. I already feel that way.

ericrwalker
Nov 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hands down it's the best hardware quality. Software is debatable, you can easily argue both sides. Plus you're posting in an alternative forum where the rabid Android fans lurk, you'll get killed in here lol

I understand that, and I agree with that 100%. I see benefits to both operating systems. My gripe was with the fact that he believes Apple's stock is dropping because one item that they sell is too small. I'd like to see some evidence that backs that up.

----------

Oh I see I didn't realize that after how many years? 5 Apple didn't have the best selling phone for a single quarter. Seems people were waiting for the iPhone 5 release so Samsung finally made a phone to outsell Apple for the first time in years.

What percentage of iPhones are defective/damaged out of the box? Do you have stats on that? When you sell millions on the first week, there are bound some. From what I have seen many of those are people being too picky.

Actually, it isn't.

If you want to go by individual phones, the S3 outsold any single iphone last quarter.
If you want to lump all devices together, Samsung (all by itself) sold more smartphones last quarter than Apple sold in the last two quarters.
And outside of the US and parts of the UK, the iphone isn't even a major player. Most Americans have this belief that the rest of the world is just like the US. It isn't.

And you might want to review that last sentence of yours. Many people don't view a phone that comes to you pre-dented and pre-scratched, with light bleed and pixelization issues as "quality". At least, I don't. It will be interesting to see if Apple can sell more than 30 million iPhones this quarter. If they don't, it is going to be bad for Tim Cook. The pundits will begin slinging the mud that Apple died with Jobs. I already feel that way.

OceanView
Nov 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
I understand that, and I agree with that 100%. I see benefits to both operating systems. My gripe was with the fact that he believes Apple's stock is dropping because one item that they sell is too small. I'd like to see some evidence that backs that up.

Apple stock dropping is based on the belief that the stock will not rise again (short or long term).

I have a feeling that most investors realize Apple has had its run and the best of this company is now the past.
At least until something innovative happens soon instead of these small upgrades.

ericrwalker
Nov 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
That's basically the deal with any publicly traded stock. Quality control is something to look at, but it's something that could and hopefully will be fixed. Other than that, Apple has a lot of room still to capture the PC market, and if they continue their trend on increasing their market share of households with a MAC, and still produce a great quality (back to innovation and quality control) we could see a rise in stock prices again.

Apple stock dropping is based on the belief that the stock will not rise again (short or long term).

I have a feeling that most investors realize Apple has had its run and the best of this company is now the past.
At least until something innovative happens soon instead of these small upgrades.

nickchallis92
Nov 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
anyone who still thinks ios is better than android is deluded

wake up

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
anyone who still thinks ios is better than android is deluded

wake up

Anyone who thinks either is a clear-cut winner for all consumers is deluded...

onthecouchagain
Nov 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
What's the next natural size up for the iphone so that it can scale to the same resolution so that it doesn't cause fragmentation? Has anyone done the math? Would it be a reasonable size between 4" and 5"?

Anybody???

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Anybody???

Do you mean bigger screen, same resolution, but still retina?

4.3" at the same resolution would be 303 ppi

irnchriz
Nov 13, 2012, 05:23 PM

I support plenty of 'surprised' business customers who now have a ***** time with exchange since buying big shiny android phones.

Plastic fantastic? Barbie dolls of the mobile world, no thanks.

nick_elt
Nov 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
I recently got the note 2 but now when I pick up the wife's 4s it seems so tiny even tho I had an iphone for over 4 years. I don't know how I did so much browsing on it. After taking the plunge I Def couldn't go back to iphone unless they made the screen at least 4.5" pref more. And yes I was one of those guys that laughed at the original note when it came out. It truthfully is amazing.

----------

Do you mean bigger screen, same resolution, but still retina?

4.3" at the same resolution would be 303 ppi

Apple needs to up the resolution in 2013. When the 4 came out it was great. It's behind the 8 ball now.

----------

Why doesn't Apple make 2 sizes of iphones. I know they don't a massive product range like some of their competitors but they have different sizes of all their other products. I know plenty of people that now is on Android mainly for the size.

nanoweewee
Nov 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=nick_elt;16290443]I recently got the note 2 but now when I pick up the wife's 4s it seems so tiny even tho I had an iphone for over 4 years. I don't know how I did so much browsing on it. After taking the plunge I Def couldn't go back to iphone unless they made the screen at least 4.5" pref more. And yes I was one of those guys that laughed at the original note when it came out. It truthfully is amazing.

----------

So true!! Now I look at my iphone4, it looks so tiny!

raptorstv
Nov 13, 2012, 06:41 PM
Apple is an ugly and uselsss phone really....

Rogifan
Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
I think MR needs to rename this forum the "bash Apple" forum. Because that's what seems to be going on here more often than not. :rolleyes:

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
I recently got the note 2 but now when I pick up the wife's 4s it seems so tiny even tho I had an iphone for over 4 years. I don't know how I did so much browsing on it. After taking the plunge I Def couldn't go back to iphone unless they made the screen at least 4.5" pref more. And yes I was one of those guys that laughed at the original note when it came out. It truthfully is amazing.

----------

Apple needs to up the resolution in 2013. When the 4 came out it was great. It's behind the 8 ball now.

----------

Why doesn't Apple make 2 sizes of iphones. I know they don't a massive product range like some of their competitors but they have different sizes of all their other products. I know plenty of people that now is on Android mainly for the size.

I'm hoping the next revision to the iPhone (hopefully not 2 years away) will have a 4.5" higher res screen with a similar sized body. I feel like that would please the most amount of people, myself included.

aznguyen316
Nov 13, 2012, 07:21 PM

Did. Tried a S3 4.8" for two months. Was fun phone, but overall too big, so I traded it for a Razr M 4.3" screen Edge to edge - so the size of the phone is about the same as the iPhone 5. Love it so much more and willing to give up some features of the S3 for the size of the M. I wish I could get a iP5 for a decent price now. Oh I moved from a 4S to the S3.

nickchallis92
Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
Anyone who thinks either is a clear-cut winner for all consumers is deluded...

Nobody prefers having an operating system whereby you have to jump through thousands of hoops just to achieve basic tasks.

Nobody

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
Nobody prefers having an operating system whereby you have to jump through thousands of hoops just to achieve basic tasks.

Nobody

I'm sorry which operating system are you talking about?

Nobody prefers a fragmented, inferior ecosystem. Nobody.

smellysox8
Nov 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry which operating system are you talking about?

Nobody prefers a fragmented, inferior ecosystem. Nobody.

Not fooling anyone. LOL

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
Not fooling anyone. LOL

Smelly socks, say something worthwhile. Please.

hyteckit
Nov 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
Apple is an ugly and uselsss phone really....

So why do you care if Apple comes out with a 5" phone anyway?

----------

what's the next natural size up for the iphone so that it can scale to the same resolution so that it doesn't cause fragmentation? Has anyone done the math? Would it be a reasonable size between 4" and 5"?

6"

smellysox8
Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
Smelly socks, say something worthwhile. Please.

You first.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4o2yn0LQtOE/TtjFvBawBeI/AAAAAAAAAHU/-Gt1RHpBZY4/s320/pot-kettle.jpg

raptorstv
Nov 13, 2012, 07:55 PM
So why do you care if Apple comes out with a 5" phone anyway?

----------

6"

I care because i wasted so much money on apps and accessories

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
You first.

Image (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4o2yn0LQtOE/TtjFvBawBeI/AAAAAAAAAHU/-Gt1RHpBZY4/s320/pot-kettle.jpg)

Okay. I'm going to ignore you now.

hyteckit
Nov 13, 2012, 08:05 PM
I care because i wasted so much money on apps and accessories

Then get yourself an iPod Touch and an Android phone and be done with it.

Or wait forever for something that isn't going to happen.

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Epic fail by apple

Yea I mean they are only on pace to sell 50 million iPhone 5 by end of this year. 50 million phones in 3 months? Such an epic fail right? LOL

hyteckit
Nov 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
I remember when Windows mobile/pocket PC, Nokia, and blackberry fans complain about my iPhone being too big.

How times change.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 08:28 PM
Yea I mean they are only on pace to sell 50 million iPhone 5 by end of this year. 50 million phones in 3 months? Such an epic fail right? LOL

Uh, where are you getting that prediction?

hyteckit
Nov 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Uh, where are you getting that prediction?

I just google for you.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/analyst-december-iphone-5-sales-to-hit-46.5-million

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
I just google for you.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/analyst-december-iphone-5-sales-to-hit-46.5-million

iPhones...not just iPhone 5's...

Technarchy
Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
This. I would really want 4.3" in roughly the same body size.

I think the RAZR-M is very well proportioned. Apple could learn something there. Outside of that, there is nothing about these typical platter android phones that Apple should be eager to emulate.

ChrisTX
Nov 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
Most of us have 2 hands so a 5" iPhone is completely feasible, and would get me back on the iPhone bandwagon. :cool:

OceanView
Nov 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Most of us have 2 hands so a 5" iPhone is completely feasible, and would get me back on the iPhone bandwagon. :cool:

Yes I think Apple made a mistake by sticking with its current size.
The market has shifted and many have chosen to switch rather than to live with the same old same old design.

zbarvian
Nov 14, 2012, 11:49 AM

I don't want to have to use both hands every time I operate my phone.

Twixt
Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
The market has shifted and many have chosen to switch rather than to live with the same old same old design.

You are SO right.
I had this chat with some orange but also apple store employees lately and all of them agree that iphone 5 is just too small with so weird screen...

Anyway holding Note 2 these last days was just a relief that descent screen is at last available!

Joeytpg
Nov 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
I too agree apple should expand a little bit and provide for the other percentage or users that actually want a larger screen phone from apple.

I see the panorama changing quite a bit, still cannot be said that it's a DRASTIC change, but if apple continues the route they've chosen lately, the ball will for certain change sides.

With high mobile internet speeds now (LTE) and faster WIFI connections as well as more and more free hot spots, a lot more users are consuming more and more multimedia, specially streaming videos (youtube, netflix, etc), these type of stuff demands a bigger screen. There will for certain exist a lot of people that want a "normal" size phone but the amount of people that are demanding bigger phones are growing exponentially (look at Samsung's success, and now Google's).

Not too long ago the iPhone was considered a BIG phone (when we made the jump from flip nokia and motorola phones to the smartphones world. Same thing will happen as people get used to bigger screens. Hell I've even seen A LOT of people say that the Galaxy Note 2 is AWESOME and the size is incredible, and that they wouldn't go back to not even a Galaxy S3.

Apple NEEDS to think OUT OF THE BOX again. Samsung is doing it with products such as the Note 2 and the inclusion of the S-Pen (again, A LOT of people bashing this at the beginning and now they love the thing because of how it's been re-engineered)

I for once am switching from a 4S to a Note 2 in the upcoming days, I wanted a Nexus 4 but it's not being sold in my country, still I wouldn't go lower than 4.5 - 4.7 inches anymore (and I own a Nexus 7, so I'm not looking for a PHABLET) I just want a big screen that won't hurt my eyes too much.

P.S.
I'm not even gonna talk about iOS (has become boring and a bit stale. There's just so much you can add to the same OS until it starts acting glitchy) A lot of apps, sure, but Android is catching up incredibly

ReanimationN
Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 PM

Nobody
Agreed, which is why the iPhone has been so successful.

terriyaki
Nov 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
I'm a huge fan of the jump up from 3.5" to 4".

Is 4" still not big enough? It's hard to really say, it's a very subjective topic. I definitely wouldn't mind it if future iPhones continued to get larger screens but I don't think it's as essential as some make it out to be.

I do however think that the iOS UI needs to be revamped to help optimize the relatively smaller screen real estate iPhones have compared to their competitors. The rows and columns of chicklets are way too outdated.

tjl3
Nov 14, 2012, 06:06 PM

No... many more have chosen to live w/ the screen or switch to a smaller screen. They're selling more iPhone's than previously. They might be losing market share but they're also increasing sales (shipped if you'd rather have that) year to year.

ChrisTX
Nov 14, 2012, 07:36 PM

I love iOS, but the same design year after year, just got old. Everyone else is moving forward with larger displays, and Apple is rehashing the same design but making it longer. The iPhone 4 was fresh in design, and packed a ton of new features over the 3G, and 3GS. But Apple with the iPhone 5 essentially took the exact same iPhone 4 design and decided that only making it longer but keeping the design the same would be good enough. It wasn't enough for me, so I switched to the SIII.

Beeplance
Nov 14, 2012, 08:25 PM
There is NO SUCH THING as DEFINITELY TOO SMALL or DEFINITELY TOO BIG.

Everyone has their own tastes & preferences. Just because you like a bigger phone does NOT mean Apple need to release one JUST TO SATISFY YOU.

ReanimationN
Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 PM
I like the iPhone 5's new height, but I wish it was a touch bit wider. I get why it wasn't done, but a bit more width would still be preferable.

raptorstv
Nov 19, 2012, 03:01 AM
As soon as Apple release a larger display iphone, cant wait to just dump my iphone 5

inselstudent
Nov 19, 2012, 03:24 AM
I've been using the nexus 4 for a couple of days now and I wouldn't say that screen size matters that much. That is, not when it comes to surfing the web. IMO it's as follows: either the website you are on is optimised for mobile devices anyway and then it doesn't really matter how big your screen is, or its not optimised and you end up scrolling and zooming like a berserk anyway.

Only advantage of as bigger screen is if you're watching movies, but I'm not really a person who uses their handset to do that kind of stuff anyway.

Oletros
Nov 19, 2012, 03:37 AM

Everyone has their own tastes & preferences. Just because you like a bigger phone does NOT mean Apple need to release one JUST TO SATISFY YOU.

This, there is no right size, there is the right size for your preferences

cuzo
Nov 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
I've been using the nexus 4 for a couple of days now and I wouldn't say that screen size matters that much. That is, not when it comes to surfing the web. IMO it's as follows: either the website you are on is optimised for mobile devices anyway and then it doesn't really matter how big your screen is, or its not optimised and you end up scrolling and zooming like a berserk anyway.

Only advantage of as bigger screen is if you're watching movies, but I'm not really a person who uses their handset to do that kind of stuff anyway.

Amen

daveathall
Nov 19, 2012, 09:30 AM

I agree with this.:)We all have different tastes.

I prefer a slightly larger screen but can see that others like smaller.

urkel
Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 AM

But isn't that the reason why options would be nice?

Just look at the iPad forum a year ago and an overwhelming majority claimed "9.7in is perfect and any smaller wouldn't be functional". Fast forward to now and the Mini is a huge hit and all those people claiming "9.7 is perfect" have either flip flopped their opinion or crawled under a rock.

You're pointing the finger at the guy by saying "Apple doesn't need to release one JUST TO SATISFY YOU" as if hes making a crazy selfish statement, but the reality is that a bigger size satisfies (potentially) more than half of the world and would win back many Android users who chose their phone based on screen rather than OS. So my opinion is that IF given a choice in phone sizes then a larger one would greatly outsell a smaller one because Apple (and its defenders) don't know best.

inhalewaste
Nov 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
According to Apple, there is a "definite" size. And that's why they offer only one (or two, technically). It's "definitely" the right size because it helps prevent fragmentation with apps, allowing them to scale properly. Just like there's a "definite" correct mini tablet size. 7.9"

This is all got from Apple's own presentations, marketing campaigns, and philosophy.

And that's the problem, that they declare what size is right for their users. So while apps are more unified in the App Store, there are also caveats. Apple is very limited to certain screen sizes and they have no choice but to market those sizes to the best of their ability, which includes saying the sizes they've chosen are the only sizes that makes sense, while ridiculing OEMs that dare create other sizes.

----------

Just look at the iPad forum a year ago and an overwhelming majority claimed "9.7in is perfect and any smaller wouldn't be functional". Fast forward to now and the Mini is a huge hit and all those people claiming "9.7 is perfect" have either flip flopped their opinion or crawled under a rock.

You're pointing the finger at the guy by saying "Apple doesn't need to release one JUST TO SATISFY YOU" as if hes making a crazy selfish statement, but the reality is that a bigger size satisfies (potentially) more than half of the world and would win back many Android users who chose their phone based on screen rather than OS. So my opinion is that IF given a choice in phone sizes then a larger one would greatly outsell a smaller one because Apple (and its defenders) don't know best.

OMG, more or less what I just wrote. :)

ericrwalker
Nov 19, 2012, 12:41 PM

Apple stock is up $30 today, there must be a larger phone in the works. :rolleyes:

raptorstv
Dec 5, 2012, 08:53 PM

Best comment evar...

Beeplance
Dec 5, 2012, 09:08 PM
Apple stock is up $30 today, there must be a larger phone in the works. :rolleyes:

Lol, nice one.

Apple really doesn't need to release a phone with a bigger screen just to satisfy everyone. It just needs to come up with an "optimum" screen size that will satisfy the "majority". Apple doesn't need to dominate the smartphone such that it releases several iPhones with different screen sizes to satisfy every individual out there, because there's no sense in that.

There are alot of people out there that are satisfied with 4". You may say that there also also people desiring bigger screens that have gone on to Android phones, but at the end of the day, it is really quite impossible for one company to cater to the entire consumer base.

Mak47
Dec 5, 2012, 11:02 PM
I personally wish Apple had made two sizes of the iPhone 5, a 3.5" display and a larger display version for those who like big screens. Instead, they went with 4" 16:9, which in my opinion is too small to be a comfortable big screen phone and too large and long to be a comfortable small screen phone. The extra real estate for videos is nice, but I use my iPhone to watch tv shows maybe twice a year, I'd rather have a better screen size for everything else.

For me, the 3.5" display was perfect and as such I am disappointed in the iPhone 5. Sadly, there are no other phones on the market with such a display size, so iPhone 5 is still the best solution for me. I wouldn't want a larger phone. The screen size aside, I love the iPhone 5--I'd just love it more if it was 3.5" and still 3:2.

That said, trying to group everyone into a one size fits all scenario isn't going to work. iPhone normal size and iPhone super-size could have been a smart move.

Beeplance
Dec 6, 2012, 03:59 AM
I personally wish Apple had made two sizes of the iPhone 5, a 3.5" display and a larger display version for those who like big screens. Instead, they went with 4" 16:9, which in my opinion is too small to be a comfortable big screen phone and too large and long to be a comfortable small screen phone. The extra real estate for videos is nice, but I use my iPhone to watch tv shows maybe twice a year, I'd rather have a better screen size for everything else.

For me, the 3.5" display was perfect and as such I am disappointed in the iPhone 5. Sadly, there are no other phones on the market with such a display size, so iPhone 5 is still the best solution for me. I wouldn't want a larger phone. The screen size aside, I love the iPhone 5--I'd just love it more if it was 3.5" and still 3:2.

That said, trying to group everyone into a one size fits all scenario isn't going to work. iPhone normal size and iPhone super-size could have been a smart move.

Yeah, I've come across plenty of people like you that prefers the 3.5" screen being the best and most comfortable for them. Maybe you can still get the 4S. :)

Unfortunately, the amount of people saying the iPhone 5's screen is too small and longing for Apple to release a phone with a bigger screen, number in the millions. :(

ericrwalker
Dec 6, 2012, 07:12 AM
Not sure you saw the sarcasm in my post. I am perfectly happy with the 3.5 inch screen. The person I replied to stated that the only reason the stock was falling was that the screen size is still too small.

Lol, nice one.

Apple really doesn't need to release a phone with a bigger screen just to satisfy everyone. It just needs to come up with an "optimum" screen size that will satisfy the "majority". Apple doesn't need to dominate the smartphone such that it releases several iPhones with different screen sizes to satisfy every individual out there, because there's no sense in that.

There are alot of people out there that are satisfied with 4". You may say that there also also people desiring bigger screens that have gone on to Android phones, but at the end of the day, it is really quite impossible for one company to cater to the entire consumer base.

MagicBoy
Dec 6, 2012, 07:18 AM
5" is not a phone, it's an iPad nano.

The current iPhone sizes are perfect, leave them be.

Beeplance
Dec 6, 2012, 07:23 AM
Not sure you saw the sarcasm in my post. I am perfectly happy with the 3.5 inch screen. The person I replied to stated that the only reason the stock was falling was that the screen size is still too small.

Yeah I knew that. Why do you think I said "Lol, nice one."?

Sarcasm is the way of humour in forums like this one.:p

ericrwalker
Dec 6, 2012, 07:26 AM
Yeah I knew that. Why do you think I said "Lol, nice one."?

Sarcasm is the way of humour in forums like this one.:p

I use it a lot, sometimes it's hard to tell in writing if a person is being sarcastic though. Face to face you can usually tell.

Beeplance
Dec 6, 2012, 07:40 AM
I use it a lot, sometimes it's hard to tell in writing if a person is being sarcastic though. Face to face you can usually tell.

Haha exactly. Most people's face just gives them away whenever they're sarcastic.

Btw, the iPhone 5 is not too small!!!! :mad: