PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn off your MacBook Air?

shakeman0
Nov 13, 2012, 07:19 AM
I'm getting my MBA today and I'm thrilled. I was wondering, I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD, do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?

fletch33
Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
i never turn mine off

bembol
Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
Rarely.

Some what off topic...

Genius did tell me when I saw them last week about Tethering issues not to leave her Plugged all the time or overnight. I use an External Monitor, which is why I do but now before I go to bed I unplugged her.

Skoopman
Nov 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
I don't see any reason to leave my MBA on at night. Sure, it does not eat much power, but it turns on in 13 seconds, I can wait.

filmbuff
Nov 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
I only turn it off to use Bootcamp.

rocoloco
Nov 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
I turn it off once to twice a day. always when drifting asleep

Kafka
Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
I close the lid and that's it.

wgnoyes
Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm getting my MBA today and I'm thrilled. I was wondering, I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD, do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?
Travelling? Well, technically during takeoff and landing, they want stuff turned off, O-F-F, off; but I don't know how they'd tell the difference if you just disabled wifi and closed the lid.

Mrbobb
Nov 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD

Is no big deal. I've been letting my 10 years old Windows machine go to sleep and it has HDD. Apple just re-branded it Instant-On (most of us find not so instant)

do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?

Up to you.

The airport people don't care as long as you are not using it during take-off/landing. When sleep on battery, WIFI doesn't come on so u won't bring down the plane.

CoMoMacUser
Nov 13, 2012, 02:51 PM
BTW, does Power Nap work with third-party programs such as Outlook or just Apple software?

plucky duck
Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
I leave mine on 24/7, as I have it set to download shows while I am at work and can come home to enjoy instead of waiting. Saves me more power than doing the same thing on the 27" iMac.

The monitor I will set to turn off after a few minutes, but the computer stays active. I never turn off my iPad either.

Mrbobb
Nov 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
I never turn off my iPad either.

Technically the iPad/iPod don't have power buttons. The so called OFF button is to disable the home button and touchscreen to avoid unintended wake ups.

----------

BTW, does Power Nap work with third-party programs such as Outlook or just Apple software?

PowerNap doesn't sound like a full-fledge scheduler. Am hoping there is a third-party that would do this, haven't researched.

Again, something built-in since WinXP, runs anything at a scheduled time and wakes up the machine to do so, every time or on AC only. OSX seems to be behind on certain things.

kidwithdimples
Nov 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
Rarely.

Usually just close the lid and I am good to go.

skinny*k
Nov 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
I didn't vote in the poll—a turn-off isn't required with OS updates, just a restart. My MBA has been turned off one time since I bought it, and only because I let a friend use it and she turned it off when she was done; its nice to know that the power button works, though :)

Jimbo47
Nov 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
Usually never unless I'm forced to. Though I did have to restart it a bunch of times last week. Something got screwed up somehow and it was getting stuck in "deep" sleep mode. I googled it and others had similar issues. If it was asleep for just awhile, it would start back up fine. However if it was asleep for an hour or more, it would freeze when I opened the lid. I ended up having to do a restore to fix it.

shakeman0
Nov 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Just got it in the mail. I'm loving it so far. It's really fast compared to my '09 MBP. I don't think I'll be turning it off much either. :D

0x000000
Nov 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Congrats. I also never turn off my macs... I've had uptimes of months and the speed was just the same as always, so it really bugs me to see that some people do turn their macbooks off every day. It feels weird, but no matter what you say, they still do it. If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard :confused:

Mrbobb
Nov 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard :confused:

My aunt completely powers down her desktop machine after every use. She even physically reaches down and pulls the modem's power ward from the wall.

Can't punch. ;)

gertruded
Nov 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
I turn off all my computers when not in actual use. There are back doors on all our machines that the authorities and our ruling corporations can access.

It is also important to use several different and rotating hard drives at with different OS's for startup and use different wireless networks during the day.

I have one computer that never goes on line to consolidate. The wi-fi card has been physically disabled.

0x000000
Nov 14, 2012, 03:16 AM
I turn off all my computers when not in actual use. There are back doors on all our machines that the authorities and our ruling corporations can access.

It is also important to use several different and rotating hard drives at with different OS's for startup and use different wireless networks during the day.

I have one computer that never goes on line to consolidate. The wi-fi card has been physically disabled.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/179_signs_____________3.jpg

iamsen47
Nov 14, 2012, 03:30 AM
When not in use, always.

0 watts used is always better than however little during sleep.

Same goes for all other devices, routers, tvs, etc. I just switch off the mains.

BeginnerXP
Nov 14, 2012, 03:54 AM
I never turn my MBA off, power nap allows MBA to receive emails while it sleeps as well and I like that, power consumption while sleeping is very low so it doesn't concern me either.

twintin
Nov 14, 2012, 03:56 AM
Never turn my MBA off unless I have to like yesterday when after an uptime of 38 days my VPN wouldn't disconnect for some reason. Closing the LID is all I do otherwise.

coldjeanzzz
Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 AM
I haven't found any evidence of either one being detrimental to the laptop, but personally I like turning it off every night. and having all my processes and RAM reset when I turn it back on.

in2tech
Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 AM
I have found since getting my MBA about 3 weeks ago that I am not turning it off and basically leaving it on all the time and letting the display dim and not soon thereafter the computer goes to sleep the way I have my settings. Also because I feel less likely to get virus attacks, while away or sleeping with OSX.

My only concern is and has always been when a thunderstorm comes through my area. Yes I have it plugged into a surge protector but storms have always freaked me out. I feel like if we get a powers surge or the power goes out and than comes back on it might damage the computer. Especially those storms that turn the power off and back on several times when the power company transformers are trying to fix the situation and struggle to figure out if they can beat the storm or not!

Are storms an issue for anyone! Have you ever had a computer fried because of a storm?

0x000000
Nov 14, 2012, 06:34 AM
Are storms an issue for anyone! Have you ever had a computer fried because of a storm?

I suppose that's not a problem in developed countries ;)

WilliamLondon
Nov 14, 2012, 07:09 AM
Just got it in the mail. I'm loving it so far. It's really fast compared to my '09 MBP. I don't think I'll be turning it off much either. :D

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love yours. I've got a new 11" which I love. I never turn it off, I just close the lid, and I also pull the power cord out - not sure it's still this way with batteries, but if you always run it off power, it'll wear the battery down faster. I used to have my laptops' batteries replaced about once per year when my work computer was a laptop and I was using it all the time.

Really? The authorities told me that was illegal when they last came to do their monthly "maintenance sweep" of my house and all my electronic devices.

CoMoMacUser
Nov 14, 2012, 08:59 AM

I named my Wi-Fi router "FBI Surveillance Van No. 3."

----------

Have you ever had a computer fried because of a storm?

No, but I know people who have, along with all of the other electronics in their home, including the fridge and furnace.

psxp
Nov 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
I have found since getting my MBA about 3 weeks ago that I am not turning it off and basically leaving it on all the time and letting the display dim and not soon thereafter the computer goes to sleep the way I have my settings. Also because I feel less likely to get virus attacks, while away or sleeping with OSX.

My only concern is and has always been when a thunderstorm comes through my area. Yes I have it plugged into a surge protector but storms have always freaked me out. I feel like if we get a powers surge or the power goes out and than comes back on it might damage the computer. Especially those storms that turn the power off and back on several times when the power company transformers are trying to fix the situation and struggle to figure out if they can beat the storm or not!

Use a UPS to keep the power clean to your devices! Worth it- trust me

tekno
Nov 14, 2012, 09:45 AM
Because Apple still haven't created a useful, non-annoying screen lock, I turn mine off when I leave the house with it, so if it were to be stolen the thief wouldn't be able to access my files.

jerryobr
Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Since the Mac OS has been unix based when OS X first came out, I have always let my Macs just run; I'll put them to sleep when I am not using them, but I never power them down. There is no need to. Any unix based computer works best by letting unix run. This is not like Windows at all. My past experience with Windows is that a daily restart is necessary or performance degrades. I've had Macs of all sorts (all OS X of various flavors) run for 3-6 months without the need for a reboot.

wolfpuppies3
Nov 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
Yes, at the end of the day.

potvkettle
Nov 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Proof?

Technically the iPad/iPod don't have power buttons. The so called OFF button is to disable the home button and touchscreen to avoid unintended wake ups.

Powernap updates the specific applications tied to it in the background -- no need to schedule. If an update occurs, email received, etc., it's pushed to your device.

PowerNap doesn't sound like a full-fledge scheduler. Am hoping there is a third-party that would do this, haven't researched.

Again, something built-in since WinXP, runs anything at a scheduled time and wakes up the machine to do so, every time or on AC only. OSX seems to be behind on certain things.

Or, am I missing something?

PS -- to OP, turn my off occasionally, but not for any one specific purpose, other than to save battery after a charge. For instance, I charge the night before, take it of the charger and shut it down, so that I have a full battery first thing in the morning for the whole day.

jahala
Nov 14, 2012, 12:57 PM

Yes, it was not only fried, it actually exploded when lightning came down the chimney, bounced off the steel hearthplate and entered the house wiring through nearby power outlet. Lots of appliances were taken out of commission that night.

We added a lightning-rated surge protector to the main breaker box.

skinny*k
Nov 17, 2012, 02:49 PM

A few years ago some tree-trimmers knocked out a powerline down the street, and that took out electronics all over the neighborhood, including my 20th Anniversary Mac, which was plugged into a power strip but not turned on. The tree-trimmers were a fly-by-night—unlicensed and uninsured—so everyone got stuck. :(

crazyxzer0
Nov 17, 2012, 04:43 PM
I never turn it off as in shut it down. I do close my lid to put it to sleep. I also changed the standby mode to 20minutes to save a little more battery. I do use my laptop everyday so battery drain during standby mode wasn't too big of a deal. :)

blesscheese
Nov 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
Rarely.

Some what off topic...

Genius did tell me when I saw them last week about Tethering issues not to leave her Plugged all the time or overnight. I use an External Monitor, which is why I do but now before I go to bed I unplugged her.

Re: the topic question, I rarely turn it off...which is kinda ridiculous, since it boots up so fast, but I have always just slept my 'books since my first one (PowerBook 5300, since you ask).

Re: the off-topic question, huh? As long as you run the battery down every week or two, leaving it plugged in won't harm the battery. My MBA is 3 years old now, and I still get over 3.5 hours of use with it, and it is plugged in *all* the time unless I am traveling, or running it down.

Note that unplugging it, running it down, and then recharging it on a daily basis will wear it more quickly than just charging it up as needed. The battery has about ?500? charge cycles of life, so you may run through it in 2 years. But, it is an easy fix.

----------

In an electrical storm, the current will flow down the past of least resistance...power cords, phone lines, ethernet cables, anything connected to anything that will conduct.

My sister (from the 3rd-world country of Westchester, NY) had a computer fried by a printer cable...the computer was plugged into a surge protector, but, the printer wasn't, so when the lightening hit both got toasted.

flynz4
Nov 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
My recommendation is to turn it off when traveling... and also enable File Vault 2. My understanding is that FV2 is much more secure from a cold start than from a "sleep" cycle.

I do this when my machine will be left unattended in my hotel room (even if it in the [insecure] in-room safe). This way... if my MBA is stollen... I only lose the machine... and not my identity.

/Jim

jetlagged
Nov 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
so the majority of people here seems liek they dont turn it off. but this topic kind of confuses me.

do you leave it on constantly or put it in sleep mode?

i have a dell laptop, and i usually put it on hibernate. can somebody shed some light.

glsillygili
Nov 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
I only turn it off to use Bootcamp.

same

littfam
Nov 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
No.

ET iPhone Home
Nov 17, 2012, 11:03 PM
I have in on Sleep when not in use. I may turn it OFF once every 3 weeks, otherwise it gets buggy.

kylera
Nov 21, 2012, 01:31 AM
I just shut down for Boot Camp, which is like, once a month or so, as well as OS updates. Other than that, lid down.

OnceYouGoMac
Nov 21, 2012, 06:30 AM
Yeah I turn mine off every night before I go to bed. I do the same with my Pro.

Lukewarmwinner
Nov 21, 2012, 06:36 AM
Why isn't there an option for "sleep"? I always let it sleep. Doing it with all my macs.

ChristianJapan
Nov 21, 2012, 06:54 AM
I turn it off since once I kept it in a bag and somehow the lid was open a bit. The MBA was running the whole time inside the bag, the fan run crazy and I felt sorry for the chips. It got really really hot.
Since then I tend to switch it of before putting into a bag. In other cases just sleep mode. Pure user error.

gnasher729
Nov 21, 2012, 07:24 AM

It absolutely is. Less nowadays, because the biggest problem was phone line connecting directly to the computer before the days of Broadband. The power supply on a modern Mac is designed to work between 100 Volt and 270 Volt, so it's quite resistant to power fluctuations - even more so in any Mac using batteries. But the power supply can also withstand a certain amount of abuse and will protect your Mac. Voltage coming in through other connectors is much more dangerous. Anyway, being in a developed country doesn't protect you at all.

----------

so the majority of people here seems liek they dont turn it off. but this topic kind of confuses me.

do you leave it on constantly or put it in sleep mode?

i have a dell laptop, and i usually put it on hibernate. can somebody shed some light.

You just close the lid.

The MacBook goes to sleep for about an hour. If you open the lid within that hour, it is ready immediately. Macbooks with SSD drives go into a "deep sleep" mode after that; all the memory is written to the SSD drive, then power is turned off. That way the Mac can stay asleep for 30 days. When you open the lid it takes a bit longer until the Mac is ready, because it has to read its memory back from SSD.

Macbooks with spinning drives don't do that because reading the memory back from disk would be too slow. However, when the Macbook detects that it is running out of battery power, it will then do the same thing. Waking up the Mac will take longer, but better than losing data because you ran out of power.

My recommendation is to turn it off when traveling... and also enable File Vault 2. My understanding is that FV2 is much more secure from a cold start than from a "sleep" cycle.

Filevault is always a good idea if your Mac contains sensitive information that you wouldn't want a thief to read. In that case you would also want to set up a password to enter when the Mac wakes up from sleep. Shutting down the MacBook with Filevault has the advantage that a hacker has to figure out two passwords (Mac password + Filevault password) to get to your data.

No sleep password: Thief can read your data.
Sleep password: Thief needs to figure out your login password.
Shutdown: Thief needs to figure out your login password plus your Filevault password.

jojoba
Nov 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
Yes, at the end of the day.

This. It's just an ingrained habit.

jabingla2810
Nov 22, 2012, 11:31 AM

LOL, thats absolutely mental.

camitampa
Nov 22, 2012, 05:21 PM

I live in Tampa, Florida and I have had plenty of lightning damage over the years. I actually had the verizon fios modem hit while the fios installer was here installing it. It took out my ethernet card and fried the fios modem.

I unplug June through September. I always unplug my MBA, but I just put it to sleep as it never goes more than two days without being used.

Beanoir
Nov 22, 2012, 05:36 PM
Congrats. I also never turn off my macs... I've had uptimes of months and the speed was just the same as always, so it really bugs me to see that some people do turn their macbooks off every day. It feels weird, but no matter what you say, they still do it. If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard :confused:

Isn't that a bit harsh if people turn their mac off then surely thats up to them...after all Apple put a on/off button on them for a reason eh?

Jason99kr
Nov 23, 2012, 05:30 AM
I turn off my laptop whenever I feel like it or there's update :D

nightlong
Nov 23, 2012, 05:45 AM
I turn mine off when I'm travelling so it's not cooking inside a bag in my car. If I'm working at home I leave it on, often for several days. I live on a farm where there's a lot of granite and we get lightning strikes that split massive pine trees in half, and can melt so-called lightning protection boards into Dali-like surreal shapes. And so I never leave anything computerish plugged in when I'm not here in case a storm strikes in my absence.

I've heard that turning things off regularly shortens their life, but a direct lightning hit shortens it instantly!

krravi
Dec 10, 2012, 12:14 AM

Lost 4 computers due to a storm. Now run them via the UPS. And ... In the US.

Skoopman
Dec 10, 2012, 06:29 AM

Where is the downvote button when you need it.. Apparently you have no clue about how electricity works. It doesn't matter if you sit in a 7 star hotel in Dubai or in a small village in Africa, you can fry your equipment anywhere in the world due to a storm, lightning, bad cables, whatever. Every normal person should have a UPS for valuable electronics.

Abazigal
Dec 10, 2012, 07:15 AM
Leave my on 24/7. Don't see the need to switch it off, since standby consumes virtually no power, and the allure of instant-on is way too addictive. :)

BlakeBrattina
Dec 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
I usually turn mine off pretty frequently actually. Given I have two laptops, one that stays at home (MBP) which I turn off after most use, I carry the MBA around to work etc and turn it off throughout the day if I am not using. I'm starting to keep it on more and more however, since things pop up often during a home buying process, I tend to check my e-mail and do all of my important business on a non-work computer.

bjm2660
Dec 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
What about accidentally running the battery down?