PDA

View Full Version : MBA having random hangup issues

Shnur
Nov 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
I've had some issues with my 13' 2012 MBA, it sometimes shuts off when I put it on a book (probably something short circuits when light pressure is applied on the base).
When I transport it, it sometimes looses battery connection and when I open it the recovery of session starts (greyed screen with little progress bar).
Yesterday, I was fighting with the WiFi, it wouldn't connect to my iPhone tethering option nor the café's wifi; the wifi bar said it could connect, but no Internet. Then as soon as I would press something in the system preferences in the WiFi section, the whole thing would freeze and I needed to Force Quit system preferences. After 2-3 reboots I finally got around to it working, but the status bar wouldn't correspond to the system preference section.

Now I haven't taken an appointment with Apple yet because the only store in my city is overbooked on Mac Geniuses.

Now I wanted to ask you guys if any of you had similar issues?
Also; if ever I need to replace it, is it possible to upgrade to the rMBP 13" (my original plan but only the 15" were announced) in store?

jmgregory1
Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
I've had some issues with my 13' 2012 MBA, it sometimes shuts off when I put it on a book (probably something short circuits when light pressure is applied on the base).
When I transport it, it sometimes looses battery connection and when I open it the recovery of session starts (greyed screen with little progress bar).
Yesterday, I was fighting with the WiFi, it wouldn't connect to my iPhone tethering option nor the café's wifi; the wifi bar said it could connect, but no Internet. Then as soon as I would press something in the system preferences in the WiFi section, the whole thing would freeze and I needed to Force Quit system preferences. After 2-3 reboots I finally got around to it working, but the status bar wouldn't correspond to the system preference section.

Now I haven't taken an appointment with Apple yet because the only store in my city is overbooked on Mac Geniuses.

Now I wanted to ask you guys if any of you had similar issues?
Also; if ever I need to replace it, is it possible to upgrade to the rMBP 13" (my original plan but only the 15" were announced) in store?

Call Apple so that you have at least alerted them to the problems you're facing. And then make the appt to see a "genius" at the store. Chances are pretty good that you'll get a replacement unit. They're not going to offer you an rMBP 13" though, so don't expect that.

You are definitely experiencing something that is NOT normal. For me, I have zero desire to get a 13" rMBP. I love my '11 13" mba and can't see going heavier just for a better screen - I'm not a game or movie watcher on my mba, so there is little pushing me to upgrade just for more pixels.