PDA

View Full Version : Droid DNA

vmachiel
Nov 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
Just announced by HTC:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/htc-droid-dna-verizon/

Looks amazing, all the right specs and a 10-frikin-80p display:) To bad about verizon though, but still I want one:) What do you guys think?

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
I think my iPhone 5 might be for sale in about a week. I really hate Android's lack of updates on their phones and carrier bloatware but this just looks too good to pass up. I may have to just deal with it!

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
It's Verizon. Battery life will likely be terrible. S4 has thermal throttling issues, and 1080P may be superfluous. I'm interested to see how much better the screen looks in comparison to current offerings, though.

Oh, and Sense. HTC needs to stop with Sense, it bogs down their phones.

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
BTW, Slashgear says you can put an AT&T SIM card in it, you just wont have LTE

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
It's Verizon. Battery life will likely be terrible

from an Android forum

"I'm at the press conference now, and they have a few phones running full video and after 2 hours battery is showing 94% remaining. They said battery should last more then a day for even power users. Also was given one to keep S will be testing that out over te next couple of days. This phone in person is amazing. The pictures don't do it justice. So thin and light."

MacRumorUser
Nov 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
A shame this wont come to Europe. Very nice looking device.

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Some hands on reports from the press conference. Cant wait to get this thing!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/htc-droid-dna-hands-on/

http://www.slashgear.com/droid-dna-by-htc-hands-on-13256800/

Technarchy
Nov 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
I hope HTC finally scores a hit. They need it badly. Maybe cross licensing with Apple will give them a bump as well.

doomfront
Nov 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Anyone want to explain to me how this is available before the Note 2?

Also I had planned on getting this before I saw the Note 2 and still had a little chance of getting it. But small battery and no sd slot is a deal breaker. Sucks because I really like HTC

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
Anyone want to explain to me how this is available before the Note 2?

Also I had planned on getting this before I saw the Note 2 and still had a little chance of getting it. But small battery and no sd slot is a deal breaker. Sucks because I really like HTC

Battery may not be an issue. Read what I posted a few posts ago. Its available before the Note 2 because the Droid line is Verizon's baby. While still having a 5 inch display, its still smaller, thinner and lighter than the Note 2 and the display isn't even a contest, plus its $100 cheaper than the Note 2. I think Verizon fully expects it to sell better than the Note, so they want it out ASAP.

scott craft
Nov 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
The DNA looks like a really sweet phone. I don't understand why HTC insists on limiting most of their new phones to 16gb of storage with no sd card. The DNA would really be great for movies and videos, but only 16gb is somewhat limiting.

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
The DNA looks like a really sweet phone. I don't understand why HTC insists on limiting most of their new phones to 16gb of storage with no sd card. The DNA would really be great for movies and videos, but only 16gb is somewhat limiting.

Most people stream movies these days and most people arent walking around with 15 HD movies on their cell phones. I am sure HTC's R&D team have done their work. The new Nexus 4 doesnt have an SD card slot either and only offers 8 and 16GB of storage. Everything is moving cloud based.

scott craft
Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Most people stream movies these days and most people arent walking around with 15 HD movies on their cell phones. I am sure HTC's R&D team have done their work. The new Nexus 4 doesnt have an SD card slot either and only offers 8 and 16GB of storage. Everything is moving cloud based.

You're right, 16 is probably enough, I know my last two phones have been 16GB, but I would like the option of an sd card. I would probably get this phone over the Note 2 because I prefer Sense over Touchwiz and HTC phones generally do better on reception than those from Samsung.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
from an Android forum

"I'm at the press conference now, and they have a few phones running full video and after 2 hours battery is showing 94% remaining. They said battery should last more then a day for even power users. Also was given one to keep S will be testing that out over te next couple of days. This phone in person is amazing. The pictures don't do it justice. So thin and light."

It's actually not thin at all, lol. I'll wait for the reviews for battery life reports

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
More hands on reports!

http://gizmodo.com/5960045/the-droid-dna-is-basically-htc-going-all+in

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/13/hands-on-with-the-htc-droid-dna-verizons-first-1080p-android-smartphone/

----------

It's actually not thin at all, lol. I'll wait for the reviews for battery life reports

Its about the same thickness as the Galaxy S3. I also consider that pretty thin.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/185705i52k76ojpg/xlarge.jpg

Look at the text next to the iphone 5, wow :eek:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1856zmrci11sqjpg/xlarge.jpg

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
More hands on reports!

http://gizmodo.com/5960045/the-droid-dna-is-basically-htc-going-all+in

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/13/hands-on-with-the-htc-droid-dna-verizons-first-1080p-android-smartphone/

----------

Its about the same thickness as the Galaxy S3. I also consider that pretty thin.

Image (http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/185705i52k76ojpg/xlarge.jpg)

Look at the text next to the iphone 5, wow :eek:

Image (http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1856zmrci11sqjpg/xlarge.jpg)

It's 9.8 mm thick, that's not very thin. There mixed reports about its size and feel in hand.

scott craft
Nov 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
It's 9.8 mm thick, that's not very thin. There mixed reports about its size and feel in hand.

I know I haven't held every smartphone out there, but 9.8mm is thinner than the phone I'm currently using. To me if anything would make awkward to hold it would be the screen size not the thickness of the phone. To each his own though.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
I know I haven't held every smartphone out there, but 9.8mm is thinner than the phone I'm currently using. To me if anything would make awkward to hold it would be the screen size not the thickness of the phone. To each his own though.

It looks really tapered, though, which is good for ergonomics.

scott craft
Nov 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
It looks really tapered, though, which is good for ergonomics.

It looks like the same form factor as the HTC 8X. If that was a windows phone I would most likely get it.

Tarzanman
Nov 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm a Nexus fan, but that thing looks absolutely sick. I'll believe good battery life when I see it.

hallaisen
Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
This phone looks unreal. Based on history, is it likely that it will remain exclusive to Verizon forever? Is there any chance of an international version?

Ericcc
Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
This phone looks unreal. Based on history, is it likely that it will remain exclusive to Verizon forever? Is there any chance of an international version?

HTC says the model won't be, but that screen (and most likely the S4 Pro innards) will be. In Japan, it's known as the Butterfly J.

hallaisen
Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
From the comments section of a DNA article on an android news site:

NightAngel79 Mod poosh2010 • in 4 months −
The battery life is amazing so far IMO. I've had this phone since Saturday morning putting it through its paces
4 •Reply•Share ›

NightAngel79 Mod jbo1018 • in 4 months −
Easily can make it past a day without charging
2 •Reply•Share ›

NightAngel79 Mod poosh2010 • in 4 months −
Battery life is amazing so far, Been playing with this phone for 4 days and been blown away by how well the battery lasts
1 •Reply•Share ›

Battery life is a non-factor honestly. I would have preferred SD slot or a 32gig model but meh... we'll see.

I will have to change up the way I store stuff but for me the positives FAR outweigh the negatives. This phone is AMAZING

NightAngel79 Mod nightscout13 • in 4 months −
I know I've said it a bunch but seriously, battery life is phenomenal
0 •Reply•Share ›

NightAngel79 Mod WoodyGrape • in 4 months −
I actually really love the power button placement. Very easy to use
0 •Reply•Share ›

hallaisen
Nov 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
review on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1989698)

On battery:
"At 2020 mAh, the battery seems a bit lacking for a 5 1080p monster like the DROID DNA. Initially I was worried about its performance, but I've found it to be pretty respectable. Currently I'm at 42% battery left with 1d1h13m on the clock, Screen On for 1h33m, and Voice Calls for 30m. I'm guessing this is going to clock in right around 3 hours or so of Screen On time (with automatic brightness). "

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
review on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1989698)

On battery:
"At 2020 mAh, the battery seems a bit lacking for a 5 1080p monster like the DROID DNA. Initially I was worried about its performance, but I've found it to be pretty respectable. Currently I'm at 42% battery left with 1d1h13m on the clock, Screen On for 1h33m, and Voice Calls for 30m. I'm guessing this is going to clock in right around 3 hours or so of Screen On time (with automatic brightness). "

3 hours of screen on time? That's awful. My iPhone 5 gets around 7 on Wi-Fi and LTE.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
It's amazing. When apple led everyone in screen PPI that was the golden nugget to hang over everyone's head why the iPhone was superior. Now they don't, so anything better than apple is the point of lost returns. Apple ups the screen a whopping .5 inches in size but makes the phone extremely thin and light (something people weren't complaining about with the 4/4S. ie...that it was too heavy and clunky) now everything thicker then 7.6mm is chunky. The lumia 920 is too heavy at 180grams, OMG then put it in your purse Roger. It's amazing how everyone's priorities change once Apple tells them what they should be.

Xtal
Nov 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
It's clear that most high end phones will be 1080p by this time next year.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
It's clear that most high end phones will be 1080p by this time next year.

Does this mean apple is gonna have to ditch the thumb commercial?

Xtal
Nov 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
I wonder if Apple will do another 2x bump in resolution for the iPhone 6? They could go with either:

2272x1280 (2x iP5, 16:9 aspect) or
1920x1280 (2x iP4, 3:2)

F123D
Nov 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
This phone looks sweet. To bad its a Verizon exclusive. Also, whats with these super smartphones and only 16GB?

Xtal
Nov 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
This phone looks sweet. To bad its a Verizon exclusive. Also, whats with these super smartphones and only 16GB?

Onboard storage is obsolete. Phones are becoming an extension of the cloud (and will become far more useful for that reason).

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Onboard storage is obsolete. Phones are becoming an extension of the cloud (and will become far more useful for that reason).

Many people with large amounts of music don't want to consume their data plans streaming it, they also don't want 6gb of music consuming half the available storage space. They also don't want to have to walk around with another device. Shove your music on a microSD and it's off the device, no worries.

F123D
Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM

Great if you have truly unlimited data. If you have a capped or throttled plan, not as useful.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
I wonder if Apple will do another 2x bump in resolution for the iPhone 6? They could go with either:

No. Not in a million years for the iPhone 6. Maybe the 10.

RetepNamenots
Nov 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
3 hours of screen on time? That's awful. My iPhone 5 gets around 7 on Wi-Fi and LTE.

Your iPhone 5 also has fewer than half the number of pixels (727,040 in the iPhone 5 vs 2,073,600 in the HTC).

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
Your iPhone 5 also has fewer than half the number of pixels (727,040 in the iPhone 5 vs 2,073,600 in the HTC).

So? People want good battery life, period.

PDFierro
Nov 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
If only this had a respectable battery.

Stropaganda
Nov 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
If this phone has respectable battery life, I will probably upgrade my Galaxy Nexus to this. I am sick and tired of my old, tired battery giving out on me and this is a pretty sweet phone from first impressions. I will have to wait and see for the reviews to come pouring in.

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Gizmodo found it has lower brightness, worse colors, and the crazy PPI is hardly noticeable. In fact, they said the One X and iPhone 5 have better-looking displays. Sigh.

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 05:59 PM

What magical iPhone 5 do you have? I am lucky to get 5 hours screen time on mine before I hit 20%. Its usually closer to 4 hours.

----------

Gizmodo found it has lower brightness, worse colors, and the crazy PPI is hardly noticeable. In fact, they said the One X and iPhone 5 have better-looking displays. Sigh.

...and you trust Gizmodo? Everyone else is about ready to mess their pants over the screen and the shot of the DNA next to the iPhone 5 was nice. Anyone with eyes can clearly see the text is cleaner and sharper on the DNA.

Zwhaler
Nov 13, 2012, 06:27 PM

More about music for me. Just under 50GB music I want on my phone, so it's SD slot or no go for me.

----------

So? People want good battery life, period.

True that. Good phones in this category won't be available for a little longer.

nick_elt
Nov 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
Sure is got a nice screen, doesn't compete with the note in anything else.

----------

No it's not. And that's why this will fail.

Xtal
Nov 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
More about music for me. Just under 50GB music I want on my phone, so it's SD slot or no go for me.

It would be cool if we could put music on a small device like a marble or ring that would stream it wirelessly from your pocket to the phone (or directly to headphones) via NFC or bluetooth. When you get home you put the marble in a dimple on your home stereo.

nick_elt
Nov 13, 2012, 06:40 PM

You can throw the 3:2 away. It's dead. Not gonna go back.

----------

It would be cool if we could put music on a small device like a marble or ring that would stream it wirelessly from your pocket to the phone (or directly to headphones) via NFC or bluetooth. When you get home you put the marble in a dimple on your home stereo.

Or you could just leave it on your androids sd card and use Bluetooth. Why do I want to carry around a marble or a ring when I'm already carrying my phone? ???

zbarvian
Nov 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
What magical iPhone 5 do you have? I am lucky to get 5 hours screen time on mine before I hit 20%. Its usually closer to 4 hours.

----------

...and you trust Gizmodo? Everyone else is about ready to mess their pants over the screen and the shot of the DNA next to the iPhone 5 was nice. Anyone with eyes can clearly see the text is cleaner and sharper on the DNA.

Just an iPhone 5...go look at the battery life thread, this is normal.

And yeah I trust Gizmodo. The macro shots obviously looked better but that doesn't matter, all that matters is how it looks to the naked eye.

Technarchy
Nov 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Great if you have truly unlimited data. If you have a capped or throttled plan, not as useful.

Agreed. Large Cloud storage requires a large data pool. Not happening on Verizon or AT&T.

Akash.B
Nov 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
Do you think carriers are the ones that limit the storage, and not HTC? It would make sense since they want you to use streaming

michaeljohn
Nov 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
I am just amazed that some people carry around their entire music and movie catalog on their phones, or so it seems. Someone mentioned earlier 6GB of music, that's insane. I have around 30 artists and at least a few hundred songs on my iPhone and its 2GB. 16GB is more than enough for most peoples needs. What do these people who feel the need to put all their multimedia on their cell phone do? Crazy

Zwhaler
Nov 13, 2012, 08:12 PM

Meh why not just use the cloud then. I still prefer internal or SD storage.

Apollo 13
Nov 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.

hallaisen
Nov 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Noob alert:

Will it be possible to buy this outright In the US and use it in Australia or Europe with gsm carriers?

Xtal
Nov 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.

As far as I'm concerned wanting better or more future-proof phone hardware (screen resolution, battery life, wireless performance) is thinking forwards, not backwards.

hallaisen
Nov 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
From Verizon's dna website:

CDMA1x/EV-DO Rev A, LTE/DO Rx diversity

Global Network: GSM (850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz), UMTS (850MHz, 900MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz)

Since it has GSM connectivity, can it be used with 3G on European and Australian networks?

Would it be hard to get this unlocked from Verizon's network?

Apollo 13
Nov 14, 2012, 03:29 AM
As far as I'm concerned wanting better or more future-proof phone hardware (screen resolution, battery life, wireless performance) is thinking forwards, not backwards.

True...I like the phone and actually thinking of getting it, but I won't go in expecting to see a difference between a One X or iPhone 5 screen. All I need is a lot more reviews on the battery life.

michaeljohn
Nov 14, 2012, 04:09 AM

Why do so many people make such a big deal about the iPad mini display compared to the competition? They are only 2 inches bigger screens.

Technarchy
Nov 14, 2012, 04:10 AM

With Apple's current screen size? You'd need a magnifying glass to see anything.

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
For a 5 inch phone, it really doesn't look very big:

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/71363-thumb/xlarge-jpg.jpg

Don't know if I trust that 2500 mah battery especially when the display is pushing so many pixels. Looks gorgeous though.

tbayrgs
Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
I am just amazed that some people carry around their entire music and movie catalog on their phones, or so it seems. Someone mentioned earlier 6GB of music, that's insane. I have around 30 artists and at least a few hundred songs on my iPhone and its 2GB. 16GB is more than enough for most peoples needs. What do these people who feel the need to put all their multimedia on their cell phone do? Crazy

I am just amazed that some people think the way they do things it the only correct way to do things. What do these people who feel the world revolves around them do? Crazy

Xtal
Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
With Apple's current screen size? You'd need a magnifying glass to see anything.

The whole point of the Retina display, which was a 2x jump in resolution from the 3GS, was that text and UI elements remain the same size but are rendered with 4x the pixels (2x more in horizontal and vertical direction), increasing the sharpness of fonts and graphics. It would make it easier to see things, not harder.

nickchallis92
Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
that little blue bar at the bottom of safari looks so tacky

cuzo
Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
For a 5 inch phone, it really doesn't look very big:

Image (http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/71363-thumb/xlarge-jpg.jpg)

Don't know if I trust that 2500 mah battery especially when the display is pushing so many pixels. Looks gorgeous though.

which one is it?:confused:

Xtal
Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 PM

It's the middle one (it's 5" so it should be the largest). Galaxy S3 is on the right, iPhone 5 on the left. Not sure about the others.

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 12:23 PM

From left to right: iPhone 5, Nexus 4, DNA, HTC One X, and S3.

smellysox8
Nov 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sure you do.

GroundLoop
Nov 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
Well, I just preordered my Droid DNA. Should receive it on the 21st. Pretty excited to see what it can do.

GL

bad03xtreme
Nov 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Can the DNA of any Android phone for that matter play music or photos through my Apple tv? That is one of the main reasons I am getting an iPhone.

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
The Droid DNA's screen is overkill I think. "Retina" is already past the threshold that our eyes can distinguish individual pixels so to human eyes, there is no discernible difference in clarity between iPhone 4+ and Droid DNA. While it is better because it can display a pixel to pixel ratio of 1 for 1080P HD content, our eyes can't tell the difference.

As for the internal hardware, Qualcomm's S4 SoC chip has some thermal throttling issues as evidenced by the Nexus 4. AnandTech's benchmarks show that the Nexus 4's S4 performs very poorly against iPhone 5's A6 and barely outperforms iPhone 4S. Graphics will struggle since there are so many pixels to push and the graphics chip itself is not as good as iPhone 5. Battery life is also a concern. This is documented by AnandTech's review of the Nexus 4.

I think HTC's Droid DNA phone is THE Android phone to get right now. The only other one would be Nexus 4. But iPhone 5 is still the best phone overall with the best balance of everything from software to hardware to build quality and etc. The "tradeoffs" of not having a 1080P display is really moot since 1080P content on iPhone 5 shows no pixelation anyway. That said, I really do think HTC made one of the best Android phones considering hardware, software and design.

----------

Can the DNA of any Android phone for that matter play music or photos through my Apple tv? That is one of the main reasons I am getting an iPhone.

Try doubleTwist (http://doubletwist.com/). Not as elegant or easy to use or implementation OS-wide as on an iPhone but it works.

OceanView
Nov 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
What's the point of a 1080p screen if you can only have 16GB memory and no expandable micro SD slot?
I don't get the benefits? :confused:

Xtal
Nov 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
What's the point of a 1080p screen if you can only have 16GB memory and no expandable micro SD slot?
I don't get the benefits? :confused:

I don't understand your post. The benefits of a 1080p screen would be felt throughout the UI experience.

----------

The Droid DNA's screen is overkill I think. "Retina" is already past the threshold that our eyes can distinguish individual pixels so to human eyes, there is no discernible difference in clarity between iPhone 4+ and Droid DNA.

The notion that Apple's retina display has the maximum discernible resolution of the human eye is false and nothing more than Apple marketing. You would need a 900 ppi screen to actually reach the limit of human visual acuity. The Droid DNA with its 440 ppi screen is less than half way there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
I don't understand your post. The benefits of a 1080p screen would be felt throughout the UI experience.

----------

The notion that Apple's retina display has the maximum discernible resolution of the human eye is false and nothing more than Apple marketing. You would need a 900 ppi screen to actually reach the limit of human visual acuity. The Droid DNA with its 440 ppi screen is less than half way there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

Really interesting article. Apple marketing for the win.

zbarvian
Nov 14, 2012, 01:51 PM
Really interesting article. Apple marketing for the win.

To be honest it seems that nobody really knows what "Retina" is. All I care about, and what others should care about is how these super high resolution panels look in comparison to current offerings.

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
To be honest it seems that nobody really knows what "Retina" is. All I care about, and what others should care about is how these super high resolution panels look in comparison to current offerings.

Read the article. It explains what true retina means.

zbarvian
Nov 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Read the article. It explains what true retina means.

I did, but there's no definitive PPI that is Retina. Experts have differing opinions.

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
I did, but there's no definitive PPI that is Retina. Experts have differing opinions.

Ah I see.

I agree that displays just look great overall nowadays.

cynics
Nov 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
I can't see pixels 200 PPI and better no matter the distance from my eyes. However screens with more generally look better over all.

coldmack
Nov 14, 2012, 02:44 PM
From Verizon's dna website:

Global Network: GSM (850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz), UMTS (850MHz, 900MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz)

Since it has GSM connectivity, can it be used with 3G on European and Australian networks?

Would it be hard to get this unlocked from Verizon's network?

I dunno about unlocked but yes you can use it on the same gsm bands as AT&T and maybe even T-Mobile. My friend has a HTC Rezound, and he was able with an app he downloaded from the market to switch to GSM bands from LTE, and a patch he installed(to get SMS texting(sending as receiving was natively) to full work. Tested it out on T-Mobile USA with HSDPA, and then on 3 UK and Orange Ireland fully working. It was natively unlocked, I would think the DNA maybe the same since the Rezound is too?

Akash.B
Nov 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
While I absolutely love this phone, isn't 1080p reaching a point of diminishing returns? What I'm more worried about is that not nearly enough apps are optimized for a high resolution (besides text) and I want to wait until the software is completely up to sync with hardware. Same thing with Nexus 10

kat.hayes
Nov 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
My concern with this phone is the limited storage. With 16GB, some of that is taken by the OS and some by the apps downloaded. Forget putting music and videos on it, how many photos and HD videos that you shoot would it be able to hold?

Xtal
Nov 14, 2012, 06:43 PM
My concern with this phone is the limited storage. With 16GB, some of that is taken by the OS and some by the apps downloaded. Forget putting music and videos on it, how many photos and HD videos that you shoot would it be able to hold?

I read in the Nexus 4 review that it records 1080p video at an encoding rate of 12 Mbps which is 1.5 MB/s. Thus for each gigabyte of space (1024 MB) you can record 683 seconds or around 11 minutes of video. Each hour of video would take about 5.3 GB. This could be significantly extended by reducing the recording resolution to 720p or lower.

An 8 megapixel compressed JPEG takes between 1-2 MB of space depending on quality settings and the visual complexity of the photo. Thus each GB can store 500-1000 photos.

If you mainly use the storage for taking video and photos 16 GB should be enough for anyone (even 8 GB would be manageable). The problem comes when you want to store massive amounts of music or films on the phone.

UseYourIllusion
Nov 14, 2012, 07:21 PM

My personal music collection is all high quality/cd quality downloads and rips. However since I was using the One X I really only use Spotify and stream from Google Music now and it works for me. I luckily do have unlimited data though, when I had an iPhone it was always 32gb/64gb and I carried most of my music on my device. My music collection is well over 100gb, I obviously don't need all of it but I like to carry a nice chunk because I mainly just hit shuffle and let it go.

I frequently flashed ROMs and made backups on my One X and that's where the low storage was becoming a pain. I had to manage what was on my device pretty frequently. Now that I have a Note 2 though I stuck in a 16gb card that I had laying around and it's been wonderful to have more storage again. I'm gonna pick up a 32gb card now so I can load more music and download some games now that I have the space for it.

Palm Pimp
Nov 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Getting this phone next week. :)

Stropaganda
Nov 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
So it looks like the battery life is average based on the early reviews. So the only downsides to the phone are no removable battery or storage, 16GB memory, and HTC Sense.

I think I'll wait for it to get rooted and developers to flash a stock ROM on it before even thinking about buying it. It will be a beast of a phone.

bad03xtreme
Nov 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
I have never had a smartphone and am looking to buy my first. I was ready to buy a new iPhone 5 but the backorders have kept me from getting one yet. Would this DNA be a better option, I recently found out that my 1st gen tv can't do airplay like I thought and that was a main reason I was looking at the iPhone.

stanw
Nov 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
I have never had a smartphone and am looking to buy my first. I was ready to buy a new iPhone 5 but the backorders have kept me from getting one yet. Would this DNA be a better option, I recently found out that my 1st gen tv can't play do airplay like I thought so that was a main reason I was looking at the iPhone.

There are a couple different apps that will allow you to use an Android with an AppleTV for Airplay. I can't remember which right now though.

onthecouchagain
Nov 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
Oh god, just when you thought HTC couldn't find a worse spot for the sleep/wake button, they decided to put it at the top center of the device. The sleep/wake button at the top right is already hard enough to reach for large devices.

I don't get the rationale behind centering it, making it even harder.

The Verge quotes it best:

Power / sleep / unlock buttons have always been hit or miss on HTC’s smartphones — the Windows Phone 8X’s power button is nearly unusable, and I’m not a fan of the placement of the button on the One X — but the location of the Droid DNA’s is a new low. Or a new high, if you will, since it’s located in the middle of the top edge of the phone, which might be the most awkward place it could be on a phone of this size. There is no easy way to press the button without shifting the phone in your hand and assuming a ridiculous claw grip with your index finger on top of the device. Somebody really needs to tell HTC’s designers that power buttons work best on the side when phones have 4.3-inch or larger displays. Motorola, Samsung, and LG have all figured this out, so it’s time that HTC got on board.

I've been saying this for ages about the HTC One X.

zbarvian
Nov 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Verge only gave it a 7.7.

Bad battery life and performance hiccups, as predicted.

Ericcc
Nov 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
Here's what Gizmodo had to say about the battery. Real-life use instead of a auto battery test. Not a ringing endorsement, but very different than from what the Verge reports.

That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S III.

bad03xtreme
Nov 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
Damn, now I don't know if I should get this or an iPhone 5 as my first ever smartphone... :confused:

Xtal
Nov 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Damn, now I don't know if I should get this or an iPhone 5 as my first ever smartphone... :confused:

You should consider the Nexus 4. It is currently in short supply but you should be able to order one in a few weeks.

bad03xtreme
Nov 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
You should consider the Nexus 4. It is currently in short supply but you should be able to order one in a few weeks.
That phone doesn't have 4G capabilities though does it?

F123D
Nov 16, 2012, 02:53 PM

An iPhone might be a a good phone for someone who's never used a smartphone since it's pretty simple to use. If you like options and features and the ability to customise your device, nexus 4 would be a good choice.

----------

That phone doesn't have 4G capabilities though does it?

No 4G LTE, just hspa+.

bad03xtreme
Nov 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
I am on Verizon in the Washington DC area so we have decent 4G coverage. I always liked the iPhone I just hate to get stuck with a small screen.

Xtal
Nov 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
I am on Verizon in the Washington DC area so we have decent 4G coverage. I always liked the iPhone I just hate to get stuck with a small screen.

If you want an easy to use phone with a large screen and LTE you should consider the Lumia 920 which uses the Windows Phone 8 OS. It might have fewer advanced features and options compared to Android, but the user experience is very slick.

michaeljohn
Nov 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Went to play with this phone the morning it came out on Wednesday and was very disappointed. I was prepared to return my iPhone 5 and get the DNA but I didn't. The display is amazing, its a great sized phone and its lighter than I expected. However, the problem was (as it always is with Android) Sense and Android apps. I will preface this by saying this was a brand new DNA. It had only been set up for 10 minutes and the employees had only tested a few pics they took. So it wasn't like someone had abused the demo model already. Whenever I went to the camera or into any app and then hit the home button, there was a good 2 second lag. I could see the home screen but it was frozen and then would come to life a few seconds later and would work just fine. That could have been the weather animation on the home screen, but I didn't like it.

Then there were the apps. I logged into Facebook and right away my newsfeed appeared but scrolling was painfully slow, even after everything loaded up, it was just slow and lagged all over the place. Opening a photo lagged, trying to comment a pic lagged, even liking a pic lagged. Not good. Pulled my iPhone 5 out to see if it was a network issue maybe but nope, my iPhone scrolled wonderfully as usual with not a hint of lag. Same thing with the NFL Fantasy app. Lagged horribly just on the homepage. I didn't even bother going into my match ups.

Next I downloaded speedtest on the DNA and gave it a run. While it got a respectable 12Mbps down and 4Mbps up, the test on my iPhone 5 at the same time showed a 22Mbps down and 7Mbps up. Same network, same LTE, same building and same server from Speedtest. I wasn't too surprised by this as I tried a few weeks ago with the Galaxy S3, Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD in the same store and my iPhone 5 was constantly 8-10Mbps faster down and a good 2-3 faster up. Granted, when I opened websites at the same time on both phones, my iPhone was only a second or two faster loading them but I expect MUCH more from a powerhouse quad core processor like the S4 Pro, it should have been faster than my iPhone but it wasn't. Pretty sad because I had high hopes for this phone, oh well.

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Went to play with this phone the morning it came out on Wednesday and was very disappointed. I was prepared to return my iPhone 5 and get the DNA but I didn't. The display is amazing, its a great sized phone and its lighter than I expected. However, the problem was (as it always is with Android) Sense and Android apps. I will preface this by saying this was a brand new DNA. It had only been set up for 10 minutes and the employees had only tested a few pics they took. So it wasn't like someone had abused the demo model already. Whenever I went to the camera or into any app and then hit the home button, there was a good 2 second lag. I could see the home screen but it was frozen and then would come to life a few seconds later and would work just fine. That could have been the weather animation on the home screen, but I didn't like it.

Then there were the apps. I logged into Facebook and right away my newsfeed appeared but scrolling was painfully slow, even after everything loaded up, it was just slow and lagged all over the place. Opening a photo lagged, trying to comment a pic lagged, even liking a pic lagged. Not good. Pulled my iPhone 5 out to see if it was a network issue maybe but nope, my iPhone scrolled wonderfully as usual with not a hint of lag. Same thing with the NFL Fantasy app. Lagged horribly just on the homepage. I didn't even bother going into my match ups.

Next I downloaded speedtest on the DNA and gave it a run. While it got a respectable 12Mbps down and 4Mbps up, the test on my iPhone 5 at the same time showed a 22Mbps down and 7Mbps up. Same network, same LTE, same building and same server from Speedtest. I wasn't too surprised by this as I tried a few weeks ago with the Galaxy S3, Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD in the same store and my iPhone 5 was constantly 8-10Mbps faster down and a good 2-3 faster up. Granted, when I opened websites at the same time on both phones, my iPhone was only a second or two faster loading them but I expect MUCH more from a powerhouse quad core processor like the S4 Pro, it should have been faster than my iPhone but it wasn't. Pretty sad because I had high hopes for this phone, oh well.

That's sense for you....stock android FTW. Sorry the DNA didn't work out for you.

Explicitic
Nov 23, 2012, 03:16 PM

Something must have been terribly wrong with that device. Facebook shouldn't lag on a device like that. It runs perfectly smooth on my year old Captivate so it's pretty weird that an app like Facebook would lag on a device like the DNA.

GroundLoop
Nov 24, 2012, 04:12 AM

Sorry to hear that your experience with the DNA went so poorly. I have owned one since launch day and haven't seen any of the issues that you are seeing. My wife owns an iPhone 5 and, when I do the speed test on both phones, they are comparable (as they should be ). And I have not experienced any of the lag issues that you have witnessed. I guess Verizon does something weird to phones when they are put into demonstration mode for store use.

GL

mikegasol
Nov 29, 2012, 03:42 AM
just got this phone today I'm actually on it right now and this thing is a beast! Getting over 8000 in Quadrantand close to 1900 in Geekbench. Its blazing fast and the displayis just awesome, even better than the iPhone 5 that I had. Perfect size for me as the Note 2 was a bit too large and oddly shaped. Great phone to check out if you are on Verizon.

THE JUICEMAN
Dec 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
just got this phone today I'm actually on it right now and this thing is a beast! Getting over 8000 in Quadrantand close to 1900 in Geekbench. Its blazing fast and the displayis just awesome, even better than the iPhone 5 that I had. Perfect size for me as the Note 2 was a bit too large and oddly shaped. Great phone to check out if you are on Verizon.

Glad to hear you like it! I just returned my nexus 4 and previously returned 3 different iPhones (don't ask) lol. Any battery life impressions yet?

Xtal
Dec 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
Why did you return your nexus 4? I got mine a bit more than a week ago and it's beyond awesome.

THE JUICEMAN
Dec 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
Why did you return your nexus 4? I got mine a bit more than a week ago and it's beyond awesome.

Well. The buzzing in the ear piece. I had two different nexus 4's and they both had it. The touch sensitivity issue. I kind of want LTE? Lol the plastic buttons bothered me and were kind of cheap and creaky the charger buzzes. Also I just wanted to try the DNA. ;-)

Edit: oh and I really want bestbuy insurance. $9.99 a month. No deductible. No limit on replacements.

tech4all
Dec 11, 2012, 01:04 AM

If you, or anyone, thinks 9.8mm is 'thick,' you need a reality check. Phone geeks really split hairs when it comes to see who has better phone when the difference are so "who the **** cares?"

THE JUICEMAN
Dec 11, 2012, 05:25 AM
But it's tapered at the ends. Down to around 4mm if I remember correctly. It's a nice trick.

GroundLoop
Dec 11, 2012, 07:20 AM
If you, or anyone, thinks 9.8mm is 'thick,' you need a reality check. Phone geeks really split hairs when it comes to see who has better phone when the difference are so "who the **** cares?"

Agreed. In fact, I think that all phones are getting TOO THIN. I am buying "bulky" cases so that I feel comfortable holding them. Now, I am 6'5" and have big hands, so that may be the basis of my rant.

GL

zbarvian
Dec 11, 2012, 08:40 AM

It's thicker than my iPhone 4 was, and that was 2 and a half years ago. Devices and technology almost always get thinner; I'm sure some were saying the 3GS was perfect and that the 4 was too thin, but now our standards for thickness are much higher (or lower, if you will).