PDA

View Full Version : Jawbone Releases Updated UP Wristband

MacRumors
Nov 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/13/jawbone-releases-updated-up-wristband/)

Last year, Bluetooth headset and speaker manufacturer released the UP wristband (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/03/jawbones-up-wristband-tracks-activity-movement-and-sleep/) to much critical acclaim, only to pull it off the market (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/jawbone-ceo-offers-full-refund-to-up-wristband-purchasers/) a month later because of a defective design and numerous unhappy customers. The situation was so bad, Jawbone offered a "no questions asked guarantee", refunded all UP purchasers the full price paid, and allowed them to keep the device.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage15.png
Today, Jawbone released version 2.0 (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/jawbone-fitness-gadget-back-sale-fixed-hardware-app/story?id=17704171#.UKKXTqU0iK0) of the UP wristband, promising redesigned hardware and a better user experience. The wristband is similar to the Nike+ FuelBand that Apple began selling (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/apple-begins-selling-the-nike-fuelband-in-stores-and-online/) last month.
The Up, which was and still is a flexible bracelet, had two distinct issues that led to the hardware failures and thus the returns, Bogard explains now. The first was that small amounts of water were able to get into the band, causing moisture and contaminants to break some of the internal technology. The second was that the bendable nature of the band caused some of the tech components to break; people were bending and playing with the bracelet more than Jawbone had anticipated.

"In the last year we have learned a ton and we learned a lot from what became this beta in the real world. We got a lot of rich data from our users," Bogard explained. And with that the company built the next version of the Up, which is launching today in eight colors for $129.99 (https://jawbone.com/up).The new Jawbone is available at Jawbone.com, Apple, AT&T and Best Buy stores. The UP app is available free (http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/up-by-jawbone) on the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id461125277?mt=8)]

Article Link: Jawbone Releases Updated UP Wristband (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/13/jawbone-releases-updated-up-wristband/)

Andrew K.
Nov 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
I think it's too little too late. I wanted one of these back when they launched but everyone that had one said they were buggy and not responsive. Now it's just associated with the same problems.
Lets see what happens though.

j_maddison
Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Personally I'll never buy a jawbone product ever again. No refund happened, and I'd persisted with the bad and tried replacements before seeking a refund.

I simply would just never trust this company again.

appleguy123
Nov 13, 2012, 01:43 PM
If we recieve a replacement to our original Up bracelets, will they be replaced with 2.0 or 1.0 bands?

miknos
Nov 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Who's gonna buy and test it again?

baweathe
Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
I just picked one up today...I'll report back on how it works. While Jawbone failed on UP 1.0, they stood behind their product and never had anything short of great customer support. They know they biffed it, and they lost a lot of money on the first go-around. It sounds like they're pretty confident that they've got it right this time, and I hope they do...

I still find the Jawbone UP more compelling than FitBit or Nike+ Fuelband. I hope Jawbone UP 3.0 has wireless syncing. :rolleyes:

Battlefield Fan
Nov 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
I bought Jawbone 1.0 and it was a mess. Only two of the three features is neat. Taking pictures of your food and such never did much? The alarm and sleep tracker was neat. I went through three bands and they all broke. I finally got a refund. A little weary to try 2.0.

tomegun
Nov 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Interesting timing for me. But first, a little history.

I am a basketball official and wanted something to track workouts and the amount of distance covered during a game. I got a fitbit and loved it. The only problem is the form factor - I took off my pants one night, forgot I had it on the waistband and washed it. After that I got an Up for myself and my wife. Hers went bad almost immediately. We got the refund for hers and I took it back to the store for the exchange. I will make a long story short with this:

Fitbit
Pros: Accuracy (must supply walking and running step distance), battery life, small size, now measures flights of stairs, records activities, display on the device
Cons: must put on waistband making it easy to lose, app seems to be lacking (not sure if it will sync with bluetooth), sleep function...if you wear the stupid wristband

Jawbone Up
Pros: Accuracy, inactive notification (vibrates), records activities, measures sleep, wake from sleep, looks like a normal bracelet - harder to lose, new app looks better
Cons: must be plugged into audio jack of phone to upload information (hard if you have certain phone cases), losing a cap is inevitable, spotty reliability history

Nike Fuelband
Pros: the almighty Nike name, looks like a normal bracelet, harder to lose, the app is great, bluetooth syncing with phone
Cons: stupid Nike Fuel measurement, other measurements are not accurate (Polar heart rate monitor said I burned 360 calories, Fuelband said I burned 177 on my elliptical), no sleep measurements, no activity measurements, price ($161 after taxes)

I returned the Nike Fuelband yesterday and planned on getting a Fitbit One today. I'm not sure if I should hold off now. I am forced to put the devices, except the fitbit, into my pocket when I officiate. It wasn't a problem Saturday night (college game) with the Fuelband, but the stupid Nike Fuel said I didn't reach my goal after being on the elliptical for 30 minutes in the morning and running an entire college game...that should have been more than 10,000 steps (what I have been told should be everyone's goal).

Sorry for the long post. Since I am in the position I am in this gives me something to think about.

pnoyblazed
Nov 13, 2012, 02:25 PM

I am a basketball official and wanted something to track workouts and the amount of distance covered during a game. I got a fitbit and loved it. The only problem is the form factor - I took off my pants one night, forgot I had it on the waistband and washed it. After that I got an Up for myself and my wife. Hers went bad almost immediately. We got the refund for hers and I took it back to the store for the exchange. I will make a long story short with this:

Fitbit
Pros: Accuracy (must supply walking and running step distance), battery life, small size, now measures flights of stairs, records activities, display on the device
Cons: must put on waistband making it easy to lose, app seems to be lacking (not sure if it will sync with bluetooth), sleep function...if you wear the stupid wristband

Jawbone Up
Pros: Accuracy, inactive notification (vibrates), records activities, measures sleep, wake from sleep, looks like a normal bracelet - harder to lose, new app looks better
Cons: must be plugged into audio jack of phone to upload information (hard if you have certain phone cases), losing a cap is inevitable, spotty reliability history

Nike Fuelband
Pros: the almighty Nike name, looks like a normal bracelet, harder to lose, the app is great, bluetooth syncing with phone
Cons: stupid Nike Fuel measurement, other measurements are not accurate (Polar heart rate monitor said I burned 360 calories, Fuelband said I burned 177 on my elliptical), no sleep measurements, no activity measurements, price ($161 after taxes)

I returned the Nike Fuelband yesterday and planned on getting a Fitbit One today. I'm not sure if I should hold off now. I am forced to put the devices, except the fitbit, into my pocket when I officiate. It wasn't a problem Saturday night (college game) with the Fuelband, but the stupid Nike Fuel said I didn't reach my goal after being on the elliptical for 30 minutes in the morning and running an entire college game...that should have been more than 10,000 steps (what I have been told should be everyone's goal).

Sorry for the long post. Since I am in the position I am in this gives me something to think about.

nice observations, but in reality all of these devices are gimmicks at best

GoCubsGo
Nov 13, 2012, 02:28 PM

Gimmicks how? To me they're certainly not.

Boilermaker_coday
Nov 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
Gimmicks how? To me they're certainly not.

- For a lot of guys, myself include, weight lifting is a staple part of their workout routine and none of these devices have yet to find a way to accurately record and measure this type of movement/exercise

- The devices that have a GPS feature (so this doesn't count the FuelBand) may be semi-accurate at estimating calories burned while running , biking, or walking, but the accelerometers in the devices are still not very accurate with their accelerometer readings. So if you are on a treadmill, stationary bike, or elliptical you will not get an accurate reading. True that the machines themselves usually have a caloric read out, but then if they do that defeats the purpose of the bracelets, doesn't it?

- Assuming someone's maine form of working out was biking/running/jogging/walking (which I know it is for a lot of people), then there are free alternatives already built into the iPhone and can be used with the app store. Remember your iphone (and most smartphones) have GPS and accelerometers installed. Personally I use mapmyrun, because it tells me how far/fast I run and gives a lot of other useful statsics like average mile time, pace, calories burned, etc.

- If you are using a bracelet to measure your caloric intake (hint hint,: Nike+ Fuel and "Points" system) there are free alternatives to that on the app store too. I use MyFitnessPal. Has a HUGE database of different foods and their calories, and you can also enter the amount of calories you burn with just about any type of workout too, so you can figure out your net amount of calories for that day. So using MapMyRun + MyFitnessPal is free and really I can't figure out anything else that I would need.

- And finally, there is the "gimicky" idea that people have to use something like this to get them active. Is there a reason you need a fancy gizmo to start running everyday? Does it make you run faster, or does it make that running burn more calories? Is it suddenly going to make you eat less or make healthier choices about what you eat. On this last point, I make it knowing that it is not true for all people. While, personally, I realize that common sense and lifestyle changes are the greatest tools in changing your health, I can see how the visual display of how healthy you are being might motivate a few people (but how long will you stay motivated after the shinyness and newness wears off of your new gizmo?)

tomegun
Nov 13, 2012, 02:51 PM

Certainly the possibility exists that someone will buy one of these products and remain firmly planted on the couch. The same could be said for home gyms, gym memberships, etc. However, for those of us who monitor our activity, they are not gimmicks. For instance, I can tell you that I reached my goal using the Nike product and didn't reach my goal when I think I had more activity. Without the device it is a wag, but less interesting.

At the end of the day, these are pedometers with improved functionality. If you think they are gimmicks it would be a wise choice to keep your money in your pocket. For me and others they are used to monitor and motivate.

In response to Boilermaker (I am assuming you are a fellow Hoosier), I get off the Elliptical in the morning and my day isn't finished. A device like this allows me to 1) measure various activities throughout the day, 2) get an accumulated amount of exercise data and 3) measure my sleep (as accurately as they may be at doing this). I also have a Withings scale and blood pressure cuff so I guess I just like to have information and love technology.

I like to think I am somewhat active, but I just want to have the information that tells me how active I really am. I agree, it will be nice to have a device that can measure/monitor weightlifting activities. Maybe someone will create a device that does it all.

I also have to say that I would never workout with my iPhone. That is just my personal preference although I can see how having the actual location data would be helpful. If I was a runner like that I would probably buy a watch that did that for me....yes, I would have a watch on along with my Fitbit or Jawbone Up.

trellaine
Nov 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Where can I buy one to try here in Canada?? :confused:

Suppose to be available. I called the apple store and no such item.

Checked a couple BandM stores and can't see it ONLINE for purchase either.

Any suggestions? Canadian readers.

Thanks

grapes911
Nov 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
- For a lot of guys, myself include, weight lifting is a staple part of their workout routine and none of these devices have yet to find a way to accurately record and measure this type of movement/exercise
I look at these as devices to measure cardio training, not strength training. They serve very different purposes and need to be counted differently. I'm not saying both aren't important, because they are, but it's difficult to find a measurement that accurately tracks both in a meaningful way. (Yes I know you burn calories while weightlifting but that isn't the primary goal of that activity.) I don't think that makes it a gimmick.

stridemat
Nov 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Fingers crossed the 'problems' are now sorted. Perfect for Tri training. Now to wait for the final UK release date.

Where can I buy one to try here in Canada?? :confused:

Suppose to be available. I called the apple store and no such item.

Checked a couple BandM stores and can't see it ONLINE for purchase either.

Any suggestions? Canadian readers.

Thanks

I remember reading on the website that it was DEcember (that could be wrong though, but it definitely wasn't long)

Girianth
Nov 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Does any one else find it insulting that jawbone bumps the price up an extra $30 after the ridiculous failure at a premium of 99. If anything they should have reduced the intro price below 99 to attempt to get customer trust back.

grapes911
Nov 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Does any one else find it insulting that jawbone bumps the price up an extra $30 after the ridiculous failure at a premium of 99. If anything they should have reduced the intro price below 99 to attempt to get customer trust back.

No, I don't find it insulting. They issued refunds and let you keep the device. That's more than many companies would have done. If it's going to cost $30 more to make whatever change they needed to and get it right, then they should do it and up the price.

theBB
Nov 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
If anything they should have reduced the intro price below 99 to attempt to get customer trust back.
If a customer does not trust a brand that has publicly acknowledged a problem within weeks, identified the technical root cause, offered an apology from the CEO along with a no questions asked refund, I don't see how pricing the new version cheaper than the old one will make them believe Jawbone is trustworthy. A lower price would help them sell more, but it will not engender any more trust.

niuniu
Nov 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
Comes to the UK in 2013 so no need to take a punt on it.. lots of reviews will be out by then. I really wish them well this time round.

Got my mother the Nike Fuelband in September and she absolutely loves it. The constant reminder to burn calories just by it being on her arm has really helped her lose weight. I'd like to be more active too, I think these are really great, and not a gimmick as a guy said above (although before my mother's results I thought they were gimmicky also).

ctdonath
Nov 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
there is the "gimicky" idea that people have to use something like this to get them active. Is there a reason you need a fancy gizmo to start running everyday?

Yes. With an erratic schedule (starting with two toddlers), scheduling in a repeating block of time is not easy. Using a pedometer was very helpful in identifying how active, or not, I am each day; at the end of the day, I could just check a display and tell whether I needed a mile walk at midnight to hit my daily activity goal. If the day's events make me hit 10,000 steps without further effort, then heck yeah I'm not piling on a half hour run.

The key attraction of the UP to me is the dynamic wake feature. I know there's an optimal wake-up time in the morning which does not occur at the same time every day, and not long after is a period which is a lousy time to wake. Having something that can notice when that optimum time has arrived - varying daily - and wake me then would make for a great start to every day.

DrJohnnyN
Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Aesthetically, these are the best looking bands, IMHO.

ngenerator
Nov 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
The key attraction of the UP to me is the dynamic wake feature. I know there's an optimal wake-up time in the morning which does not occur at the same time every day, and not long after is a period which is a lousy time to wake. Having something that can notice when that optimum time has arrived - varying daily - and wake me then would make for a great start to every day.

+1 for the smart alarm. This is the one thing that I've missed the most since selling my UP v1.0. Can't wait to get v2.0, hopefully I can tonight :) I just wish that all colors were available immediately, but it seems like just the black is (or so Jawbone's online store has made it seem).

Edit: I just realized I've replied to you twice today. I'm not stalking, I swear, lol.

Xano
Nov 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
Here in Europe Jawbone have a really bad reputation!
I bought the UP and stop working after two weeks, no costumer support in Europe.

Oh Yeah!!! To sell the world is open, but for customers support only United States!

The Jambox is going the same way, small piece of crap who stops working after five months and once again no costumers support available.

I recommend all to avoid Jawbone products who already prove is lack of quality and support.

----------

No, I don't find it insulting. They issued refunds and let you keep the device. That's more than many companies would have done. If it's going to cost $30 more to make whatever change they needed to and get it right, then they should do it and up the price.

Big joke?
Issued refunds?
Not in my case, only US costumers.
To sell the world is open but for support not!
Avoid this crapy brand who don't know watt costumers support is.

grapes911
Nov 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
. . .

I believe you are mistaken and spreading misinformation. The refund was available in the EU. I think it might even still be available until the end of this year.

toolioiep
Nov 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
Here in Europe Jawbone have a really bad reputation!
I bought the UP and stop working after two weeks, no costumer support in Europe.

Oh Yeah!!! To sell the world is open, but for customers support only United States!

The Jambox is going the same way, small piece of crap who stops working after five months and once again no costumers support available.

I recommend all to avoid Jawbone products who already prove is lack of quality and support.

----------

Big joke?
Issued refunds?
Not in my case, only US costumers.
To sell the world is open but for support not!
Avoid this crapy brand who don't know watt costumers support is.

Not true - I'm in Canada and received a full refund directly from Jawbone.

appleofmy"i"
Nov 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
Does the smart alarm/wake feature work as well as they advertise?

freedevil
Nov 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Returned my 1st gen to Apple in 5 days. Its uncomfortable to sleep in and syncing was terrible.

tomegun
Nov 13, 2012, 06:04 PM

Yes it does.

Carlanga
Nov 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
If we recieve a replacement to our original Up bracelets, will they be replaced with 2.0 or 1.0 bands?
Only if you didn't get a refund check. If you did get a refund then you don't get a new 2.0 band

That was the best feature of my orig band.

-

I do think is a little unfair we 1.0 band owners don't get a discount on the new band or simply replace w/ a new one just pay S&H even after you requested a refund. I had to replace my orig band 3 times and the last one is working, but not perfectly. They should have just sent the 2.0 for us 1.0 owners as beta testers when asked for a replacement in last few months, they most likely had the first batch done and any problems could be seen before mass selling them again, if they break like the first gen they will lose all brand confidence.

fruitpunch.ben
Nov 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
I find it interesting that no one is really talking about Larklife.
They too make a band that does a similar thing to Jawbone, but looks to have the diet/food tracking part done a little better.
There's not much information on it, as it's only available for pre-order so far.
http://lark.com/products/larklife/experience

Now I have a hard decision to make, Larklife or Jawbone Up 2. They seem to do very similar things.
Does anyone have advice as to which would be better? Has anyone used any other Lark fitness products?

Pakaku
Nov 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
- And finally, there is the "gimicky" idea that people have to use something like this to get them active. Is there a reason you need a fancy gizmo to start running everyday?

One reason I might use a "gimmicky gizmo" would be to make it more enjoyable to exercise. If I like using the product that encourages me to exercise, I start to enjoy getting out and exercise. Not everyone needs a gimmick to exercise, but then again, not everyone needs an iPhone to place phone calls...

Xano
Nov 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
Not true - I'm in Canada and received a full refund directly from Jawbone.

Canada is not Europe!

----------

I believe you are mistaken and spreading misinformation. The refund was available in the EU. I think it might even still be available until the end of this year.

Not misinformation, I receive an email from Jawbone saying the refund was only available for US/Canada.

makotoisle
Nov 13, 2012, 07:03 PM

Fitbit

Jawbone Up

Nike Fuelband

I have used all three, and I can tell you, none of them will track your work on an Elliptical that well. Just like none of them will track a weight lifting routine very well. They are all glorified pedometers which really only work when you're walking/running/jogging/etc.

chr1s60
Nov 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
Only if you didn't get a refund check. If you did get a refund then you don't get a new 2.0 band

That was the best feature of my orig band.

-

I do think is a little unfair we 1.0 band owners don't get a discount on the new band or simply replace w/ a new one just pay S&H even after you requested a refund. I had to replace my orig band 3 times and the last one is working, but not perfectly. They should have just sent the 2.0 for us 1.0 owners as beta testers when asked for a replacement in last few months, they most likely had the first batch done and any problems could be seen before mass selling them again, if they break like the first gen they will lose all brand confidence.

You got your entire purchase amount back and got to keep the original with 0 questions asked. Why should they give you anything more? If you return a shirt that had something wrong with it, you don't get a discount on buying a different one or extra money off a replacement. Wanting more is nothing but greed.

grapes911
Nov 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
Not misinformation, I receive an email from Jawbone saying the refund was only available for US/Canada.

Absolutely missinformation. (https://jawbone.com/up/refund_faq)

What if I live outside the US?

Regardless of where you live, you are still eligible for a refund as long as you purchased your UP from an authorized retailer. Refunds will be given in the same currency that was used to purchase the product.

. . .

How much will my refund be?

Your refund will be issued in the currency of the region where your UP band was originally purchased. Refund amounts are as follows:
US — $109.43 USD
CA — $115.44 CAD
UK — 90.00 GBP
EU — €120 Euros

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 13, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm on my 10th UP since December. When they work, they're awesome. Customer support is awesome. They get a new one out right away.

nikster0029
Nov 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
where did you get one? I want to try one out?

I just picked one up today...I'll report back on how it works. While Jawbone failed on UP 1.0, they stood behind their product and never had anything short of great customer support. They know they biffed it, and they lost a lot of money on the first go-around. It sounds like they're pretty confident that they've got it right this time, and I hope they do...

I still find the Jawbone UP more compelling than FitBit or Nike+ Fuelband. I hope Jawbone UP 3.0 has wireless syncing. :rolleyes:

Carlanga
Nov 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
You got your entire purchase amount back and got to keep the original with 0 questions asked. Why should they give you anything more? If you return a shirt that had something wrong with it, you don't get a discount on buying a different one or extra money off a replacement. Wanting more is nothing but greed.

My guess is you didn't own one; I had one from the start before the issues were official and time was wasted waiting on warranty replacements before the return. I asked for my money back after the replacements, had I known that they were really going to come out w/ a new fixed one for real then I wouldn't have asked for my money back. Now because I asked for my money back I have to pay $30 more than someone that didn't and had a 1.0 band. Also, they could have easily sent some 2.0 bands as replacement before mass selling to retail instead of sending more bad out of the box 1.0 versions. But you are right, I get to keep a nonworking band before my warranty expires on december, my money back and my lost time. All products have store markups, they could easily sell to orig band users at whole price and make us happy and create more trust and positive vibes all around the web & they wouldn't lose any money. It is a similar strategy to what retailers do on BF.

Xano
Nov 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
Absolutely missinformation. (https://jawbone.com/up/refund_faq)

Yes it is.
I bought my Up on a US travel, so the refund could only be issued in the US/Canada. I have the email from Jawbone.

But I will not die because of $100 USD, i think the bad reputation they gained in Europe will cost them 1000X more.

appleguy123
Nov 13, 2012, 07:53 PM

I don't know if it is more powerful in 2.0, but on my original band, I almost always slept throughout the vibrations. When it did work though, I did feel more refreshed than average.

nuckinfutz
Nov 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
www.mybasis.com

I'm waiting.

grapes911
Nov 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
Yes it is.
I bought my Up on a US travel, so the refund could only be issued in the US/Canada. I have the email from Jawbone.

Ah . . . so now we are getting to the bottom of this. You purchased a device in the US and the European Jawbone support wouldn't issue the refund. That's very different from the blanket statements you made such as "no costumer support in Europe" and "customers support only United States!" While this isn't always the case, it's very common for a company only to give support in the country that the device was purchased. That really shouldn't be a surprise.

Xano
Nov 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
Ah . . . so now we are getting to the bottom of this. You purchased a device in the US and the European Jawbone support wouldn't issue the refund. That's very different from the blanket statements you made such as "no costumer support in Europe" and "customers support only United States!" While this isn't always the case, it's very common for a company only to give support in the country that the device was purchased. That really shouldn't be a surprise.

I bought a lot of stuff (Apple, Canon, Bose, WD and so on) in US and always receive a excellent support!

GrandPhrase
Nov 13, 2012, 09:09 PM

How'd you get it so quick? Do Apple stores sell them already? Or..

grapes911
Nov 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
I bought a lot of stuff (Apple, Canon, Bose, WD and so on) in US and always receive a excellent support!

I do know Apple has been known to grant warranty outside of the country of purchase, but they do reserve the right not to (http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html). You may be asking for trouble if you expect warranty service and support outside the country of purchase.
Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

GrandPhrase
Nov 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Certainly the possibility exists that someone will buy one of these products and remain firmly planted on the couch. The same could be said for home gyms, gym memberships, etc. However, for those of us who monitor our activity, they are not gimmicks. For instance, I can tell you that I reached my goal using the Nike product and didn't reach my goal when I think I had more activity. Without the device it is a wag, but less interesting.

At the end of the day, these are pedometers with improved functionality. If you think they are gimmicks it would be a wise choice to keep your money in your pocket. For me and others they are used to monitor and motivate.

In response to Boilermaker (I am assuming you are a fellow Hoosier), I get off the Elliptical in the morning and my day isn't finished. A device like this allows me to 1) measure various activities throughout the day, 2) get an accumulated amount of exercise data and 3) measure my sleep (as accurately as they may be at doing this). I also have a Withings scale and blood pressure cuff so I guess I just like to have information and love technology.

I like to think I am somewhat active, but I just want to have the information that tells me how active I really am. I agree, it will be nice to have a device that can measure/monitor weightlifting activities. Maybe someone will create a device that does it all.

I also have to say that I would never workout with my iPhone. That is just my personal preference although I can see how having the actual location data would be helpful. If I was a runner like that I would probably buy a watch that did that for me....yes, I would have a watch on along with my Fitbit or Jawbone Up.

Yup, the beginning part you said I agree. They don't make you fit, they help you get fit by tracking and monitoring activity.

fruitpunch.ben
Nov 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
www.mybasis.com

I'm waiting.

That's another device to add onto the possibility list with the Up and lark life. But does it have vibrating smart alarm? Didn't seem like it

GrandPhrase
Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
That's another device to add onto the possibility list with the Up and lark life. But does it have vibrating smart alarm? Didn't seem like it

Pretty expensive to just use it as I will list, but I would consider that as an alarm+watch, looks really nice.

coolfilmaker
Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
And now they're not even saying that they will come out with one that would fit my wrist. All their execs must be midgets.

Lucent336
Nov 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
They too make a band that does a similar thing to Jawbone, but looks to have the diet/food tracking part done a little better.
There's not much information on it, as it's only available for pre-order so far.
http://lark.com/products/larklife/experience

Now I have a hard decision to make, Lark Life or Jawbone Up 2. They seem to do very similar things.
Does anyone have advice as to which would be better? Has anyone used any other Lark fitness products?

The Lark Life seems to do everything the Jawbone Up 2 does, with the added bluetooth syncing, added LED lights, and significantly lower battery life.

Comparing the spec pages, UP lasts up to 10 days, Lark Life is up to 48 hours.

At 20 dollars less and in a variety of colors, I'd give up the LEDs and Bluetooth to gain 8 days of battery.

bareynolds
Nov 13, 2012, 10:50 PM
Having been an early supporter of this product and receiving little to no information on when UP2 would arrive (or even if there would be an UP2), I have unfortunately positioned myself where I can not longer obtain an UP2 without paying full price. Given their poor track record I don't think i will risk another $100+ on being a beta tester and waiting for UP3 to arrive.

Not a bad deal ... get people to pay to be your beta testers!! And them ask them to buy the next generation product at full price ... not impressed, nor the way to build a loyal customer base.

Chupa Chupa
Nov 13, 2012, 11:06 PM
- And finally, there is the "gimicky" idea that people have to use something like this to get them active. Is there a reason you need a fancy gizmo to start running everyday?

It's not gimmicky if you are motivated by it. If you are by nature athletic driven, sure it's pointless because you already are active. It you really don't care to change your sedentary lifestyle it won't do miracles either. But I can say just from my own experience that the Fuel Band led to positive behavior modification. I was a total desk jockey before the Fuel Band shamed me to get more active. Now I'm doing 5 mile intervals 5x a week and 8 miles on Sundays. Before I was at the high end of the "normal" BMI and low end of resting heart rate for my age, now it's the opposite.

The Fuel Band challenges me every day. There are plenty of days when I'm beat. If I didn't have a streak going I'd probably just procrastinate, but I can't b/c if I miss my goal I'll lose my streak AND a humiliating red mark. It's total mental, but it motives me to go for a run when I don't really want to. Also I adopted a "healthy" life style and gave up junk food and most processed foods.

They too make a band that does a similar thing to Jawbone

Looks a little bulky. I thought the Fuel Band was big, but this looks even bigger and doesn't even have an LED read out like the Fuel Band so I don't see the point to it's size. The UP doesn't have a read out either but at least it's thin and unassuming.

chr1s60
Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
My guess is you didn't own one; I had one from the start before the issues were official and time was wasted waiting on warranty replacements before the return. I asked for my money back after the replacements, had I known that they were really going to come out w/ a new fixed one for real then I wouldn't have asked for my money back. Now because I asked for my money back I have to pay $30 more than someone that didn't and had a 1.0 band. Also, they could have easily sent some 2.0 bands as replacement before mass selling to retail instead of sending more bad out of the box 1.0 versions. But you are right, I get to keep a nonworking band before my warranty expires on december, my money back and my lost time. All products have store markups, they could easily sell to orig band users at whole price and make us happy and create more trust and positive vibes all around the web & they wouldn't lose any money. It is a similar strategy to what retailers do on BF.

Actually, I did own one and received my rebate for it. I owned it right after it came out as well, but mine didn't have issues until after the refund was made official. If I recall correctly, they did state that they would be working on improving and releasing a new band back then. The reason they did the rebate when they did was because they had no clue when the new band would be released. As a company they wouldn't not refund money and expect people to just wait however many months before being able to replace it with a new band. If that were the case, people would be mad they didn't get their money back. My band no longer works either, but that isn't an issue seeing that I received all of my money back. Had you not went for the refund you would currently be able to send that old band back for a new 2.0, but then again you would also be out $100 plus tax already. Instead you used a product for however long it lasted and got your money back, whether it was a waste of time or not. You currently have spent $0 on the product. If you don't like it, don't but another. If you liked it, you know they are good for their money as far as giving it back if there is an issue, and you put out the $130 for it. You had a bad experience with the first version and received every penny back. You are sitting at even. Be happy with that and if you liked it, buy the new one. If you don't trust them, sit it out.

smirking
Nov 14, 2012, 01:42 AM
So using MapMyRun + MyFitnessPal is free and really I can't figure out anything else that I would need.

MyFitnessPal is excellent. Some of this stuff may be a little gimmicky, but whatever works in getting people to get their butts moving is a good thing. Also for some people (and I'd count myself as one of them), just the act of interacting with a program is a way of reinforcing a behavior. If you're inherently lazy, it'll only have a short term effect, but if you just need something to help you stay focused and be more aware of what you're doing, a lot of these gimmicks are very good solutions.

theBB
Nov 14, 2012, 02:34 AM
Given their poor track record I don't think i will risk another $100+ on being a beta tester and waiting for UP3 to arrive.
Way to go painting yourself like an exploited victim, even though Jawbone does everything it should for a reputable company screwing up. Dude, they gave your money back and let you keep the product, didn't they? What else do you want, CEO doing your laundry?

They must have lost a ton of money dealing with the problem in 1.0 and lost almost months of market share to Nike and others, it is not like they are happy somebody beta tested the product. I am sure they would have liked it better if everything went fine the first time. On second thought, they might actually be better off losing you as a customer, who knows how you would bad mouth them for every little problem, real or imagined...

chimpboy74
Nov 14, 2012, 03:23 AM
Is there a reason you need a fancy gizmo to start running everyday? Does it make you run faster, or does it make that running burn more calories? Is it suddenly going to make you eat less or make healthier choices about what you eat. On this last point, I make it knowing that it is not true for all people. While, personally, I realize that common sense and lifestyle changes are the greatest tools in changing your health, I can see how the visual display of how healthy you are being might motivate a few people (but how long will you stay motivated after the shinyness and newness wears off of your new gizmo?)

I use walk meter on my phone. Whilst it didn't make me start to exercise, it does motivate me to improve yesterday's distance/time/calorie burn. The benefit I see of a product like this is it tracks you all the time. Not just when I start it.

I see that working well when, for example, you miss your bus and have to walk home. I probably wouldn't start walkmeter up but if I had the band on it would do this.

Hello...
Nov 14, 2012, 04:22 AM
They were very buggy, I also never received a refund however I would like to try the new one, love the orange!

JaySoul
Nov 14, 2012, 04:54 AM
Again, this thread shows up the misconceptions about the point of such products.

They will never be perfect - to be perfect, Nike and Jawbone would have to implant 4 frickin' microchips into your arms and legs.

These are motivational/tracking tools. They are best for cardio, and if you buy into their philosophy, they can be brilliant.

I lost 1.5 stone, went from 26% body fat down to 10% and I've maintained it half a year later, thanks to my childish competitive spirit and a Nike FuelBand.

Compile 'em all
Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 AM
The Lark Life seems to do everything the Jawbone Up 2 does, with the added bluetooth syncing, added LED lights, and significantly lower battery life.

Comparing the spec pages, UP lasts up to 10 days, Lark Life is up to 48 hours.

At 20 dollars less and in a variety of colors, I'd give up the LEDs and Bluetooth to gain 8 days of battery.

That thing is MASSIVE. I wouldn't really compare it to other offerings.

yetieater
Nov 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
Having been an early supporter of this product and receiving little to no information on when UP2 would arrive (or even if there would be an UP2), I have unfortunately positioned myself where I can not longer obtain an UP2 without paying full price. Given their poor track record I don't think i will risk another $100+ on being a beta tester and waiting for UP3 to arrive.

Not a bad deal ... get people to pay to be your beta testers!! And them ask them to buy the next generation product at full price ... not impressed, nor the way to build a loyal customer base.

Frankly, what you've written here is a crock of crap. If you're not being offered the UP 2.0, I bet with 95% certainty that you took the 'No Questions Asked' refund of the purchase price from Jawbone. You paid for the Jawbone UP first generation, received it, heard that you could get your money back if you asked for it, and thus volunteered to be a 'beta tester' when in fact little to no feedback was required of you.

Chupa Chupa
Nov 14, 2012, 08:30 AM

Odd that you are so P.O.'d at the company even though you fully admit you "positioned" yourself. Positioned to what, I'm not sure. Jawbone offered V1 owners a full refund AND let them keep there V1 Up AND left the warranty in tact, i.e., you could get a replacement.

SO what's with the outrage? If you didn't apply for your refund who's fault is that? Seems to me Jawbone did everything right for their customers. They admitted the product was too flawed to keep on the market and offered refunds and didn't ask customers to take time to jump too many hoops to get it either, like ship back the band.

dfinecy
Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM
Still don't see them on Apple's online store....maybe they are actually in store...can anyone confirm?

canyonblue737
Nov 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
I just don't see how this compares to the Nike Fuelband...

1. The UP still has the cap on the end that can fall off and get lost. Nothing to get lost on the Fuelband it has a clasp.
2. The UP still requires manual connection to your phone for data transfer, Fuelband is wireless.
3. The Nike Fuelband app is more attractive and well presented (syncing wirelessly to your phone). I will admit it doesn't have food and sleep tracking but both both (in particular the food tracking) are very poorly designed anyway on the Up.
4. The UP has no screen on the device. The hidden LEDs on the Fuelband are awesome and a highlight of the product and give instant feedback throughout the day on your progress.
5. The UP has a previous history of just beyond horrible quality control (I assume it is fixed but...) while the Fuelband has been solid for me for 8 months of 24/7 wear.
6. The Nike Fuelband connects to the Nike+ website so if you use their running watches or the Nike+ footpad all the data is in one place.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Looking forward to getting my free one some time in the next week or so. Nice to see that they've updated the software too. There is a lot more they could do to increase all the UP can do but they didn't bother doing anything once they recalled it. It didn't even work with the iPhone 5 until the update yesterday.

----------

1. The UP still has the cap on the end that can fall off and get lost. Nothing to get lost on the Fuelband it has a clasp.
2. The UP still requires manual connection to your phone for data transfer, Fuelband is wireless.
3. The Nike Fuelband app is more attractive and well presented (syncing wirelessly to your phone). I will admit it doesn't have food and sleep tracking but both both (in particular the food tracking) are very poorly designed anyway on the Up.
4. The UP has no screen on the device. The hidden LEDs on the Fuelband are awesome and a highlight of the product and give instant feedback throughout the day on your progress.
5. The UP has a previous history of just beyond horrible quality control (I assume it is fixed but...) while the Fuelband has been solid for me for 8 months of 24/7 wear.
6. The Nike Fuelband connects to the Nike+ website so if you use their running watches or the Nike+ footpad all the data is in one place.

1) The cap doesn't fall off. It locks on tightly. I've been using the UP for over 11 months and have yet to ever have the cap fall off.
2) So what? It takes an extra 2 seconds to plug it in and because it's not wireless, it's battery lasts for 10 days rather than the 4 days of the Fuelband.
3) The UP is seeing new updates and will continue to evolve. App design is personal preference.
4) The UP has 2 icons that display the modes. Personally, I don't need the screen the Fuelband provides as it provides little more information. If I want the information, I sync my band and get all of it.
5) Yes the UP had an issue. They've resolved it. They provided awesome customer support for those of us still using the bands. I can't say that it takes less than 20 seconds to get through to Nike support like it does Jawbone.
6) Great if you use those things. For those of us that don't want to invest several hundred dollars in Nike+ stuff, it does nothing for us.

Ashyukun
Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
I really wanted one of the original ones but the issues with it came out right before I planned to buy one. I'd jump at the new version, but I'm going to wait and see how well the Pebble does at the same job before spending another $100+ on a wrist accessory... ;)

tomegun
Nov 14, 2012, 12:19 PM

1. I agree. My wife has one too and we both lost caps. I think they come off due to the design...you can brush up against things or snag it on something.
2. I actually have a current issue with this. I have an iPhone 5 in an Otterbox Commuter case. The case doesn't allow me to plug the UP in.
3. I don't use the food function and they just came out with an updated UP app. The app looks to be better.
4. Having used both I can agree that the Fuelband's display is nice. However, the UP lets you go into an activity mode and the Fuelband doesn't.
5. The Fuelband has had problems too. Google it and several people will tell their stories.
6. N/A for me.
7. The UP tracks sleep

Geckotek
Nov 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
I'd give up the LEDs and Bluetooth to gain 8 days of battery.

I'll never understand this thought process. Is this becuase you will be away from a power source for up to 8 days at a time? As with all things, if you can perform something on a daily regular schedule, it is much easier to do and remember them. So for me, I'd rather plug in my rechargable devices at night before I go to bed, bucause I've built a habit doing so, than to find myself with a 10% charge about to die becuase the last charge was 7 days ago and I haven't been thinking about charging it since.

I guess the same could apply if you do it once a week, kind of like how I fill my gas tank once a week on Sundays.....either way, it's much easier to remember a daily repetetive task than it is to have a device that lasts several days and you only charge every few days.

ngenerator
Nov 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
Still don't see them on Apple's online store....maybe they are actually in store...can anyone confirm?

yes, they're in the stores

mrjosh
Nov 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if there is an app that counts, not just calories, but other nutritional values?

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 14, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'll never understand this thought process. Is this becuase you will be away from a power source for up to 8 days at a time? As with all things, if you can perform something on a daily regular schedule, it is much easier to do and remember them. So for me, I'd rather plug in my rechargable devices at night before I go to bed, bucause I've built a habit doing so, than to find myself with a 10% charge about to die becuase the last charge was 7 days ago and I haven't been thinking about charging it since.

I guess the same could apply if you do it once a week, kind of like how I fill my gas tank once a week on Sundays.....either way, it's much easier to remember a daily repetetive task than it is to have a device that lasts several days and you only charge every few days.

Charging overnight is fine for most products but for a product that tracks your sleeping habits, charging overnight isn't what you want.

For a product that tracks your steps and activity, you want it on you as much as possible. That 90 minutes or so that it takes to charge is time that it can't track your activity so you have a gap in there while it charges. Minimizing how often you have to charge the device really helps lessen the gaps in collected data.

The band lets you know when it's getting down low and even then you generally have another day or two of battery life left. Just like you're in a habit of filling your gas tank on Sundays, you just need to remember to charge it once a week.

I'd much rather have the longer battery life than Bluetooth and a LED status display screen. It's nice to be able to go on a business trip or a week long vacation and not have to worry about charging the band at all in that time. One less charger to bring along and one less thing to think about.

----------

Does anyone know if there is an app that counts, not just calories, but other nutritional values?

Checkout LoseIt. It's a great app for tracking that kind of stuff and has plenty of great stuff on their website.

Also checkout FitDay.com They're another great one for tracking that kind of stuff.

dfinecy
Nov 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
I decided to take a chance and bought one today at the apple store...so far so good! Time will tell

thespazz
Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
I decided to take a chance and bought one today at the apple store...so far so good! Time will tell

Does the cap fall off easily?

tuncer
Nov 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
I bought a Nike Fuelband last week at the Apple Store and it's fantastic. It definitely makes you more active as I'm wanting to reach my goal of 2000 fuel a day. The iOS app is fantastic as is the USB charging and syncing via bluetooth.

Overall I'm very impressed with it. My only complaint is that it's a tad on the think end but you get used to it after a while.

Tuncer

dfinecy
Nov 14, 2012, 03:10 PM
Does the cap fall off easily?

I don't think so...it snaps on pretty securely and it takes two hands to remove it so its something I'm not worried about

Chupa Chupa
Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
Bought one today at the Apple Store. They didn't have them out yet but asked for it. I've been a Fuel Band user since April. I have a love/hate relationship with it because it's so damn inaccurate. I run 5 miles it tells me I only went 3. So that's my motivation for checking the Up out.

Can't comment of functionality yet, but not liking the design so far.

Aesthetically it's slimmer than the Fuel Band but a tad wider going outward. I'm not a fan of how the two end curl up at the end to grip your wrist. Nike's solution is a lot cleaner. The way the ends overhang means shirts and sweaters will get hung up on it and who knows what else.

Also for $129 -- just $30 less than the Fuel Band, you get no instant data readout or feedback. Everything has to be read from the App. That would not be a monster issue if it had wireless sync, but it doesn't (even though Jawbone is a BT speaker and headset co). So to find out where you are in the day you have to take the bracelet off, take the cap off, stick it in the headphone port, activate the app and sync. That's a lot of work just to find out where you are in the day. Even the Fitbit offers visual cues in the form of a growing flower.

So, so far not impressed. I'm going to reserve judgment until I've used it for a week but I don't think Jawbone learned as much about design of the Gen 1 as they think they did.

makotoisle
Nov 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
Bought one today at the Apple Store. They didn't have them out yet but asked for it. I've been a Fuel Band user since April. I have a love/hate relationship with it because it's so damn inaccurate. I run 5 miles it tells me I only went 3. So that's my motivation for checking the Up out.

Aesthetically it's slimmer than the Fuel Band but a tad wider going outward. I'm not a fan of how the two end curl up at the end to grip your wrist. Nike's solution is a lot cleaner. The way the ends overhang means shirts and sweaters will get hung up on it and who knows what else.

Also for $129 -- just $30 less than the Fuel Band, you get no instant data readout or feedback. Everything has to be read from the App. That would not be a monster issue if it had wireless sync, but it doesn't (even though Jawbone is a BT speaker and headset co). So to find out where you are in the day you have to take the bracelet off, take the cap off, stick it in the headphone port, activate the app and sync. That's a lot of work just to find out where you are in the day. Even the Fitbit offers visual cues in the form of a growing flower.

So, so far not impressed. I'm going to reserve judgment until I've used it for a week but I don't think Jawbone learned as much about design of the Gen 1 as they think they did.

Please keep us updated and post any more opinions you have. I have a few more days to return my FuelBand and get an Up, if I deem it worth it. I really like the feature-set of the Up - the sleep tracking and vibrating alarms, especially - but I love that the FuelBand doubles as a watch and gives immediate feedback. BT syncing is just icing on the cake.

I'd love the additional features the Up has to offer, but I'm worried that the syncing method is going to really put a damper on the experience for me, especially as it's the only way to get feedback on how your day is going and if you need to take that extra lap around the block to meet your goal for the day.

fruitpunch.ben
Nov 14, 2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the review. I really am torn between this and the lark life. I'm not considering the mybasis or fuelband as they don't provide the silent vibrating alarm when you're best rested feature, which is essential for me.

Here's how I can see it breaking down:
JAWBONE:
Pros:
- More fashionable. Looks smaller and comes in a variety of great colours
- Some extra features: the power nap feature looks very useful; as does mood tracking
- very water resistant (if their video is to be believed)
- does everything in one band
- it's already here!
Cons:
- no bluetooth, need to take it off to sync
- annoying cap, easy to lose
- need to take it off to charge

LARKLIFE:
Pros:
- two bands (night and day) each with their own battery so you can charge one while you wear the other one - no break in tracking
- the two bands also mean it's more comfortable during the night
- bluetooth syncing!
- expert tips on sleeping, diet, etc. available
- expert help on exercising available
Cons:
- waterproof? they don't say
- release date unknown
- only 2 day battery life
- only comes in blue right now
- the computer part of the thing is small, and possible to lose (although presumably you're always wearing it, so probably not)
- $20 more than the Up

So they stack up pretty nicely against each other. The main selling point of the Larklife is the expert advice: it was designed in consultation with fitness/sleep/diet experts and you can get expert advice if you choose based on your results. The bluetooth syncing so you can track yourself real time is also the big feature.
The main selling point of the Up (to me) is how fashionable it looks. Provided you get the right colour, it won't necessarily even look out of place whilst wearing my suit, and its 8 day battery life.
At this stage I'm leaning towards the lark life. But I might wait until both are available here in Canada, get both, and try them out for 30 days with my wife. Then we'll both order the one that we like.

Since I am also waiting on the pebble watch, perhaps the winner will end up being the first to integrate with it! Unless of course the pebble ends up being able to do all these things, but I suspect not as well

thespazz
Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
How do y'all feel about the FitBit One? I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I don't feel like it will pop off or disappear at all. It even does the sleep alarm! It doesn't have the activity reminder of the Up, though.

makotoisle
Nov 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
How do y'all feel about the FitBit One? I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I don't feel like it will pop off or disappear at all. It even does the sleep alarm! It doesn't have the activity reminder of the Up, though.

I used a FitBit for a while; the only thing I didn't really like about it was that if I was rushing and changed clothes quickly and ran out the door to the gym (as I'm often running late for) I would forget it in my pants pocket.

That, and I found the sleep band to be kind of weird. It often fell out of the band while I was sleeping, and you have to be conscious to remember to put it on your wrist before bed.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I really liked the altimeter a lot.

Geckotek
Nov 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Couldn't help myself, it's just too sexy.....

http://www.indiegogo.com/misfitshine

----------

www.mybasis.com

I'm waiting.

Any clue how much it'll cost?

Edit: saw this thing back in January....still waiting.....
Edit2: now I remember it's $199... for that price I'll wait for reviews.

Arbuthnott
Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 PM

I think you are probably right. However, there comes a point where it might only need a small additional factor to tip the balance to get behaviour on track - for example to lose weight consistently.

Personally, I would have liked the Jawbone UP a year ago. Today I am using a FitBit, and have managed to steadily lose weight for the last 2.5 months with the additional contribution it provides. Any gimmick might have done the job, and Jawbone have missed the boat in my case.

slesherinyork
Nov 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
Like many had high hope when this first came out and lost a couple of caps along the way and at first customer service was subpar at best.

Wore the first one while taking a shower and it killed it. They replaced the first band no questions and provided some extra caps.

Then took the refund and kept the band and have used it until this past summer when it wouldn't hold a charge more than a day. They sent out a replacement and until the iPhone 5 was released it worked well.

Received an email yesterday from them letting me know V2 was being released and they offered me a free one... Was a little shocked but it shipped yesterday afternoon and will have it by Monday.

I downloaded the new version of the App yesterday as well and it works really well with the iPhone 5 and I find it a lot more useful then before. One feature I didn't use was the log of food you ate because I didn't feel the info was too accurate. Now it has a lot of items to include restaurant foods, you can select portion sizes easily and even scan bar codes on products just to name a few to help with input. Overall a lot more polished than prior.

All in all I think they learned their lesson and while it's hard to make everyone happy I believe they are making a best effort to make things right with those who had and stayed with version one of the band.:)

fruitpunch.ben
Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
Couldn't help myself, it's just too sexy.....

http://www.indiegogo.com/misfitshine[COLOR="#808080"]

There is zero information on that site about any features it has. Does it track steps, calories, altitude, sleep? Who knows! I'm not buying it based on looks alone

Fandongo
Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 PM
Just run till your coughing.
Run till you choke
Run like a president running on hope.

Leaning over to vomit, you see it.
Written in the stalls.
"By gum we've found it... a remotely useful Scause."

nikster0029
Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
I just purchased it today at the Apple store.

So far I am not as impressed as I am with my fuelband that I have for over six months. I wear on each wrist and compared throughout the entire day. These are just first impressions and I am still eager to try the powernap and smart alarm functions because this is primarily why I bought it.

Pros:
-Lightweight vs fuelband
-Powernap and Smart Alarm (fuelband should of had this)
-Vibrations! I wish the fuelband had this
-Application on iPhone is outstanding!
-Battery Life! 1 day and only 6% charge gone! Still got the night to go!

Cons:
-Medium doesn't fit on me, but the large (which i use) is to flimsy and my clothes snag onto it and pulls it all over the place.
-Does not fit a regular wrist. Weird space open around the sides of my wrist where the fuelband is a perfect fit around my wrist and snug.
-No LEDS
-No bluetooth

The cons of not feeling well on my wrist makes me want to return it. I will give it another day, but this is not working out how I wanted it too.

Geckotek
Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
There is zero information on that site about any features it has. Does it track steps, calories, altitude, sleep? Who knows! I'm not buying it based on looks alone

I know, I'm such a sucker.....:p

dfinecy
Nov 15, 2012, 08:53 AM
OK so I've had the Up for about a day now and here are my impressions:

-The weight and size of the Up is just about the same as having a simple rubber wristband. At first just having it on my wrist bugged the crap out of me but now I don't even realize I have it on. While it is thicker than those rubber wristbands, you really don't notice it during normal wear.

-Design: I do like the design except for the open ends. I have noticed that those ends get caught on things especially my jacket while I'm taking it on or off.
The rubber construction is very durable and is remarkably flexible considering the electronics are are located inside of it.
Since there's only one button on the wristband, the interface and function are extremely easy to use. After looking through the app and finding the correct button pushing combinations, I found it was easy to memorize them and use them accordingly.
I know some of you have expressed concerns over the cap of the 3.5mm connection coming off, but I don't see that as an issue. Its held together very securely and it takes two hands just to remove it.
I took a shower with it on last night, and it held up very well. No known issues getting it wet which is a huge improvement from the first version (from what I hear).

-App: The app is extremely beautiful and really a pleasure to use. Everything is laid out very well and adjusting the settings for vibration notifications, inputting diet information and syncing are all easy to use and seem accurate. The best feature I've found is the ability to scan the UPC on my products and being able to adjust serving sizes to be more accurate. Extremely useful and haven't found a product yet that wasn't listed.
The calorie tracking seems a bit off to me but I have no way to compare it to anything else so I may not know what the hell I'm talking about.
The step counter and sleep features feel very accurate to me and are more useful than I could've ever imagined. The sleep feature is the biggest reason why I chose the Up and not the Nike Fuel Band.

-Syncing: Yes you do have to take the band off to sync it but I don't find this to be an issue. The reason why I bought the Up is for it to work in the background. In the past day, I've synced it twice (once this morning and once before I went to bed last night) and usually takes about 20 or so seconds to complete the sync. Since I'm usually busy with work or school, constantly checking would seem like a hassle but syncing two or three times a day will give me ample progress.

These are just my first thoughts, if anything comes up I'll be sure to let you guys know! So far if I were to give this a rating, I'd give it four out of five. The product works as advertised but there are a few minor issues that could be improved upon. If you have any questions please ask as I'm willing to help in any way that I can! :)

parseckadet
Nov 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
Bought the Fitbit One yesterday. The UP wasn't even on my list of choices after the unmitigated disaster last year. Jawbone needs to earn their reputation back before I'll consider any of their products, and I wasn't going to wait any longer for that to happen. Also, wireless syncing and a display do matter in my opinion.

I chose the Fitbit over the Nike Fuel band for one major reason. WTF are fuel points? Beyond trying to earn as many fuel points as I can, how are they at all useful to me?

tomegun
Nov 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
I also purchased a Fitbit One last night (from REI). I just sent an email to the company about their app. It is not that good compared to the Fuelband and UP. I told them that I just got it and I am pulling for them to come out with something better. This is my second Fitbit. I had the Ultra and washed it.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
Funny to see all the comments about how easy the cap is to lose on the UP. Seems they're all from people that have never owned an UP. I've had mine for about a year now and have yet to lose the cap. It stays tightly on in all conditions. You set it down right next to the UP while it charges and magically, it's there to replace when it's done charging.

Lack of wireless sync isn't a problem like so many are making it out to be. It takes 3 seconds extra to pop it into my phone. It also means that I have 10 day battery life where the Fuelband only has 4 day. That's a huge difference when I travel for work or go on vacation and I don't have to bring a charger or worry about remembering to sync it during that time.

----------

Bought the Fitbit One yesterday. The UP wasn't even on my list of choices after the unmitigated disaster last year. Jawbone needs to earn their reputation back before I'll consider any of their products, and I wasn't going to wait any longer for that to happen. Also, wireless syncing and a display do matter in my opinion.

I chose the Fitbit over the Nike Fuel band for one major reason. WTF are fuel points? Beyond trying to earn as many fuel points as I can, how are they at all useful to me?

Fuel Points are meaningless in most ways. What they do is push the user. You try to get as many as possible. It's like all the people on Reddit that strive for karma. What is karma on Reddit? Nothing more than a stupid number. You don't get money for it. You don't get anything for it but it drives most everyone on that site to do whatever they can to get it. Fuel Points are the same deal. People try to get as many as they can. It helps to push you.

SeanZy
Nov 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
I called the local apple store and they said they didnt have the UP in stock. I waited 40 damn minutes to ask if they had it in stock (Im at school so cant drive to check).

I have a weird feeling the guy just doesnt know and they are in the back, based off of the people who have already purchased them

dfinecy
Nov 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
I called the local apple store and they said they didnt have the UP in stock. I waited 40 damn minutes to ask if they had it in stock (Im at school so cant drive to check).

I have a weird feeling the guy just doesnt know and they are in the back, based off of the people who have already purchased them

I had the same problem...the guy I talked to said they were recalled...so i went in and (shocker) they have about 15 of them in stock

charliehustle
Nov 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
For cardio I ride a bike.. This thing is gonna be useless for me right?
I agree it's just a gimmick.. Your will power is gonna be what dictates your physical condition, not a piece of plastic.

grapes911
Nov 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
Your will power is gonna be what dictates your physical condition, not a piece of plastic.

There are many people who have trouble working out by themselves. They have an easier time getting motivation when working out with a friend or by hiring a personal trainer. The UP is no different. It's not a replacement for will power, but it can help supplement it.

cerote
Nov 16, 2012, 01:16 AM
Ordered it online the moment day it was announced and yet to even get a shipped notice. :(

Chupa Chupa
Nov 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Please keep us updated and post any more opinions you have. I have a few more days to return my FuelBand and get an Up, if I deem it worth it. I really like the feature-set of the Up - the sleep tracking and vibrating alarms, especially - but I love that the FuelBand doubles as a watch and gives immediate feedback. BT syncing is just icing on the cake.

I'd love the additional features the Up has to offer, but I'm worried that the syncing method is going to really put a damper on the experience for me, especially as it's the only way to get feedback on how your day is going and if you need to take that extra lap around the block to meet your goal for the day.

Well after 1.5 days I can safely say the UP is not for me and I'm sticking w/ the Fuel Band for now. I'm returning it today at my first opportunity.

The big killer for me is the lack to see instant daily status direct from the band. It's just too much trouble to have to take the band off, plug it in to the iPhone, open your iPhone, open the app, click the sync page, then click sync just to see how many steps you've taken or calories you've burned.

Compare that with the one button push on either the Fuel Band or the Fit Bit and I just don't know what Jawbone was thinking. If the band was BT and you could sync wirelessly I'd be OK with it, but as-is it feels so late 20th century. These types of devices, minimum, need to have either a read out on device or BT syncing so you can get an instant read out on your phone.

Related to that, all the features have to be set inside the app which means if you want to activate power sleep you have to take the band off to set it. Again, lots of work that should be built into the band.

As far as usage, the step count is slightly better than the Fuel Band. It counted approx 300 more steps. I also liked how it tracked "idle time," something the Fuel Band doesn't too. Also it differentiates idle calorie burn -- the calories you burn just for being alive vs the active ones you burn exercising. But the active calorie counter was way off compared to what my elliptical read. 30 min going 70 rmp on mid-level resistance (10 out of 20) and the Jawbone only gave me 260 calories. My machine said it was 320.

The sleep feature works as well as the fit bit with more comfortable feel. But I'm not really sure what I'm suppose to do with the information.

niuniu
Nov 16, 2012, 08:15 AM
The UP's inability to wirelessly sync has just killed off my hope for this product.

I'm freakish, I would be checking my calories burned every hour. No way I want to take it off and on again to check that regularly. :(

Some people just can't do the simple stuff right in design..

cerote
Nov 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
I got in contact with support and canceled my order. They said they were not planning to ship any orders made on the 13th till the 20th. I am just gonna hit one of the 5 Apple stores we have here this weekend.

BTW the support was very nice about it. Told them I am still buying their product just via different method.

cerote
Nov 17, 2012, 09:23 PM
Got to the apple store and asked the front person just as I walked in if they had any Jawbone UP bands. He said no and they haven't got any in. I say ok then walk past him and bam right on the rack there was a full row of them in two colors.

grapes911
Nov 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
Got to the apple store and asked the front person just as I walked in if they had any Jawbone UP bands. He said no and they haven't got any in. I say ok then walk past him and bam right on the rack there was a full row of them in two colors.

I think a lot of sales people are getting confused between the old version and the new version.

bearda
Nov 18, 2012, 02:41 PM

I've had one for a little over the week and like it so far. My wife likes it even more now that she isn't woken up by my alarm clock every morning.

cerote
Nov 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
I did a power nap and it felt great even if I only got 14 minutes of sleep.

Side note as a sort of out there question. Did those saying accuracy is off calibrate it in the settings? I did mine last night and the activity I did was .2 miles for the calibration but the band said .3. So I calibrated it and adjusted it and then tried .407 and it read as .4. So was better.

dacreativeguy
Nov 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
One reason I might use a "gimmicky gizmo" would be to make it more enjoyable to exercise. If I like using the product that encourages me to exercise, I start to enjoy getting out and exercise. Not everyone needs a gimmick to exercise, but then again, not everyone needs an iPhone to place phone calls...

Exactly! I want to exercise, but it isn't enjoyable in itself for me. If I can bring 'toys' along to make it more interesting, then I will exercise more and it is money well spent.

dacreativeguy
Nov 18, 2012, 09:12 PM

Yeah, they JUST got them and none of the employees are familiar with them yet. But remember, this is just one out of hundreds of products Apple sells. At the store I went to, it wasn't even at eye level (was hanging about 7 feet up, above the fuel and fitbit), so it will take time for the blue shirts to discover them. Just ask them to check the inventory and be patient. They all have iPods with inventory checkers so it isn't that big a deal.

Deadp1xel
Nov 18, 2012, 11:26 PM

Where did you get yours? Are you in the US?

Quotenfrau
Nov 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
is Jawbone UP2 also available with local app? No cloud?

cerote
Nov 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
is Jawbone UP2 also available with local app? No cloud?

I guess I don't fully understand the question.

Other note: I have been using the smart alarm for a week now and I can say it works very well. Have woke up and not felt tired shortly after. I have not used my normal alarm since. I am always up before it even goes off and feel wide awake.

Quotenfrau
Nov 29, 2012, 05:53 AM
I guess I don't fully understand the question.

do I need to get a web account for Jawbone UP2 product? Is my data online only?

cerote
Nov 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
do I need to get a web account for Jawbone UP2 product? Is my data online only?

The app makes you sign up within the app. The data is stored online some I believe because my info shows up on my "team" that I have with my wife so we can see each other's info/stats. I have not turned off connectivity to see if you can still just use in app storage.

likemyorbs
Dec 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
I got the new UP 2.0, it's amazing and all of the issues are fixed.

tl01
Dec 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
I got my Up for Christmas and love it so far! The only thing I don't like is how it snags on things but I hardly notice it is on my wrist anymore. Also, I am not at all bothered by having to connect it to my phone to sync. It's nice that it stores the info and inputs it when I connect. I don't need the info at every moment of the day and if I want to see my activity it takes 10 seconds to connect.

I love the sleep monitoring and the smart alarm. Those are what sold on it!

wharzhee
Dec 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'd love to grab this. but I don't know why I would want one.

mlblacy
Jan 9, 2013, 07:42 PM
I have had one for a little over a month now. I hesitated because of the disastrous first gen release. Out of all the devices the Up is the only one I would not be embarrassed to wear. It is a lot less clunky looking and "almost" looks like an odd piece of jewelry, but slim enough to shove under your shirt cuff. Syncing manually is a non-issue, and no painless (takes seconds). I usually sync 1-3 times a day. Battery life is about 10 days fully charged. I wanted something to force me to move more and be more active, and it is working. I love the sleep tracking, even if the numbers are occasionally depressing. The smart alarm is one of my favorite features, and the power nap one is great as well. I haven't bothered to delve into the food tracking yet, as that was not was I was looking for.

I am not upset by the lack of wireless syncing. Bluetooth is buggy, and a battery eater. Zero issues with the cap, it fits snugly. I do not shower with it, other than that I am wearing it. I always have my phone with me, so it is no big deal to sync on the fly if I want a status update. No regrets, it was a great buy for me.

TWO2SEVEN
Jan 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Thinking about picking one of these up with some Best Buy store credit. Anyone else have some experience with the 2.0?

Thanks!

thujjku
Jan 30, 2013, 06:53 PM
I used a FitBit for a while; the only thing I didn't really like about it was that if I was rushing and changed clothes quickly and ran out the door to the gym (as I'm often running late for) I would forget it in my pants pocket. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SBlue1
Sep 28, 2013, 02:56 PM
I was a happy UP 2 user for 8 weeks. It was a great thing and helped me to loose 12 pounds in those 8 weeks and become more active. I have to say it is kind of addictive. Its fun to see how much you walk. Sometimes it motivates you to take a longer way. :) I used it to feed my MyFitnessPal app with my daily activity data together with my other bike and workout apps.

But then the band just suddenly stopped working some 6 weeks ago. It could not hold its charge for more than one hour. It became useless. The Jawbone support is a joke. They seem not to read the incoming emails. They replied to my mail with a standard email to try to reboot the band. I sent my mail again and then they tried to solve my problem. After we figured out it was a hardware problem with its battery the support asked me to go to the nearest Apple Store to get a replacement since I bought the band from Apples online store. At the store the guys told me I have to send the band to Jawbone. So I called the support beeing tired of all those emails. The support dude told me he will finally send my a replacement.

After a week I asked by mail where my replacement band is? Two days later they said there was an error with the ticket, they will send a new band soon.

Another week later and still no replacement band here. So I called again. The guy said I need to go to Apple for a replacement. WTF?! After a long conversation he said he can not find me in the system. I need to mail everything again together with a pdf of my order. I did it and four days later got an email confirming a replacement is on its was.

This was two weeks ago. Yesterday I called again to see where my new band is. The guy apologized and said the blue bands are all sold out and they have no idea when a new blue band will be available. Maybe in a month or two. So I picked the only color available which was black.

Lets see if I will ever get a replacement band.

But yeah, besides all of this, the band was great. :D

Edit: Oh sorry didnt see this is an old thread.

heelsbigc
Sep 28, 2013, 09:00 PM
I had a somewhat similar experience. I got the same email about rebooting the band. I immediately replied to them that the problem persisted and within 24 hours they sent me a shipping confirmation for a new band. They didn't however tell me what color band. I'm replacing a blue one and assumed the replacement would also be blue. It's scheduled to be here Monday. Im going to be kind of pissed if they send me a black band.