Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I was wondering has anyone had experience with these two ram manufacturers and or parts? I was looking around locally for ram and found these both 179 cnd.
are they any good?

Micron Original 1GB PC2700 DDR
Part No: MT16VDDF12864HG-335

Kingston 1GB PC2700 DDR
Part No: KVR333X64SC25/1G

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
galstaph said:
I was wondering has anyone had experience with these two ram manufacturers and or parts? I was looking around locally for ram and found these both 179 cnd.
are they any good?

Micron Original 1GB PC2700 DDR
Part No: MT16VDDF12864HG-335

Kingston 1GB PC2700 DDR
Part No: KVR333X64SC25/1G

;) IMHO, Go with the Micron. Never had problems with them.

Kingston...bit over-priced.....My personal experience! :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I have not had any experience with either of the two stated manufacturers.

Personally, I recommend Crucial for RAM. I just bought 1GB from them for my Power Mac G5 and so far so good.

Either way you go you should be fine, the key thing is just going and adding more RAM- smart choice! :)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I went with Samsung 1 GB Ram through OWC. Somehow I had to pay taxes if I buy from Microns. So, I went witih OWC. My iBook is now fully loaded to 1.5 GB Ram and I immediately noticed the speed boost. But, if your choice are only Crucial/Micron or Kingston, I would go with Crucial. My AL 15" PB has the crucial sticks (1.5 GB) and it is working flawlessly.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but can anyone tell me the criterial for iBook ram. I'm looking into purchasing 1 gb as well.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The important question is whether the RAM has been tested and is guaranteed compatible with the iBook?

The KVR333 RAM has not -- this is Kingston's generic PC part.
The Micron we don't know, because Micron does not sell direct, they are an OEM, so they do not guarantee compatibility with anything, it's up to the reseller to do so.
Same situation with the AZen RAM, this is a generic chip.

The problem is that the chip organization must be correct and the Serial Presence Detect settings on the module must be set correctly for the iBook.

Peter: iBook G4s take PC2100 if they are pre-latest version. The 1.42 MHz and the new 12" 1.33 take PC2700. iBook G3s take PC133 or PC100 SDRAM.

But: The specification alone is nowhere near enough to determine compatibility. I recommend purchasing from a dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.