Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottk012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
I have a late 2010 macbook air. I wiped the ssd and had apple reinstall lion and mountain lion after I purchased it. I did a partial time machine restore, meaning both times I tried to restore from the external, the process froze at less than a min remaining and did nothing for like 40 minutes until I turned the computer off. I then powered it back up and went through the welcome screens and created a user..after it all powered up I realized it had imported my user from my other computer and all the settings, docs, files, etc. I now have two users and I want to delete one, but every time I try to through system preferences-user accounts, the rainbow beach ball comes up and does NOTHING. Any help????

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Here is what I would do to clean this up.

Create a new user called temp or whatever... we will delete this user when finished. Make the new temp user an admin account.

Now restart the computer and login to the temp account and delete BOTH the other accounts and delete all contents of them when prompted.

No start the Migration Assistant from the tempo account and point that to your Time Machine backup to bring back the old accounts and data.

Once that is done logout of the temp account and back into your personal account that should be present from the Migration Assist. Confirm everything is working okay then delete the temp account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.