PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Nexus 4 owners/discussion thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Time to start afresh with Nexus 4 discussion (at the behest of jsw (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16292989&postcount=1143) in the other thread.

My initial impressions are positive. The device feels great in the hand but I do feel I'll baby it far more than I did my Galaxy Nexus due to the use of glass. A bumper/case is likely to be a must for me.

Very pleased with the HSPA+ speeds, getting 15 meg on the same network (Three UK) compared to just under 5 meg on my Galaxy Nexus.

A quick Geekbench yielded the following:
Nexus 7 1412
Galaxy Nexus 993
Nexus 4 1750

Will post more as I get to grips with it and hopefully others will join in too once they get their hands on it.

My only initial bug is the colour saturation on SAMOLED is far higher and after years of owning AMOLED phones, it could take a little getting used to. (Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S III have all burned my retinas with SAMOLED saturation).

Pleased thus far, I must say.

Oohara
Nov 14, 2012, 07:00 AM
How does the color saturation compare to that of the iPhone?

zbarvian
Nov 14, 2012, 07:01 AM
That GeekBench score seems kinda low for a 1.5 GHz quad-core S4 Pro. Does the phone get hot?

mattopotamus
Nov 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
That GeekBench score seems kinda low for a 1.5 GHz quad-core S4 Pro. Does the phone get hot?

I actually think those scores are way better than the reviews....makes me think their phones were very incomplete versions.

nba1341
Nov 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
Did you get an official bumper?

zbarvian
Nov 14, 2012, 07:22 AM
I actually think those scores are way better than the reviews....makes me think their phones were very incomplete versions.

I thought some reviewers were getting 2100s, no?

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
How does the color saturation compare to that of the iPhone?

Colours are very similar but the LG seems a lot cooler than my iPhone 4 which has yellower whites wheres the LG is bluer (see attached pic).

EDIT: initially, I'd say the iPhone 4 has the edge but that may be down to the way I'm used to seeing Android over-saturated on the SAMOLED HD screen. :)

I've not done anything too taxing on it yet but once I get some games on there I'll see how much it heats up during gameplay. I couldn't comment on the Geekbench scores myself but the phone seems fast enough in use.

I really need to install a taxing game on it to see how it fares (will download NOVA3 next).

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Did you get an official bumper?

Not yet. I am likely to order one though.

cynics
Nov 14, 2012, 08:21 AM
Keep us updated with battery life once the honeymoon wears off and you are using it normally.

3bs
Nov 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm worried it's going to take a bit of time to adjust from my GS3 to the Nexus 4 but I'm sure I'll get over it :p

Oh and congrats on getting yours!

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Keep us updated with battery life once the honeymoon wears off and you are using it normally.

I'll be sure to! :D By going N4 I have given up my Galaxy Nexus with it's extended battery so I'm hoping it's at least on par with that.

I'm worried it's going to take a bit of time to adjust from my GS3 to the Nexus 4 but I'm sure I'll get over it :p

Oh and congrats on getting yours!

Thanks. I did like the GSIII but I do love stock Android with swift updates but Samsung do add some nice stuff (especially with the camera). That I did miss going back to a Galaxy Nexus.

Just tested NOVA3 on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 and it seems that Gameloft have optimised it for the Snapdragon chipset with more visual effects. Screenies below. :D

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 08:57 AM
Congrats. That was quick.

More pics and more impressions, please, especially with battery life! :D How's 4.2 on the device? Any lag or noticeable delay in touch response?

dalbir4444
Nov 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
What are your impressions of the camera picture and video quality. Do the videos shot using the camera have dropped frames?

nickchallis92
Nov 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
I really want a nexus 4 but I'm scared about using a phone which doesn't have an amoled screen! I simply LOVE the deep blacks

Tinmania
Nov 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
Colours are very similar but the LG seems a lot cooler than my iPhone 4 which has yellower whites wheres the LG is bluer (see attached pic).
I can't believe the screen size difference. And that is with the on-screen nav buttons--which I hope to remove at some point. Wow!

Michael

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
What are your impressions of the camera picture and video quality. Do the videos shot using the camera have dropped frames?

Not done any vids yet but the camera seems decent enough with pictures.

Just did a couple of quick snaps outside with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 and the macro shots are far better better (see the brick pictures attaches). The second pic is a photo of each phone taken with each other.

I'll go somewhere more photogenic this weekend hopefully to grab some snaps and videos with both handsets to see how they fare.

Macro bricks taken with Galaxy Nexus. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/BrickGN.jpg)
Macro bricks taken with Nexus4 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/BrickN4.jpg)
Photo of Nexus4 taken with Galaxy Nexus (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/PhoneN4.jpg)
Photo of Galaxy Nexus taken with Nexus4 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/PhoneGN.jpg)

Ericcc
Nov 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
How is the output quality from the 3.5mm jack compared to an iPhone or Galaxy Nexus?

Congrats! Very envious lol.

dalbir4444
Nov 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Not done any vids yet but the camera seems decent enough with pictures.

Just did a couple of quick snaps outside with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 and the macro shots are far better better (see the brick pictures attaches). The second pic is a photo of each phone taken with each other.

I'll go somewhere more photogenic this weekend hopefully to grab some snaps and videos with both handsets to see how they fare.

Macro bricks taken with Galaxy Nexus. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/BrickGN.jpg)
Macro bricks taken with Nexus4 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/BrickN4.jpg)
Photo of Nexus4 taken with Galaxy Nexus (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/PhoneN4.jpg)
Photo of Galaxy Nexus taken with Nexus4 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/PhoneGN.jpg)

Thanks a lot! Do you know if the phone supports USB OTG and/or MHL?

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
How is the output quality from the 3.5mm jack compared to an iPhone or Galaxy Nexus?

Congrats! Very envious lol.

Out of my three phones, the iPhone is the loudest (with very high treble at the peaks it seems to me at least) the Galaxy Nexus is also very loud with some tinniness. The Nexus 4 sounds slightly quieter with less treble.

More than adequate for my listening needs. :)

I've just noticed that Google music has updated a lot of my album art with high resolution artwork too.

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM

I haven't got an otg cable sadly so I can't test. I believe Google have added support for Miracast for wireless video out alongside using slim port for wired video out.

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
How's the back speaker? Please tell me louder than the GN?

You're in a great position to compare GN to Nexus 4 for those of us that are coming from the GN. Much appreciated.

Dr McKay
Nov 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
To everyone in this thread who managed to get one, I'm jealous of all of you. I managed to get the Nexus 4 in my cart 5 times, only to have it snatched away from me. :(

dalbir4444
Nov 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
If you are using Chrome, you might want to install the addon Page Monitor. You can use it to monitor the Nexus 4 page for any changes. I haven't tried it before but it's better than visiting the website every hour or so.

aziatiklover
Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
So it is as fast as the iphone 5 with a quad core cpu? I trid to order it, but was too late!

Ericcc
Nov 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Out of my three phones, the iPhone is the loudest (with very high treble at the peaks it seems to me at least) the Galaxy Nexus is also very loud with some tinniness. The Nexus 4 sounds slightly quieter with less treble.

More than adequate for my listening needs. :)

I've just noticed that Google music has updated a lot of my album art with high resolution artwork too.

Thanks!

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
How's the back speaker? Please tell me louder than the GN?

You're in a great position to compare GN to Nexus 4 for those of us that are coming from the GN. Much appreciated.

Ever so slightly louder from what I'm hearing but that flat back looks like it has some serious muffling potential. :(

Oletros
Nov 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Ever so slightly louder from what I'm hearing but that flat back looks like it has some serious muffling potential. :(

A bumper can help with that

Ericcc
Nov 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
To everyone in this thread who managed to get one, I'm jealous of all of you. I managed to get the Nexus 4 in my cart 5 times, only to have it snatched away from me. :(

Cheer up, we'll get ours soon enough. I've had mine in the choose delivery address / payment page, but the final BUY button didn't finish loading -.- I'm in no hurry. Just want to get one in the upcoming months.

mattopotamus
Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cheer up, we'll get ours soon enough. I've had mine in the choose delivery address / payment page, but the final BUY button didn't finish loading -.- I'm in no hurry. Just want to get one in the upcoming months.

I wish I could be like you. I have that, "I need it now" mentality, and it makes me obsessive haha.

Tinmania
Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
I wish I could be like you. I have that, "I need it now" mentality, and it makes me obsessive haha.

Welcome to my world. I just went out and looked at the LG Optimus G, the phone the Nexus 4 is based on, to at least have "some" kind of contact with the thing.

Actually I am very tempted by the Optimus G. For $200--with 2 year contract extension--I get the 16GB model with a memory slot and LTE. AND I would get full use of the LCD as it has separate capacitive nav buttons. Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?

Mike

jsw
Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?
Well, you're giving up total Android purity, but I doubt it's a huge issue for most. On the other hand, total Android purity is a driving factor in my desire for the N4, so maybe it matters to you as well.

The contract extension isn't a big deal if you'd likely stay on the same carrier anyway.

Marco123
Nov 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
Chaz the phone looks great, hard to believe what they're selling it for unlocked.
How fast does the phone seem and how does the quality feel?
Thanks.

Tinmania
Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Well, you're giving up total Android purity, but I doubt it's a huge issue for most. On the other hand, total Android purity is a driving factor in my desire for the N4, so maybe it matters to you as well.

The contract extension isn't a big deal if you'd likely stay on the same carrier anyway.
Yea I think the purity was a factor in my Nexus 4 interest. And after dealing with longer and longer times waiting for a jailbreak on my iOS stuff I don't think I want to deal with encrypted bootloaders or whatnot with a carrier modified/crapified device.

Plus I want updates when Google releases them. Not a vague promise.

Michael

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Chaz the phone looks great, hard to believe what they're selling it for unlocked.
How fast does the phone seem and how does the quality feel?
Thanks.

Feels very nice in the hand. The materials around the bezel give a good grip to the phone but it is very slippery when placed on a material surface. My iPhone is always sliding off the arm of my chair and I can see this suffering the same problem.

Speed wise, no issues yet. Tested a few games and all was well. It does get warm when in use when charging though.

No glaring faults popping out at me just yet! :D

Tinmania
Nov 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
In other news you would think I just signed on to the Communist Party the way some of my friends are treating me. I have always been the go-to guy for anything Apple and they just can't imagine me getting an Android device. Not only my friends, but even my girlfriend's friends are using the "T" word about me (traitor). Oh well. :)

Michael

mattopotamus
Nov 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
In other news you would think I just signed on to the Communist Party the way some of my friends are treating me. I have always been the go-to guy for anything Apple and they just can't imagine me getting an Android device. Not only my friends, but even my girlfriend's friends are using the "T" word about me (traitor). Oh well. :)

Michael

Same here haha. A few of my friends "you will go back to apple"

jsw
Nov 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ah, but we're doing it purely out of love for Apple.

Without competition, Apple will stagnate. By buying and promoting Android products from Google, we help Google to compete with Apple, thus helping Apple.

It is a thankless task we do, but do it we must.

Tinmania
Nov 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Same here haha. A few of my friends "you will go back to apple"
I got and get that too. I had and have to remind them that I DO still use a mac for work, plus several other macs personally including a mb air--and an iPad and Apple TV. But because I might no longer be using an iPhone I have given Apple the finger lol.

Michael

----------

Ah, but we're doing it purely out of love for Apple.

Without competition, Apple will stagnate. By buying and promoting Android products from Google, we help Google to compete with Apple, thus helping Apple.

It is a thankless task we do, but do it we must.
I am going to steal some of this for my rebuttals.

Michael

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 PM
Trivial question, but how's the 5 rows of icons in the App drawer? Looks a bit cramped...?

3bs
Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 PM

Michael

Same here but people still come to me for an iPhone charger so I actually still carry one with me :p

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
Trivial question, but how's the 5 rows of icons in the App drawer? Looks a bit cramped...?

It does make things look slightly busier but I didn't even notice the extra column of icons until a couple of hours into using it. There is a lot less black space between the icons but it's just as usable. :)

rrl
Nov 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
Some of you people could use some new friends. They sound like douchers full of douchebaggery.

Vitrum
Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Any comments regarding wireless charging ?

inselstudent
Nov 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
IMO the speakers and the camera are worse than my those of my iPhone 4. Other than that the phone is awesome. First time android for me...

3bs
Nov 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
Any comments regarding wireless charging ?

The orbs haven't started being sold and we don't even know their price yet.

Vitrum
Nov 14, 2012, 01:49 PM

Do you know about other wireless charging "docks" ? Or nexus 4 will only work with the orbs.

jsw
Nov 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
True, but any Qi charger should work.

----------

Do you know about other wireless charging "docks" ? Or nexus 4 will only work with the orbs.
There have been reviews using other Qi chargers without issue. I think the orb will look cool, but it's not required.

mattopotamus
Nov 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
True, but any Qi charger should work.

----------

There have been reviews using other Qi chargers without issue. I think the orb will look cool, but it's not required.

yeah, this is one I saw used in a review. It has poor amazon ratings b.c people are complaining about having to have a case on their phone. The nexus has that feature built in, so a case is not needed. Oh, and the fact is is ugly as sin

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Qi-Enabled-Position-Inductive-Charger/dp/B0041RRORA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352922979&sr=8-1&keywords=qi+charging+pad

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Not sure I'll be bothering about the conductive charging at all really. If something comes cheap enough that works maybe I will.

Faux Carnival
Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
Can you make a Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 browser speed test video? 10 heavy websites on the same wi-fi network.

Interestingly, I wasn't able to find one on Youtube. Thanks!

cynics
Nov 14, 2012, 02:04 PM

Unfortunately I don't think so. It uses slimport which is basically the same thing. You'll need an adaptor if the TV doesn't support it or just plug it in if it is supported. I don't know what TV's are compatible with Slimport.

Vitrum
Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 PM
yeah, this is one I saw used in a review. It has poor amazon ratings b.c people are complaining about having to have a case on their phone. The nexus has that feature built in, so a case is not needed. Oh, and the fact is is ugly as sin

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Qi-Enabled-Position-Inductive-Charger/dp/B0041RRORA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352922979&sr=8-1&keywords=qi+charging+pad

Lol that charger sure is disgusting !

mattopotamus
Nov 14, 2012, 02:28 PM

yeah, is it a charger or a yoga mat.

cynics
Nov 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
Welcome to my world. I just went out and looked at the LG Optimus G, the phone the Nexus 4 is based on, to at least have "some" kind of contact with the thing.

Actually I am very tempted by the Optimus G. For $200--with 2 year contract extension--I get the 16GB model with a memory slot and LTE. AND I would get full use of the LCD as it has separate capacitive nav buttons. Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?

Mike

IMO the MAIN thing the N4 has going for it is pure Android and a huge dev community. If I had to choose I'd get the S3 before the Optimus G.

I'll NEVER buy a none Nexus Android device.

Oletros
Nov 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
IMO the MAIN thing the N4 has going for it is pure Android and a huge dev community. If I had to choose I'd get the S3 before the Optimus G.

Optimus G has a locked bootloader, Samsung devices are more dev community friendly

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
Handled one today. The device is really nice.

Dat front panel.

jsw
Nov 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Come, now. Once we've left the Apple fold, it is assumed we no longer can discern design beauty or lack thereof.

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
Handled one today. The device is really nice.

Dat front panel.

Easily the best Nexus handset yet. Nexus One comes in second for me.

I think Google did the right thing moving from Samsung this time. I can't say Samsung have ever let me down though.

This is my first LG handset too. What a time top give them a try. :D

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
I love how the edge of the screen tapers off. The device feels really good in the hand. I'm happy there's no more hump-bump on the back.

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
Can you make a Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 browser speed test video? 10 heavy websites on the same wi-fi network.

Interestingly, I wasn't able to find one on Youtube. Thanks!

Definitely interested in seeing that one but I don't have an iPhone 5 to hand and a vs video against a iPhone 4 would be totally unfair. :p

Hopefully one of our iPhone 5 owning friends can enlighten us.

Sensamic
Nov 14, 2012, 03:10 PM
What are your first impressions of the nexus 4 against the SGS3? Do you feel it's worth the change?

It's the screen better than amoled? I normally consider IPS better because of whites and higher brightness. How good is the max brightness compared to the SGS3 and iPhone 4?

And how at you doing with storage? Are you finding 13GB too little or enough?

Oh oh! And how about overall smoothness and speed? On the SGS3 I get lag sometimes. Is it more smoother than the SGS3 or just a little bit?

Thanks and congrats :D:D

inselstudent
Nov 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
Anyone else experiencing issues with screen responsiveness? I've just had it that the screen wouldn't respond in the lower right corner. I could neither use that area to pan around on a website nor could I click on an app icon there. A restart resolved the issue but still, not what I expect from a brand new ddvice...

And is anyone else's charger making a faint buzzing noise when plugged into a power socket?

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
What are your first impressions of the nexus 4 against the SGS3? Do you feel it's worth the change?

It's the screen better than amoled? I normally consider IPS better because of whites and higher brightness. How good is the max brightness compared to the SGS3 and iPhone 4?

And how at you doing with storage? Are you finding 13GB too little or enough?

Oh oh! And how about overall smoothness and speed? On the SGS3 I get lag sometimes. Is it more smoother than the SGS3 or just a little bit?

Thanks and congrats :D:D
Very difficult to say about the S3. I had the Exynos quad core model which was a beast in itself.

I'm so used to SAMOLED now the IPS screen on both my iPhone 4 and Nexus 4 do seem dimmer when it comes to colour saturation.

I managed with the 16GB Galaxy Nexus fine and have all my apps on my 32GB Nexus 4 so anything missing on my Nexus is on my tablet anyway.

As for speed, JelleyBean on my wife's S3 isn't at all bad and but the pure build of Android on the Nexus 4 does run great on the phone.

Very hard to say what to do with an S3 owner as we're probably only a few months away from the next Galaxy flagship which should be another big leap in hardware I'd hope.

Anyone else experiencing issues with screen responsiveness? I've just had it that the screen wouldn't respond in the lower right corner. I could neither use that area to pan around on a website nor could I click on an app icon there. A restart resolved the issue but still, not what I expect from a brand new ddvice...

And is anyone else's charger making a faint buzzing noise when plugged into a power socket?

Nothing wrong with the touch screen yet. I've not used the plug which came with the phone yet as I have so many of them spare indoors I never bother opening them.

I have a UK plug if you want me to pop it out of the box for a quick test?

phobox
Nov 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'd also be interested in the performance of the N4 because I too get lag on my SGS3, which for me is incredibly annoying. If an N4 can beat the S3 in day to day usage and has a camera at least as good as the S3, then Im in. Only downside is the lack of SD slot, but hey I'll find a way to live with it. I did for years with my iphone.

inselstudent
Nov 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have a UK plug if you want me to pop it out of the box for a quick test?

Nah thanks, it's not a big deal, really. And it seems to stop after being plugged in for a couple of minutes anyway.

As for the screen issue, I activated developer tools by hitting on the build number in settings->about the phone for seven times or so (not sure what it's called in English, have set my phone to German atm). Then I enabled the option to show touch input and there's nothing wrong with the lower right corner of my phone now... Maybe it's software related.

ChazUK
Nov 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Nah thanks, it's not a big deal, really. And it seems to stop after being plugged in for a couple of minutes anyway.

As for the screen issue, I activated developer tools by hitting on the build number in settings->about the phone for seven times or so (not sure what it's called in English, have set my phone to German atm). Then I enabled the option to show touch input and there's nothing wrong with the lower right corner of my phone now... Maybe it's software related.

Hoping it was a one off but if I do encounter similar issues I'll be sure to post here!

Vitrum
Nov 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Im having major issues with my nexus 4 :( ........ Still not shipped :D

strausd
Nov 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
So whatever happened to these things supposedly shipping the day you order it? Because its been more than 24 hours and still nothing...

mattopotamus
Nov 14, 2012, 06:28 PM
So whatever happened to these things supposedly shipping the day you order it? Because its been more than 24 hours and still nothing...

Would be nice if they were shipped but didn't update us. They will probably ship out tonight though or early in the Morning and we won't get them till monday

strausd
Nov 14, 2012, 07:06 PM
Would be nice if they were shipped but didn't update us. They will probably ship out tonight though or early in the Morning and we won't get them till monday

Ya I am starting to think we won't get them until Monday, which sucks because I leave on Monday.

Tinmania
Nov 14, 2012, 09:26 PM

Yea I'm already over my Optimus G temporary temptation. Just wish my N4 had shipped! :)

Michael

Vegastouch
Nov 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
Im reading some posts in Android Central that some people are having issues after updating their N4 to JB 4.2 For example, one said he lost NFC, another said it wont dial out now. Looks like there will be another update coming soon and they didnt get all the bugs out.....and this is why im waiting.

That and i think id rather see if a 32GB version will be announced soon. My GS3 is going to get updated to Jelly Bean any day now since TMobile has announced they are rolling out OTA's starting today so ill be ok waiting later for a N4....though i am looking forward to getting one. Ill check one out in TMo stores this weekend.

EDIT.. Update, just installed JB on my GS3 via Kies :)

map1978
Nov 14, 2012, 10:42 PM
A must watch N4 video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ylE3AUlQi0

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Need more impressions of battery life when y'all can, please. :)

----------

A must watch N4 video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ylE3AUlQi0

The "F5!" was right on the money, both times. lol. The LTE moment was good too.

This one is really well done.

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 12:24 AM
I think this is best case scenario over 3g as it was around 6am when tested but I just hit 20meg over 3g.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/291830843.png

Still super impressed with the phone. :)

strausd
Nov 15, 2012, 01:09 AM
The "F5!" was right on the money, both times. lol. The LTE moment was good too.

This one is really well done.
So funny!

inselstudent
Nov 15, 2012, 02:13 AM
Need more impressions of battery life when y'all can, please. :)

I'm not at all impressed with battery life so far. This morning I plugged my nexus off and after 30 minutes when I looked at it, it was down to 95% without any active task, screen off etc.
Yesterday when I got the device at 12 am, it had an initial charge of about 50%. About 2 hours or so later I had to plug it in - that was with heavy use I guess. Didn't really use the device until the evening and it was down to 50% again at 10 pm.
That's only my first impression though.

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 03:31 AM
I'm not at all impressed with battery life so far. This morning I plugged my nexus off and after 30 minutes when I looked at it, it was down to 95% without any active task, screen off etc.
Yesterday when I got the device at 12 am, it had an initial charge of about 50%. About 2 hours or so later I had to plug it in - that was with heavy use I guess. Didn't really use the device until the evening and it was down to 50% again at 10 pm.
That's only my first impression though.

Seems very power hungry to me too.

iPhone 4 unplugged at the same time as my N4, iPhone has 88% left, the N4 is on 74%. My Galaxy Nexus on the extended battery used to regularly outdo my iPhone 4 too so I hope something improves over a few charge cycles! :(

Tinmania
Nov 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
Got my shipping notice email 2:30am. Still not showing in UPS's system though.

Hope it shipped next day!

Anyone else get it to show up in UPS yet?

Michael

mattopotamus
Nov 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
Got my shipping notice email 2:30am. Still not showing in UPS's system though.

Hope it shipped next day!

Anyone else get it to show up in UPS yet?

Michael

I still have not gotten a shipping notice =/

does the email say where it shipped from?

edit:

For those of you with at&t, will I have to add any APN settings to get MMS?

Tinmania
Nov 15, 2012, 07:08 AM
I still have not gotten a shipping notice =/

does the email say where it shipped from?

edit:

For those of you with at&t, will I have to add any APN settings to get MMS?

Nope, just said it was shipped and included tracking number--which is not showing up as valid at UPS yet.

"Thank you.
Great news! Your order on Google Play has shipped. Track the status of your package UPS #1Z7XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Note that it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.

Order number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Order date: Nov 13, 2012 10:06:10 AM MST
Payment method: AMEX xxx-1000"

Michael

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 15, 2012, 07:22 AM
Nope, just said it was shipped and included tracking number--which is not showing up as valid at UPS yet.

"Thank you.
Great news! Your order on Google Play has shipped. Track the status of your package UPS #1Z7XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Note that it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.

Order number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Order date: Nov 13, 2012 10:06:10 AM MST
Payment method: AMEX xxx-1000"

Michael

Lucky....no email here. I did make it to t mobile though and I was really impressed with the phone so far.

Tinmania
Nov 15, 2012, 07:26 AM
Lucky....no email here. I did make it to t mobile though and I was really impressed with the phone so far.

From other forums seems tracking numbers still trickling in. You might get it soon.

Mike

Vitrum
Nov 15, 2012, 07:26 AM
No shipping email for me yet

mattopotamus
Nov 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
a few people on android central got their phones and their order still shows "shipping november 15" and they never got a shipping notice.....wouldn't that be awesome.

Vitrum
Nov 15, 2012, 07:32 AM
a few people on android central got their phones and their order still shows "shipping november 15" and they never got a shipping notice.....wouldn't that be awesome.

Not for me :eek: i use a forward company with a florida addres, without the tracking number it might be stuck there and i cant notify i have a package waiting lol

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hoping this improves. :o

Vitrum
Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Hoping this improves. :o

Dont know nothing about android battery status etc, is that picture something good or bad ?

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Dont know nothing about android battery status etc, is that picture something good or bad ?

I was getting much better battery on my Galaxy Nexus with extended battery (2100MAH).

Hoping for some improvement really after a few charge cycles.

daveathall
Nov 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
Is your phone unlocked Chaz please?

Must admit that I'm tempted to go to O2 and pay the 120 quid extra for the phone but don't want it locked (I have an O2 account but don't want to wait for them to do the updates) I know you got yours from CPW.

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 11:46 AM
Is your phone unlocked Chaz please?

Must admit that I'm tempted to go to O2 and pay the 120 quid extra for the phone but don't want it locked (I have an O2 account but don't want to wait for them to do the updates) I know you got yours from CPW.

All nexus GSM handsets are sim unlocked so you should be fine to go. :D

daveathall
Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 AM

Thank you kindly.:)

mattopotamus
Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
is that usage time or stand by time? If it is stand by time...how much usage time do you have?

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
is that usage time or stand by time? If it is stand by time...how much usage time do you have?

I'm in the middle of a charge cycle now so I'll give it another check tomorrow after a full day's use.

inselstudent
Nov 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'm in the middle of a charge cycle now so I'll give it another check tomorrow after a full day's use.

Do you have location services enabled? I do and Maps seems to be running in the background all the time, even after force-stopping it. Well, besides, my battery seems yo run out much faster than yours. Do you have any other tips on hoe to save battery life for an Android first timer?(:

ChazUK
Nov 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Do you have location services enabled? I do and Maps seems to be running in the background all the time, even after force-stopping it. Well, besides, my battery seems yo run out much faster than yours. Do you have any other tips on hoe to save battery life for an Android first timer?(:

When I'm out and about about I have WiFi off, GPS off (cell triangulation still works) auto brightness on. Screen timeout was 2 mins by default so I've set that to 30 seconds.

Will look though my n4 tomorrow in case I've missed anything off. :)

daveathall
Nov 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Just got one from the O2 shop in Middlesbrough, just setting it up now.

Dr McKay
Nov 16, 2012, 08:57 AM
Just got one from the O2 shop in Middlesbrough, just setting it up now.

Im thinking about buying a Pay as you Go O2 one. Is it carrier locked? Does it have O2 stamped on it?

If it is locked can I have it unlocked?

daveathall
Nov 16, 2012, 09:05 AM
Im thinking about buying a Pay as you Go O2 one. Is it carrier locked? Does it have O2 stamped on it?

If it is locked can I have it unlocked?

I asked the same question before I bought the phone

Thanks to Chaz, I bought the phone, it seems he is indeed correct. When powering up the phone it says "Google" rather than "O2" so I presume it is unlocked.

onthecouchagain
Nov 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
MOAR IMPRESSIONS.

http://img.humorsharing.com/media/images/1207/i_hilarious_moar_pictures_022_501591bd2c4bc.jpg

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
MOAR IMPRESSIONS.

Image (http://img.humorsharing.com/media/images/1207/i_hilarious_moar_pictures_022_501591bd2c4bc.jpg)
I will post as soon as I can, damn it!

onthecouchagain
Nov 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
I will post as soon as I can, damn it!

http://okayface.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/okay-face.jpg

Oohara
Nov 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
MOAR IMPRESSIONS.

Image (http://img.humorsharing.com/media/images/1207/i_hilarious_moar_pictures_022_501591bd2c4bc.jpg)

LOL, one of the best uses of that meme that I've seen :D

In other news, Otterbox say they have no plans for making a case for the N4 which is a big :/ and also a :confused: for me.

Switchback666
Nov 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
I just hope they send me a shipping email next week :D

daveathall
Nov 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
This is my first "Vanilla" Android phone. From the box (IMHO) it is a beautiful device although those with OCD about fingerprints will have a seizure within seconds of handling it, it is a fingerprint magnet, I know, so are most phones, but this just seems to show them more, it feels like it is a quality device, although I found nothing wrong with my S3.

UI seems very slick with no lag that I can tell, screen seems bright and very retina like, I cant see any pixels. Set up, as is now normal with most of these devices is very easy, even for someone as technically challenged as me, bluetooth connected easily first time with my car, wifi in the two different places that I tried, also connected straight away.

I have an S3 as well, I will sell the one I least enjoy in about a month's time.

First impressions are that I like it.

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
MOAR IMPRESSIONS
Well I am home today so here goes. My initial impressions are that not one, but three, UPS trucks have passed my house so far this morning. I was impressed by a vague, yet somewhat noticeable, "feeling" that my N4 was on that second truck. Once again I wish I had bought those spike strips when I had the chance.

Michael

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
Well I am home today so here goes. My initial impressions are that not one, but three, UPS trucks have passed my house so far this morning. I was impressed by a vague, yet somewhat noticeable, "feeling" that my N4 was on that second truck. Once again I wish I had bought those spike strips when I had the chance.

Michael

LOL!! :D More impressions of this experience are welcome. hahah. I have been through this before so I completely understand. Good luck.

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
This is my first "Vanilla" Android phone. From the box (IMHO) it is a beautiful device although those with OCD about fingerprints will have a seizure within seconds of handling it, it is a fingerprint magnet, I know, so are most phones, but this just seems to show them more, it feels like it is a quality device, although I found nothing wrong with my S3.

UI seems very slick with no lag that I can tell, screen seems bright and very retina like, I cant see any pixels. Set up, as is now normal with most of these devices is very easy, even for someone as technically challenged as me, bluetooth connected easily first time with my car, wifi in the two different places that I tried, also connected straight away.

I have an S3 as well, I will sell the one I least enjoy in about a month's time.

First impressions are that I like it.
Excellent! What speeds are you getting on o2? Is it taking advantage of HSPA+?

daveathall
Nov 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
Excellent! What speeds are you getting on o2? Is it taking advantage of HSPA+?

My house is in the wilds of North Yorkshire, so I dream of an O2 signal in my house (said in my best Monty Python Yorkshireman accent) Once I get nearer to some masts/signal I will report back. :)

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Just opened mine, and it's charging now.

First impression: very nice phone and packaging, but not as nice feel-wise and packaging-wise as the iPhone. That said, damned nice for the price, and I can't wait to turn it on.

No, wait, I'll have to wait. Heading over to get a T-mobile SIM to see if I like their coverage. I figure I'll try it for a month and see.

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 10:49 AM

First impression: very nice phone and packaging, but not as nice feel-wise and packaging-wise as the iPhone. That said, damned nice for the price, and I can't wait to turn it on.

No, wait, I'll have to wait. Heading over to get a T-mobile SIM to see if I like their coverage. I figure I'll try it for a month and see.

Lucky you! :)

Mike

spinedoc77
Nov 16, 2012, 12:01 PM

The phone itself doesn't feel as nice as an iphone? I love how my 4s feels, hated the design initially but that industrial, heavy glass feel grew on me and now I get depressed when I hold a plastic phone. But the iphone 5 feels just as cheap to me as a Samsung. I'm hoping the N4 captures the feel of the 4S, that double glass industrial feel.

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
The phone itself doesn't feel as nice as an iphone? I love how my 4s feels, hated the design initially but that industrial, heavy glass feel grew on me and now I get depressed when I hold a plastic phone. But the iphone 5 feels just as cheap to me as a Samsung. I'm hoping the N4 captures the feel of the 4S, that double glass industrial feel.

IMO it when it comes to feel and design, you shouldn't take others word for it. Try it yourself.

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Sorry, just got back from T-mobile (month-to-month for a month so I can try it out and migrate from the 4S) getting my SIM.

It's barely less than the 4S [edit: I've changed my mind... better overall, design-wise], and for a few very nit-picky reasons. The buttons are fine and comparable. The front is great. The sides are fine, though I could do without the 3G/3GS chrome rim (or, I guess since it's Android, a Chrome rim). What gets me - a little tiny bit - is the back. The camera is more easily felt. The speaker slot just feels like it should be elsewhere (at least by the bottom, like how the ear speaker is at the very top of the front).

Well, then again - and we're talking about now, after more than what was literally about 10 seconds of holding it - the Nexus 4 is a lot more comfortable to hold than the 4/4S. I like the sides better - a lot better. I like the width better. Hand-feel is definitely better, for me at least.

The screen is awesome. Gorgeous. I don't care what reviews say or don't say - I absolutely love it. Fingerprint magnet? Sure, but really no more than the 4S.

It's fast and responsive. Loading it up now. Made a call, no issues at all with sound over a wired headset.

I am very happy.

But the unboxing? Very Apple-like, but the travel adapter was a pain to de-plastic. That's it. That's my only issue - it took too much effort to un-shrinkwrap the adapter. :)

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
What are you doing to move personal data from iOS to the Nexus jsw (were you already a Google services user on the iPhone?).

One of the things that has put me off of iCloud is the lack of ease using other platforms like WP7 and Android with Apple services. I've been fortunate enough to be able to use all of my data on iOS, Android, WebOS and Windows Phone using Google.

Any initial thoughts on T-Mobile with it? How is coverage and data speeds for you?

daveathall
Nov 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
But the unboxing? Very Apple-like, but the travel adapter was a pain to de-plastic. That's it. That's my only issue - it took too much effort to un-shrinkwrap the adapter. :)

Thank heavens for that.......I thought it was me just being a wus.

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Thank heavens for that.......I thought it was me just being a wus.

I haven't even unwrapped mine! Been using the iPad/Nexus 4 charges I have on the go. :D

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
What are you doing to move personal data from iOS to the Nexus jsw (were you already a Google services user on the iPhone?).

One of the things that has put me off of iCloud is the lack of ease using other platforms like WP7 and Android with Apple services. I've been fortunate enough to be able to use all of my data on iOS, Android, WebOS and Windows Phone using Google.

Any initial thoughts on T-Mobile with it? How is coverage and data speeds for you?
I've been moving to Google services over time since I got the original N7. I'm not 100% sure how I'll transition everything - until today, it wasn't a real concern. :) However, I think a lot of my stuff (contacts, email, schedules, etc) is over; by using the phone, I figure out what isn't.

So far, so good with T-mobile, but I can only attest to their service over a very small area - from the local mall to where I work. I need to download SpeedTest....

----------

Thank heavens for that.......I thought it was me just being a wus.Agreed!

I was like "um, since when can't I unwrap plastic wrapping??"

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
T-mobile results:

Pings run between 17ms and 27ms.

Downloads have been 23Mbps to 28mbps.

Uploads have been in the same range.

D'oh!!! Forgot office wifi was on. Much slower now, pings near 100ms, uploads ~3, downloads ~14.

That said, I'm between 3 and 4 bars here, and fairly deep in the building, so it might be better elsewhere.
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=377730&stc=1&d=1353093008

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
T-mobile results:

Pings run between 23ms and 27ms.

Downloads have been 23Mbps to 28mbps.

Uploads have been in the same range.

Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=377727&d=1353092422)

That is amazing.... :eek: Consider me jealous!

Not bad for no LTE.

Edit: hang on, WiFi is on in that screenshot. :p

You haven't accidentally tested your home network have you? :D

mattopotamus
Nov 16, 2012, 01:07 PM

for my contacts I used the iphone app "contact sync" it lets you move your iphone contacts to your google account

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
That is amazing.... :eek: Consider me jealous!

Not bad for no LTE.

Edit: hang on, WiFi is on in that screenshot. :p

You haven't accidentally tested your home network have you? :D

Indeed I have!! :o:o

it was off, then I forgot I'd turned it back on.

Much slower results soon... [edit]edited the original post. :)

bollywood69
Nov 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
I've had my Nexus 4 for less than a day, not impressed at all with the battery. It's buttery smooth and does everything my iPhone 5 didn't, but the battery leaves much to be desired.

Like most others, iOS has become too stale and boring, even though I don't ask too much or do too much on my smartphone. Usually its just texts, some calls, maybe an hour of music, email, youtube, and some light web browsing. The 5 would last at least a few days before requiring a charge. But as I said, I don't do anything really draining to the battery and I do recognize my phone is on standby a lot.

However, since I got my Nexus 4 last night, from full charge in the morning I notice that the battery is already at 52% after roughly the same usage as I did on my 5.

It's not really a deal breaker I suppose, because the value is there. But I am disappointed in the hardware.

spinedoc77
Nov 16, 2012, 01:35 PM
Sorry, just got back from T-mobile (month-to-month for a month so I can try it out and migrate from the 4S) getting my SIM.

It's barely less than the 4S [edit: I've changed my mind... better overall, design-wise], and for a few very nit-picky reasons. The buttons are fine and comparable. The front is great. The sides are fine, though I could do without the 3G/3GS chrome rim (or, I guess since it's Android, a Chrome rim). What gets me - a little tiny bit - is the back. The camera is more easily felt. The speaker slot just feels like it should be elsewhere (at least by the bottom, like how the ear speaker is at the very top of the front).

Well, then again - and we're talking about now, after more than what was literally about 10 seconds of holding it - the Nexus 4 is a lot more comfortable to hold than the 4/4S. I like the sides better - a lot better. I like the width better. Hand-feel is definitely better, for me at least.

The screen is awesome. Gorgeous. I don't care what reviews say or don't say - I absolutely love it. Fingerprint magnet? Sure, but really no more than the 4S.

It's fast and responsive. Loading it up now. Made a call, no issues at all with sound over a wired headset.

I am very happy.

Good to hear. My only issue is with the power button placement, but it's true of most androids I believe. I always end up hitting one of the volume keys when turning it on/off, as opposed to the top placement of the iphone's power button.

Just realized your location, I'm outside of Springfield. Tempted to buy you a beer and ogle over your phone.

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
It's strange that with a 2100 mAH battery, the phone isn't performing very well (from what I hear) Could somebody try running the app 'CPU Spy' to see how long the CPU is in deep sleep? Also, how do you find the standby performance to be?

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Good to hear. My only issue is with the power button placement, but it's true of most androids I believe. I always end up hitting one of the volume keys when turning it on/off, as opposed to the top placement of the iphone's power button.

The power button is offset from the volume on the opposite side ever so slightly. Been used to the side button since the Nexus S but initially I used to catch both buttons on it! :o

It is something I've gotten used to and there would be a usibility issue with it on top of such a large phone!

----------

Indeed I have!! :o:o

it was off, then I forgot I'd turned it back on.

Much slower results soon... [edit]edited the original post. :)

14 megabits down isn't bad despite the reduction. You're beating me on up speed too. Not bad at all.

----------

It's strange that with a 2100 mAH battery, the phone isn't performing very well (from what I hear) Could somebody try running the app 'CPU Spy' to see how long the CPU is in deep sleep? Also, how do you find the standby performance to be?

Just installed cpuspy and will see whats going on over the next charge cycle! :)

daveathall
Nov 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
although those with OCD about fingerprints will have a seizure within seconds of handling it, it is a fingerprint magnet, I know, so are most phones, but this just seems to show them more,

Fingerprint magnet? Sure, but really no more than the 4S.

I am ashamed to say that I still had the plastic covering on the front and back.:eek: Never even noticed until I thought there was a blemish on the corner of the screen.

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
for my contacts I used the iphone app "contact sync" it lets you move your iphone contacts to your google account

Do you have a link for that app? I think I am going to wipe my google contacts, which I loaded a few years ago and never updated, and then move them over from iOS.

Michael

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
I am ashamed to say that I still had th plastic covering on the front and back.:eek: Never even noticed until I thought there was a blemish on the corner of the screen.
I had the one on the back for a while too. I was annoyed at a tiny little tap-like area on the upper right. "Not clean lines!" I thought... then I realized it was the plastic.

Switchback666
Nov 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
You guys are crazy :p i consider those results pretty damm good !

These is my connection after the 5gb cap:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/17/heve5uqe.jpg

I think its pretty legit speeds :eek:

mattopotamus
Nov 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
Do you have a link for that app? I think I am going to wipe my google contacts, which I loaded a few years ago and never updated, and then move them over from iOS.

Michael

i think this is it, but my work blocks this link =/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQFjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Fcontacts-sync-for-google-gmail%2Fid454390333%3Fmt%3D8&ei=iqGmUM2dGpCI9gTZ4oGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNGwl3zgJcryOlShcbUvzhJORJOpsQ

map1978
Nov 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
For those who switched from iOS to the N4 and kept there current line (by just getting a new micro sim for the N4 or keeping your current micro from the 4S), have you been having problems sending texts to iMessage users?

I read there was a report where texts weren't being received and vise versa once your not using iMessage anymore.

That was my only main concern as I'm still waiting for my N4

Please post input, thanks

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
i think this is it, but my work blocks this link =/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQFjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Fcontacts-sync-for-google-gmail%2Fid454390333%3Fmt%3D8&ei=iqGmUM2dGpCI9gTZ4oGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNGwl3zgJcryOlShcbUvzhJORJOpsQ

Oh good.... that was the one I found in the app store and have been waiting to buy it. Looks like it will do the job. Hopefully won't be any problem de-icloudifying my macs.

Next up, calendars.

Michael

----------

Oh good.... that was the one I found in the app store and have been waiting to buy it. Looks like it will do the job. Hopefully won't be any problem de-icloudifying my macs.

Next up, calendars.

Michael
Well I don't think I will even need the contacts sync app. I exported all my contacts on my mac from the Contacts app in vCard format then simply imported that file via google.com/contacts. Voila, all my contacts in Google, including pics, notes... everything. :)

Michael

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
Tempted to buy you a beer and ogle over your phone.Good Lord, man! You think I'd let my new baby near liquids?!?

I just started allowing myself to drink near my Dell mini9, which I bought for $199 around the time it was discontinued several years ago. :p

Dr McKay
Nov 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Well I got a Nexus 4, cost me an extra 130, but I bought one from O2

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
For those who switched from iOS to the N4 and kept there current line (by just getting a new micro sim for the N4 or keeping your current micro from the 4S), have you been having problems sending texts to iMessage users?

I read there was a report where texts weren't being received and vise versa once your not using iMessage anymore.

That was my only main concern as I'm still waiting for my N4

Please post input, thanks
I think you need to turn off iMessage on the iPhone before swapping the SIM. Otherwise it is still trying to send iMessage to the other phone and then even SMS fails. I will find out later I am sure.... still waiting for delivery.

Michael

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Well I got a Nexus 4, cost me an extra 130, but I bought one from O2

Far better than the prices on eBay! Plus you run the risk of the sellers being held back by 3 weeks like everyone else.

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
Well I don't think I will even need the contacts sync app. I exported all my contacts on my mac from the Contacts app in vCard format then simply imported that file via google.com/contacts. Voila, all my contacts in Google, including pics, notes... everything. :)

Michael
Well I am glad I have had all this time WAITING for my N4 in order to better plan a data migration strategy (yes I just wrote that with a straight face).

This seemed to be the way to go for Contacts, that syncs between my macs, ipad, pcs and presumably Nexus 4 (and for now my iPhone 4S):

1.) I exported all my contacts from the Contacts app on my mac, which was already fully in sync via iCloud, to vCard format (one file). I then turned off iCloud contact syncing via System Preferences, and chose to delete the contacts on this mac.

2.) At google.com/contacts I first ensured all contacts were deleted (they were old and had not been syncing to anything). I then imported the vCard file from my mac.

3.) Back on my mac I went to preferences from with the Contacts app--which was then devoid of any contacts--and added a CardDAV account for google. Server name is google.com. This immediately brought in all my google contacts, pics and all (including any custom fields I added from iOS/OS X).

4.) On my iPad I simple turned off iCloud contacts syncing and had it delete all onboard contacts. I already had Gmail setup for Exchange so I just turned on contact syncing for gmail. After that all my contacts were back, but this time synced to google. I could have instead setup CardDAV access for google contacts but that is for another day. Instructions are here though:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2753077

Michael

inselstudent
Nov 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
After three days of use here are some ups and downs.

Good:
The device feels really great in your hands. It's a pretty large phone (compared to my iPhone 4, that is) and yet it's pretty light and thin.

The glass on the front and back feels great too.

The rubbery plastic sides of the device feel good and give you a good grip on the phone.

The new gesture tying feature works surprisingly well and is actually pretty useful.

The screen with its high resolution looks very nice. I find it way more comfortable to watch YouTube videos on a screen that size (again, compared to my iPhone 4).

It's a very speedy device. I've never encountered any kind of lag. Loading websites for example is just as quick as on my laptop.

Bad:
Camera is worse than the one on my (two year old) iPhone 4. It's really awful in low light.

Battery life sucks. Without using the phone much so far I've barely managed it through the day.

IMO some features like selecting text to edit, copy or paste it is handled far worse than in iOS. But that might just be personal preference and probably I'd get used to it.

All in all, I'm not yet entirely sure if I'm gonna keep the phone or return to my iPhone 4.

mattopotamus
Nov 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
After three days of use here are some ups and downs.

Good:
The device feels really great in your hands. It's a pretty large phone (compared to my iPhone 4, that is) and yet it's pretty light and thin.

The glass on the front and back feels great too.

The rubbery plastic sides of the device feel good and give you a good grip on the phone.

The new gesture tying feature works surprisingly well and is actually pretty useful.

The screen with its high resolution looks very nice. I find it way more comfortable to watch YouTube videos on a screen that size (again, compared to my iPhone 4).

It's a very speedy device. I've never encountered any kind of lag. Loading websites for example is just as quick as on my laptop.

Bad:
Camera is worse than the one on my (two year old) iPhone 4. It's really awful in low light.

Battery life sucks. Without using the phone much so far I've barely managed it through the day.

IMO some features like selecting text to edit, copy or paste it is handled far worse than in iOS. But that might just be personal preference and probably I'd get used to it.

All in all, I'm not yet entirely sure if I'm gonna keep the phone or return to my iPhone 4.

Oh god, I forgot how bad copying things were haha. Those little cursors are awful. I also had a hard time selecting the exact letter to correct when I made a mistake. The magnifying glass on the iPhone is great.

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
For those complaining about battery life, could you post your results after about 5 charge cycles? I'm interested in seeing the results. I'm not sure where I read this, but apparently it takes a few charge cycles for the battery to be fully effective (for all phones).

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mine finally arrived!!! :)

Michael

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Mine finally arrived!!! :)

Michael

Do post your impressions when you get the chance.

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hmm. The Nexus 4 camera is actually decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AQyIuB26k

It seems that the OTA update fixed the dropped frames issue. Can someone else confirm this?

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hmm. The Nexus 4 camera is actually decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AQyIuB26k

It seems that the OTA update fixed the dropped frames issue. Can someone else confirm this?
I did some video, and it looks great - the video is, I think, better than the pictures the phone takes, which really do seem to be someone worse than the iPhone 4 (and more so when compared to the 4S). I think they fixed the frame rate issues, based on my 4.2 build video.

----------

More impressions after a bit more time:

I love the screen. Love, love, love, love, love the screen. Love it. Watching YouTube (the hilarious Hitler Nexus 4 video), the area of the video is easily twice that of the 4s (due to ratios, etc.), and it looks amazing (higher resolution). Everything else looks fantastic, too. I don't know how the brightness compares, but it doesn't matter - it's far more than bright enough, even in sunlight.

I love the feel in my hand - not just the sides, which are very comfortable, but the size. It just fits better than the 4S.

Battery life... well, we'll see after a few charge cycles. It's not award winning at this point. But it's not horrible, either.

The camera is... ok. It's fine. It's not stellar. I consider it a result of the lower cost. It's not disappointing so much as it's just not exciting.

The LED... oh, God, I love that I can change the color on it. That makes me giddy for reasons I can't explain.

The OS is a bit off... for example, on mine, I can't turn off vibrate-on-keystroke. I mean, I can shut it off in Settings, but it doesn't do anything, even after a reboot.

I'm still getting used to JB on the phone. I love it on the N7; I'm less enamored with it - at this point! - on the phone. There are differences (different settings, fewer widgets on the bottom, etc). And I'm so, so used to iOS for phones; it will take time to get used to JB. I think I'll be able to, and perhaps like it as much, but, honestly, I think iOS is better at calling/messaging. I just do. We'll see if my opinion changes.

In a nutshell? If this were the Nexus 4 touch, I'd love it. As the Nexus 4 phone... I'm still getting used to it. Once I know the "right" way to do things, I'll see if I still prefer iOS.

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Do post your impressions when you get the chance.

Initial impressions so far....

Unboxing was indeed Apple-like.

Setup was a breeze.

It feels fast.

I love the screen.

I love how on, I think it is Google Now, I can just say "google" and it wakes up the voice recognition.

Oh and I was happy to see the nav buttons disappear when playing a youtube vid! How nice on a bigger screen too,

So far good impressions!

Michael

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 08:04 PM
Initial impressions so far....

Unboxing was indeed Apple-like.

Setup was a breeze.

It feels fast.

I love the screen.

I love how on, I think it is Google Now, I can just say "google" and it wakes up the voice recognition.

Oh and I was happy to see the nav buttons disappear when playing a youtube vid! How nice on a bigger screen too,

So far good impressions!

Michael

Is this your first Android phone?

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
Is this your first Android phone?

Yes. Been with iPhone since it came out in 2007. Only had an ereader or two with Android (that I rooted) but they were old versions.

This thing is blowing me away so far!

My only gripe is I'm getting hella b1tched at over losing iMessage.

Michael

gregrose
Nov 16, 2012, 08:46 PM
Yes. Been with iPhone since it came out in 2007. Only had an ereader or two with Android (that I rooted) but they were old versions.

This thing is blowing me away so far!

My only gripe is I'm getting hella b1tched at over losing iMessage.

Michael

My gf is complaining for just this reason. Thinking of getting the s3

jsw
Nov 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
As it turns out, I can turn off vibrating keys. I just didn't know where to find the setting at first. I looked in Sounds and it's in Input. Learning curve. :)

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
My gf is complaining for just this reason. Thinking of getting the s3

I'm trying to guide her into whatsapp messenger. It's got the equivalent of her oh-so-important read receipt feature. :)

Michael

strausd
Nov 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
I'm trying to guide her into whatsapp messenger. It's got the equivalent of her oh-so-important read receipt feature. :)

Michael

I didn't see the whatsapp messenger app when I searched the app store yesterday...

Switchback666
Nov 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
I didn't see the whatsapp messenger app when I searched the app store yesterday...

Download in the browser.

sotorious
Nov 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
Had mine for a full 24 hours now, im lovin it. jellybean 4.2 is something else. I was an early adopter of the G1, and the Nexus One. This is a huge upgrade since then i am coming off the iphone 4.

As a mobile device this thing is superb, right now ive only had 1 charging cycle on my phone and i forgot and left GPS on, it has lasted me thru the day, im going to give the phone about a week before i completely judge the battery as when i first got my iP4 the first week i was killing it by the end of the day due to it being new and me playing with it so much.

Only thing i say i miss form iOS is the notifications on the lock screen that came up, also how every app looks a bit polished. Some of the android apps are still pretty choppy as all of them have not been coded for jellybean just yet like whatsapp being one of the, scrolling is horrendous on it. All in all, all main apps are smooth all google apps are smooth and the whole ui is finally smooth what i been waiting for. I am a frame whore even on the PC when gaming.

The camera is pretty decent, i dont think its the best, like someone said low light its meh, but anything with daylight it handles pretty fine. love all the features in the camera section though.

For the money and the phone that it is, the pros out weigh the cons every time.

whoknows87
Nov 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
Finally received the device, beautiful device , everything is great so far with the exception of the Camera took shots with an iPhone 4S and the Nexus , iPhone 4S trumps :/

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 09:59 PM

It's there.... I have it for iOS. Well I have had it for about a year but I'm sure it is still there. I am installing on my N4 now.

OK just tested between my iPhone 4S and N4... whatsapp working fine!

Mike

Tinmania
Nov 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
A few things, coming from an iPhone 4S.

Sound
Without a doubt the speakerphone is both louder and (much) clearer than my iPhone 4S. I would say the earpiece speaker volume is on par with my iPhone 4S, which I thought was pretty loud--maybe N4 is a touch louder. But for sure it is a clearer sound. I thought the back speaker would be bad for speaker phone but it so far has not been. Even when lying on its back it didn't seem to get muffled. Sound volume was a concern based on some reviews so this was good news for me.

Navigation Buttons
I was concerned they were stealing screen real estate from the nice big LCD. While they do do that, they have gone away by videos and pics. That said, coming from iOS I had not realized how nice they are to have--especially back. I had planned to root and get rid of them--and use gestures to replace 'em. I am not as inclined to do that now. Still, I wish more apps would remove them (the few games I downloaded so far leave them on-screen). But in essence, I was worried over something that is not a big deal.

Web Browsing
I had pretty much looked at it as a painful experience on my iPhone. While the Nexus 4 would certainly not be my favorite web browsing device the experience has gone from "I hope I don't need to be in Safari long" to a much more pleasant experience. Everything just seems clearer and easier to read... even in portrait.

Michael

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 11:01 PM
If you're looking for some apps to try, check out the following:

- AirDroid (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0.)
- Chess Free (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.aifactory.chessfree&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInVrLmNvLmFpZmFjdG9yeS5jaGVzc2ZyZWUiXQ..) (if you're into puzzle games, the developer has a large variety of them)
- Chrome to Phone (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chrometophone&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLmNocm9tZXRvcGhvbmUiXQ..) (useful for sending links from your desktop to your phone)
- Catch Notes (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threebanana.notes&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50aHJlZWJhbmFuYS5ub3RlcyJd)
- Most Google apps (https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Google+Inc.#?t=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLDEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLnBsdXMiXQ..)
- MX Player (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5teHRlY2gudmlkZW9wbGF5ZXIuYWQiXQ..)
- Nova (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50ZXNsYWNvaWxzdy5sYXVuY2hlciJd)or Apex (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbmRkb2VzLmxhdW5jaGVyIl0.)or ADW (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adw.launcher&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5hZHcubGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..)or Go (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nYXUuZ28ubGF1bmNoZXJleCJd)Launcher (Go launcher is a bit old and looks outdated but has a lot functions)
- Kingsoft Office (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wps.moffice_eng&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNuLndwcy5tb2ZmaWNlX2VuZyJd)
- ezPDF reader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=udk.android.reader&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInVkay5hbmRyb2lkLnJlYWRlciJd)
- Poweramp (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tYXhtcHouYXVkaW9wbGF5ZXIiXQ..)
- Solid Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInBsLnNvbGlkZXhwbG9yZXIiXQ..)
- SketchBook Mobile Express (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sketchbookexpress&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5za2V0Y2hib29rZXhwcmVzcyJd) (They have other good apps also)

These are some of my favorites. If you want to see more apps that follow the Holo guidelines (in other words look good), check out these links:
Holo Everywhere (http://www.holoeverywhere.com/)
Android niceties (http://androidniceties.tumblr.com/)

You'll probably eventually want to root your phone also.

bollywood69
Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 PM
Only thing i say i miss form iOS is the notifications on the lock screen that came up, also how every app looks a bit polished. Some of the android apps are still pretty choppy as all of them have not been coded for jellybean just yet like whatsapp being one of the, scrolling is horrendous on it. All in all, all main apps are smooth all google apps are smooth and the whole ui is finally smooth what i been waiting for. I am a frame whore even on the PC when gaming.

Loving 4.2, but the lockscreen widgets are completely useless in their current state. The feature seems unfinished and redundant. It also makes the lockscreen UI very awkward to use.

A few things, coming from an iPhone 4S.

Navigation Buttons
I was concerned they were stealing screen real estate from the nice big LCD. While they do do that, they have gone away by videos and pics. That said, coming from iOS I had not realized how nice they are to have--especially back. I had planned to root and get rid of them--and use gestures to replace 'em. I am not as inclined to do that now. Still, I wish more apps would remove them (the few games I downloaded so far leave them on-screen). But in essence, I was worried over something that is not a big deal.

Loving the 16:10 ratio, it definitely helps with the loss of screen due to the navi buttons!

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
Loving 4.2, but the lockscreen widgets are completely useless in their current state. The feature seems unfinished and redundant. It also makes the lockscreen UI very awkward to use.

Once developers start making widgets for the lockscreen, it should become more useful. Is it true that you can only have one widget per lockscreen, not matter what it's size is? If so, I really hope that Google will fix this in a minor update soon, rather than in the next OS.

bollywood69
Nov 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
Once developers start making widgets for the lockscreen, it should become more useful. Is it true that you can only have one widget per lockscreen, not matter what it's size is? If so, I really hope that Google will fix this in a minor update soon, rather than in the next OS.

Thats exactly why this feature is useless or seems unfinished. Also, I'm claiming it is redundant b/c it's just dumb to swipe to my other widgets when I can just enter my PIN to access the rest of my phone.

Also, I can see where lockscreen widgets would have been useful on an iPhone b/c you wake to the lockscreen regardless if the PIN lock has timed out. But on my Nexus 4 I don't get the lockscreen every time I wake the phone!

PS, battery actually performed better than expected, but will post results after a few cycles. At the end of the day it still had juice, not like I thought around noon when it was nearly half depleted from just texts and emails.

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thats exactly why this feature is useless or seems unfinished. Also, I'm claiming it is redundant b/c it's just dumb to swipe to my other widgets when I can just enter my PIN to access the rest of my phone.

There are uses for it. Typing a pin is somewhat tedious. If you just quickly need to see your timetable or calendar, this could be pretty useful.

Also, I can see where lockscreen widgets would have been useful on an iPhone b/c you wake to the lockscreen regardless if the PIN lock has timed out. But on my Nexus 4 I don't get the lockscreen every time I wake the phone!

That is strange. Are you using a pin or just slide to unlock.

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 04:57 AM
Im not getting too bad a battery so far.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-11-17-10-53-21.png

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-11-17-10-53-09.png

mattopotamus
Nov 17, 2012, 05:23 AM
How well does the phone integrate social
Networks like Facebook and twitter compared to iOS 6? That was one of the biggest improvements the iPhone received and it is flawless IMO.

----------

As it turns out, I can turn off vibrating keys. I just didn't know where to find the setting at first. I looked in Sounds and it's in Input. Learning curve. :)

It's the damn habtic feedback

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 05:25 AM
Networks like Facebook and twitter compared to iOS 6? That was one of the biggest improvements the iPhone received and it is flawless IMO.

I'm sorry but I don't really use FB or Twitter, someone else will be able to give a better critique than I could.:)

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 05:52 AM

I don't use Facebook but the way Android applications can hook into the share button throughout the OS, anything can be shared with any other third party applications.

Highlight text in Chrome, hit share and that text can be sent to various sources like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, SMS, Email, Google Docs, Evernote.

Browsing a webpage in the browser? Once again, hit share and send it to Facebook, twitter, Google plus, email, SMS or add to Pocket or instapaper.

In the gallery? Hit share and send your latest snap to Facebook Google plus, twitter, instagram, drop box, Google drive, skydrive...

You are only limited by whichever third party applications you have installed and it goes way beyond basic Facebook and twitter sharing.

MacRumorUser
Nov 17, 2012, 05:58 AM
I see from iFixit's teardown that the device does indeed have a LTE chipset, but seemingly it's disabled in software ? Wonder how long it will be before modders get a rom working with LTE enabled ?

akuma13
Nov 17, 2012, 06:05 AM
ChazUk thanks for highlighting that feature. It's One of the best features of android that I miss whenever I start using iOS

These are some of my favorites. If you want to see more apps that follow the Holo guidelines (in other words look good), check out these links:
Holo Everywhere (http://www.holoeverywhere.com/)
Android niceties (http://androidniceties.tumblr.com/)

You'll probably eventually want to root your phone also.

THANK YOU for those links!! It's good to know that they are designers and developers that like to make ascetically pleasing apps for android.

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 06:08 AM
I see from iFixit's teardown that the device does indeed have a LTE chipset, but seemingly it's disabled in software ? Wonder how long it will be before modders get a rom working with LTE enabled ?

This could lead to something special if it is only software disabled. :eek:

Oletros
Nov 17, 2012, 06:14 AM
This could lead to something special if it is only software disabled. :eek:

I think that it lacks the antenna and the amplifier

mattopotamus
Nov 17, 2012, 06:17 AM
I don't use Facebook but the way Android applications can hook into the share button throughout the OS, anything can be shared with any other third party applications.

Highlight text in Chrome, hit share and that text can be sent to various sources like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, SMS, Email, Google Docs, Evernote.

Browsing a webpage in the browser? Once again, hit share and send it to Facebook, twitter, Google plus, email, SMS or add to Pocket or instapaper.

In the gallery? Hit share and send your latest snap to Facebook Google plus, twitter, instagram, drop box, Google drive, skydrive...

You are only limited by whichever third party applications you have installed and it goes way beyond basic Facebook and twitter sharing.

Thanks. God I love forums haha :)

Marco123
Nov 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
For anyone that has owned the ip5 and are currently on the N4 would you rather have this or the ip5?
Still undecided whether to sell my N4 when it arrives and go back to ip5.
Thanks.

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
For anyone that has owned the ip5 and are currently on the N4 would you rather have this or the ip5?
Thanks.

I had an iPhone 5 and prefer the N4, I am currently comparing it to the SGS3 which I have, but TBH, you can only decide when you have tried the N4 for yourself once it arrives, both are superb phones (IMHO)

mattopotamus
Nov 17, 2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks.

Something I am also wondering, but think it will vary for everyone. While I am waiting for the N4 to arrive, I am noticing more and more how everything works great on the iphone5

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 08:13 AM

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-11-17-10-53-21.png)

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-11-17-10-53-09.png)

How is that not bad? Less than 2 hours of screen on usage and only 53% left?

This is my 5. I haven't listened to music or anything, that's all screen-on time.

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 AM

This is my 5. I haven't listened to music or anything, that's all screen-on time.

I very much doubt he had your phone at hand to compare with. Are you always so aggressive? :confused:

Nice battery life.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
I very much doubt he had your phone at hand to compare with. Are you always so aggressive? :confused:

Nice battery life.

I suppose my wording was a bit aggressive, hah. My bad.

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 08:57 AM
I suppose my wording was a bit aggressive, hah. My bad.

LOL! :D

Very hard to depict a mood over the internet with simeitmes with a poor use of words. I've done it plenty of times and read back what I wrote later and thought about myself "what an aresehole!". :o

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 09:12 AM

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-11-17-10-53-21.png)

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2012-11-17-10-53-09.png)

Do you have Wi-fi and data set so that they turn off when the phone goes to sleep? Or do they stay on during sleep also?

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 09:14 AM
Do you have Wi-fi and data set so that they turn off when the phone goes to sleep? Or do they stay on during sleep also?

I have them on all the time ATM.

nba1341
Nov 17, 2012, 09:47 AM

No way in hell you can get 9 hours of screen on time from iPhone 5.

Until you show actual screen on time thats a useless picture

iOS doesn't have any sort of battery stats whatsoever?

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
No way in hell you can get 9 hours of screen on time from iPhone 5.

Until you show actual screen on time thats a useless picture

iOS doesn't have any sort of battery stats whatsoever?

You absolutely can. The "Usage" counts time whenever the phone is running. This usually means whenever the screen is on, but also if you are playing audio or using GPS (turn-by-turn) when the screen is off. Don't believe me, but it's the truth.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/13

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
Never got something close to that battery on my 4 and 4s, either the usage thing is broken or you plug your iphone for a while during the day or apple ****s the 4s on purpose cause theres no way the iphone 5 can have better battery using the same cell.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Never got something close to that battery on my 4 and 4s, either the usage thing is broken or you plug your iphone for a while during the day or apple ****s the 4s on purpose cause theres no way the iphone 5 can have better battery using the same cell.

Read the link, I'm not making this up. And if I did plug in my iPhone, it would say "iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge" below the stats. The iPhone 5 has great battery life, I don't know why you guys can't stomach that, lol.

And I'm not alone: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1490604

jsw
Nov 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
Never got something close to that battery on my 4 and 4s...
Ditto. Not even close.

On the other hand, people at work all claim much better life from their 5's than from their 4 or 4s phones. Whether or not that's completely accurate, I don't know, but they all say they do, every one of them.

My 4s battery life is seemingly similar to the Nexus 4's. I don't know how they compare exactly, but the 4s has always been crap at battery, and the Nexus 4 seems better now than the 4s did even when new, so... I dunno. I think the Nexus 4 is better than the 4s but not as good as the 5. The iPhone 5, love it or not, has amazing battery life.

Tinmania
Nov 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
Read the link, I'm not making this up. And if I did plug in my iPhone, it would say "iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge" below the stats. The iPhone 5 has great battery life, I don't know why you guys can't stomach that, lol.
The utter lack of information from the iPhone's "usage stats" makes it just about useless. For gawd's sake look at the difference between that simpleton screen and the one posted from the N4.

Most of us here are well aware of what iPhone battery life is like.

Michael

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
The utter lack of information from the iPhone's "usage stats" makes it just about useless. For gawd's sake look at the difference between that simpleton screen and the one posted from the N4.

Most of us here are well aware of what iPhone battery life is like.

Michael

So? The lack of information in no way negates the great battery life. I described what is encompassed under "Usage." I use my 5 hardcore and it's almost impossible for me to kill it in one day; it'll last 2 full days under moderate usage.

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
And if I did plug in my iPhone, it would say "iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge" below the stats.

Must admit that I never noticed that with my iPhone 5, perhaps you would plug yours in and take a screen shot for us. Not saying it isn't true, just saying I haven't noticed it.

onthecouchagain
Nov 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Played extensively with a Nexus 4 yesterday. I am ready to order this device.

The smoothness of the OS is now certainly on par with iOS. I tried my hardest to make it stutter. Loaded up a ton of apps, tried to quickly switch between apps, tried to quickly launch things after a swipe, or hit the home button right away, or try Google Now while it's running something (the swipe up from home button to access Google Now is so much faster now), typing extremely quickly... just really trying to put the device to its paces and to see if it would stutter anywhere. It didn't fail once. And I don't know how anybody can try to continue arguing that the touch response is slower than iOS. It was extremely responsive. Pinch to zoom, typing, swiping, launching apps, everything registered right away and felt instantaneously.

And all this, while running a live wallpaper, which I hadn't notice until half way through messing with it. I personally don't like live wallpapers, but imagine without.

Just one more thing Android is encroaching on iOS. The excuses to switch grows ever shorter.

michaeljohn
Nov 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
Played extensively with a Nexus 4 yesterday. I am ready to order this device.

The smoothness of the OS is now certainly on par with iOS. I tried my hardest to make it stutter. Loaded up a ton of apps, tried to quickly switch between apps, tried to quickly launch things after a swipe, or hit the home button right away, or try Google Now while it's running something (the swipe up from home button to access Google Now is so much faster now), typing extremely quickly... just really trying to put the device to its paces and to see if it would stutter anywhere. It didn't fail once. And I don't know how anybody can try to continue arguing that the touch response is slower than iOS. It was extremely responsive. Pinch to zoom, typing, swiping, launching apps, everything registered right away and felt instantaneously.

And all this, while running a live wallpaper, which I hadn't notice until half way through messing with it. I personally don't like live wallpapers, but imagine without.

Just one more thing Android is encroaching on iOS. The excuses to switch grows ever shorter.

Give it time. It's a computer. They all run fast and beautiful for awhile before the problems start. My Galaxy S3 ran fantastic for the first few months before it started to hang up at times while typing, force closing apps at times and the screen just randomly going black where I had sound but nothing on screen leading to battery pulls.

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Give it time. It's a computer. They all run fast and beautiful for awhile before the problems start. My Galaxy S3 ran fantastic for the first few months before it started to hang up at times while typing, force closing apps at times and the screen just randomly going black where I had sound but nothing on screen leading to battery pulls.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've been using my GS2 for over year and it runs the same since the day I bought it.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
Must admit that I never noticed that with my iPhone 5, perhaps you would plug yours in and take a screen shot for us. Not saying it isn't true, just saying I haven't noticed it.

Sure, I'll do it. First, though, I'm gonna let it die and post the 9 hours of usage I'm expecting at this rate ;)

whoknows87
Nov 17, 2012, 11:10 AM
Why does the camera have to really suck even when using HDR :confused::confused::confused: also dont know if its just me but tried to take a few pix the screen shows waves

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
Has anybody else experienced this? I've been using my GS2 for over year and it runs the same since the day I bought it.

The last time I had to pull my Galaxy Nexus battery was when I replaced it with the extended battery. :D

No issues with my handsets to the level Michael has had.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
No i just noticed the picture better, thats hes usage so far WITHOUT plugging the device; it is clear now either im a big power user (also have brightness at 50%) or apple booby trap the 4s :(

Either way my friend its not possible to confirm what you were doing over does 4hr+ of usage, maybe you guys can compare level of brightness and wifi/cellular data usage and whe can get a better idea.

stridemat
Nov 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
MOD NOTE

Open. Please keep on topic and following the rules.

Dr McKay
Nov 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
How's battery life for everyone else? This is my first charge cycle, it's been on since 0945 and it's mostly been locked.

whoknows87
Nov 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
How's battery life for everyone else? This is my first charge cycle, it's been on since 0945 and it's mostly been locked.

how did u take a screen shot lol, mine is 13 hours since 100% charge , not sure if thats good or bad

Dr McKay
Nov 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
how did u take a screen shot lol, mine is 13 hours since 100% charge , not sure if thats good or bad

Hold down volume down + lock for a second or 2.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
What does "android OS" stands in battery usage ?

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 02:03 PM

Can you post the screen-on time and the history details (click on the graph)?

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
No i just noticed the picture better, thats hes usage so far WITHOUT plugging the device; it is clear now either im a big power user (also have brightness at 50%) or apple booby trap the 4s :(

Either way my friend its not possible to confirm what you were doing over does 4hr+ of usage, maybe you guys can compare level of brightness and wifi/cellular data usage and whe can get a better idea.

Here's my final usage stat. Pretty darn good. That time of usage was comprised of several hours surfing the web, 1 hour having iMessage chats, 1.5 hours of Pandora listening, about 2 hours of playing Super Hexagon and Need for Speed (I'm addicted), and about a half hour of phone calls. Give or take a few minutes here and there.

Now, that was a pretty heavy workload, and it wouldn't have been as good had I not been on Wi-Fi the whole time. Still, it bothers me how good Apple's power management is in comparison to Android's.

Dr McKay
Nov 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Can you post the screen-on time and the history details (click on the graph)?

Here, although I've just noticed in settings that Screen brightness was on 100% and auto brightness was off.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thats it :( apple screw us 4s users.

Look at my usage, tapatalk only and on cellular data:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/3u6y9y4e.jpg

jsw
Nov 17, 2012, 02:15 PM

Looks like mine. The 4s battery situation is a travesty, really. I use battery cases to make it safely through the day.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 02:16 PM

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/3u6y9y4e.jpg)

Tapatalk sucks battery like crazy, and being on 3G vs. Wi-Fi will lower battery expectations, too. Furthermore, from my experience I lose battery quicker when I'm 3G opposed to LTE.

whoknows87
Nov 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
I recently upped the brightness for 90% of the time it was on auto brightness/ half way

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
@zbarvian these is a copy of a post i made in the other thread.

These is my problem with reviews "test"

4s 9hrs+ on 3g:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/tuduvaty.jpg

4s 10hrs+ on wifi:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/zezyjebe.jpg

BUT now whe see these reviews with the iphone 5:

Over wifi:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/ujy2aneq.jpg

With cellular data:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/pe7a7u8u.jpg

=======================

My usage with only tapatalk over 3g and the little browsing for these pictures:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/5e3uryma.jpg

Ands that why i dont give a damm about reviews.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
@zbarvian these is a copy of a post i made in the other thread.

These is my problem with reviews "test"

4s 9hrs+ on 3g:

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/tuduvaty.jpg)

4s 10hrs+ on wifi:

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/zezyjebe.jpg)

BUT now whe see these reviews with the iphone 5:

Over wifi:

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/ujy2aneq.jpg)

With cellular data:

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/pe7a7u8u.jpg)

=======================

My usage with only tapatalk over 3g and the little browsing for these pictures:

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/5e3uryma.jpg)

Ands that why i dont give a damm about reviews.

Go back and read the iPhone 5 battery benchmarks. They said that the previous tests they used for the 4S weren't representative of real life, and that they revised the tests to be more realistic.

Not to mention, Tapatalk is a battery hound.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Thats the problem, after that i lost faith any reviews atm :( what will happend next year ? Same difference with battery life ?

Either way at these point im not saying the iphone 5 dont have good battery life (your usage picture looks very good) but im bummed.....

Anyway fwiw i also have whatsapp installed, 4 email accounts setup and findmyiphone enabled (other location stuff disabled).

----------

Forgot to add that i remember saw the iphone 5 use the same battery the 4s have so if its true im even more confused.

jsw
Nov 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
Forgot to add that i remember saw the iphone 5 use the same battery the 4s have so if its true im even more confused.Even if so - and I don't know if it is - the circuitry and components are completely different, so you'd expect use times to be different as well.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
Even if so - and I don't know if it is - the circuitry and components are completely different, so you'd expect use times to be different as well.

Yeah but that huge bump in battery life !? Plus LTE usage still longer runtime :eek:

Do you have a iphone 5 also ? If you do share your usage if its not a problem plus what stuff you have running.

jsw
Nov 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Do you have a iphone 5 also ? If you do share your usage if its not a problem plus what stuff you have running.Nope, just a 4S. There are many people at work with the 5, though, and I can verify that they start and end the day with almost the same battery percentage, despite being used, whereas my 4s drains regardless of whether I do anything with it.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah but that huge bump in battery life !? Plus LTE usage still longer runtime :eek:

Do you have a iphone 5 also ? If you do share your usage if its not a problem plus what stuff you have running.

I've learned to never underestimate Apple's engineering team. The switch to an integrated cellular chip and 32nm SoC certainly helped, I imagine.

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Sure, I'll do it. First, though, I'm gonna let it die and post the 9 hours of usage I'm expecting at this rate ;)

That screen shot should be ready now zb. Any chance?

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
That screen shot should be ready now zb. Any chance?

He posted the picture at 1% remain, not sure if here or in the other thread.

----------

I've learned to never underestimate Apple's engineering team. The switch to an integrated cellular chip and 32nm SoC certainly helped, I imagine.

Yes but unless theres a major change on how much power the old chip draw vs the new one.

Something is not right imo (not regarding your usage) im talking about iOS5-6 on the 4s.

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
He posted the picture at 1% remain, not sure if here or in the other thread.[COLOR="#808080"]

But he posted that picture 3 hours after he said he would check the battery after complete drainage. Unless I missed something.

Edit:nvm. reread the post

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
He posted the picture at 1% remain, not sure if here or in the other thread.

No, he was going to post a screen shot of:

And if I did plug in my iPhone, it would say "iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge" below the stats.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
No, he was going to post a screen shot of:

Yeah, it's recharging now (at 95%). I'll take one when it's done. I'm OCD about interrupting a full charge cycle lol.

Edit: dude below beat me to it.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/a9ava3an.jpg

I plugged mine, it does state "have been plugged blah blah"

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
Thank you, must admit that I never saw it with my iPhone 5. (Thats why I originally asked)

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
I forgot about it lol

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it's recharging now (at 95%). I'll take one when it's done. I'm OCD about interrupting a full charge cycle lol.

I must admit, apparently there is no reason not to interrupt a charging cycle, but I'm the same, I also don't like unplugging during a charge.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
Anyway any news about the backorders ? :( im hoping they will ship mine early and i dont have to wait 3 damm weeks !

----------

Guys these are lithion batterys, they dont have memory so its no problem to unplug when still charging

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Anyway any news about the backorders ? :( im hoping they will ship mine early and i dont have to wait 3 damm weeks !

Ive had mine a day, I don't think you will be disappointed when it arrives.:)

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Ive had mine a day, I don't think you will be disappointed when it arrives.:)

How would you compare it to the GS3? Also, I have never used one-screen buttons. How do you feel about them as opposed to the GS3's capacitive buttons?

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
Maybe i get a free bumper :D atleast i dont have to pay shipping now :eek: would love if they throw orb in the package !

tjl3
Nov 17, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yes but unless theres a major change on how much power the old chip draw vs the new one.

Something is not right imo (not regarding your usage) im talking about iOS5-6 on the 4s.

Even tho both Nexus 4 threads have been hijacked by battery discussions for iPhone 5:

"The non-LTE phones see a sharp drop in battery life. At least at 28nm the slower air interfaces simply have to remain active (and drawing power) for longer, which results in measurably worse battery life. Again, the thing to be careful of here is there's usually a correlation between network speed and how aggressive you use the device. With a workload that scaled with network speed you might see closer numbers between 3G and 4G LTE."
- http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/13

I recognize he also cites network speed as a possible explanation for varying results.

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 03:29 PM
How would you compare it to the GS3? Also, I have never used one-screen buttons. How do you feel about them as opposed to the GS3's capacitive buttons?

It would be difficult ATM to give a fair comment, its still shiny and brand new out of the box, having said that, my S3 has been, IMHO the best phone I have had so far. I will keep both phones for a month and sell the one that I enjoy the least. (I did that with a iPhone 5 and the S3) As for the on screen buttons, I really like them.

Sorry it's a bit of a naff answer, but in a couple of weeks I will be able to give a more objective opinion.:)

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
It would be difficult ATM to give a fair comment, its still shiny and brand new out of the box, having said that, my S3 has been, IMHO the best phone I have had so far. I will keep both phones for a month and sell the one that I enjoy the least. (I did that with a iPhone 5 and the S3) As for the on screen buttons, I really like them.

Sorry it's a bit of a naff answer, but in a couple of weeks I will be able to give a more objective opinion.:)

That's understandable. Thanks!

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ive seen people a bit off regarding the on-screen buttons, personally i think they are a plus.

While watching a video they go away right ?

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
Ive seen people a bit off regarding the on-screen buttons, personally i think they are a plus.

I tried a custom ROM on my phone which allowed on-screen buttons. On the default video player, the buttons went away. But on MX Video Player (third party app), they didn't. Could someone confirm if this is the case with N4?

daveathall
Nov 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
I

Yes, just confirmed by loading a YouTube vid.

Switchback666
Nov 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
Cheers mate !

jsw
Nov 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
I've attached a sample screenshot from the YouTube app - as you can see, no buttons (unless you tap to show them).

strausd
Nov 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
What third party video players will hide the on screen buttons like Youtube?

Oletros
Nov 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
What third party video players will hide the on screen buttons like Youtube?

Moboplayer can dim or completely remove the on screen buttons

Vegastouch
Nov 17, 2012, 04:55 PM

Edit: dude below beat me to it.

You seem OCD about many things,and im not trying to be funny. I know people who are OCD and It gets kinda bizarre. I wouldnt want to have it.

zbarvian
Nov 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
You seem OCD about many things,and im not trying to be funny. I know people who are OCD and It gets kinda bizarre. I wouldnt want to have it.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. I was kidding?

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
It's just occurred to me how off course this thread has gone. Shame to see it turn into a pissing contest but I should have assumed that it was always going to head that way.

Time to unsubscribe and seek impressions from people that have actually owned the device elsewhere! Have fun those that stick around.

Enjoy your iPhone 5's and to anyone who eventually gets their Nexus 4's, I hope your experience is as positive as mine has been. It's an incredible device.

Vegastouch
Nov 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
I went to a T-Mobile store today and they said NONE of the TMo stores in Las Vegas got any N4's. They said maybe Best Buy...which wouldnt make sense since TMo is the only official carrier of it right now and BB doesnt have them in their stores.
However, somebody said they may be selling them unlocked for the same price?

Marco123
Nov 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
Can any owners explain how good the camera is?
Thanks.

jsw
Nov 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
It's not as good as the one on an iPhone 4S but seems comparable to the one on the iPhone 4. 720p video looks pretty good. Photos in good light are fine. Photos in less light are not great. It is a decent camera but not an exceptional one. If the iPhone 4 camera is OK for you, this one will be just fine as well.

Mxbzz
Nov 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Got my Nexus 4 yesterday and haven't been able to completely use it just yet. I neglected to purchase a nano sim adapter so my sim from my iPhone 5 won't work. I let my housemate give it a try and I am using it without a sim currently. So far, so good! I really like the Google Cards feature, letting me know the current traffic conditions for my work commute in one screen (along with the weather, etc). Can't wait for my adapter to show up so I can finally use this phone outside.

This phone does get pretty warm, but aside from that, the browsing is smooth and I'm finding new features left and right. For $300, this phone is a STEAL. The only thing I would miss from the iPhone would be the iMessages (some of my friends don't subscribe to a texting plan). But I can see myself using this as my daily phone.

I'm already used to the size.. Coming from a 4" screen, there's a lot more real estate when browsing the web. If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these babies up, do it! :)

sotorious
Nov 17, 2012, 07:27 PM

Loving the 16:10 ratio, it definitely helps with the loss of screen due to the navi buttons!

yea i really hope devs can make something good out of this and by the next update i hope they can dazzle it up a bit.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
Got my Nexus 4 yesterday and haven't been able to completely use it just yet. I neglected to purchase a nano sim adapter so my sim from my iPhone 5 won't work. I let my housemate give it a try and I am using it without a sim currently. So far, so good! I really like the Google Cards feature, letting me know the current traffic conditions for my work commute in one screen (along with the weather, etc). Can't wait for my adapter to show up so I can finally use this phone outside.

This phone does get pretty warm, but aside from that, the browsing is smooth and I'm finding new features left and right. For $300, this phone is a STEAL. The only thing I would miss from the iPhone would be the iMessages (some of my friends don't subscribe to a texting plan). But I can see myself using this as my daily phone.

I'm already used to the size.. Coming from a 4" screen, there's a lot more real estate when browsing the web. If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these babies up, do it! :)

Use Facebook or have them put Google+ on their phones if they don't have text plans.

----------

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/3u6y9y4e.jpg)

LOL. I get near 12 hrs on my note 2 and I'm at 56% with 100% brightness and 5+hrs if screen time.

Mxbzz
Nov 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
The NFC reader is just too fun on this phone. I downloaded FareBot and it read my Clipper Card (for BART trains/Bay Area metro), telling me my current balance, past trips, and other information. While not necessary, it's very convenient!

One thing I do miss is being able to scroll to the top of a page by tapping at the top. Does Android have anything equivalent to iOS? I think I read that the SGIII had this feature but I couldn't find a universal app.

Either way, I'm very satisfied with this phone, and it is well worth the $300 price tag :D

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 18, 2012, 10:50 AM
The NFC reader is just too fun on this phone. I downloaded FareBot and it read my Clipper Card (for BART trains/Bay Area metro), telling me my current balance, past trips, and other information. While not necessary, it's very convenient!

One thing I do miss is being able to scroll to the top of a page by tapping at the top. Does Android have anything equivalent to iOS? I think I read that the SGIII had this feature but I couldn't find a universal app.

Either way, I'm very satisfied with this phone, and it is well worth the $300 price tag :D

I've been looking for this for a while. I have asked several forums and found nothing. The S3 feature only works in contacts and a couple other Samsung apps and it doesn't work very well. I tried.

whoknows87
Nov 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
Can any owners explain how good the camera is?
Thanks.

Switched from an iPhone 5 to the nexus 4 and this was my biggest worry, the camera is not that great in low light, day time pix will come out fine other than that you will be disappointed, Love everything about the phone except the camera, the iPhone 4S/5 Camera is just superb

ChazUK
Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 AM
Is it safe to reenter the thread yet? :)

Having some real oddities with the battery charts. Got into work with seemingly 10% lost in half hour, plugged it in to my work PC and it instantly went back to " charged" status.

I've literally just plugged or back in. :confused: (that thin green line on the bottom is how long it's been plugged in so the gradual incline upwards is inaccurate).