PDA

View Full Version : The Nexus 4 Restock Watch Thread

ravenvii
Nov 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Out of sheer envy at the Nexus 4 owners/discussion thread, I'm creating this thread for those of us who were unlucky yesterday.

Keep each other posted on any rumors or updates for when Google might restock the Play store with more Nexus 4's.

From my end, I'm hearing anything from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks.

jsw, it'd be mighty useful if you could put your little scripts here for easy retrieval!

3bs
Nov 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
No Play store in Ireland so I ordered it from handtec (http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=8177) but they haven't given us an ETA yet and I'm thinking about cancelling my order and trying to buy it elsewhere.

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
Where did you hear 2-3 days?

I'm only reading about weeks.

ravenvii
Nov 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
Where did you hear 2-3 days?

I'm only reading about weeks.

A post of someone who spoke to a rep. As unreliable as anything out there, unfortunately. Also heard "before Thanksgiving."

EDIT: And of course the ever-helpful official "within the next few weeks" from Google.

jsw
Nov 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Out of sheer envy at the Nexus 4 owners/discussion thread, I'm creating this thread for those of us who were unlucky yesterday.

Keep each other posted on any rumors or updates for when Google might restock the Play store with more Nexus 4's.

From my end, I'm hearing anything from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks.

jsw, it'd be mighty useful if you could put your little scripts here for easy retrieval!
I will do so later tonight!

Somewhere, I have code that will (or used to, in olden times) create a post here. If I can resurrect that code, I'll even post a comment once the stores (at least in the US) open up with some inventory.

Joeytpg
Nov 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
anyone knows when it'll be available on Amazon dot com ?

ravenvii
Nov 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
For those impatient here's a possible way to get the Nexus 4 from T-Mobile and get away with it for about $50 more than what you'd pay on the Play store:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225165-those-impatient-dont-buy-ebay.html

cnguyen0320
Nov 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
For those impatient here's a possible way to get the Nexus 4 from T-Mobile and get away with it for about $50 more than what you'd pay on the Play store:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225165-those-impatient-dont-buy-ebay.html

yeap, thats my thread :cool:

entatlrg
Nov 14, 2012, 09:50 PM
I keep checking numerous times a day.

Is there a way to buy in Canada other than the play store?

jsw
Nov 14, 2012, 10:45 PM
Use AppleScript Editor to make a script like this:

tell application "Mail"
set theNewMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"N4 available!", content:"https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb", visible:true}
tell theNewMessage
make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"yourphonenumber@txt.att.net"}
make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"youremail@gmail.com"}
send
end tell
end tell

You can change the subject and contents, and that's a link to one of the options - it might be the other which is available. Change the contact info (you can, as shown, send to multiple emails).

Make sure Mail is set up to send email on your computer.

The checking script is attached - just drop it somewhere, rename it to remove the '.txt' (not necessary, just... more appropriate), open it, and edit the "~/Desktop/NexusEmail.scpt" bit to be your AppleScript file (or just make sure your AppleScript file is names NexusEmail.scpt and is on your desktop).

Make sure it's set to be executable:

open Terminal
type "chmod +x " (without the quotes but with the trailing space)
in Finder, drag the file from wherever you put it into Terminal
this will produce a line something like "chmod +x /Users/yourname/Downloads/chexnex.sh", depending on where you put it
hit return to run the command

Then run it in Terminal:

in Finder, drag the file from wherever you put it into Terminal (on an empty line after the prompt)
this will produce a line something like "/Users/yourname/Downloads/chexnex.sh", depending on where you put it
hit return to run the command

You'll need to leave Terminal (and your Mac) running, but you can hide the window.

Note that all it does is see if "sold out" isn't on the page. If they change the wording, this will trigger - it doesn't guarantee they're available.

Off to bed, will check for replies tomorrow!

onthecouchagain
Nov 14, 2012, 10:54 PM
I really hope Google is learning from all this for the Nexus 4 (2013) launch.

jsw
Nov 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
I really hope Google is learning from all this for the Nexus 4 (2013) launch.
I'm sure they are, just as much as they've learned from all the previous ones. ;-)

Lesson: no matter how slow, crappy, and buggy your ordering process is, people will still use it.

ravenvii
Nov 16, 2012, 11:57 PM
Via Reddit, whohas.it is a service that claims to notify you as soon as an item is in stock. Here's the page for the Nexus 4:

http://whohas.it/g/247

They have an app, ironically enough, for iOS. No Android app yet.

You have to set up an account, but alas. Worth a try.

ravenvii
Nov 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
Update via Reddit from Android Information Source (never heard of them, so take this with a pile of salt): http://www.androidinfosource.com/2012/11/16/nexus-4-weeks-away-days-according-to-play-support/

inhalewaste
Nov 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
Update via Reddit from Android Information Source (never heard of them, so take this with a pile of salt): http://www.androidinfosource.com/2012/11/16/nexus-4-weeks-away-days-according-to-play-support/

That's great, if that's true.

Ericcc
Nov 18, 2012, 09:38 PM

Cool! Thanks for posting that.

inhalewaste
Nov 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
Rumor going on at XDA that Nov 20-22nd should see Nexus 4 restocked. That also means people who got backordered should be getting notices this week. This coincides with the above rumors of "stock within a few days..."

Only rumors. Good luck.

Ericcc
Nov 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
Backordered devices shipped this week, which indicates possibility of online sales.

onthecouchagain
Nov 27, 2012, 08:32 AM
They'll be available today at 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST. I actually got an email this time. Google is learning. :rolleyes:

LSUtigers03
Nov 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Shhhhh it was supposed to be a secret.

Pjstock42
Nov 27, 2012, 08:58 AM
$20 says they silently go on sale at 11:54 instead and are then sold out for 2 weeks again.

dalbir4444
Nov 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
They'll be available today at 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST. I actually got an email this time. Google is learning. :rolleyes:

U.S. only:mad:

onthecouchagain
Nov 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
U.S. only:mad:

Aye, sorry. Where are you?

Ericcc
Nov 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Really hoping against hope that they'll lump us Canadians into today's re-launch as well. We're basically like the States with universal healthcare :D

Also: 2 limit per customer, and this might be RETROACTIVE. If you ordered more than 2 the first time around, you'll only get 2. Excellent move if true imho. Screw the reseller stores and gougers.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-4-purchases-limites-play-store-134437/

dalbir4444
Nov 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Aye, sorry. Where are you?

Canada.

onthecouchagain
Nov 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Also back in stock at Tmobile website: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=Google-Nexus-4

----------

Canada.

In due time, hopefully. Looks like Google is finally getting their ducks in line for this second round. Good luck.

tbayrgs
Nov 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
Well that was a waste. Got a 16GB model in my cart at 2:59 EST, said ships in one to two weeks, hit proceed button, get message saying unable to process due to high demand. Try again and says 'sold out.' Way to go Google. :mad:

Roessnakhan
Nov 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
I am really amazed how quickly this round sold out - like 1-2 minutes? Did they produce 50 this time?

TheHateMachine
Nov 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
It is back up however they are using a system where it just pushes shipping out. 4-5 weeks is now the estimate.

EDIT: and now it is gone again...

ugahairydawgs
Nov 27, 2012, 02:14 PM
This is pretty funny. I don't really have much of a desire to order this phone, but the comical way this is being handled is borderline hilarious for a company the size of Google.

Initially shows up as OOS, hit refresh it is in stock and shipping in a week or two. Add to cart and it is 50/50 that it gets placed in your cart vs error message. If you get it in your cart and go to check out you get an error saying that there is a problem with the service. Try to refresh your cart and presto....its empty.

Guessing there are some angry Android folks right about now.

The Face
Nov 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sweet lord, they didn't make the same mistake again did they..?

dalbir4444
Nov 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Wait. It sold out again! This is a joke. I'm in Canada so it's not even is stock here yet.

I really want to see the sales numbers for this phone.

digital.l0gic
Nov 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
My friend was able to buy his Nexus 4 16gb using this method, and the "The Verge" forums seems to corroborate this.

Here are some screenshots of the comment thread.

http://s12.postimage.org/wszqmfa4b/image.jpg

Amazingly someone was able to order even 45 mins after the sale opened!

tbayrgs
Nov 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
Well Holy $&%#, I just got my order for a 16 GB model placed. I was repeatedly refreshing and clicking proceed and almost missed the change to my screen, I'd been doing it so long. Only took about 4 hours :rolleyes:. Delivery said 2-3 weeks so we'll see if that holds true.

Ericcc
Dec 3, 2012, 01:11 PM
To all my Canadian brethren, good luck today!

ChazUK
Dec 3, 2012, 01:37 PM
Good to see Canadians will get a crack at the whip today. :D

paolo-
Dec 3, 2012, 02:11 PM
YAY managed to order today. I think the canadian ordering wasn't as bad as the US one. I got server overload notices around 15h but didn't get much hanging during the paying process.

oh yeah, shipping in 1 to 2 weeks!

dalbir4444
Dec 3, 2012, 03:14 PM
I freaked out after seeing that the 8GB model was sold out. But thankfully, the 16GB model was still in stock. Surprisingly, everything went smooth in my first try. Although it said 5-6 weeks shipping:(

Oh well. At least I'm in line.

paolo-
Dec 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
Where do you find out how much time until it ships. I saw 1-2 weeks at the time I ordered but I haven't got a confirmation on that in any of my emails.

Ericcc
Dec 3, 2012, 05:08 PM
Where do you find out how much time until it ships. I saw 1-2 weeks at the time I ordered but I haven't got a confirmation on that in any of my emails.

EDIT: The confirmation email/receipt I got does state estimated ship time. Did you get an email right after ordering?

paolo-
Dec 3, 2012, 05:14 PM
EDIT: The confirmation email/receipt I got does state estimated ship time. Did you get an email right after ordering?

Oh yeah, it does hahaha

Estimated Ship:
1-2 weeks

I guess that's as good as it gets!

ChazUK
Dec 4, 2012, 09:08 AM
Looks like it's the UK's turn today.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nexus-4-stock-today-5pm-google-play-store-1391519

:eek:

Jibbajabba
Dec 4, 2012, 11:09 AM
Looks like it's the UK's turn today.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nexus-4-stock-today-5pm-google-play-store-1391519

Yepp - up for sale now ... go go go :)

daveathall
Dec 4, 2012, 11:11 AM
Good luck all those from the UK.:)

daneoni
Dec 4, 2012, 11:21 AM
4-5 weeks turnaround time in the UK. I mean COME ON!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Are they only making 10 units at a time.

ChazUK
Dec 4, 2012, 11:24 AM
My boss ordered one and was sent a 1 to 2 week delivery window. :confused:

Jibbajabba
Dec 4, 2012, 11:26 AM
4-5 weeks turnaround time in the UK. I mean COME ON!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Are they only making 10 units at a time.

My boss ordered one and was sent a 1 to 2 week delivery window. :confused:

4-5 weeks for the 8GB, 1-2 weeks for the 16GB .. colleague just ordered and mail says 3-4 days ...

Cart says "Is Delivered When Available" - which sounds like "You get it when you get it" - nonetheless .. take it or lose out .. simple is that .. (or walk into an O2 shop and pay a 130 quid premium).

daneoni
Dec 4, 2012, 11:41 AM
^
A friend ordered the 16GB model and got 1-2 weeks in the mail. He's currently laughing at me. *sigh*

knucklehead
Dec 5, 2012, 09:31 AM
Hey - I ordered a 16GB yesterday and received the shipping confirmation email about 14 hours later. :)

The order page said 5-6 weeks when I ordered, and still says that now.

ChazUK
Dec 5, 2012, 09:41 AM
Hey - I ordered a 16GB yesterday and received the shipping confirmation email about 14 hours later. :)

The order page said 5-6 weeks when I ordered, and still says that now.

That is great news!

skiltrip
Dec 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
Any word/hunch on when they'll get some more stock in? (posted Dec 23, 2012)

knucklehead
Dec 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
I guess I was just plain lucky in getting mine so quick.

I also had heard that Googles phone support was pretty poor, but it worked fine for me when I needed it. Hopefully, my luck will continue with this phone.

skiltrip
Dec 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Right now I'm getting tempted by the ebay market. Though I refuse to pay much more than 450 for a 16gb. I'd much rather just get it from Google. Wish they hadn't botched up this launch so terribly.

tensiondeadache
Dec 25, 2012, 02:45 AM
I want an 8GB as a backup to my Lumia 920, this supply chain is ridiculous. Not sure LG is ready for the big leagues.

Yasihiko
Dec 28, 2012, 01:46 AM
Any word on a restock here in Canada?

daneoni
Dec 28, 2012, 07:30 AM
Promised a 1-2 week ship date i.e. i was supposed to get it before Christmas. I'm now concluding the 3rd week and entering into the 4th with no phone or updates. Yet i can't cancel my order either. NEVER again will i buy anything from Google. Atrocious. :mad:

Vetvito
Dec 29, 2012, 02:08 AM
New batch supposedly next week. I wouldn't count on it though due to the new year. So, second week of Jan would be about right.

Yasihiko
Dec 29, 2012, 04:03 AM
New batch supposedly next week. I wouldn't count on it though due to the new year. So, second week of Jan would be about right.

Source?

Vetvito
Dec 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
Source?

http://m.androidcentral.com/another-new-wave-nexus-4s-shipping

Yasihiko
Dec 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
http://m.androidcentral.com/another-new-wave-nexus-4s-shipping

Haha tres cool. Too bad I don't have email notifications though.

dkersten
Jan 1, 2013, 04:46 PM
The worst part is, is that I can't even submit an order, even if there is nothing in stock. I just want to submit an order. I don't care how long it actually takes to ship the phone. What a botched up launch by Google.

Anyone hear any more news on when more may be in stock?

samven582
Jan 2, 2013, 10:16 AM
still sold out :(

torana355
Jan 2, 2013, 10:22 AM
I really wanted this phone but Google really did screw themselves, like others have said there should be an order system even if there is no stock atm. I am going to wait for the Samsung S4 now.

jrswizzle
Jan 4, 2013, 09:47 AM
So after doing some research and asking some questions I've decided my Android test phone will be the Nexus 4 - unfortunately it seems I've decided this at a bad time!

I know T-Mobile is supposed to get some stock in this month - do ya'll think that means Google will also have more stock and would T-Mobile sell unlocked versions or only with 2-year contracts in their stores?

daveathall
Jan 4, 2013, 11:21 AM
So after doing some research and asking some questions I've decided my Android test phone will be the Nexus 4 - unfortunately it seems I've decided this at a bad time!

I know T-Mobile is supposed to get some stock in this month - do ya'll think that means Google will also have more stock and would T-Mobile sell unlocked versions or only with 2-year contracts in their stores?

It will come unlocked no matter what the carrier.:)

jrswizzle
Jan 4, 2013, 12:24 PM
It will come unlocked no matter what the carrier.:)

Sure - I was speaking more in terms of pricing, like could I walk into a T-Mobile store and buy an unsubsidized N4. Though after some research it seems T-Mobile's "off-contract" price is something in the neighborhood of $500 correct?

daveathall
Jan 4, 2013, 02:00 PM
Sure - I was speaking more in terms of pricing, like could I walk into a T-Mobile store and buy an unsubsidized N4. Though after some research it seems T-Mobile's "off-contract" price is something in the neighborhood of $500 correct?

Sorry, not sure of the price in the US, I come from England.:)

jrswizzle
Jan 4, 2013, 02:10 PM
Sorry, not sure of the price in the US, I come from England.:)

No problem - I'm feeling somewhat obsessed today about the N4 and have been scouring the web for any information I could find - definitely worth it to wait and get it cheaper through Google......even with all the headaches I've heard about.

I'm not in any hurry - except that I'm excited to try it out! :cool:

Statusquick
Jan 4, 2013, 03:18 PM

I remember reading about this a month ago. I think it stated that t-mobile would sell them off contract, but at $100 more for each model. Although considering the scarcity, I would expect them to keep it for 2 year agreements.

TacticalDesire
Jan 4, 2013, 11:55 PM
It's absolutely pathetic a company the size of google has screwed up a launch so bad. I WANT to give you my money but you're making it hard!!! At least let me submit an order! Something tells me LG is also just as much to blame

tensiondeadache
Jan 5, 2013, 05:23 AM
Took the money I had set aside for an N4 and bought an Xbox 360 and the Rockstar hits game pack. Sorry LG/Google....good try though.

Frankied22
Jan 6, 2013, 03:15 PM
Any idea when Google will get more N4s in stock?

jrswizzle
Jan 7, 2013, 11:39 AM
Any idea when Google will get more N4s in stock?

*sigh* when hell freezes over?

It's a shame too....here I am, Apple fanboy and all, ready to try out Android and the N4 is my device of choice....but I can't get one because Google/LG can't produce more than 400,000 devices after having it out for 2 months?

And to think some complain about Apple's supply chain....haha 5 MILLION in a weekend....

Frankied22
Jan 7, 2013, 02:36 PM
*sigh* when hell freezes over?

It's a shame too....here I am, Apple fanboy and all, ready to try out Android and the N4 is my device of choice....but I can't get one because Google/LG can't produce more than 400,000 devices after having it out for 2 months?

And to think some complain about Apple's supply chain....haha 5 MILLION in a weekend....

Yea it really sucks. There's no way I'm paying $500 for one from eBay or Tmobile either.

jrswizzle
Jan 7, 2013, 02:39 PM
Yea it really sucks. There's no way I'm paying $500 for one from eBay or Tmobile either.

Me either - I'm anxious to get one, but not anxious enough to overspend by $150!

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2013, 02:59 PM
Aren't you guys curious about what's being announced at CES before jumping on this Nexus?

tjl3
Jan 7, 2013, 03:39 PM
It's in stock on t-mobile.com...

PS, I swear if it goes out of stock after I hit post I'm gonna flip out on this board :D

Edit: Or they can make it painfully difficult to pick the pay as you go plan for a non 4G Nexus 4 -_-

cheezeit
Jan 7, 2013, 03:40 PM

PS, I swear if it goes out of stock after I hit post I'm gonna flip out on this board :D

such a premium price though...

tjl3
Jan 7, 2013, 03:46 PM
such a premium price though...

Ya, some reason I thought the price difference was $50, and I wanted to see what the shipping charges would be at the end, since it's probably close enough to $400 after shipping and taxes from Google Play. But at $499, no thanks, I'll wait.

jrswizzle
Jan 7, 2013, 03:52 PM
Aren't you guys curious about what's being announced at CES before jumping on this Nexus?

Nah - I'm still going to be using my iP5 as my main personal device. The N4 is an Android tester which will replace the iP4S I got through work. I have to buy off-contract and the N4 is as cheap as they'll come. Plus I'm not giving up anything (in fact its a little bit of an upgrade) from the 4S to the N4.....

I have an upgrade coming in September so we'll see if I want to make a more drastic change then with some of the cool tech showing at CES.

----------

Edit: Or they can make it painfully difficult to pick the pay as you go plan for a non 4G Nexus 4 -_-

By the way - it's out of stock....

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2013, 03:53 PM
Nah - I'm still going to be using my iP5 as my main personal device. The N4 is an Android tester which will replace the iP4S I got through work. I have to buy off-contract and the N4 is as cheap as they'll come. Plus I'm not giving up anything (in fact its a little bit of an upgrade) from the 4S to the N4.....

I have an upgrade coming in September so we'll see if I want to make a more drastic change then with some of the cool tech showing at CES.
I see. I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade from an iPhone 4 so my choice is a bit tougher. Although AT&T doesn't carry the Nexus 4.

TacticalDesire
Jan 7, 2013, 04:15 PM
I see. I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade from an iPhone 4 so my choice is a bit tougher. Although AT&T doesn't carry the Nexus 4.

Save your upgrade and just get the nexus 4 unlocked when it's available again. just let me get mine first :p

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2013, 04:45 PM
Save your upgrade and just get the nexus 4 unlocked when it's available again. just let me get mine first :p
Ha! :) But seriously, why would you suggest I pay more and get the unlocked Nexus? Why save the upgrade?

PDFierro
Jan 7, 2013, 04:48 PM
Ha! :) But seriously, why would you suggest I pay more and get the unlocked Nexus? Why save the upgrade?

Because it's so cheap unlocked.

daveathall
Jan 7, 2013, 05:02 PM
All Nexus 4s come unlocked. :)

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2013, 05:03 PM
Because it's so cheap unlocked.
But if I renew my 2 year plan with AT&T it would be even cheaper to get a different phone. What's the advantage to an unlocked phone? (serious question, I really don't know)

Thanks...

ybz90
Jan 7, 2013, 05:30 PM
But if I renew my 2 year plan with AT&T it would be even cheaper to get a different phone. What's the advantage to an unlocked phone? (serious question, I really don't know)

Thanks...

It's not really cheaper if you have to renew your contract with the outrageous prices they charge for things like data. The US is one of the few countries where most wireless subscribers still go post-paid instead of pre-paid, though this is still starting to equalize and reverse.

A phone generally really costs around $600-700; you only pay $200 or so for a flagship device because it is subsidized by the carrier. In exchange, you have to agree to a 2-year contract generally, where you really are charged through the nose for services. So in reality, over the life of the contract, you might have saved $400 up front for the actual phone's hardware, but the carrier made it all back and then some by gouging you on your wireless fees.

I'm on T-Mobile and while I am on contract as well, I basically use a grandfathered family plan that's cheaper than prepaid (and I just sell the phones I get when I get an upgrade for even more money). The great thing about using unlocked devices on TMO is that you can use their $5 data plan for non-smartphones, which is unlimited HSPA+ throttled after 5GB, with any unlocked device as they can't tell it's a smartphone since they didn't sell it. Likewise, you could take your unlocked phone to any prepaid carrier and pay for cheaper plans or only pay for what you need, instead of 30+/mo for capped data on major carriers. Plus, it's unlocked, so you can switch carriers if you need to and it's less hassle when you go abroad or travel.

When you consider then that the Nexus 4 is only $300 completely unlocked, then you realize what an outrageous deal that is. Buying unlocked and going prepaid is represents hundreds (maybe over a thousand) in savings yearly even if you go for a $600 phone like the iPhone, but with a Nexus 4, you save another $300. When it costs just a $100 more than a smartphone you get on contract, and you can save in my case, around 600/per line on data alone (and I have four lines) over the life of the contract, the value proposition is tremendous. It's about time carriers stopped having so much control and become the dump pipes they're meant to be.

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2013, 05:47 PM
Thing is, I'm on a Family Plan with AT&T (also grandfathered from years ago) and my wife is only about 6 months into her 2 year contract on her iPhone 4S. Therefore, I basically HAVE TO stick with AT&T for another year and a half since I'm tied to her plan. Know what I mean? Any workaround suggestions, or am I stuck just like I think I am?

Thanks again.

eazy75217
Jan 7, 2013, 06:37 PM
I just called a T-Mobile store here in Savannah, Georgia and the rep informed me that all of the retail stores on the west coast have them but they don't carry them in Georgia. :mad:

Frankied22
Jan 7, 2013, 08:01 PM
I'm not really interested in anything presented at CES. If I use Android I like to stick with the pure google experience with their Nexus line. It runs better and I get updates right away.

PDFierro
Jan 8, 2013, 07:25 AM
Thing is, I'm on a Family Plan with AT&T (also grandfathered from years ago) and my wife is only about 6 months into her 2 year contract on her iPhone 4S. Therefore, I basically HAVE TO stick with AT&T for another year and a half since I'm tied to her plan. Know what I mean? Any workaround suggestions, or am I stuck just like I think I am?

Thanks again.

Well look at the advice given by ybz90.

AT&T will not get the Nexus 4. Whatever smartphone you do get will probably be 100-200 on contract. The Nexus 4 is $300 without one!

If you really want the Nexus, that's why people are suggesting to pay the extra 100 and then save your upgrade for something else down the line.

But sounds like you aren't sure what phone you really want.

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2013, 07:53 AM
If you really want the Nexus, that's why people are suggesting to pay the extra 100 and then save your upgrade for something else down the line.

But sounds like you aren't sure what phone you really want.
Oh, I see. Okay, thanks. Yeah, you're right -- I've had an iPhone since the original 2G iPhone so I'm not sure which phone to "switch" to. But after reading about the new waterproof Sony phone that's due out soon, I might wanna wait to hear more about it.

PDFierro
Jan 8, 2013, 07:56 AM
Oh, I see. Okay, thanks. Yeah, you're right -- I've had an iPhone since the original 2G iPhone so I'm not sure which phone to "switch" to. But after reading about the new waterproof Sony phone that's due out soon, I might wanna wait to hear more about it.

I'm not sure, either. So don't feel bad. I was all set to get the Nexus 4, but then I realized I did not want to leave Verizon at all. I'm down to a selection of 1 or 2 phones, just waiting a little bit longer.

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2013, 07:58 AM
I'm down to a selection of 1 or 2 phones...
Which ones ?

Frankied22
Jan 10, 2013, 08:37 AM
Come on Google restock the N4!

jamojamo
Jan 10, 2013, 09:21 AM
I am interested in picking one up as a secondary device to see how it integrates with the rest of my setup. However, I agree with the earlier posters about picking one up anytime when there are probably newer models coming around the corner.

That's the flip side of the once a year update I guess.

osx-addict
Jan 10, 2013, 09:58 AM
The great thing about using unlocked devices on TMO is that you can use their $5 data plan for non-smartphones, which is unlimited HSPA+ throttled after 5GB, with any unlocked device as they can't tell it's a smartphone since they didn't sell it.

When you activate such a device (e.g. iPhone 3gs for instance), are you buying a SIM via their website or did you visit a TMO store? The reason I ask is that I visited a local TMO store here in the Los Angeles area a few days back and the rep there would NOT sell me a pair of SIM cards -- he wanted me to bring in the phones so they could be activated.. I realize you can buy the SIM cards from TMO's web store and I'm thinking that is how you do this.. Is that a safe assumption?

ybz90
Jan 10, 2013, 11:53 AM
When you activate such a device (e.g. iPhone 3gs for instance), are you buying a SIM via their website or did you visit a TMO store? The reason I ask is that I visited a local TMO store here in the Los Angeles area a few days back and the rep there would NOT sell me a pair of SIM cards -- he wanted me to bring in the phones so they could be activated.. I realize you can buy the SIM cards from TMO's web store and I'm thinking that is how you do this.. Is that a safe assumption?

I would just get them online, it really depends on the local store, some seem stricter than others. Unlocked phones also generally don't need to be activated; there's nothing T-Mobile needs to (or even can) do to the phone. Just plug in the SIM and you're ready to go.

PDFierro
Jan 10, 2013, 04:34 PM
Which ones ?

Not sure. I don't even have a smartphone right now. I was thinking RAZR M or iPhone 5, not a fan of the big phones. Would be awesome if that RAZR M HD rumor is true.

But I like what Nokia does for Windows Phone, and BlackBerry 10 looks really promising.

osx-addict
Jan 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
I would just get them online, it really depends on the local store, some seem stricter than others. Unlocked phones also generally don't need to be activated; there's nothing T-Mobile needs to (or even can) do to the phone. Just plug in the SIM and you're ready to go.

Thanks.. I actually ordered them online this morning from TMO and the total cost was a bit over $2 including free shipping.. Doh! I suspect I would have paid about $6/ea if bought in the store since I got a web-discount.. Hopefully I'll have them soon in my hands to try out.. Gonna sign up for the $30/mo pre-paid to see how that works out.. thx!

jrswizzle
Jan 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
http://www.latinospost.com/articles/9374/20130111/nexus-4-availability-lg-shut-down-production.htm

:(

iAco
Jan 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Google is clueless when it comes to hardware and supply.

I've been waiting 7 weeks for my Nexus 4. Still nothing.

And people are still getting 8-9 week wait times when they order today!

I think Google seriously underestimated demand for a phone so powerful and cheap. I mean seriously Google. By the time your customers get the Nexus 4 we'll be buying the Nexus 5. Google is just a disaster at this. And it's costing all of us time and money. Well, until they resolve their issues they will continue to loose money on existing phones in the market. And that's good. I want them to suffer for their amateur trading skills of physical goods.

It should just stay where it belongs, in software.

jrswizzle
Jan 11, 2013, 09:26 AM
Google is clueless when it comes to hardware and supply.

I've been waiting 7 weeks for my Nexus 4. Still nothing.

And people are still getting 8-9 week wait times when they order today!

I think Google seriously underestimated demand for a phone so powerful and cheap. I mean seriously Google. By the time your customers get the Nexus 4 we'll be buying the Nexus 5. Google is just a disaster at this. And it's costing all of us time and money. Well, until they resolve their issues they will continue to loose money on existing phones in the market. And that's good. I want them to suffer for their amateur trading skills of physical goods.

It should just stay where it belongs, in software.

Who's able to order it today!? I would love to put in an order today - even if it took 8-9 weeks.....at least I'd know I'd be getting one at the regular price (and not the crazy premiums on eBay, t-mobile, amazon, craigslist)...

Grolubao
Jan 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Do you really believe that Google wants people to buy the Nexus 4? They just want to generate hype out of it, they're trying to maintain the number of devices always sold out. They are losing money on each device sold.

Tig Bitties
Jan 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
I am shocked at how the Nexus 4 release has been handled. We are almost into the third month since release, and since last month, it has been sold out, and no longer available to order. I could see it being out of stock, with maybe a 2 - 3 week lead time, but there has been no news whatsoever from Google as to when it will be fully back in stock and for sale again ? Both Google and LG have been very silent in the new year about the Nexus 4.

Some say, it has a 8 - 9 week lead time from order, that's ***** crazy :rolleyes:

What's the real story here ? Is LG to blame for not producing enough ? Is Google to blame, for not ordering enough from LG to start off with, thinking it would be a low volume seller ? Does Google not even care it's not available for sale anymore, because they don't make much money off such a low and cheap seller ?

Maybe Google have an all new Nexus 5 coming sooner, after Google I/O in Summer, with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie ?

vikingjunior
Jan 11, 2013, 12:38 PM
http://bgr.com/2013/01/11/nexus-4-successor-rumor-289453/

dojoman
Jan 11, 2013, 12:39 PM
http://bgr.com/2013/01/11/nexus-4-successor-rumor-289453/

Possibly a newer model with LTE? I'd jump on it if it comes with LTE.

ChazUK
Jan 11, 2013, 01:17 PM

https://plus.google.com/114845009227159887898/posts/6SLyZXLaM3r

IMG:
http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/131.jpg

EDIT: Is this likely to be HSPA+ fauxG or LTE 4g?

Tig Bitties
Jan 11, 2013, 01:24 PM

IMG:

So T-Mobile will be the main provider for the Nexus 4 for now ? Did T-Mobile make a deal with Google and LG to buy up all new batches of Nexus 4, and then once LG is in full swing again with production, it will be back in the Play Store ?

TacticalDesire
Jan 11, 2013, 02:02 PM

IMG:

I think it'd say LTE if it was. I'm pretty sure it's just HSPA+

osx-addict
Jan 11, 2013, 02:24 PM

Correct -- it's only HSPA+ -- NOT LTE

ChazUK
Jan 11, 2013, 02:36 PM

Correct -- it's only HSPA+ -- NOT LTE
That makes perfect sense. Thanks both of you. :)

jrswizzle
Jan 11, 2013, 02:47 PM
Well I'm doubting if I'll ever be able to get one of these now.....

So much for testing out Android. I WILL NOT pay the $100+ premiums on eBay or through T-Mobile and everything else off contract is expensive.

Google/LG really dropped the ball.....I'll hold out some hope that they'll restock - but it seems like a pipe dream.

TacticalDesire
Jan 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
Well I'm doubting if I'll ever be able to get one of these now.....

So much for testing out Android. I WILL NOT pay the $100+ premiums on eBay or through T-Mobile and everything else off contract is expensive.

Google/LG really dropped the ball.....I'll hold out some hope that they'll restock - but it seems like a pipe dream.

I lacked the self control and payed a huge premium to get mine :o

dojoman
Jan 11, 2013, 04:22 PM

IMG:

Just like Att HSPA+ is called 4G not LTE.

jrswizzle
Jan 11, 2013, 04:25 PM
I lacked the self control and payed a huge premium to get mine :o

*Sigh* - if I have the money I probably will as well.....we just have to see.

If I'm going to pay $500+ for one though I'd likely consider a GS3 or Note 2 or wait for something new....one of the main reasons I like the N4 is the price.

Spungoflex
Jan 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
Do you really believe that Google wants people to buy the Nexus 4? They just want to generate hype out of it, they're trying to maintain the number of devices always sold out. They are losing money on each device sold.

Nothing you typed is accurate.

vikingjunior
Jan 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
I just don't think they expected such demand. LG is producing other devices at this time other then the Nexus 4. Sounds like they would have to concentrate on the Nexus 4 only to keep up. Samsung seems to have more resources and would of done a better job at handling the demand. Might be the last LG Nexus you see.

TacticalDesire
Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
*Sigh* - if I have the money I probably will as well.....we just have to see.

If I'm going to pay $500+ for one though I'd likely consider a GS3 or Note 2 or wait for something new....one of the main reasons I like the N4 is the price.

I paid $415+$10 shipping for mine. I wasn't willing to go an extra $100+ for 8 more gigs of storage. Not worth it. I have other phones with SD card slots and a 32gb 5th gen touch to store the bulk of my media.

jrswizzle
Jan 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
I paid $415+$10 shipping for mine. I wasn't willing to go an extra $100+ for 8 more gigs of storage. Not worth it. I have other phones with SD card slots and a 32gb 5th gen touch to store the bulk of my media.

Ya I've started looking for 8gb ones....my problem is still paying a $100 premium over what I could potentially get it for

TacticalDesire
Jan 11, 2013, 07:15 PM
Ya I've started looking for 8gb ones....my problem is still paying a $100 premium over what I could potentially get it for

Yeah, the thought of that was definitely hard to swallow.

3bs
Jan 15, 2013, 11:43 AM
LG deflects blame for Nexus 4 supply issues

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3877318/lg-deflects-blame-for-nexus-4-supply-issues

We've all been blaming LG but maybe it's Google's fault?

Tig Bitties
Jan 15, 2013, 02:13 PM
LG deflects blame for Nexus 4 supply issues

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3877318/lg-deflects-blame-for-nexus-4-supply-issues

We've all been blaming LG but maybe it's Google's fault?

Maybe Google didn't contract high enough quantities with LG ? The Galaxy Nexus I believe only sold around 500,000 units in it's first year, or other sites just saying far less than one million G Nex sold, but I could be wrong. And to date around 400,000 Nexus-4's have been produced in the first two months. Maybe Google never expected 400,000 units in the first two months, thinking that would take well over six months to reach that number of sales, based on the Galaxy Nexus sales ?

Yeah, I put the blame on Google, not ordering enough Nexus-4's to be produced. Way underestimating how many would be needed at launch.

onthecouchagain
Jan 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
The Nexus 4 battery life is decent, but it should be tons better given there's no LTE.

When the heck is 4.2.2 landing? =T

tjl3
Jan 17, 2013, 05:25 PM
This was kind of dumb.

Was at the mall and curious about T-Mo's stock. I asked them if they had any in stock, "yes 7." I was thinking, cool but do they sell it unlocked b/c they only advertised contract prices. Nope, they do not sell it unlocked. I was told if I want to get it off contract I need to buy at $549 and pay for 90 days of monthly 4G, at least the $50 contract. And that they have no unlocked Nexus 4's ... wtf?! Also, $549? Was this guy making **** up?!

FlexPen76
Jan 18, 2013, 09:40 AM
I got in my order on 7th Dec and got the 6-7 week lead time. Thought about it and tried to cancel, but couldn't as I was outside the hour window. So I thought I'd wait it out. Reading all these got me hyped for device and up until today delivery was estimated for 23rd Jan. woke to a mail this morning that my order has been cancelled. Really peeved now!

tjl3
Jan 18, 2013, 09:59 AM
Just noticed this head scratcher and thought i was seeing things, Nexus 4 now $549 retail price at t-mo... up from $499 a week ago...

Saw this yesterday at the store, assumed it was due to the $50 monthly 4G plan...

SlCKB0Y
Jan 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
Do you really believe that Google wants people to buy the Nexus 4?

They would have spent a decent amount in developing the product and marketing it, so yes.

They are losing money on each device sold.

Source? Everything i've read estimates either they are breaking even or making a small profit.

Also, your statement demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge regarding Google's history with hardware launches. Even on devices where they have been making significant profits they've managed to turn it into a farce. It's almost a tradition now.

Your statement also contradicts LG which has stated that Google massively underestimated demand (you know - the logical, non-conspiracy theory explanation) but that they are now massively ramping up production.

mattopotamus
Jan 18, 2013, 10:21 AM
They would have spent a decent amount in developing the product and marketing it, so yes.

Source? Everything i've read estimates either they are breaking even or making a small profit.

Also, your statement demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge regarding Google's history with hardware launches. Even on devices where they have been making significant profits they've managed to turn it into a farce. It's almost a tradition now.

Your statement also contradicts LG which has stated that Google massively underestimated demand (you know - the logical, non-conspiracy theory explanation) but that they are now massively ramping up production.

I would like to see that too...there is no way they are taking a loss on each device.

tjl3
Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 AM

We've all watched The Verge's video on Google's insight to the Nexus 4. But honestly I question how much of it Google actually developed. Sure it has wireless charging, and they dictated the back being made of glass, the chamfered edge, a 16:10 screen, and no physical home button... but its a rehashed Optimus G. They weren't designing it from scratch.

That said, LG can't be thrilled of a device selling w/o their interface, but its win-win for them. I won't even guess how Google goes about contracting a Nexus device. But is it Google that determines how many to ship to other vendors? I can buy that Google dropped the ball on the lack of stock on the playstore, but what about other outlets like T-mo?

SlCKB0Y
Jan 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
But is it Google that determines how many to ship to other vendors? I can buy that Google dropped the ball on the lack of stock on the playstore, but what about other outlets like T-mo?

I would suggest that Google retains absolute control over that stuff, including the total number of units to be produced. This in turn would obviously affect stock levels to all vendors.

maflynn
Jan 29, 2013, 02:57 PM
Looks like the Nexus 4 is now available to order with a ship date of 1 to 2 weeks
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57566443-94/nexus-4-back-in-stock-today-in-the-u.s-too/

jrswizzle
Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 PM
Just put in my order for a 16GB! 1-2 weeks shipping, but I'm hoping it'll be sooner than that.....

Will update when I have shipped confirmation!

FlexPen76
Jan 31, 2013, 05:57 AM
Got my order back in just after UK store got restocked yesterday. Confirmation received today its been shipped. Yay! No sign of the bumper yet though. Boo!

mattopotamus
Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 AM
We've all watched The Verge's video on Google's insight to the Nexus 4. But honestly I question how much of it Google actually developed. Sure it has wireless charging, and they dictated the back being made of glass, the chamfered edge, a 16:10 screen, and no physical home button... but its a rehashed Optimus G. They weren't designing it from scratch.

That said, LG can't be thrilled of a device selling w/o their interface, but its win-win for them. I won't even guess how Google goes about contracting a Nexus device. But is it Google that determines how many to ship to other vendors? I can buy that Google dropped the ball on the lack of stock on the playstore, but what about other outlets like T-mo?

Where the hell is that little device....seems like the nexus 5 will be out before that orb.

Fed
Jan 31, 2013, 01:54 PM
Good news to everyone who ordered their Nexus 4 when they were restocked the other day. I ordered mine at 15:03 in the UK and it's just been shipped. So much for 1-2 weeks! :D

jrswizzle
Jan 31, 2013, 02:01 PM
Good news to everyone who ordered their Nexus 4 when they were restocked the other day. I ordered mine at 15:03 in the UK and it's just been shipped. So much for 1-2 weeks! :D

Hoping that means the US isn't as far behind....maybe shipping confirmation in a few days?

Twixt
Jan 31, 2013, 04:58 PM
I am shocked at how the Nexus 4 release has been handled. We are almost into the third month since release, and since last month, it has been sold out, and no longer available to order. I could see it being out of stock, with maybe a 2 - 3 week lead time, but there has been no news whatsoever from Google as to when it will be fully back in stock and for sale again ? Both Google and LG have been very silent in the new year about the Nexus 4.

Some say, it has a 8 - 9 week lead time from order, that's ***** crazy :rolleyes:

What's the real story here ? Is LG to blame for not producing enough ? Is Google to blame, for not ordering enough from LG to start off with, thinking it would be a low volume seller ? Does Google not even care it's not available for sale anymore, because they don't make much money off such a low and cheap seller ?

Maybe Google have an all new Nexus 5 coming sooner, after Google I/O in Summer, with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie ?

google is loosing 150 to 200 usd on each device, do you really think they wanna ship 50 million of Nexus 4 ? I highly doubt it...

onthecouchagain
Jan 31, 2013, 09:34 PM
Charging orb for $59.99.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01/31/lgs-nexus-4-orb-charger-now-available-for-pre-order-at-pure-mobile-for-59-99/

Nooooo thank you.

My desire to keep the Nexus 4 dims day by day.

Fed
Feb 1, 2013, 02:19 AM
Hoping that means the US isn't as far behind....maybe shipping confirmation in a few days?

I'd hope so, waited long enough!

It's 'Out for delivery' according to tracking! Excellent :D

----------

Charging orb for $59.99.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01/31/lgs-nexus-4-orb-charger-now-available-for-pre-order-at-pure-mobile-for-59-99/

Nooooo thank you.

My desire to keep the Nexus 4 dims day by day.

If its the same as the charging dock that came with the Palm Pre, no thanks.

It was a damn fiddle and very gimmicky.

jrswizzle
Feb 1, 2013, 09:09 AM
I'd hope so, waited long enough!

It's 'Out for delivery' according to tracking! Excellent :D[COLOR="#808080"]

Mine too! I guess they overestimated the shipping time so they didn't piss a ton of people off again.....

Also have a feeling the wait killed a lot of the desire for the phone.

tensiondeadache
Feb 5, 2013, 04:38 AM
Just ordered an 8GB!

Cole Slaw
Feb 6, 2013, 06:28 PM
I ordered a 16 gb Nexus 4 yesterday (Feb 05) and at the time it said "ships 2-3 weeks".
I just now got an email from Google saying it has shipped.
Less than 24 hours after I placed my order.
Can't wait.