Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I picked up the new belkin docks yesterday at the belkin stand in the mall. I called on Monday to see if they had them in stock yet but the guy told me that haven't gotten them in yet but asked me for my number and would call me as soon as they got them. A few hours he called and said they just got them. I got 3 (2 for me and one as a gift)

Here is the link for the dock.
http://www.belkin.com/us/F8J057-Belkin/p/P-F8J057

One nice thing about it is I can still use it with my otterbox commuter case on. Only thing I had to do was cut the little tabs off the bottom of the otterbox case. Since I never kept them "closed" I did not mind cutting them off.

It will also hold the iPad mini.

I took photos of my phone in the dock. I just have to upload the photos.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
The worst dock ever!

I am a big fan of Belkin. they always have the coolest and most innovative stuff out there.
I just got the new iPhone 5 charger dock today. Actually I bought 2...
It is just about the worst accessory you can buy.
At first it looks like a great idea, then you feed the lightning cable through the hole in the dock and then the cable hides under the bottom of it.
Then goes the magnetic plate that acts as a bottom.
Docking the iPhone is easy. Just plug it in, But as soon as you try to take it off the dock, the whole cable comes with it. Even if you try to hold the dock with one hand and then pull the iPhone up, the cable stays attached to the iPhone.
If you already own an iPhone five, you already know the lightning connector is very tight. The old 30 pin connector was more snuggle and I never had trouble taking my iPhone 4S off the Apple dock.

I think it is Apple's fault by not allowing third-party companies to develop their own lightning products. Is very strange that belkin is already developing car chargers with the lightning connector and they chose to use Apple's own cable instead of creating a dock with a built-in connector.

It's so funny that Belkin has a video showing how to assemble the dock and they plug in an iPhone 5 and a new iPod to it but they never show it coming off...

Ridiculous.

I will contact Belkin tomorrow to return the two docks that I bought. They are a waste of money. Until they come up with a dock that has a built-in connector. this is just a waste of money. Don't buy it.

As far as I'm concerned this new lightning connector is a bad move on Apple's part. I understand Technology has to progress, but the lightning to 30 pin adapter being $30 and Not supporting video out on an iPhone 5 is just a disgrace.
Me, like thousands of other people that have a bunch of 30 pin on home accessories, car chargers or USB chargers, etc. are probably hating this new connector right now...
I am.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I am a big fan of Belkin. they always have the coolest and most innovative stuff out there.
I just got the new iPhone 5 charger dock today. Actually I bought 2...
It is just about the worst accessory you can buy.
At first it looks like a great idea, then you feed the lightning cable through the hole in the dock and then the cable hides under the bottom of it.
Then goes the magnetic plate that acts as a bottom.
Docking the iPhone is easy. Just plug it in, But as soon as you try to take it off the dock, the whole cable comes with it. Even if you try to hold the dock with one hand and then pull the iPhone up, the cable stays attached to the iPhone.
If you already own an iPhone five, you already know the lightning connector is very tight. The old 30 pin connector was more snuggle and I never had trouble taking my iPhone 4S off the Apple dock.

I think it is Apple's fault by not allowing third-party companies to develop their own lightning products. Is very strange that belkin is already developing car chargers with the lightning connector and they chose to use Apple's own cable instead of creating a dock with a built-in connector.

It's so funny that Belkin has a video showing how to assemble the dock and they plug in an iPhone 5 and a new iPod to it but they never show it coming off...

Ridiculous.

I will contact Belkin tomorrow to return the two docks that I bought. They are a waste of money. Until they come up with a dock that has a built-in connector. this is just a waste of money. Don't buy it.

As far as I'm concerned this new lightning connector is a bad move on Apple's part. I understand Technology has to progress, but the lightning to 30 pin adapter being $30 and Not supporting video out on an iPhone 5 is just a disgrace.
Me, like thousands of other people that have a bunch of 30 pin on home accessories, car chargers or USB chargers, etc. are probably hating this new connector right now...
I am.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, as frustrating as it was. I was really about to take a shot at this dock but now I'm glad I didn't.

Well... Looks like the wait continues for the perfect dock. I really wished Apple just continued making docks themselves.

stealthboy

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Northern VA
I just got this dock, and overall I'm not impressed. When you use the iPhone 5 without a case, it plugs into the bottom lightning connector fine of course, but doesn't touch the bottom or back of the dock. The iPhone is entirely supported by the small lightning connector. The pictures on the website are misleading, as I really though this dock would support and actually hold the iPhone.

There is a good 1/8" gap on the back and bottom of the phone. I may have to MacGyver something in place to let the iPhone sit flush with the dock surface. I really don't like the fact that the connector is the *only* thing supporting the whole phone. That kinda defeats the purpose of this whole thing, IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.