Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr1lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Hello guys,
it's my first thread here , so sorry if i posted it in the wrong forum , anyhow , I have a problem with my "hosts" file , I want restore my iphone , and I always get this error "The device isn't eligible for the requested build" , so , I looked it up on youtube, and I got several videos showing how to solve this error , and all the videos had the same method , which is to change the bottom line of the "hosts" file , which is this " #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" . now the problem is that my "hosts" file doesn't have such a bottom line, So, if someone has an idea on how can I fix this , it would be great !!
thaks a lot .

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Comment out everything in your hosts file except the first line, which should basically be something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Then it oughta work. Once you're done updating, you may need to un-comment those lines again.

Rob

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
The gs.apple.com line gets added when using applications such as TinyUmbrella when upgrading iPhone firmwares without touching baseband.

What version of the software is your iPhone running, and what version are you trying to restore? You will get this error if you try to restore a firmware older than the one currently installed firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.