PDA

View Full Version : $1.5 Million Worth of iPad Minis Stolen from Airport Warehouse

MacRumors
Nov 15, 2012, 08:48 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/15/1-5-million-worth-of-ipad-minis-stolen-from-airport-warehouse/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/ipad_mini_box-150x212.jpgThe New York Post reports (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/ipad_heist_at_jfk_KUg25OxRZ3Xgpk58H7fXwJ) that thieves managed to steal $1.5 million worth of iPad minis from a warehouse at Kennedy Airport in New York City on Monday night. The heist, which appears to have been an inside job, netted the criminals two pallets containing 3,600 iPad minis.The crooks arrived at Building 261 around 11 p.m. in a white tractor trailer marked with the name CEVA on the side, according to the sources. They pulled up to the side of the airport building that faces onto a street and has less security than the other side, which is accessible from the airport tarmac.

Sources believe someone let them into the area and then let them out after they grabbed the iPads.

They grabbed about 3,600 of the minis that were being shipped by a company called Cargo Airport Services, which said the iPads had just arrived from China and were destined for locations around the US.Three other pallets were left behind when the thieves fled after being approached by a warehouse worker.

The report does not specifically identify which types of iPad minis were stolen in the heist, but with pre-orders of the new cellular-capable models on their way to customers over the next several days, it seems possible that the units were LTE models in the process of being distributed for launch-day sales.

Article Link: $1.5 Million Worth of iPad Minis Stolen from Airport Warehouse (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/15/1-5-million-worth-of-ipad-minis-stolen-from-airport-warehouse/)

kwiiboy
Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
Nice iPad Mini box.

penajmz
Nov 15, 2012, 08:50 AM
Holy crap!

levitynyc
Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
When the iPad 3 came out, my UPS driver told me he had 2 unmarked security cars follow him from the UPS hub to Best Buy to deliver something like 700 iPads.

frayne182
Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
Wow no idea the iPad mini looks like my iPhone 5.

Time to start checking Craigslist in New York for some deals

http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

STiNG Operation
Nov 15, 2012, 08:54 AM
This is the second heist against apple with large sums of money and product this year that were stolen right? Does this happen every year? How can a person honestly get away with stealing these devices, the resale has to be impossible...

frayne182
Nov 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
This is the second heist against apple with large sums of money and product this year that were stolen right? Does this happen every year? How can a person honestly get away with stealing these devices, the resale has to be impossible...

What would be so hard?

Can sell those anywhere. Streets, Kijiji, Craigslist, ebay, etc

Shrink
Nov 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
And the Goodfellas strike again. (For all you movie buffs;))

The hell with the Lufthansa theft...this is big! :eek:

rmatthewware
Nov 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
So if someone offers you iPads from their trunk, these might actually be real for once, rather than a brick.

miralize
Nov 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
What would be so hard?

Can sell those anywhere. Streets, Kijiji, Craigslist, ebay, etc

It would be hard because Apple can track exactly what ipads went missing from their serials, and block them. Not sure if the will, or would, but its still a possibility.

ck2875
Nov 15, 2012, 09:00 AM
I imagine Apple is now simply waiting for someone to power up one of the devices matching the stolen serial numbers (akin to the Steve Jobs iPad that went to the clown).

frayne182
Nov 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
It would be hard because Apple can track exactly what ipads went missing from their serials, and block them. Not sure if the will, or would, but its still a possibility.

Stolen phones/tablets are sold all the time.

My buddy bought a stolen iPhone not knowing online and the carrier was like "you know this was a stolen phone?" He had no idea and they activated it for him.

I don't think they would fully block any of these. Might use them as bait to catch these guys in fact. Its not the consumers fault in the end.

Simplicated
Nov 15, 2012, 09:04 AM
Never seen an iPad mini... Became this mini.

tranceme
Nov 15, 2012, 09:04 AM
I imagine Apple is now simply waiting for someone to power up one of the devices matching the stolen serial numbers (akin to the Steve Jobs iPad that went to the clown).

You're absolutely right. This won't go away. They will investigate and track these items. It's just too much to be ignored. Unless they are shipped out of the country right away, they will be caught.

extricated
Nov 15, 2012, 09:08 AM
Had they managed to get the other three pallets, this would have been a $3.75 Million heist. :eek:

ck2875
Nov 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
On second thought: I bet it was Santa Claus.

If it wasn't him, these thieves missed one hell of an opportunity. I can only imagine how amazing a video of some guys dressed up as Santa and his helpers stealing 3,600 iPads would have looked on the evening news.

SamGabbay
Nov 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
Apple really lost out more because now they have to reship $1.5 million worth of iPad minis to customers who are now not getting it.

ck2875
Nov 15, 2012, 09:14 AM
Apple really lost out more because now they have to reship $1.5 million worth of iPad minis to customers who are now not getting it.

I imagine the shipping company will be the one financially responsible.

phr0ze
Nov 15, 2012, 09:14 AM
3600 X 329 = 1.1 mil (Wifi)
3600 x 459 = 1.6 mil (4G)

Hmm

odditie
Nov 15, 2012, 09:22 AM

Yeah it sucks for Apple, but we are talking about like a 750k-1M loss for a company that has billions in the bank. We are also talking about small group of iPad Minis. If they sold 3 M units opening weekend we are talking about 0.1% of their pre-orders so it isn't going to be a major constraint on their supply by any means.

bacaramac
Nov 15, 2012, 09:24 AM
So for any of you who had delivery dates this week and it has now moved to next week, we know what happened. Haha

reden
Nov 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah it sucks for Apple, but we are talking about like a 750k-1M loss for a company that has billions in the bank. We are also talking about small group of iPad Minis. If they sold 3 M units opening weekend we are talking about 0.1% of their pre-orders so it isn't going to be a major constraint on their supply by any means.

Actually, I think Apple has insurance, so there is no loss, only delivery delays.

bacaramac
Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Actually, I think Apple has insurance, so there is no loss, only delivery delays.

I assume it's not Apple's insurance. I would think the shipping company has full insurance and responsibility for this. Apple doesn't own the shipping companies, they contract out that work.

padrino121
Nov 15, 2012, 09:34 AM

Are you serious? Have you seen the gray market for devices like this, they would get near retail for almost all o them easily..

odditie
Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 AM

Right, I'm just saying that even if you said money wise it would be a small number for them to eat. For quantity it is a small number as well. It sucks, but it isn't going to be something that Tim Cook probably even gets involved with.

Mike MA
Nov 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
Some estimated 7200 folks will see their shipping delay in the near future :D

DennisD7
Nov 15, 2012, 09:48 AM
Why does the article have an image of an iPhone 5 box?

WildCowboy
Nov 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
Nice iPad Mini box.

Yes, it's very mini.

(Fixed...thanks. :))

toby00001
Nov 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Found them...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/syd/3411166095.html

STiNG Operation
Nov 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Are you serious? Have you seen the gray market for devices like this, they would get near retail for almost all o them easily..

Ok thank you so much, I really have no experience in the grey market....Man I need to visit that place more often.

toby00001
Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
some estimated 7200 folks will see their shipping delay in the near future :d

solyd
Nov 15, 2012, 09:54 AM
You're telling me that after Sept. 11, 2001 that these people were able to just waltz into an airport warehouse with a tractor trailer? What the hell? Forget the iPad Minis, what happened to beefing up security this past decade?

dfinecy
Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 AM
Found them...

Wow this looks really sketch...reason #5241 why I don't buy anything on Craigslist. Call the NYPD and arrange a meeting and see where they got them :p

ovrlrd
Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 AM
If these are indeed the cellular ones, you can be certain that the second they are turned on they can track exactly where they are. In fact even if they aren't, the second they connect to Wi-Fi they will know where they are.

No doubt that Apple has a manifest of every single iPad lost and the serial numbers, MAC addresses, and UUIDs.

The only issue is they will likely be sold before they are turned on. But at the very least they can do some investigation into the people who buy them, try to find the sellers.

CylonGlitch
Nov 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
So, if I read this correctly, it tells me that there are 3600 iPad MINI's being sold cheaply somewhere..... hmmmm....

My1stMacWasLisa
Nov 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
Ebay's gonna be busy

atthecross
Nov 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
yikes!

jw2002
Nov 15, 2012, 10:17 AM
You're telling me that after Sept. 11, 2001 that these people were able to just waltz into an airport warehouse

Of course. You do realize that most of the measures implemented are termed "security theater" and are there mainly to keep the Ma and Pa Kettles of the world scared. More security in warehouses? No. More security on freight? Nope.

thekev
Nov 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
Wow this looks really sketch...reason #5241 why I don't buy anything on Craigslist. Call the NYPD and arrange a meeting and see where they got them :p

Someone actually put up a listing like that:rolleyes:? That seems like an overall lack of caution.

macchiato2009
Nov 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
Apple is definitely not good at

- securing products in apple stores
- securing products when leaving factories
- securing delivery dates

GoCubsGo
Nov 15, 2012, 10:21 AM
Apple is definitely not good at

- securing products in apple stores
- securing products when leaving factories
- securing delivery dates

This is not Apple's fault. Are you kidding me that you truly think Apple should have prevented something from being stolen from JFK?

Technarchy
Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
fugetaboutit

madsci954
Nov 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
Found them...

I would pass this info onto the NYPD, it may not be the thieves but could be a lead.

I then ask could someone really be that stupid to steal all those Minis, then post them on CL for sale? I then pause for a brief second and think...yes...

BornAgainApple
Nov 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
Double-down baby!!!

bigjnyc
Nov 15, 2012, 11:03 AM
So, if I read this correctly, it tells me that there are 3600 iPad MINI's being sold cheaply somewhere..... hmmmm....

If these guys are smart they will sell them at retail... No need to sell them any cheaper right now with the demand being so high.

snberk103
Nov 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
Found them...

If this is real, and not a joke, the next headline is going to be how the NYPD recovered most of the stolen shipment.

I wonder if Apple can sell these as new still, or if they will end up on the refurbished pages?

Porco
Nov 15, 2012, 11:19 AM
$1.5million worth of iPad minis!? That's a small fortune! :p

Jason99kr
Nov 15, 2012, 11:23 AM
lol I cans see tear coming out from iPad buyers..

DrStern
Nov 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
Apple could enter all the serial numbers of the stolen iPads into their servers, and effectively "brick" them until they were recovered.

nburwell
Nov 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
Found them...

I simply wouldn't buy from them because of the poor grammar they used in their listing.

gnasher729
Nov 15, 2012, 11:29 AM

If 3,600 iPads were stolen, and if we assume that 3,600 people buy a stolen iPad instead of buying iPads in a store, Apple and other sellers lose the retail price of 3,600 iPads, minus the cost of selling 3,600 iPads that are ready to go in a warehouse.

If these iPads are sold very cheaply to people who otherwise wouldn't buy one, then the loss is the cost of building 3,600 iPads and transporting them to a warehouse, slightly less.

Minus whatever insurance pays. And with that kind of money, people will investigate. If you are detective for an insurance company and get 10% of the recovered loot, what would you be working on right now?

krravi
Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 AM
If this is real, and not a joke, the next headline is going to be how the NYPD recovered most of the stolen shipment.

I wonder if Apple can sell these as new still, or if they will end up on the refurbished pages?

I just ordered a refurb iPad 3rd gen from Apple store. I was under the impression that Apple refurbs are usually customer returns etc and is handled in California, just like my iMac.

But I got the shipping info today and they are being shipped from Shenzen, China. Looks like from the factory itself.

So why is it a refurb?

unplugme71
Nov 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
Explains why my Apple Online Order says "Exception"

----------

If 3,600 iPads were stolen, and if we assume that 3,600 people buy a stolen iPad instead of buying iPads in a store, Apple and other sellers lose the retail price of 3,600 iPads, minus the cost of selling 3,600 iPads that are ready to go in a warehouse.

If these iPads are sold very cheaply to people who otherwise wouldn't buy one, then the loss is the cost of building 3,600 iPads and transporting them to a warehouse, slightly less.

That's what insurance is for. I'm sure the carrier is responsible, not Apple.

Ryth
Nov 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
I would pass this info onto the NYPD, it may not be the thieves but could be a lead.

I then ask could someone really be that stupid to steal all those Minis, then post them on CL for sale? I then pause for a brief second and think...yes...

I would also suggest passing it on...can't hurt...though I'm sure Apple and the NYPD and the shipping company are checking CL...can't hurt.

But yes, people are that stupid...especially unintelligent thieves.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 15, 2012, 11:41 AM

Doesn't matter to the guy that stole them. He sells them on the street or where ever and those that bought it will have no way of finding him again. Seller gets his money and the buyer ends up getting a visit from the police.

----------

In reality, most likely Apple will simply file an insurance claim and call it a day. Why bother wasting the time, money, and resources to attempt to track down each of the stolen iPads when they start hitting the market when they can file a claim, call it a day and move on. That's what insurance is for.

snberk103
Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
Apple could enter all the serial numbers of the stolen iPads into their servers, and effectively "brick" them until they were recovered.

They may, but it may be more complex than that from a PR point of view.

Selling 3600 one by one on Craigslist is going to take a long time, and is full of risk. That's over 3000 chances to get caught by an undercover cop, insurance security person, or an Apple security person. The thieves might actually be that dumb, but I doubt it.

Much more likely is that they will find a legitimate looking electronics store which doesn't mind carrying stuff with a questionable background. Not a pawnshop, but one of those stores that sells watches and cameras and umbrellas, and radios, etc etc. Lots of them in NY.

A tourist comes in looking for batteries for their camera, sees the iPad Minis stacked on a shelf - knows that they are being sold at a few stores besides the Apple Store, can't get one in their home nation for 3 more months... and buys one.

This is a PR problem for Apple, because when do finally get home and turn it on, and it's bricked - Apple has to explain to them that - despite being in a real store - they bought stolen goods. And No, Apple won't refund the purchase price since they didn't actually get paid. And No, Apple definitely won't be refunding the 15% VAT/Duty the tourist paid to their own customs department when they went home.

For the cost of the bad PR, Apple is better off just absorbing the cost, sucking it up, and hiring a better cargo freight company.

-------

And yeah, I'm not pleased (though not surprised, actually) that getting from the street to inside the airport is as simple as that. We know what went out that door, but what came in at the same time?

----------

I just ordered a refurb iPad 3rd gen from Apple store. I was under the impression that Apple refurbs are usually customer returns etc and is handled in California, just like my iMac.

But I got the shipping info today and they are being shipped from Shenzen, China. Looks like from the factory itself.

So why is it a refurb?

I'm just speculating, but it may be that iPads are handled differently and all go back to the plant that assemble them initially. Makes sense, in a way, as the people who know how to put them together, plus all the replacement parts, are there. May be a different contract, however.

Radio
Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
First world problems

pimentoLoaf
Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Let's see... Apple has the serial numbers of the Minis somewhere and ... Apple has this app called "Find My iPhone" and ... ;) Apple will just ping the stolen devices and have no trouble finding them.

There is a way to ping for the serial number only, isn't there?

Of course, the inscribed ones would set off a warning flag to a buyer.

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Our hearts at the MacRumors Forums go out to those of you who won't be receiving your iPad Mini's today/tomorrow on account of this tragedy.

#firstworldproblems

frayne182
Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
Let's see... Apple has the serial numbers of the Minis somewhere and ... Apple has this app called "Find My iPhone" and ... ;) Apple will just ping the stolen devices and have no trouble finding them.

yeah but not if they are never turned on.

And by the time they are turned on and connected to some Wifi it will be in the hands of a consumer.

The mess of rounding up all the iPads will be to much.

mrbunglez
Nov 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
I hope my Cellular ipad mini wasn't one of those stolen in that heist.

Aspasia
Nov 15, 2012, 12:07 PM
You're telling me that after Sept. 11, 2001 that these people were able to just waltz into an airport warehouse with a tractor trailer? What the hell? Forget the iPad Minis, what happened to beefing up security this past decade?

It's more important in NYC to police salt and soda consumption than secure the airports. :rolleyes:

latestmonkey
Nov 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
Just talked to my guy George Glekas. He's expecting a huge shipment of ipad minis in his store tomorrow.

BornAgainApple
Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 PM

So why is it a refurb?

Most are customer returns. But the devices must be shipped back to be retested and run through the QA process again. If something needs to be replaced, it's far cheaper to have the folks in China do it. I buy almost everything refurbished, the exception being my (r)iPad. You still get the same warranty at a great price. And it looks brand new :)

alfmoonspace
Nov 15, 2012, 12:37 PM
Found them...

I would just call them and ask where they got them from :D

BornAgainApple
Nov 15, 2012, 12:39 PM

I'm sure all those MAC addresses are in an ARP table on Apple's servers. As soon as the iPad is booted, they'll have the IP addresses and let the Feds handle it from there. This is gonna be fun to watch. :D

xxnemoxx
Nov 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
Found them...

So
Much
Win

Thunderhawks
Nov 15, 2012, 12:49 PM
That's what you get when you make items too thin and light!

3,600 fit on two pallets.

No loss to Apple.

Since iSuppli knows these are only $ 188.50 a piece or so at cost, it's apr.
$ 700,000 for which the insurance company will have to pay.

Since it's an inside job, they'll have the thieves by tomorrow as people usually can't stop bragging or shut up.

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead"
Benjamin Franklin

Irock619
Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 PM

Hence why the article said this was probably an inside job.

carterja
Nov 15, 2012, 01:10 PM
found them...

lolol

pnoyblazed
Nov 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
It's more important in NYC to police salt and soda consumption than secure the airports. :rolleyes:

blame the Bureaucrats in NY

FooMan2011
Nov 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
That's about 3,246 iPads is you do the average... Also, apple states in there policy they are not responsible for stolen merchandise. Nor will the aid in the recovery. Meaning once those bitches leave their wearhouse it's not their problem.

phr0ze
Nov 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Stealing such a high volume will make them even harder to get legitamately. By stealing so many you can actually sell what was stolen for more than retail and make more than apple would have made. Sad circumstances. I hope my LTE chances are still good tomorrow morning.

SockRolid
Nov 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
[...] The heist, which appears to have been an inside job, netted the criminals two pallets containing 3,600 iPad minis. [...]

And Apple can easily determine the serial numbers (and IMEI / MEID addresses, if cellular-enabled) of every single stolen iPad mini. They could then blacklist all the stolen cellular-enabled iPad minis so they won't work on any carrier.

But Apple won't blacklist the stolen minis until after they have used Find My iPad to put them in "Lost Mode." They'll be locked with a passcode set by an Apple employee back at HQ or wherever. And they'll be very easy to track down. Good luck trying to use one.

Ironduke
Nov 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
And the Goodfellas strike again. (For all you movie buffs;))

The hell with the Lufthansa theft...this is big! :eek:

imagine if they started to wack each other over it:eek:

Ivabign
Nov 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
HENRY
(screams)
JIMMY!!!!!!!!

Gix1k
Nov 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
$1.5million worth of iPad minis!? That's a small fortune! :p

That's a great score if you move them for 275 a piece!! Even $250. Wonder if the serial numbers are known.

LizKat
Nov 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
Just talked to my guy George Glekas. He's expecting a huge shipment of ipad minis in his store tomorrow.

Man I loved The Wire. I just loaded a bunch of episodes onto my mini last week.

I'm not thrilled at the lack of security at jfk though, i really thought things were tighter in the cargo sheds now. So what if it's an inside job, this is post-9/11 and there should still (for forever and a day!) be a lot of random change-ups in how security works out there. Different people on the cameras without notice. Different people working the doors, the forklifts. Same idea as with air marshals. Just putting them out there to be extra human eyes after all the other alleged security checks are done. Do we really want some sleeper guy now doing menial cargo-shuffling and waiting for that special little package to succeed with his part in some very patient plot to bring a really bad night to New York City sometime? What are they thinking that whole pallets of stuff can walk?

otoh what am I thinking. it's not like trade in any contraband suddenly stopped post-9/11, right. Like you said, Glekas is waiting.

Fruit Cake
Nov 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
Time to activate find-my-iPad.. O wait u gotta log in don't you? ;)

kwiiboy
Nov 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yes, it's very mini.

(Fixed...thanks. :))

Anytime.

LizKat
Nov 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
On second thought: I bet it was Santa Claus.

If it wasn't him, these thieves missed one hell of an opportunity. I can only imagine how amazing a video of some guys dressed up as Santa and his helpers stealing 3,600 iPads would have looked on the evening news.

Only thing funnier would be video of Jeff Bezos and Steve Ballmer on some tugboat out in Long Island Sound, weighting the pallets with some concrete blocks... iPad minis about to sleep with the fishes!

Verbatim Cookie
Nov 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
Found them...

Craigslist pulled the ad. :( Anyone got a screencap?
Point taken, but the police force responsible for watching JFK is that of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, not the NYPD or any other City of New York agency. (Also, people forget that the PAPD lost more men and women on 9/11 than the NYPD did.)

Nuttydev
Nov 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
Craigslist pulled the ad. :( Anyone got a screencap?

Thought it would.

wche
Nov 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/3411784122.html

how about this?

Verbatim Cookie
Nov 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thought it would.
Thanks!

The seller's using an 800 number. I don't think someone who wants to be untraceable would do that. A Google search shows the number is used for the website womenslipper.com.

bigjnyc
Nov 15, 2012, 04:17 PM

how about this?

thats really cheap for LTE, definitely looks suspicious.

koban4max
Nov 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Does this mean Apple have to give another one to the people ordered online?

cublah
Nov 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thought it would.

The phone number is the same as this one

http://www.womenslipper.com/contact-us

ActionableMango
Nov 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
First world problems

I'm pretty sure theft occurs everywhere in the world.

rabidz7
Nov 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
They musn't have had much security.

dampfnudel
Nov 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Of course. You do realize that most of the measures implemented are termed "security theater" and are there mainly to keep the Ma and Pa Kettles of the world scared. More security in warehouses? No. More security on freight? Nope.

While passengers go through the TSA ordeal, with freight it's business as usual.

macking104
Nov 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/3412582060.html

Am I mistaken, or is that pile o' iPad minis on a car seat???

reden
Nov 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
I assume it's not Apple's insurance. I would think the shipping company has full insurance and responsibility for this. Apple doesn't own the shipping companies, they contract out that work.

Same context. I have insurance, doesn't mean I own Liberty Mutual.

Moshe1010
Nov 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
Check every employee with a polygraph machine.

madsci954
Nov 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/3412582060.html

Am I mistaken, or is that pile o' iPad minis on a car seat???

And that bag in the lower right isn't a bag, but the plastic material used to wrap pallets ;)

Schmitty11
Nov 15, 2012, 09:10 PM
So, how's that $100 millon security system working for you, JFK?

bushman4
Nov 15, 2012, 09:22 PM
Inside Job!!! Thieves had to know which warehouse iPads would be in. When they would be there. What time .

Thunderhawks
Nov 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Inside Job!!! Thieves had to know which warehouse iPads would be in. When they would be there. What time .

Probably drivers from Korea and Redmond WA

3 Nexus 7s and
12 Surface

were stolen.

Looks like Samsung and Microsoft try to copy everything Apple.

maxwelltech
Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
Wow, that is a huge number of iPad minis stolen. I watched a video on YouTube that shows a thief stealing about 20 MacBook Pros and I thought that was a lot.

bÍte noire
Nov 15, 2012, 09:54 PM
So if someone offers you iPads from their trunk. . .

You are so drunk you are trying to buy an iPad from an elephant.

Noctilux.95
Nov 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
Need to start shopping local craigslist:D

snberk103
Nov 15, 2012, 11:04 PM

Well, actually we already knew that. The report said that someone opened the door from the inside.... :) That's usually a good clue...

SeaFox
Nov 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
I don't think they would fully block any of these. Might use them as bait to catch these guys in fact. Its not the consumers fault in the end.
Possession of stolen property is on the person who has possession of it. Regardless of whether they bought it from someone else or not.

Archer1440
Nov 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
These will end up somewhere in Russia in the next 72 hours. Who do you think is doing the stealing at JFK these days?

joejoejoejoe
Nov 16, 2012, 12:37 AM
always Apple.....never happened to other OS

yusukeaoki
Nov 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
Gotta check craigslist and ebay!

macs4nw
Nov 16, 2012, 03:47 AM
I still don't understand why APPLE doesn't keep track of those serial ##'s
Since it's a 'limited shelf-life time' item, and they thus have to unload them rather quickly, or lose most of their profit, my guess is, they'll get caught. :o

ds2000
Nov 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
Damn, Toretto's up to no good again!

joewillmott
Nov 16, 2012, 03:58 AM
Could this be them?

There's a few listed cheap but this guy says he has many in stock and they're all LTE and by the way he's tiered the pricing, asked for only a bit less than retail price and has a photo of lots of them, it seems legit imo.

Breaking Good
Nov 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
On a positive note, if they are recovered before being sold, we may see iPad mini's with LTE available in Apple's Refurb store next month. :D

mcdj
Nov 16, 2012, 08:57 AM
Could this be them?

There's a few listed cheap but this guy says he has many in stock and they're all LTE and by the way he's tiered the pricing, asked for only a bit less than retail price and has a photo of lots of them, it seems legit imo.

A bit less? A 16gb LTE is $459 retail. He "selling" them for $300. Either it's some kind of empty box scam, a fake, or they are in fact hot.

scat999999
Nov 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
They're probably on a plane back to China already.

StrudelTurnover
Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
Its not the consumers fault in the end.

Actually it is. #1) ignorance of the law is not a defence. #2) black markets exist because people want cheap stuff. You choose where you buy things from. You could go downtown to a retail store, instead of passing a roll of 20s to a guy with a card table on the street, or a craigslist ad that says "hey got a gift from my bro but I need the cash, make ya a good deal".

If nobody, anywhere, at all, bought pills from pharmacy spam e-mails, do you think we'd still have pharmacy spam? If people didn't want to see movies for cheap, would there be people sneaking shaky video cameras into theatres and selling DVDs on the street? Are there organised crime rings forging postage (https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol4no3/html/v04i3a06p_0001.htm) stamps anymore (http://www.filatelia.fi/forglinks/forged-stamps-j.html)? No, criminals go where (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16301130&postcount=12) money (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16301087&postcount=7) exists (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16301043&postcount=5). ;) Supply and demand.

It's the consumers' fault fundamentally, and often on the case by case basis too, because people like getting "a good deal" from "a guy". I've done it, even unwittingly at the time, no doubt of that.

When someone justifies it to themselves, that only makes them part of the problem.

MeFromHere
Nov 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
Doesn't matter to the guy that stole them. He sells them on the street or where ever and those that bought it will have no way of finding him again. Seller gets his money and the buyer ends up getting a visit from the police.

----------

In reality, most likely Apple will simply file an insurance claim and call it a day. Why bother wasting the time, money, and resources to attempt to track down each of the stolen iPads when they start hitting the market when they can file a claim, call it a day and move on. That's what insurance is for.

These insurance policies usually have a clause that obligates the company that suffered the loss to help recover the property. Apple might not have a huge incentive to recover the iPads, but the insurance company does. Insurance companies LIKE to recover the goods and put the thieves behind bars.

rotax
Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
To thwart the resale of these devices and others who would steal them in the future, if I were Apple I'd brick them as soon as they got on a network. In the future, I'd ship them bricked so they could only be unlocked when registered with a proper sale.

frayne182
Nov 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
To thwart the resale of these devices and others who would steal them in the future, if I were Apple I'd brick them as soon as they got on a network. In the future, I'd ship them bricked so they could only be unlocked when registered with a proper sale.

Thats a terrible idea.

And that's essentially what they did with the iPhone before I believe the 4s.

You HAD to have it activated at an Apple store or carrier. It was bogus.

Also bricking iPads for people that might have no clue that it was even stolen is terrible.

My guess is all they will do is flag some and ask where the people bought them from to catch the guys.

LizKat
Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Could this be them?

If "many in stock" then where did did they come from? There's a limit on how many you can waltz in and purchase retail, which means would not be re-selling it right away below retail, and this setup is clearly not an authorized reseller, so... so... ??? They're hot somehow, from somewhere, or they're knockoffs, or empty boxes, or just a scam and when you show up you get robbed one way or another.

Jason Garza
Nov 16, 2012, 04:20 PM

You could activate them at the register sort of like apple gift cards.

MacDav
Nov 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Wow no idea the iPad mini looks like my iPhone 5.

Time to start checking Craigslist in New York for some deals

Image (http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/shady.gif)

Yeah, don't worry the Police and FBI will be checking Craigslist also. Don't waste your time. (yes, I know your joking) :cool: It will be interesting to see if they get caught. They have a limited window of opportunity to get maximum dollar for them. Safer to sell them 3 years from now, but then they get way less money. Most crooks are pretty dumb and will get caught. Wanting to get something for nothing is an attractive idea for some. ;)

Squilly
Nov 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Confirmed, the iPads not from the heist. Pictures are found on numerous web pages after searching Google. http://www.globalpost.com/photo/5724933/ipad-mini-11-05-2011

Good Karma
Nov 17, 2012, 06:09 PM
damn, Samsung steals IP from apple worth billions and pretty much gets away with it :rolleyes:

Arcady
Nov 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
The first person in this group of geniuses has been arrested. The FBI is currently looking for the truck:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/18/ipad-mini-fbi-arrest/?hpt=hp_t3

JCSyd
Nov 19, 2012, 01:04 AM
Can't we just use the Find My 3,600 iPad Minis App? ;)

gnasher729
Nov 19, 2012, 04:16 AM
The first person in this group of geniuses has been arrested. The FBI is currently looking for the truck:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/18/ipad-mini-fbi-arrest/?hpt=hp_t3

I read that some psychologists trying to figure out what makes someone a criminal; it turned out the most important trait was not some inborn evilness or lack of respect for the law, but an inability to consider far away consequences of your actions. According to the article, it should have been obvious to that man that he couldn't possibly not be caught.

maha252
Nov 19, 2012, 04:17 AM
If this so theives have been caught then they are indeed dumb. well most things do end up either in china or Russia . and rarely they get to Africa :rolleyes: