Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seriypshick

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2005
Everywhere
My sister wants to buy an iMac tomorow(actually today since it's 1:42 AM).
Anyways here's what it is: 20in / Superdrive / 1.8 Ghz. / 512RAM / 160GB / 128VRAM / AP / BT / Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Price: $1199 USD.

Is this a good deal?
Also, are there any major problems with this model?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
seriypshick said:
Is this a good deal?
Yes. The same thing from Apple refurbished, with less RAM and no wireless peripherals, would cost you $1400.

seriypshick said:
Sort of; there have been an above average number of failures of the power supplies due to bum capacitors in early-ish G5 iMacs. Yours may or may not be ok depending on its age, whether it's already been fixed, and dumb luck. I believe Apple is covering failures even out of warranty, however, so you're probably ok so long as you're aware that there *might* be an issue.

Of course, if it's still under the original 1-year warranty, I would seriously consider investing the $170 in AppleCare while you have the chance--that'll make you good for another two years and give you some extra peace of mind.

Also note that, although these machines have an above-average failure rate for Macs, the majority still are fine. My brother, for example, has that exact machine, and it's run perfectly for him.

msett

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Please tell me where she is getting that deal. Thats a awesome deal.

Matt

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
make sure to get applecare, as there have been a few issues with the logic boards on these guys, just to make sure.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
P.S. If it really is a 1.8 GHz 20" machine, that means its a rev A, which only has a 64 MB Geforce video card (not 128) that is built in on the motherboard

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Have that same machine , only I got Applecare and upgraded the RAM to 1.25GB.

Simply love this machine, the screen is HUGE and I haven't had a problem yet other than some software stuff. This thing is quiet as a mouse, would buy one again in a second!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I think you need to check your specifications.

If your sister is buying this used, be careful, the REV A original models are on recall for bad midplane board capacitors.
Apple has extended the warranty and will replace the defective board, but I'm not sure if you can transfer the warranty.

If the unit she's considering has already been repaired, that would explain the different specs because Apple is using their newer 1.8 board to replace the defective units.

What she should be getting is the NEW iMac G5 2.0
GHz model that comes with either the 17" WS or 20"
display and does include the 128MB GPU.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
seriypshick said:
My sister wants to buy an iMac tomorow(actually today since it's 1:42 AM).
Anyways here's what it is: 20in / Superdrive / 1.8 Ghz. / 512RAM / 160GB / 128VRAM / AP / BT / Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Price: $1199 USD.

Is this a good deal?

yeah... that model doesnt exsist I would personally go with a brand new imac 20inch get the edu discount with the ipod sell the ipod and your looking at about 1500 dollars + - 50 I would be very cautios of anyone selling an imac with those specs and at that price... a person selling a computer should know that the model doesnt exsist where are you buying from? ebay.

gregorydanger

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
Michigan
AP_piano295 said:
yeah... that model doesnt exsist I would personally go with a brand new imac 20inch get the edu discount with the ipod sell the ipod and your looking at about 1500 dollars + - 50 I would be very cautios of anyone selling an imac with those specs and at that price... a person selling a computer should know that the model doesnt exsist where are you buying from? ebay.

Actually, that model does exist. The price is a little fishy, but the model itself is out there.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
gregorydanger said:
Actually, that model does exist. The price is a little fishy, but the model itself is out there.

Um, no it doesn't. The 20" iMac does come in a 1.8GHz but not with a 128MB graphics card - the 2.0GHz revb comes with the 128 but not the revA.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Agreed - sounds dodgy.

Still, on the topic of the iMac itself, they're great machines! Very zippy, and the screen quality is great. It's certainly a lovely little machine, but make sure you get youself a new model from an Apple Store so you can always go back and shout, and so that you're covered by Apple's warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.