PDA

View Full Version : Samsung and Android Dominating Hard

DanteMann
Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Who would have thought after only 3 years with their Galaxy S line, Samsung would be the one holding fort for Android by a massive margin. And now the World's largest smartphone vendor.

Source (m.gsmarena.com/android_and_samsung_build_on_their_market_shares_in_q3_2012-news-5082.php)

Some say Samsung is the only profitable Android Vendor. With HTC struggling to stay relevant. Samsung is really given most of the credit for Android's growth.

Source (www.androidauthority.com/google-android-control-131562/)

Timzer
Nov 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Those are some devastatingly crushing stats. Awesome, just Awesome. There is no doubt Samsung has a target on it's back.

onthecouchagain
Nov 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
lulz at HTC. I don't know why, but I don't care for them. Maybe cause of their appalling battery life and they're obnoxious insistency on keeping that sleep/wake button on top of large devices. Gross.

What can we expect with the Galaxy S IV I wonder...

Also, aren't Samsung pushing bendable displays for late 2013? Exciting.

3bs
Nov 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
I did not expect HTC to be doing so badly.

LIVEFRMNYC
Nov 15, 2012, 11:45 PM
Wonders if BB10 will give RIM a boost or will they stay flat?

onthecouchagain
Nov 15, 2012, 11:58 PM

Yeah, what exactly happened? People adored them a year or two ago. Then, in 2012, they just spiraled out of control.

Personally, I still think the HTC One X is super overrated.

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Yeah, what exactly happened? People adored them a year or two ago. Then, in 2012, they just spiraled out of control.

I think their weekly new phone release schedule really screwed them over in 2011. :p

I do have to say that the HTC Nexus one was my favourite nexus up until the 4.

LIVEFRMNYC
Nov 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
I believe most people would choose the iPhone over HTC latest phones that also don't include micro SD slot or removable battery. Plus Samsung has done an excellent job in advertising it's exclusive features. What does HTC have that other makes don't?

zbarvian
Nov 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Samsung is the only real successful Android company, and that's terrible. They're an awful company, in case you haven't heard of my hatred toward then.

ReanimationN
Nov 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
Poor old HTC. Google should give them some love and give them the job of doing the next Nexus.

3bs
Nov 16, 2012, 12:16 AM

Overrated in what sense? I love its design but I agree with you on the button being a bit of an issue on top.

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
Samsung is the only real successful Android company, and that's terrible. They're an awful company, in case you haven't heard of my hatred toward then.
H.A.T.E.R.S. = Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success

3bs
Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
I believe most people would choose the iPhone over HTC latest phones that also don't include micro SD slot or removable battery. Plus Samsung has done an excellent job in advertising it's exclusive features. What does HTC have that other makes don't?

Yep everywhere I go I see ads for air browse or whatever it's called on the Note 2 and other features.

F123D
Nov 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
Samsung has done a complete marketing blitz showcasing the S3 and Note II. I can't remember the last time I saw any marketing from HTC or LG.

onthecouchagain
Nov 16, 2012, 12:20 AM
Overrated in what sense? I love its design but I agree with you on the button being a bit of an issue on top.

Sense, the sleep/wake button on top, and the abysmal battery life.

People got so enamored by the design, and I agree the white one looks great, but the ergonomics of the phone were terrible. I always thought it felt clunky and weird in hands. I'm not sure why. Every time I held it, it rubbed m the wrong way. Also, I sort of hate Beats.

However, I think the 8X feels great in the hand (much better than the Nokias).

Dolorian
Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
Poor old HTC. Google should give them some love and give them the job of doing the next Nexus.

Can't see that happening anymore since HTC settled with Apple. Don't think Google would want $8 of each Nexus phone sale going to Apple, let alone to have their Nexus device be under the terms of whatever agreement HTC and Apple reached.

ReanimationN
Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Can't see that happening anymore since HTC settled with Apple. Don't think Google would want $8 of each Nexus phone sale going to Apple, let alone to have their Nexus device be under the terms of whatever agreement HTC and Apple reached.

Yeah, that's very true. I guess that might be a manufacturer crossed off the list for the future. Although a lot of manufacturers are already paying MS royalties, maybe it wouldn't be a factor.

ChazUK
Nov 16, 2012, 01:13 AM

In an interesting twist on that theory, it could be one android phone that Apple couldn't sue over.

Next revision of android on new HTC nexus, immune from Apple lawsuit fun!

matttye
Nov 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
Samsung are coming out with some pretty innovative stuff, so I'm not surprised!

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 06:15 AM

Yes, you certainly make sure everyone knows of your hatred towards a company.

----------

Samsung are coming out with some pretty innovative stuff, so I'm not surprised!

That and they also spent a LOT of money on marketing the GS3.

Nabooly
Nov 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think a part of it has to do with brand recognition. Samsung makes hundreds of different products from microwaves to TVs and so on. HTC has nothing but phones (at least nothing that I'm aware of). Samsung is a hugely popular international company, it's hard to rival them. Coupled with these great looking and performing phones, they did a great job tackling a tough industry. I hope they continue to do well, maybe that will kick apple into gear.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 16, 2012, 11:19 AM

I do. They are apple of the android world. Minor spec bumps along the way but nothing innovative. Plus the battery life on their devices is absolutely horrid.

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
I do. They are apple of the android world. Minor spec bumps along the way but nothing innovative. Plus the battery life on their devices is absolutely horrid.

I'm not sure about this but last I heard HTC released a patch which greatly improved the ONE X's battery life.

TheHateMachine
Nov 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
I wish Motorola was doing better. They had some great designs on their phones that can set them apart. They also seem to be one of the only Android OEMs that put together kits of different materials than your standard plastic/polycarbonate Android devices. My Droid X was made out of Rubberized Aluminum.

That and they also ship vanilla Android with Carrier Bloat.

theluggage
Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Samsung has done a complete marketing blitz showcasing the S3 and Note II. I can't remember the last time I saw any marketing from HTC or LG.

They've been running TV ads here in the UK.

The Samsung ads tell me that, with a Note, I can use the pen to write stuff on the screen.

The HTC ads tell me that, with an HTC, some fashion photographer used one to do a photo shoot while skydiving.

Hmm. Which is the more plausible claim and which would the typical punter find more useful...?

Xtal
Nov 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
They've been running TV ads here in the UK.

The Samsung ads tell me that, with a Note, I can use the pen to write stuff on the screen.

The HTC ads tell me that, with an HTC, some fashion photographer used one to do a photo shoot while skydiving.

Hmm. Which is the more plausible claim and which would the typical punter find more useful...?

Why would you write on the screen when you can use the on-screen keyboard which is faster and less error-prone? That is the useless feature IMO.

onthecouchagain
Nov 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Why would you write on the screen when you can use the on-screen keyboard which is faster and less error-prone? That is the useless feature IMO.

You can do either. The s-pen did not replace the virtual keyboard.

dalbir4444
Nov 16, 2012, 02:44 PM

The pen is for taking notes, drawing, etc. not for typing.

theluggage
Nov 17, 2012, 09:03 AM

Try that on your keyboard!

michaeljohn
Nov 17, 2012, 10:16 AM

That's of no use to fashion photographer, punters or 90% of the general population. Cool for you though I guess bro!

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
That's of no use to fashion photographer, punters or 90% of the general population. Cool for you though I guess bro!

I like how you use facts to support your argument. /s

onthecouchagain
Nov 17, 2012, 10:56 AM

Very cool.

And if iOS offered this sort of flexibility, many would be singing to the tune of "Apple is innovating!"

theluggage
Nov 17, 2012, 11:48 AM

Doesn't have to be math.

If App writers get on board and produce better software, it could get even better.

The Face
Nov 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
Customization is unbeatable on Samsung's devices as well, I haven't owned another device that can do this except for my Note 2.

ChazUK
Nov 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
Customization is unbeatable on Samsung's devices as well, I haven't owned another device that can do this except for my Note 2.

Full tablet ui? Very nice!

Vegastouch
Nov 17, 2012, 12:42 PM

Um, lets not do that. At least not unless Google tells them to put in a good battery which they always seem to fail at.

----------

Just like some have the use for a bigger screen and to be able to attach things with an email.
If you love your iPhone so much, why do you keep coming into the alternative section?

onthecouchagain
Nov 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
If you love your iPhone so much, why do you keep coming into the alternative section?

I'll give you one guess. It starts with a "T" and is banned by the mods here. ;)

He'll claim otherwise, but his own words betray his supposed intentions.

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
I'll give you one guess. It starts with a "T" and is banned by the mods here. ;)

He'll claim otherwise, but his own words betray his supposed intentions.

Poor guy. I think I know who reported him.:)

inhalewaste
Nov 17, 2012, 05:52 PM
Poor guy. I think I know who reported him.:)

Guess you could say the trolling was successful.

F123D
Nov 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
That's of no use to fashion photographer, punters or 90% of the general population.

Glad Samsung cared enough and made a device for the 10% of us.

dalbir4444
Nov 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Guess you could say the trolling was successful.

He's a pro all right.