PDA

View Full Version : Internet for powerbook g4

dsousa
Nov 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
I have a 12" powerbook g4, and am having difficulty with logging onto the internet using my verizon wireless internet box. I checked the verizon coverage and all was working on their end, and it did work ok on another laptop. I can access wifi ok on the powerbook, but cannot at home, so big pain-o. I have searched the online manual and the help on the computer and don't see where i am doing anything wrong. wondered if there is a tip anyone knows that isn't listed that could get it working? The reason listed for not logging in given the network name and password is connection timeout. Is there a way of adjusting the length of time the computer gives to log in to the network? thank you!

eyoungren
Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
I have a 12" powerbook g4, and am having difficulty with logging onto the internet using my verizon wireless internet box. I checked the verizon coverage and all was working on their end, and it did work ok on another laptop. I can access wifi ok on the powerbook, but cannot at home, so big pain-o. I have searched the online manual and the help on the computer and don't see where i am doing anything wrong. wondered if there is a tip anyone knows that isn't listed that could get it working? The reason listed for not logging in given the network name and password is connection timeout. Is there a way of adjusting the length of time the computer gives to log in to the network? thank you!
The maxiumum security that the Aluminum PowerBooks can connect to is WPA2 Personal using TKIP+AES. If your router is set up to use AES only with WPA2 you will encounter this error you report because the Mac connect connect to the router. You've got to be running OSX Leopard.

Older PowerBooks or those with Tiger or below can only connect to WPA Personal networks. Powerbooks running Panther or older can only connect to WEP.

Unfortunately, the default for new routers now days tends to be WPA2 Personal AES. You will need to get into your router somehow and change the security.

donald.t
Nov 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
i would suggest you to reset the device to factory defaults...i wish,,this will work.

mike457
Nov 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
I would suggest buying a USB2 internet stick, such as this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP3802NU2C/), on sale for Black Friday at a great price. It will give you WPA2 and wireless N; I use it on my 12".