Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hmm. I recently won a Silver iPod mini (worth around £130) and I have a little money to spend, and I recently got a job etc. My eMac has a 512MB of RAM and I went and bought 1GB, and it didn't work, and I bought 2x512 (each from different shops. One I didn't even open as the first one didn't work. The one that was unopen - they wouldn't give me my money back, so I'm stuck with a credit note for a shop that sells consumables (ink, paper, DVD-R disks - ARGH!).

I want to buy something to cheer myself up. I already have an iPod Mini (yes, and I won one too!) and I'm happy with it, and I don't really think I would appreciate a Nano. Then I thought about getting a digi cam, but I don't know. (already have a Nikon 2100 although it's not the best).

What should I buy to cheer myself up lol?

I am starting uni on 27th of this month if that gives you any insight.

And no, a new mac is out of the question!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Sucks about the memory. Did you go in saying "I want memory guaranteed for my eMac" or did you say "I'll have one of those sticks on sale there"?

Who in the UK is a reliable Mac memory vendor other than Crucial.uk?

It may be boring, but I would buy an external Firewie hard drive so you can make backups.

Oh, and a security cable to lock the emac down when you take it to Uni.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Well I bought the memory from a local PC shop and one from eBay. I'm hoping to get a full refund for the eBay money.

I'm not moving to University - things are a little different in Scotland :). Because it is such a small country, it isn't really necessary. I'm going to the university of Glasgow, which is 30 minutes away on a train and 8 minutes in a subway :).

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I have considered getting an external harddrive, but I don't think I need it. Like, I don't really have anything that important on my Mac and I have like half of my hard drive free. Would you still recommend it?

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I could buy a new Mac, but I'd be in a little overdraft (which is 0% with my bank because I'm a student yay!). I don't need it. I only got my eMac in January, and it does everything fine :).

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
My question is howcome just because you are a student you say you have no money?

I am a fulltime student and pay for college myself and yet i still buy things to make me happy. It kinda annoys me when people use that as an excuse....

I would still recommend external HD to backup school files.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
The other topic is regarding a Nano vs. memory.

I don't have that much money! In Scotland tuition is paid for (around £2000/$4000 per year of University - so like £8000/$16000 for an honours degree). When you graduate they expect you to pay back £2000.

I also got a bursary/grant because one of my parents, my mum, is unemployed as she suffers from post natal depression and my Dads earnings vary from year to year as he is self employed.

Ohh I've just read your statement correctly, and I'm answered a different question.

I do have money, I just don't have, say £900 to go out and buy an iBook right this very minute. Plus, in America everything is so much cheaper, for example an iBook in the UK is £699 which is $1274 - how much do you pay in America - $999 or £547. THat's a big difference!

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Haha don't, your tempting me

*looks up prices*

Say I get £400 for it (I installed a super drive), I would have to pay like £500 for the iBook, all that money for what? Portability?

Hmmm.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Donate the money to the Red Cross or something. I'm sure that'll make you happier in the long term.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
FearFactor47 said:
What should I buy to cheer myself up lol?

Why is everyone thinking hardware?

How about some Ice Cream? We have a place called Coldstone Creamery that will mix in a bunch of your favorite stuff like crunched up cookies and candybars with carmel drizzled over it with loads of whipped cream.

Now that's what I call a treat.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
rjphoto said:
Why is everyone thinking hardware?

How about some Ice Cream? We have a place called Coldstone Creamery that will mix in a bunch of your favorite stuff like crunched up cookies and candybars with carmel drizzled over it with loads of whipped cream.

Now that's what I call a treat.

oh wow- i hate you- soooooooooooooooo hungry now!!

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :D

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
FearFactor47 said:
I have considered getting an external harddrive, but I don't think I need it. Like, I don't really have anything that important on my Mac and I have like half of my hard drive free. Would you still recommend it?

an external harddrive would be good for making a backup of all your data...whether it's important or not

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
FearFactor47 said:
Lol! Nah, I'm on a diet - I've lost so far 50 lbs.

Congrats! I've lost 17 since July 4th. That's why I suggested it. I'm craving ice cream.

I've been debating getting some of the Weight Watcher Ice Cream treats and keep at the office.

Good luck and Keep up the good work.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Thanks. I started off calorie controlled but found out I lost weight better by significantly reducing my fat intake. Anyway, that's off topic.

Argh I don't know what to do now. Do you think it would be worth me getting an iBook?

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
FearFactor47 said:
Thanks. I started off calorie controlled but found out I lost weight better by significantly reducing my fat intake. Anyway, that's off topic.

Argh I don't know what to do now. Do you think it would be worth me getting an iBook?

If you need/could use it for school I would say, "Yes."

I use a PowerBook every day, several hours a day. I have 3 desktop Macs (in my sig) and an IBM Desktop and Laptop, but I perfer this old G4-400 PB for this type of stuff. It just works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.