Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I know there's been a lot of discussion in the past about all these products that do close to the same thing, but I have been unable to find anything more recent.

When I saw that the new Jawbone had been released, I was originally planning on getting that. The more I poked around and read reviews, the more I heard about the FitBit One. I looked into it, and I was really impressed.

FitBit One: http://www.fitbit.com/one
Jawbone UP: https://jawbone.com/up

Has anyone had experience with both of these devices? What do you think? (Even if it was the first gen Jawbone.)

Why I'm stuck:
The only thing holding me back from getting the FitBit One is it's lack of sleep functions. The Jawbone has a feature where it will wake you up at the best moment possible in your sleep cycle to allow for one to wake up much more refreshed. This is a huge pro for me because I have problems sleeping well.

However, the Fitbit, on the other hand, has a ton more pros: don't have to wear it on your wrist during the day, syncs via BlueTooth, tracks better walking stats, has a display, cheaper, better track record, desktop support, etc..

Any thoughts on this would be great!

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I have always been a fan of Jawbone and own the first generation UP. I really like it, and although I considered the FitBit I think the jawbone is nicer to wear and although it doesn't have bluetooth, the app to sync it is pretty great. Also battery lasts over 10 days for me.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I have always been a fan of Jawbone and own the first generation UP. I really like it, and although I considered the FitBit I think the jawbone is nicer to wear and although it doesn't have bluetooth, the app to sync it is pretty great. Also battery lasts over 10 days for me.

Do you find that the sleep functions work well? What about the reminder after you've been inactive for a while?

simplified587

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
thing holding me back from getting the FitBit One is it's lack of sleep functions.

Hmm, I thought the Fitbit One has the silence alarm as well?

I have never use the Up band personally but I think it would be quite a hassle to have to plug in the band to the device every time you want to sync the info to the app. I said that because the Ultra comes with this cradle that plugs into your PC/Mac that would allow data to be uploaded wirelessly when the Fitbit is near. But even then, I find myself not uploading the data that often (maybe once a week).

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
I had the original UP band and found that while the sleep tracking and alarm features were great, actually wearing the band while trying to sleep was an annoyance due to the split design and how it gets caught when moving an arm. I went with the fitbit after the UP hardware issue bit and I believe that it being a simple clip makes it a much better option, just remember to take it off before washing your clothes, my wife has killed two of them that way.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hmm, I thought the Fitbit One has the silence alarm as well?

I have never use the Up band personally but I think it would be quite a hassle to have to plug in the band to the device every time you want to sync the info to the app. I said that because the Ultra comes with this cradle that plugs into your PC/Mac that would allow data to be uploaded wirelessly when the Fitbit is near. But even then, I find myself not uploading the data that often (maybe once a week).

Yep, it's got a silence alarm, however, the software currently doesn't support two key features that the UP has; power nap and Smart Alarm—waking you up silently at the time that leaves you feeling most refreshed.

Clickio

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Same problem here, I asked it on their forum as well, maybe they give us some confirmation so we can buy it.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Same problem here, I asked it on their forum as well, maybe they give us some confirmation so we can buy it.

Yep, let me know if you hear anything. I actually sent in a support email but haven't heard back yet.

Cybiker

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Yep, let me know if you hear anything. I actually sent in a support email but haven't heard back yet.

The FitBit One does not have a smart alarm, it simply vibrates at the alarm time set and not within a 30 minute window when you are in light sleep (detects movement).

This is the reason why I returned the FitBit One and went with the Jawbone UP rev. 2 and it's working awesome. I haven't tried the power nap feature yet, however. I haven't had to as i've been waking up refreshed due to the smart alarm.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
The FitBit One does not have a smart alarm, it simply vibrates at the alarm time set and not within a 30 minute window when you are in light sleep (detects movement).

This is the reason why I returned the FitBit One and went with the Jawbone UP rev. 2 and it's working awesome. I haven't tried the power nap feature yet, however. I haven't had to as i've been waking up refreshed due to the smart alarm.

Good to know-so you do find that the Smart Alarm actually does as advertised and works?

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012

Here's my thoughts
Motion X is available on the appstore
I've been using it for a month to monitor sleep patterns and steps when I take the train into NYC rather than drive and walk to work from the station. It works very well.
its .99 cents which gives you plenty of $$$ leftover to buy an armband, a few cases and in this economy probably a 1/4 of a tank of gas.

The reason I'm saying this is because UP2 uses Motion X, so save your money and download the app.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I love my Fitbit One, I haven't tried the Up because I had a Nike Fuelband and hated wearing it on my wrist. I had to take it off every time I used my mbp because of it hitting the computer.

I saw this just today and I'm very interested in trying it out. However it's not available yet.

http://www.indiegogo.com/misfitshine

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
That's pretty awesome. Problem is, I could totally see that gaining all the functionality I need in a year, but I really would like something I could start using soon.

Clickio

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012

I thought they had deleted my post, but they didn't, it was just waaaaaay down some pages. Still waiting for an answer, though.

Last edited:

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Yes, it tracks sleep, but as mentioned above, it doesn't have a key feature that the UP does have: Smart Alarm.

Sorry I read that wrong. I've been waiting for the "my basis" to com out for over a year. Might be something you are interested in. It's just taking a while to work out the kinks

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Sorry I read that wrong. I've been waiting for the "my basis" to com out for over a year. Might be something you are interested in. It's just taking a while to work out the kinks

Yeah I saw that a while ago and looks awesome. I think I read somewhere though about the price point being pretty high.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I know there's been a lot of discussion in the past about all these products that do close to the same thing, but I have been unable to find anything more recent.

When I saw that the new Jawbone had been released, I was originally planning on getting that. The more I poked around and read reviews, the more I heard about the FitBit One. I looked into it, and I was really impressed.

FitBit One: http://www.fitbit.com/one
Jawbone UP: https://jawbone.com/up

Has anyone had experience with both of these devices? What do you think? (Even if it was the first gen Jawbone.)

Why I'm stuck:
The only thing holding me back from getting the FitBit One is it's lack of sleep functions. The Jawbone has a feature where it will wake you up at the best moment possible in your sleep cycle to allow for one to wake up much more refreshed. This is a huge pro for me because I have problems sleeping well.

However, the Fitbit, on the other hand, has a ton more pros: don't have to wear it on your wrist during the day, syncs via BlueTooth, tracks better walking stats, has a display, cheaper, better track record, desktop support, etc..

I've had both and prefer the Fitbit One.

Re: the sleep function - my wife and I both had the Jawbone UP and found that no matter when we set the alarm, it would consistently wake us up 25 minutes earlier than set. Didn't seem very "smart" to me. Maybe we both just happen to stir and get restless about 25 minutes before our alarm goes off, but it bugged me. It didn't ever wake me up at the targeted time or in the 30 minutes after.

So it just didn't seem smart to me. Seemed to just trigger at the slightest movement inside the "window." If I wanted to get up 30 minutes early, I'd set my alarm 30 minutes earlier.

I MUCH prefer the Fitbit so that it wakes me up exactly when I want it to and I don't have to wonder or play guessing games with the alarm-setting.

The other thing I prefer about the fitbit is the form factor. I like just keeping it in my pocket. Plus - it tracks cardio much better on ellipticals and treadmills that way where I tend to hold my hands stationary. With the UP - my stationary hands wouldn't register my cardio work so I'd have to either stick it in my sock or pocket or something goofy like that.

Plus - the band is supposed to be warn on your left hand (if you are right-hand dominate) to not register unnecessary activity (like writing, etc), but I can't do that because I wear a watch.

Anyway - just some thoughts off the top of my head...

Last edited:

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
It's going to sound like I work for these guys, cause I keep posting about the Larklife. But I don't, it just seems like the product has the exact balance of features for me.
It adds just the right number of features to the Jawbone and Fitbit:
- the sleep function of the Jawbone Up
- real time bluetooth sync of the Fitbit One
- a dedicated night time band so it is comfortable to wear in your sleep, unlike the Up

What I wish it had:
- the colours of the jawbone
- the sleek styling of the jawbone,
- the power nap feature of the jawbone
- the 10 day battery life of the jawbone (it only has 3 days). However, each band (daytime/nighttime) has its own battery, so you can charge one while you use the other.

That plus it is not available yet.
But I'm thinking it will be the best for me. I will probably buy both it and the Jawbone when the Larklife comes out, and keep the one I like best.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
It's going to sound like I work for these guys, cause I keep posting about the Larklife. But I don't, it just seems like the product has the exact balance of features for me.
- a dedicated night time band so it is comfortable to wear in your sleep, unlike the Up

What I wish it had:
- the 10 day battery life of the jawbone (it only has 3 days). However, each band (daytime/nighttime) has its own battery, so you can charge one while you use the other.

But I'm thinking it will be the best for me. I will probably buy both it and the Jawbone when the Larklife comes out, and keep the one I like best.

It looks interesting, but is it me, or does it look absolutely ginormous in the video?!

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
It looks interesting, but is it me, or does it look absolutely ginormous in the video?!

Yeah it does look a lot bigger, hence me saying the jawbone looks a little more sleek and fashionable.
It is entirely possible, though, that it will not look too bad in real life, and it may be more comfortable, so I'm patiently waiting to buy one and try it out

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008

What I wish it had:

Wow, nice. Any idea of when it ships?

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Yeah it does look a lot bigger, hence me saying the jawbone looks a little more sleek and fashionable.
It is entirely possible, though, that it will not look too bad in real life, and it may be more comfortable, so I'm patiently waiting to buy one and try it out

As long as you are waiting, go ahead and add this to your list. Looks to do some things a bit differently...

http://www.amiigo.co/
http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/17/am...ercise-youre-doing-and-what-its-doing-to-you/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.