PDA

View Full Version : Jony Ive's Design Video for the Twentieth Anniversary Mac

MacRumors
Nov 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/16/jony-ives-design-video-for-the-twentieth-anniversary-mac/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage22.png
OS X Daily points us (http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/16/watch-jony-ive-discuss-the-20th-anniversary-mac-in-1997-video/) to the launch video for the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Anniversary_Macintosh) featuring a much younger and less-polished Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.
For those who don't know, the 20th Anniversary Mac was a limited edition Mac priced at a whopping $7499. It was one of the first all-in-one computers to have an LCD display, and at the time was about as cool as a computer could be. Looking back, it's easy to see how the design and thought of the 20th Anniversary Mac influenced the design of future Macs, especially iMacs.Jony Ive was recently promoted (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/29/management-restructuring-at-apple-forstall-and-browett-out-ive-and-others-add-responsibilities/) and put in charge of all Human Interface teams at Apple, in addition to his existing role as head of Industrial Design.

GIFdBp8rbtA

Article Link: Jony Ive's Design Video for the Twentieth Anniversary Mac (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/16/jony-ives-design-video-for-the-twentieth-anniversary-mac/)

guzhogi
Nov 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
The TAM was one cool computer. I had bought one from eBay, but eventually got rid of it because the CD drive didn't work.

robanga
Nov 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
That was really an amazing design for its time. Nice video.

Rudy69
Nov 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
The TAM was way too ahead of its time (which is mirrored in the price tag).

iMacFarlane
Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
That thing cost the same amount as my first car. Wow.

foobarbaz
Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
Would look better without the chin... ;) SCNR

MrVinney96
Nov 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
Wait… Did I see a BOSE logo on that subwoofer????

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
Friend still has his 20th Anniversary. $10,000 and a guy in a tux delivered it in a limo and set it up for you. Pretty crazy.

DesterWallaboo
Nov 16, 2012, 12:44 PM

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

BOSE is all name.... their products are so-so.

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

MacFly123
Nov 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
The TAM was way too ahead of its time (which is mirrored in the price tag).

That was really an amazing design for its time. Nice video.

Ya, but amazing how far Apple and Jony have come still!

HMI
Nov 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
It almost looks as if it was actually made in the USA. Good times!

MasterHowl
Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM

I've got a small Bose system on my computer desk, and it sounds incredible.

beebler
Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Let's all remember that there was no computer with that level of design at the time.

sananda
Nov 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
There's one of these for sale at Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road (London) in some kind of insolvency sale.

HMI
Nov 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
There's one of these for sale at Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road (London) in some kind of insolvency sale.

How much do they think it is worth now?

mwayne85
Nov 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
Jony Ive had hair? :D

jayducharme
Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
What amazes me most is how little has changed about Ive and his design philosophy. Almost everything he said in that video could apply to his approach to the new iMac or iPhone as well. The man is certainly consistent.

nutmac
Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 PM

Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money. There's this running joke that audiophiles use to describe Bose: "No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!"

robeddie
Nov 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
What strikes me is in fact, how similar this video seems to current Mac ads, and how Ive hasn't changed at all.

As a result, seeing this makes me feel even more that the Mac product launch videos have become very stale and cliche.

nutmac
Nov 16, 2012, 12:55 PM

Only because you haven't heard better speakers that cost less.

robeddie
Nov 16, 2012, 12:57 PM

True.
As they say "No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!"

Stig McNasty
Nov 16, 2012, 12:57 PM

That cost more than ALL of my cars (Austin Mini, MG Midget, MGB, Renault 5 GT Turbo, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406 and another 406).

Oh, except for the Caterham 7 SV Roadsport 150 :D

HMI
Nov 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
Let's all remember that there was no computer with that level of design at the time.

It reminds me of those thin vertical CD players that some people hung on their bathroom shower heads a long time ago. I wonder if that was his inspiration.

massprince
Nov 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'll still tap him

ChrisA
Nov 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
Friend still has his 20th Anniversary. $10,000 and a guy in a tux delivered it in a limo and set it up for you. Pretty crazy.

Price is relative to the time. One of the first computers I got to work on cost literally $12 million dollars. No kidding.

I spent many nights for hours in front of that double tube console. It still has features not present in small PC's and Macs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600
You can see the console with some of the CPU in the background, disks and tape units and printers would be to the operator's back.

At the time $10K was a lot for a personal desktop machine but "cheap" for a "real computer".

Analog Kid
Nov 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
This is so unbelievably fake! I don't believe people would think this is real! Just look at it-- Jony Ive's head looks all wrong, and he's wearing a suit? If you blow the video up to full screen you can see how they made it all blurry to try and hide the photoshop work.

I'm surprised they didn't try filming this in an elevator...

phr0ze
Nov 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
Seriously, we get spam on the board and all we can do is Vote it up?

----------

i'll still tap him

:d:d

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Price is relative to the time. One of the first computers I got to work on cost literally $12 million dollars. No kidding.

I spent many nights for hours in front of that double tube console. It still has features not present in small PC's and Macs
You can see the console with some of the CPU in the background, disks and tape units and printers would be to the operator's back.

At the time $10K was a lot for a personal desktop machine but "cheap" for a "real computer".

I understand that. I wasn't saying anything about the price. You just took that and ran with it. Not sure what all that is about.

I owned Macs that cost almost that much at the time and the external hardware was well over that.

coachingguy
Nov 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
I remember that Jerry Seinfeld, admitted huge Mac addict, had one at his desk for awhile on "Seinfeld".

Coachingguy

tylernol
Nov 16, 2012, 01:16 PM

Bose is not very good. Plenty of other great speaker makers out there.

teknikal90
Nov 16, 2012, 01:27 PM

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

same could be said about Apple. so really, they're a perfect match.

To a regular consumer, Bose sounds great.

EDIT: the man doesn't age!

Detektiv-Pinky
Nov 16, 2012, 01:35 PM

Wow, I just got myself some core memory from Ebay to show my students as an example how bits could be counted physically on early computers. Only to find out that the cores on the CDC_6600 are almost to small to be seen :eek:

I hate it when perfectly good hardware becomes obsolete because of some recent software-fad.

donrsd
Nov 16, 2012, 01:44 PM

Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money. There's this running joke that audiophiles use to describe Bose: "No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!"

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

:)

guzhogi
Nov 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
Bose is not very good. Plenty of other great speaker makers out there.

Something I heard before was "No highs, no lows, must be Bose." I never really played around with Bose speakers so I wouldn't know.

Corrode
Nov 16, 2012, 01:53 PM

Or "Bose: better sound through marketing."

Forced Perfect
Nov 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
I remember a couple years ago, my wife and I were showing our apartment to a series of people to take over our lease.

4 out of the 5 people/couples who saw the place asked me about my TAM and had more questions about that than the apartment. haha

hobo.hopkins
Nov 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
That really was a beautiful computer; it would still look great on a desk even today (which is very telling).

Listening to Ive really makes you appreciate how much thought is involved with even the most minute of details. I'm glad he's in a position of great authority in Apple.

zbarvian
Nov 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
What is that thing? It looks pretty awful.

Gamoe
Nov 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
I remember. I wanted one- But they were rather expensive and not a good deal compared to the other Macs available at the time.

FrizzleFryBen
Nov 16, 2012, 02:00 PM

At Best Buy back in '96 we had a tagline for that "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose".

I will give props to Bose for "big" sound from a small package. But I'll never buy for my home or car (disclaimer: I have a pair of 301s that my brother gave me on my porch). 1970's tech, high THD and WAY overpriced.

rmwebs
Nov 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Makes you realize just how stale and dull Apple's product launch videos have become.

Moonjumper
Nov 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
To a regular consumer, Bose sounds great.

I'm not into audio at all, but the one audio brand I dislike is Bose. Their sound is far too dominated by the bass, even if you turn the bass right down.

bitcloudrzr
Nov 16, 2012, 02:11 PM

I like Better Off with Something Else.

Paradigm speakers and Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors are far better than anything BOSE or Beats will produce. Also a myth that audiophile sound gear costs an arm and a leg too.

coolfactor
Nov 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
What amazes me most is how little has changed about Ive and his design philosophy. Almost everything he said in that video could apply to his approach to the new iMac or iPhone as well. The man is certainly consistent.

This is the first time that I've seen this video, which is amazing because I've been following Apple closely for the past 20 years. It really shows how Steve walked back into an Apple that already had a genius (Ive) working behind the scenes. It just took Steve to capitalize on that and bring Ive's genius to the forefront. He did that.

SeattleMoose
Nov 16, 2012, 02:21 PM

You are entitled to be wrong...

I have compared their products side by side with other high end speakers and all I can say is, you pay for what you get. I have used Bose products now for 3 years and am blown away by both the product design and most importantly, the sound.

MacBoobsPro
I'm in stitches watching that!

"It has fabric on the speakers. And rubber on the top" :D

OH MY GOD, I MUST GET ONE!!!!! :D

winston1236

And ive got a few of their most expensive headsets. Like the man says they are so-so. No highs no lows, must be Bose.

weckart
Nov 16, 2012, 02:28 PM

I've got a Bose sound system in my car (standard equipment). It sounds just like a car stereo. Nobody does unremarkable quite like Bose.

I remember that Jerry Seinfeld, admitted huge Mac addict, had one at his desk for awhile on "Seinfeld".

I don't believe him.

Seinfeld "Mac Fan" (http://www.youtube.com/embed/11NOblvuEpU)

Rettun1
Nov 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Jony Ive is the badass

teknikal90
Nov 16, 2012, 02:38 PM

Paradigm speakers and Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors are far better than anything BOSE or Beats will produce. Also a myth that audiophile sound gear costs an arm and a leg too.

But bose and beats are consumer friendly. they're not the most accurate/capable, but they have clean, consumer friendly designs, and have a 'wow' sound that is appealing to customers. exhibit a: the bose sounddock... look how popular it's become and a lot of people swear by them.

Sort of like iOS vs Android.

expensive, small designs, big (though not the most technologically great) sound...kind of like the iPad mini?

kgian
Nov 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
When I was shopping for a decent sound system I went to the store to listen to bosse. I had good impression hearing them some years before in a friend's house.
After listening to them for 3 minutes I was disapointed.

As for the mac 20th anniversary, I remember it from Seinfeld. Nice rig.

AppleInLVX
Nov 16, 2012, 02:48 PM

Such as? I'm actually curious because I'm looking for something that sounds better than the computer, but is less unruly than the M-Audio reference speakers I use when I record. It's a pain to switch on each speaker and the audio interface, not to mention the cables all over.

Nov 16, 2012, 02:49 PM
I understand that. I wasn't saying anything about the price. You just took that and ran with it. Not sure what all that is about.

I owned Macs that cost almost that much at the time and the external hardware was well over that.

No Mac was ever as expensive as the IIfx anyway...:D

----------

At Best Buy back in '96 we had a tagline for that "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose".

I will give props to Bose for "big" sound from a small package. But I'll never buy for my home or car (disclaimer: I have a pair of 301s that my brother gave me on my porch). 1970's tech, high THD and WAY overpriced.

Well, their noise-cancelling headphones are second to NONE.

anomie
Nov 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
It almost looks as if it was actually made in the USA. Good times!

Made in usa is a no go on many markets.
Maybe assembled in usa - that could work.
But every complex part has to come from Asia or at least Europe.
Just like Harley Davidson motorcycles: always bashing the Japanese but the most complex parts on it came from Japan.
Complex parts from Europe. Only the steel can be done in usa - and that's something every country can manage these days.
We should be glad apple produces in china/Asia these days..

Iconoclysm
Nov 16, 2012, 03:23 PM

That would make those speakers not sound incredible anymore? Not likely.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Nov 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
No Mac was ever as expensive as the IIfx anyway...:D[COLOR="#808080"]

Had a IIfx at one point. Aaaah the II series days. Had a couple IIci's, a IIsi, Iivx, and a Iicx. Went through them all.

ouimetnick
Nov 16, 2012, 03:36 PM

Listen to a real sound system. Not the modern junk, but the quality audio gear.

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose is the most overpriced brand next to Monster. They have decent stuff, but overpriced about 6-8X

hushypushy
Nov 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/236779-seinfeld-1990-1998.jpg

iSayuSay
Nov 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
Funny now many posters bashing Bose being a overpriced knockoff. Better off something else or Buy other sound equipment were funny taglines, and accurate too.

Not that I disagree with that, but does Apple not behave the same?

Way overpriced products (just like Bose)
Sexy n smooth outlook (just like Bose)
So so products n only attract common consumer class (just like Bose)
Many times underspecced (just like Bose)
Always wrap something small thin n light (just like Bose)
No longer makes real "Pro" equipment (just like Bose)

So what makes them any different :rolleyes:

Rocketman
Nov 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
I forgot about the detachable trackpad. Really forward leaning in so many ways. Still have the chin after all these years! No iSight. :) The fictional uses of it fixed that. :D

Had a IIfx at one point. Aaaah the II series days. Had a couple IIci's, a IIsi, Iivx, and a Iicx. Went through them all.Me too!

Rocketman

hushypushy
Nov 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
ha, I just found this too: http://starringthecomputer.com/computer.html?c=30

Batman & Robin (1997)

http://starringthecomputer.com/snapshots/batman_and_robin_20th_anniverary_machintosh.jpg

Children of Men (2006)

http://starringthecomputer.com/snapshots/children_of_men_tam_1.jpg

http://starringthecomputer.com/snapshots/children_of_men_tam_2.jpg

markfc
Nov 16, 2012, 03:59 PM

Much like Apples own products rights? ;-)

bitcloudrzr
Nov 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
But bose and beats are consumer friendly. they're not the most accurate/capable, but they have clean, consumer friendly designs, and have a 'wow' sound that is appealing to customers. exhibit a: the bose sounddock... look how popular it's become and a lot of people swear by them.

expensive, small designs, big (though not the most technologically great) sound...kind of like the iPad mini?

The other good brands are as consumer friendly. Either of those companies offer better sound, designs at the same prices. Don't buy into BOSE bs, you can get significantly better for the same amount of money and easy to use equipmen/nice designs.

dreamyguy
Nov 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
Jony Ive has always spoken like he's just found the cure for cancer...

He's a great designer, but he's good at selling his designs as well. There are a lot of talented designers out there, but only few are good at selling their ideas. No wonder why Steve Jobs ended up hiring him.

Nov 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Had a IIfx at one point. Aaaah the II series days. Had a couple IIci's, a IIsi, Iivx, and a Iicx. Went through them all.

Beautiful machines indeed - and the build quality was simply astounding, especially compared to other PCs...my first Mac was a Quadra 605 (also known as LC 475), very close in design to the IIsi...good times!

teknikal90
Nov 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
The other good brands are as consumer friendly. Either of those companies offer better sound, designs at the same prices. Don't buy into BOSE bs, you can get significantly better for the same amount of money and easy to use equipmen/nice designs.

no I agree. I don't have bose anything except for the sounddock which i got for free.
But I can't agree that UE is as appealing to consumers as beats.

AJClayton
Nov 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.

What do you mean "complete with British accent". You write that as if he hasn't got a British accent any more. He's British and speaks with a British accent. What a ridiculous thing to write.

Glad I got that out of my system. :p

Pegamush
Nov 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
i'd like to know how much that pc can be worth now.. how many have been produced?

somethingelsefl
Nov 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm not so sure this should boost our confidence in Ives. But think about how it was received at the time. The product was widely regarded as out-of-touch, over priced, over-thought, inaccessible, and problematic. Remember, this was the same product that was delivered to homes in limo and seen as a momentous occasion for only a select few. A waste of resources and engineering.

It's easy to look back and say that this product was "ahead of time" when we should have be saying that it was "in the wrong place and the wrong time." Let's hope Apple learned from the mistake.

hondagus87
Nov 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
Klipsch is way better than anything Bose puts out

Kinda like paying 100.00 for a monster Hdmi cable. Bose feeds off ignorance and consumers lack of knowledge to sell you basic speakers.

nutmac
Nov 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Such as? I'm actually curious because I'm looking for something that sounds better than the computer, but is less unruly than the M-Audio reference speakers I use when I record. It's a pain to switch on each speaker and the audio interface, not to mention the cables all over.

Among the small powered speakers, my favorite is Audioengine 2 (aka A2). I also have B&W MM-1, which costs more than twice as much and have better usability and design. While MM-1 has much better upper range, I actually prefer A2 overall. Having said that, A2 scores pretty low on usability, with controls on the back of the speaker.

dashiel
Nov 16, 2012, 05:14 PM

There are still very few computers that match that level of design, not created by Apple. They exist, but they’re the exception that proves the rule.

robanga
Nov 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
There are still very few computers that match that level of design, not created by Apple. They exist, but they’re the exception that proves the rule.

So true - I've owned a few over the years. There was a line from Toshiba around this time called the Infinia and it had a TV tuner card, radio etc. Pretty but not near the design of Apple. Also not 10K :D

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=en&biw=1090&bih=729&tbm=isch&tbnid=ghJXsrJpsgvUwM:&imgrefurl=http://partners.nytimes.com/library/cyber/compcol/0924compcol-manes.html&docid=SrfNvgfwg8cCPM&imgurl=http://partners.nytimes.com/library/cyber/compcol/0924compcol-manes-toshiba.gif&w=225&h=147&ei=fMqmUJCcGuThiAK-nYDgBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=28&vpy=491&dur=232&hovh=117&hovw=180&tx=117&ty=63&sig=115892656749334583014&page=1&tbnh=117&tbnw=180&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:110

I had a Sony Vaio one time that was very interestingly designed but again it was no Apple.

dashiel
Nov 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
Funny now many posters bashing Bose being a overpriced knockoff. Better off something else or Buy other sound equipment were funny taglines, and accurate too.

Not that I disagree with that, but does Apple not behave the same?

No

Way overpriced products (just like Bose)
Compared to? Last I looked Ultrabooks were struggling to meet Apple’s MSRP; 10" tablets were struggling to meet the iPad MSRP. There are pieces of Apple’s line-up that are grossly overpriced (Airport, most of their cables & adapters), but a like for like comparison Apple is rarely “way” overpriced and often right inline with comparable products.

Sexy n smooth outlook (just like Bose)
Apple yes, Bose no. Now Bang & Olufsen*…

So so products n only attract common consumer class (just like Bose)
No longer makes real "Pro" equipment (just like Bose)

Not every profession requires a 12-core Itanium with 64GB of RAM and a petabyte of storage. Louis C.K. edits his television show on a 13" Macbook Pro. I’d wager he does more on that “consumer class” P.C. than most people who post here.

Many times underspecced (just like Bose)
Compared to? Again last time I looked there’s no AIO that competes with the new iMac, there’s nothing even remotely close to the retina Powerbooks or MacBook Airs, nor the new iPad or the iPhone 5.

Always wrap something small thin n light (just like Bose)

Thin & light has never been part of the Bose experience. Maybe small, but not thin & light.

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 16, 2012, 05:31 PM

Except he kept trying to say the backside of the TAM looked elegant. That looked truly terrible. It looked no less complicated than any other computer. The iMac actually looked good from the git-go and has only gotten better with each new design.

PeterQVenkman
Nov 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money.

That sounds eerily like what windows people say about macs.

nutmac
Nov 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
That sounds eerily like what windows people say about macs.

Macs are among the best computers you can buy, and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs. You can get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.

Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

MacSince1990
Nov 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
This is so unbelievably fake! I don't believe people would think this is real! Just look at it-- Jony Ive's head looks all wrong, and he's wearing a suit? If you blow the video up to full screen you can see how they made it all blurry to try and hide the photoshop work.

Are you retarded?

----------

No Mac was ever as expensive as the IIfx anyway...:D\

I thought the IIfx and the TAM were both $10,000? Actually I thought the IIfx was $9,999 lol. Granted, in 1990 money that was more than $10k in 1997 money.

tl01
Nov 16, 2012, 05:48 PM

What's fake? The computer? The footage? Don't really get your post.

wikus
Nov 16, 2012, 05:50 PM

You need to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJTVIoQ0db8

jayducharme
Nov 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
Except he kept trying to say the backside of the TAM looked elegant. That looked truly terrible.

Compared to the clunky mass of ugly ports most computers of the time sported, it was a big improvement, an attempt to organize and hide the slew of cables needed to make a computer of that era useable.

chrono1081
Nov 16, 2012, 05:57 PM

Agreed.

Bose is the reason that at a store I worked at customers coming into purchase surround sound systems for their homes (the fancy kind installed in walls and such) had to listen to at least three different speaker systems before being allowed to purchase and schedule installs.

Before the requirement people would buy off of name and come back unsatisfied (the no highs no lows, must be bose is a pretty accurate tag line) and afterwards we never sold a single Bose system (at least to my knowledge).

They're just not good, they're average at best but great at marketing.

MJL
Nov 16, 2012, 06:12 PM

... and imho the same applies to Apple computers: it is form over function and performance. Take the continued overheating issues, you cannot have the computer run at 100% CPU utilisation for extended periods of time without hitting the limits of Tj which is too hot.

But hey, Apple engineers know that they are doing? Not!

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
Compared to what?

----------

And?

----------

No.
Yes!

mdriftmeyer
Nov 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
That was an embarrassment when it came out. If you think Steve didn't blast it internally, then you weren't there.

What he liked about it was the base, not the screen unit.

Steve reshaped Ivy's talents and built a massive team around him.

If you think Ivy creates all of this then you insult his teams.

macs4nw
Nov 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
Being a limited edition, at that price point, I wonder how many were ever made, and how many are still left in the hands of collectors.

Watching that video, I also couldn't help but notice how 'spoiled' we now are with HD content all around us. Was it really THAT bad only, what.....17 years ago? We certainly have come a looong way.

quasinormal
Nov 16, 2012, 06:54 PM

I'd agree about Bose, but the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro I bought about 5 years ago was the biggest waste of $350 I've spent on any audio gear. Overdone bass, terrible ergonomics and just plain awful. I still have them floating around somewhere unused. It convinced me that anything other than a single armature canal phone, like the Etymotic ER-4P, is just a gimmick.

That said, some people love them, but I would question their taste in audio reproduction.

Joe-Diver
Nov 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have Bose speakers in my center.

However....my 601 series 3 mains, 301 series 3 surrounds and VSS1 shielded center are very old school Bose from the late 80's....back when Bose built some really good speakers. Any my system, as old as it is (the Media amp is new) still rocks the house when needed.

But I do understand the newer product lines are not what used to be.

One of the most incredible sonic experiences I ever had.....a buddy had dual Macintosh Amps driving 4 Bose 901's. This was around 1988. He had the 901's positioned perfectly, about 2' from a hollow space wall. The audiophiles in here will know what I'm getting at...how the 901's worked with direct/reflect sound....and those beautiful (and $$$$$) amps.....it was an amazing experience. The sound was so powerful and rich. It was everywhere, difficult if not impossible to pin down where it was coming from....the room was just full of sound....and it moved through me, like I was a part of the sound. Not painful, blaring or annoying....just very loud, full, rich....and....everywhere. It was a truly amazing use of the amps and speakers as they were designed.

phoenixsan
Nov 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
to what time the presence of Sir Ive started to make appareance in the Mac world.....:):apple:

iSayuSay
Nov 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
No

Compared to? Last I looked Ultrabooks were struggling to meet Apple’s MSRP; 10" tablets were struggling to meet the iPad MSRP. There are pieces of Apple’s line-up that are grossly overpriced (Airport, most of their cables & adapters), but a like for like comparison Apple is rarely “way” overpriced and often right inline with comparable products.

Apple yes, Bose no. Now Bang & Olufsen*…

Not every profession requires a 12-core Itanium with 64GB of RAM and a petabyte of storage. Louis C.K. edits his television show on a 13" Macbook Pro. I’d wager he does more on that “consumer class” P.C. than most people who post here.

Compared to? Again last time I looked there’s no AIO that competes with the new iMac, there’s nothing even remotely close to the retina Powerbooks or MacBook Airs, nor the new iPad or the iPhone 5.

Thin & light has never been part of the Bose experience. Maybe small, but not thin & light.

Last time I checked, a 7" Nexus with cellular, 2560x1440 display and 32GB internal memory costs less than $329 iPad Mini with puny 16GB capacity and WiFi only. Let's add a few dollars for better material and the Nexus would still costs much less than equivalent iPad Mini.

MBA and iPad once were a jewel on their own class. But competitions are now catching up, both price and build quality are getting better and Ultrabooks get lower price point over time.
Macbook Air? As usual, they cost $999 at the least. Till the end of time.
It's so easy to undercut Apple's pricing while keeping a great build quality nowadays, it's not even funny anymore.

iMac .. well yeah, it's a hybrid and compromise between desktop and laptop. Not really portable, not expandable, yet not as powerful as true desktop. Yes it's the best AIO out there simply because no one interested enough to get serious in it.
iMac is far away from how much power a true desktop could have, or how lightweight/portable a true notebook would.

Not to mention 2011 iMac had been keeping the same price point until 2012 iMac announced. No official discount, price cut, nothing .. Shamelessly.

iPhone 5 is even worse. It costs $649 off contract at the least and so many of them scuffed out of the box. And Phil stated shamelessly it was normal for an aluminum product to be dented and scuffed (out of the box?) :rolleyes:
Lumia 920 costs $450, has decent OS, no less sleek or sexy than an iPhone, and it's not scuffed as easily.

denilol
Nov 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
So to all the Bose bashers in here, what should I buy instead?

I'm in the market for something equivalent to the Soundlink Mobile II.

tech4all
Nov 16, 2012, 08:02 PM

Simply untrue. Their speakers are great quality and sound amazing.

Pricey? Yes.

S so? Nope.

----------

Agreed.

Bose is the reason that at a store I worked at customers coming into purchase surround sound systems for their homes (the fancy kind installed in walls and such) had to listen to at least three different speaker systems before being allowed to purchase and schedule installs.

Before the requirement people would buy off of name and come back unsatisfied (the no highs no lows, must be bose is a pretty accurate tag line) and afterwards we never sold a single Bose system (at least to my knowledge).

They're just not good, they're average at best but great at marketing.

Get your ears checked then.

mrgraff
Nov 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
Are you retarded?

What's fake? The computer? The footage? Don't really get your post.
Sigh. After a full four pages, I figured today was the day that everyone in the same thread had a sense of humor.

I guess not.

lilcosco08
Nov 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
Last time I checked, a 7" Nexus with cellular, 2560x1440 display

http://i.imgur.com/kNGL9.png (http://www.google.com/nexus/7/specs/)

cosmichobo
Nov 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
12,000 were manufactured, 11,799 sold to the public in only a handful of countries (USA, Japan, UK, France & Germany), with the remaining 301 held for spare parts, to be used in one of perhaps 2 places globally that were trained to repair the "TAM".

The original price tag did include a chauffeur delivering and setting the machine up for you... though really sales were abysmal until Steve fully took control of Apple again, and said - get rid of them...

The remaining stock was then sold at US$1,999 - in less than 2 weeks. That's when I bought mine, and imported it to Australia, adding to the 10 that were sent here for promotional purposes only (ie not for sale).

At worst, the TAM was a massively overpriced but stunningly beautiful PowerMac 6500, sharing the same chip and a similar logic board. At best, it was a vision of the future of Apple products for the next few decades...

Yes, it has 2 Bose Jewel speakers in the head unit, plus a Bose subwoofer in the power supply unit... and yes, darnnit they sound great... Not saying I'd buy any other Bose product (never have), but the TAM sounds brilliant.

As for that video... it was my first glimpse of Mr Ive, and given the product I was seeing him showcase, I was impressed with his work. The video came with the TAM on a special CD, though there was also another promotional CD used by resellers that had TAMs on display.

They currently sell for around $500 - $2000 on eBay, depending on condition, and whether it has all its boxes.... perhaps more for an unboxed one... (of which there are some around - people stocked up when the price dropped...)

blahblah100
Nov 16, 2012, 09:01 PM

What new iMac? :rolleyes:

I'm also curious how you have such a positive opinion of a product that you likely haven't used?

CapnJackGig
Nov 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Pimp him all you want, but it's still his moronic design that caused all the call dropping problems on the iPhone 4. Him in charge of anything just means that Apple's going to continually fall further and further behind Google.

bitcloudrzr
Nov 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
no I agree. I don't have bose anything except for the sounddock which i got for free.
But I can't agree that UE is as appealing to consumers as beats.

Well not just UE, obviously there are brands that do a lot of different products like AKG headphones. Which I would recommend over beats, especially since their reference sets go on sale at quite a discount. Amazon.com or wherever.

Pricey? Yes.

S so? Nope.

----------

Get your ears checked then.

There is significantly better at comparable or same prices as several members have already stated. BOSE isn't ****, but they aren't good either and very bassy.

I'd agree about Bose, but the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro I bought about 5 years ago was the biggest waste of $350 I've spent on any audio gear. Overdone bass, terrible ergonomics and just plain awful. I still have them floating around somewhere unused. It convinced me that anything other than a single armature canal phone, like the Etymotic ER-4P, is just a gimmick.

That said, some people love them, but I would question their taste in audio reproduction.

Never had experience with them, but then again it does go with what you listen to. I used to use the Triple.fi 10 and now I'm using their new Pro 900s. They are pretty warm, but I mostly listen to rock.

Same with the Paradigm Shift A2s. They are on the warm side, but I mostly game on them and play music second.

iSayuSay
Nov 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
Image (http://www.google.com/nexus/7/specs/)

Fine .. My bad .. 1280x800 .. Fixed
Still higher ppi than iPad Mini.

atMac
Nov 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
He lost me at "what ever a computer is" and kept calling it a "thing" and "product"

bwillwall
Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 PM

I don't think you've heard these speakers on my Retina MacBook Pro! Sounds like freaking surround sound, can even be heard in a room of loud kids.

grue
Nov 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
Bose:

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Their QuietComfort headphones and aviation headsets are their only products worth looking at with anything other than laughter in mind.

cosmichobo
Nov 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think you've heard these speakers on my Retina MacBook Pro! Sounds like freaking surround sound, can even be heard in a room of loud kids.

First to admit I'm not an audiophile... but I could use my TAM as the sound system for a party in my house, without moving the TAM out of my study... only thing I did was connect a 3-changer CD player sound-in port, so I could leave it running longer...

massprince
Nov 16, 2012, 10:38 PM

----------

:d:djust because i complemented his sexiness does not mean its a spam, dumbass

palmerc2
Nov 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
Jony has never really been the exciteful type, has he? Pretty dry. Great designer though that's for sure.

MacDav
Nov 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
Serious, clipping on the audio. :eek: Wow, Jony has hair. :) Brings back old memories. Remember Steve's "Cube"? One of his flops that no one mentions.
I actually wanted one at the time, for audio. It had no fan and so was very quiet. It used the Power PC G4 and had a really small foot print. If you have one of these in good condition, hang onto it, should be worth a lot in 20 years. ;)

DesignerOnMac
Nov 17, 2012, 12:26 AM

I have compared their products side by side with other high end speakers and all I can say is, you pay for what you get. I have used Bose products now for 3 years and am blown away by both the product design and most importantly, the sound.

Back way back. HiFi magazines did A B side by side. And usually people chose the cheaper speakers because the sound was louder. Caring if the system was a two way or three way mattered not, not how tight the sound was. It also depended what type of music that was played, but still in the end the cheaper speakers won out!

G51989
Nov 17, 2012, 12:34 AM

I wouldn't, BOSE makes really bad overpriced products. Tarnish to Apples good name these days.

Anyway.

20th Anniversary Mac, is without a doubt one of the coolest computers ever built.

----------

No offense, but you have low standards if you think any bose system sounds incredible. They sound OK at best.

I'd love for Apple to partner with a company like Cerwin Vega for speakers.

Back to the Mac, as cool as this computer is, and it was a bit before my time. ( I was just getting into HS when this thing came out ). It really kinda summed up what was wrong with Apple at the time, sure it looked great. But it had tons of issues, and came at a HUGE price.

Those were the days....Apple was making crap....( tho this crap looked awesome )....and HP, Dell, and Compaq actually made really high quailty consumer machines.

Oh how times have changed. And Ives hair has fallen out.

mrsir2009
Nov 17, 2012, 12:39 AM

You must have had a pretty nice first car (well, nice for a first car anyway) :)

G51989
Nov 17, 2012, 12:45 AM

No offense man, but if your blown away by the sound a BOSE system makes....time to try a REAL audio brand.

G51989
Nov 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
Macs are among the best computers you can buy.

No, as a Mac/PC Owner for well over a decade, I can tell you that a Mac is no better built than a similar priced PC, its just different. Macs are average on the inside, and shiny on the outside. ( No haters, I currently own 12 Macs )

and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs

You mean much more expensive than a PC with the Same Specs? ( Not the imac, the new iMac stands out, no other apple computer does. Don't say rMBP, the thing lags, bad )

get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.

Then buy a PC in the same price range as a Mac, you should see the HP and Dell and Lenovo business grade laptops, some of them blow Apple Laptops out of the water, but they also cost more than a Apple laptop lol.

Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

Agreed, Ive heard a ton of Bose systems in my life, all of them are just dull and covered in to much bass.

Tho, I got a 50 dollar off Coupon for Bose Over Ear Headphones ( the 170 dollar versions ), gotta say. For under 150 bucks, not bad.

Drunken Master
Nov 17, 2012, 01:07 AM
Pimp him all you want, but it's still his moronic design that caused all the call dropping problems on the iPhone 4. Him in charge of anything just means that Apple's going to continually fall further and further behind Google.

Wow, Antennagate, how blown out of proportion was that incident?

Good times.

----------

Image (http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/236779-seinfeld-1990-1998.jpg)

:)

And don't forget on the Seinfeld "reunion" on Curb Your Enthusiasm, they update it to an iMac (there's also an iPod Nano in a dock on the shelf):

http://f.cl.ly/items/2O0t1N241q0b383a0D31/Seinfeld_iMac.jpg

G51989
Nov 17, 2012, 01:10 AM

Pricey? Yes.

S so? Nope.[COLOR="#808080"]

******? Yep.

Pricey? Yep.

Quality? Nope.

Better price, better sound.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/

tekno
Nov 17, 2012, 01:16 AM
featuring a much younger and less-polished Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.

Actually he had an English accent as there's no such thing as a British accent.

Poisednoise
Nov 17, 2012, 02:03 AM
Actually he had an English accent as there's no such thing as a British accent.

Not quite sure of your point there. Sure, there are many British accents, but he has one, of those many just as there are many English accents. Of course describing it as an English accent narrows it down a bit more than "British", in that we get rid of the Scottish Welsh and Northern Irish variants, but if you think all English accents are the same... If you want to be specific, it's a fairly soft North London, with perhaps a hint of Essex (but that would just be silly to specify in the context of the article). English could mean Bristol, Brum, Liverpool, Newcastle, Surrey, South London, Essex... Need I go on? :) Calling it a British accent is just fine, as surely the point is simply that its not American, and while he undoubtably does still have a British accent, it has most definitely now been influenced by his time in North America.

batchtaster
Nov 17, 2012, 02:58 AM

"Hey, you know that thing you enjoy that gives you pleasure? Well, you're wrong."

ibirmingham
Nov 17, 2012, 03:38 AM

It's not about specs, it's about the experience....(sarcasm)

Nozuka
Nov 17, 2012, 04:02 AM
i do not see the beauty in this device.

RichardI
Nov 17, 2012, 05:52 AM
It looks like an Edsel. Ives is just an industrial designer - a very good one but a designer only. He does not have vision. I hope all you Apple fanboys are not hanging your hat on him..... Beauty cannot replace quality.
Sadly, there is no new Steve Jobs at Apple.

tekno
Nov 17, 2012, 06:07 AM
Not quite sure of your point there. Sure, there are many British accents, but he has one, of those many just as there are many English accents. Of course describing it as an English accent narrows it down a bit more than "British", in that we get rid of the Scottish Welsh and Northern Irish variants, but if you think all English accents are the same... If you want to be specific, it's a fairly soft North London, with perhaps a hint of Essex (but that would just be silly to specify in the context of the article). English could mean Bristol, Brum, Liverpool, Newcastle, Surrey, South London, Essex... Need I go on? :) Calling it a British accent is just fine, as surely the point is simply that its not American, and while he undoubtably does still have a British accent, it has most definitely now been influenced by his time in North America.

If he was Glaswegian, they'd have commented on his Scottish accent. Ive is from England, his accent is English.

ihuman:D
Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
Macs are among the best computers you can buy, and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs. You can get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

Don't forget the 1440p IPS display INCLUDED in the iMac too!

----------

Last time I checked, a 7" Nexus with cellular, 2560x1440 display and 32GB internal memory costs less than $329 iPad Mini with puny 16GB capacity and WiFi only. Let's add a few dollars for better material and the Nexus would still costs much less than equivalent iPad Mini.

MBA and iPad once were a jewel on their own class. But competitions are now catching up, both price and build quality are getting better and Ultrabooks get lower price point over time.
It's so easy to undercut Apple's pricing while keeping a great build quality nowadays, it's not even funny anymore.

iMac .. well yeah, it's a hybrid and compromise between desktop and laptop. Not really portable, not expandable, yet not as powerful as true desktop. Yes it's the best AIO out there simply because no one interested enough to get serious in it.
iMac is far away from how much power a true desktop could have, or how lightweight/portable a true notebook would.

Not to mention 2011 iMac had been keeping the same price point until 2012 iMac announced. No official discount, price cut, nothing .. Shamelessly.

iPhone 5 is even worse. It costs $649 off contract at the least and so many of them scuffed out of the box. And Phil stated shamelessly it was normal for an aluminum product to be dented and scuffed (out of the box?) :rolleyes:
Lumia 920 costs $450, has decent OS, no less sleek or sexy than an iPhone, and it's not scuffed as easily.

Hmmm, last time I checked you could upgrade the cpu, gpu, ram, hdd etc.
It uses DESKTOP cpus, gpus and ram. The 680mx in the BTO 27'' is the same performance wise to an underclocked DESKTOP 680 and knowing Apple they probably overclocked it! It also includes a 1440p IPS display which cost a lot of money on their own. So really the iMac is an OK of not good deal compared to other hardware.

EDIT: Have to agree about the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920.

World Citizen
Nov 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
How was Safari on this one? snappy?

janstett
Nov 17, 2012, 06:46 AM

A lot of people used to say the same thing about Apple and a lot still do.

If one were of that opinion, an Apple-Bose linkup would be more apt than ever.

In fact, before the Apple Stores existed probably the closest thing to them was the Bose factory stores -- high end mall locations, style, presentation... In fact if memory serves a lot of the early Apple stores were intentionally trying to get into the same places Bose stores did and several were even co-joined from stories I've heard -- portions of the walls knocked down so customers could browse either store without leaving through the front door. I know in my local upscale mall the Apple store was two doors down from the Bose store with all the expensive niche storefronts. It has also moved twice to bigger space since the begining.

Astroexe
Nov 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
To me, this design is the most dated of Apple products: Compared with The Cube, the "Lampstand" iMac, the colours ad, the original iPod mini.. all these designs have a certain characteristic which is distinguished and polished.. this design looks like the era it came from more than anything else. As a time piece, I guess, it worked... but it's certainly not the best of Ive's work.

Rogifan
Nov 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
It looks like an Edsel. Ives is just an industrial designer - a very good one but a designer only. He does not have vision. I hope all you Apple fanboys are not hanging your hat on him..... Beauty cannot replace quality.
Sadly, there is no new Steve Jobs at Apple.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Matrixfan
Nov 17, 2012, 07:13 AM
Somehow it makes me assured on some level that Ive is looking after both sides of design from now on. IMHO after Panther, but mainly after Tiger the design of Mac OS somewhat moved away from being a high-tech computer OS to sometimes being kind of "cute", which personally I am not too fond of. I dare to say that the first Mac OS X with the Aqua interface was awesome! And till Leopard there were some really awesome new features in the OS. Exposé was simply mind blowing. Don't get me wrong, facebook integration and quick tweets from the notification center are nice touches, but nowhere near the innovation that Jaguar, Panther and Tiger brought. And sadly there were some alterations that hindered productivity. For example I don't like how messed up the "save as" feature is. Some buttons are removed from the Finder, so handling/ejecting disk images are IMHO less user friendly. Exposé is still not the same in 10.8, but not bad. I think with Ive in charge there may be a chance now tho rethink design on software levels too, pointing it to a more advanced direction. And by design I mean the whole HW-SW integration, features and function. I think the absence os Bertrand Serlet is a real loss, he had major role in serious "under the hood" stuff that make the smooth eye candy work at the user level.

everything-i
Nov 17, 2012, 07:27 AM
With British accent? He sounds almost exactly the same today, not sure what your getting at:confused:

the8thark
Nov 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
This Mac was great. Not for the specs. Not that flash. More for the design. The exact thing Jon and his team did. Even if you hate some of Jon's work, you have to admit without it you'd never have the products we do today.

G51989
Nov 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
This Mac was great. Not for the specs. Not that flash. More for the design. The exact thing Jon and his team did. Even if you hate some of Jon's work, you have to admit without it you'd never have the products we do today.

This Mac looked great, talk to anyone who actually owned one. It was not a great machine. But your right, it LOOKED great. Thats about it.

And no, we would still have the same products we do today with or without Ive, the vast majority of PCs still follow the Tower/Monitor format, AIOs existed before this one as well.

He makes cool stuff, but he isn't responsible for all the products we have today.

If you wanna give a company that kinda credit, look at IBM. Probably the most innovative and inventive company to ever exist.

cosmichobo
Nov 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
This Mac looked great, talk to anyone who actually owned one. It was not a great machine. But your right, it LOOKED great. Thats about it.

And no, we would still have the same products we do today with or without Ive, the vast majority of PCs still follow the Tower/Monitor format, AIOs existed before this one as well.

He makes cool stuff, but he isn't responsible for all the products we have today.

If you wanna give a company that kinda credit, look at IBM. Probably the most innovative and inventive company to ever exist.

Looked good, and yes, it wasn't a top spec machine for its day, but it was still very capable, especially with the TV/FM card and video in card.

The iMac G4, the Cube, the Mini... all owe a debt to the TAM.

peterlobl
Nov 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
?) :rolleyes:
i checked your posts and you always just bash apple no matter what product/competitor and roll your eyes .. are you shorting apple stock and which chaebol is paying you?

dashiel
Nov 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
What new iMac? :rolleyes:

I'm also curious how you have such a positive opinion of a product that you likely haven't used?

Previous and current iMac ownership + reviews & benchmarks from the new Mac mini which historically underperforms concurrent iMacs, especially with RAM restrictions (i.e. Mac mini tops out at 16GB iMac at 32GB). It’s speculative, but not without precedent.

Colpeas
Nov 17, 2012, 09:47 AM

I'd be happier if they'd opt for Altec Lansing or Harman/Kardon. They both make decent speakers...

Bose, on the other hand, is not that great for the money, and Beats is absolute garbage.

Macist
Nov 17, 2012, 09:59 AM
I'd be happier if they'd opt for Altec Lansing or Harman/Kardon. They both make decent speakers...

Bose, on the other hand, is not that great for the money, and Beats is absolute garbage.

Yes. Pure marketing - 'Ooh, it's Bose so they can utterly change the physics of sound by making some small box sound like a full HIFI! Oooh, Beats, it's like the bassiest thing ever thanks to the power of Dre!'

In the late 90s people were raving about totally flat NXT speakers. They looked cool and sounded okay considering their design but still utter junk compared to a good traditional speaker.

dashiel
Nov 17, 2012, 10:46 AM

The Nexus 7 you describe does not exist, but you’re right a roughly equal Nexus 7 is cheaper than an iPad mini. Of course you’re cherry picking specs; you conveniently forget to mention the lack of LTE on the Nexus 7; or the fact it has dramatically worse battery life (like 65% of the iPad mini); a noticeably smaller screen (web browsing in landscape is awful); or the cheap build quality.

Show me some reviews of products that are cheaper than Apple, but have the same build quality. I’ve yet to see one, outside of perhaps Lenovo which make some top notch kit.

Oh really? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Desktop-Computers/All-in-One-Computers/abcat0501005.c?id=abcat0501005

Supply & demand.

So many? How many? And what exactly is your point? Should we judge the Nexus 7 on the small number of units that started to fall apart or Google’s ridiculous exchange policy (i.e. send us your Nexus we’ll get it back to you in 2 weeks).

The Lumia 920 is a great phone and Windows 8 is a wonderful OS. I’m really hoping Nokia/Microsoft succeed with the Lumia series, they both bring something valuable and unique to the mobile phone market, it’s certainly vastly superior to Android. Simple facts though, when you’re desperate to (re)gain market share and you can’t markedly outperform the competition you have to compete on price.

Eso
Nov 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
What stuck out to me was how the video asked more questions than it answered.

mixel
Nov 17, 2012, 01:02 PM

True! Apple have worked with H/K though, on various models if I remember correctly, they had H/K speakers (the lamp iMac's blob speakers, and I think some of the G4 Powermacs? Maybe more models).. H/K generally seem to have *much* superior fidelity when compared to BOSE, which sounds muddy to me.

sulpfiction
Nov 17, 2012, 01:49 PM

IMO, Bose is on par with beats headphones. At one time Bose made an ok speaker. But now they are ALL name. If u spend money on Bose, u got ripped off.

Personally, My ears like Paradigm.

gmanist1000
Nov 17, 2012, 01:56 PM

I think Bose speakers are best in-class, the prices... are too high though.

sananda
Nov 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
How much do they think it is worth now?

I didn't really notice the price.

I was busy checking out its looks. Which didn't do a lot for me!

JAT
Nov 17, 2012, 03:27 PM

It cost 3 times as much as my first car.

Karma*Police
Nov 17, 2012, 03:56 PM

They get a bad rap from some audiophiles the same way Apple gets a bad rap from spec whores. The fact of the matter is, sound is *very* subjective, and as someone who has invested over $10K in my audio system, based on what I've heard in stores and from a few people's Bose systems, I would say that Bose makes some quality products.

They do charge a bit more than what you can get from comparable systems, but like Apple, they offer integrated systems that are very simple to set up and have retail outlets where you can go to for support.

Regarding headphones, personally, their OE headphones are a bit heavy on bass for my taste so I use AKG reference headphones, but when it comes to earbuds, I've been using their IE2's, and for the price, I've yet to experience anything better; mainly because I can't stand true IE's, no matter how good they sound.

JAT
Nov 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
If people are still talking about Bose....

Please keep in mind that Bose makes many different products. When one person says they are great, they may be talking about a completely different product than the next guy who hates them. The bass-heavy issues are really just tuning to appeal to moronic 20yo folks. And it's not even good bass, just extreme boosting in certain ranges. Bose is hardly the only company that does this.

Here's a few thoughts from a crazed (but poor) audiophile that has listened to many Bose products. When I bought my 3rd stereo system at 18yo (2nd I paid for), I went out with the purpose of buying Bose satellite/sub speakers, because of the marketing and what other people thought of them. I listened to them and other sub/sats and couldn't understand why they didn't sound as good. I ended up listening to far more speakers than I had planned to, which is now the advice I would give to anyone shopping for speakers. I bought something else.

"No highs, no lows, must be Bose" dates back to the Bose 901 speakers, I believe. A 9-driver speaker that gave a unique sound. However, every driver was a midrange, about 3", IIRC. Hence the no highs no lows. They had some good characteristics, but overall did not have adequate range to satisfy picky listeners.
Their other "regular" speakers have been up and down, but are not too bad for quality or price. Someone mentioned some 301s and generally their 300-800 series were decent and an ok price compared to others in the market. Everybody likes different speakers, these were fine.
Their headphones are pretty good, and they were one of the first to put out a decent noise-cancelling model. I kinda hate to say it, considering my next point, but they did a great job pioneering these in the market.
Their Acoustimass cube systems are overpriced junk. That is the nicest thing I can say about them. For all their blathering about R&D and whatever, they have not updated these speakers since the early 90s. Measuring them is a joke, as the speakers miss major frequency ranges completely, to the tune of -24db or more. The drivers themselves are the cheapest things they can possibly manufacture. There is zero nice to say.
The Wave tabletop systems do some funky sound shaping to get a fairly broad sound out of minimal drivers. They sound ok, but are pricey since most aren't looking for spiffy sound in an alarm clock.
Both the Acoustimass and Wave were designed to shape to what Bose thinks people want to hear. The AMs esp are "good enough", but they really aren't. The problem is, what people think they want to hear and what they really want/need are different things. The best speaker system is one that perfectly plays back whatever sound you send it, with no coloration and equal ability (flat response, anechoic) in all audible frequencies. If you want to color it for some reason, do that in processing, not in the speaker design. Bose does not make such speakers. Maybe their headphones.
The one thing I really haven't listened to, surprisingly, is their iPod dock speakers. I think, like the Wave stuff, they are expensive but decent in the genre.

I'm not saying the above opinions should be absolutely true to everyone, but I assure you this is objective and based on being an audio nut in many different ways. Just today I helped install a 20+ speaker PA system where we had to pull out a calculator to make sure we wired them properly. That's what I do for fun.

I lost track, whomever said Paradigm...I concur. Excellent sound.

iSayuSay
Nov 17, 2012, 05:33 PM
i checked your posts and you always just bash apple no matter what product/competitor and roll your eyes .. are you shorting apple stock and which chaebol is paying you?

Unlike you, I am a Apple fan and I don't mind to admit if they do something off, or silly, or wrong.

Poisednoise
Nov 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
If he was Glaswegian, they'd have commented on his Scottish accent. Ive is from England, his accent is English.

I'm assuming you're from the British Isles yourself. Yes Ive is English, and so's his accent, but that's not terminology that's used in North America - had he been from Aberdeen even they'd still have described it as a British accent. I also am from the England, and I've just spent 5 months in the US and Canada. Nobody remarked on my English accent. They remarked on my British accent, presumably because that way they were covering more bases (to use a baseball analogy :P). You may object to the terminology, because it's not as precise as yours, but it's not wrong, and it's what they use in North America, in much the same way as you are likely to describe Dolly Parton for instance as having an American accent. Some Americans might object and say that no, her accent is quite clearly Southern - Appalachian hills even if you want to be really precise. But that doesn't mean that you're wrong to describe it as American - you're simply being more generic. In the UK we don't tend to discriminate between the different variants of American accent, partly because we can't. Likewise, in the Americas they talk about British accents, without further qualification. I don't see why you consider that wrong - it's not.

...And this is horrendously off-topic. Sorry. Erm, if it helps the topic, I'm a musician, and I agree Bose speakers tend to be poor on the whole... :)

the8thark
Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 PM

I agree with you. But I didn't say AIO's would not exist without Ive. I more meant the AIO's would be not as well designed today as they are in general without Ive. And IBM has had a few pretty innovative people too. I'd say more in other areas then how pretty computers can look. They to in their own right have done their own things.

trunten
Nov 17, 2012, 06:32 PM

The nexus 7 is being sold at cost (or possibly lower) and makes foolish people think that computer hardware is worth peanuts.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/nexus-7-component-costs/

fertilized-egg
Nov 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
The nexus 7 is being sold at cost (or possibly lower) and makes foolish people think that computer hardware is worth peanuts.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/nexus-7-component-costs/

Speaking of that, this Engadget article discussed the very same issue. http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/03/editorial-amazon-and-google-are-undermining-mobile-pricing/

Then the commenting crowd really brought out their pitch forks, accusing the Engadget writer trying to "excuse" the iPad mini's rip off pricing.

That reaction was interesting in that it seems when Microsoft blamed the OEMs for not making sufficiently interesting products, the same commenting crowd agreed with Microsoft, and decided it was the fault of OEMs such as Dell, HP, Acer, and Asus for not making good hardware.

But why would those companies make such crappy commoditized hardware? It's precisely because the hardware game became a race to the bottom with small margin, which culminated when the Netbooks ruled the roost. Yet the same people who think they should stop making commoditized low margin products, think high margin products are nothing but rip off and the race to the bottom is acceptable. :confused:

spork183
Nov 17, 2012, 07:01 PM
It's precisely because the hardware game became a race to the bottom with small margin, which culminated when the Netbooks ruled the roost. Yet the same people who think they should stop making commoditized low margin products, think high margin products are nothing but rip off and the race to the bottom is acceptable. :confused:

Well Put! Clearly the Egg came first!

Radio
Nov 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
Ya, but amazing how far Apple and Jony have come still!

Wow isn't he just so full of **** how he talks up things?!

bwillwall
Nov 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
First to admit I'm not an audiophile... but I could use my TAM as the sound system for a party in my house, without moving the TAM out of my study... only thing I did was connect a 3-changer CD player sound-in port, so I could leave it running longer...

Yes but it had a dedicated subwoofer lol Which in my opinion isn't something Apple would likely be planning to bundle or even create. Imagine getting your incredible all in one iMac with a single cord for power and taking up only the deskspace of a screen, then having a giant tower looking subwoofer that you are forced to wire the whole thing through. Apple has grown from that, they know people who want better sound systems can buy them from other people, and they will do the best they can in their small packages.

By the way, you owned a TAM!? Are you loaded or something those things were like $10,000

PeterQVenkman
Nov 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
Macs are among the best computers you can buy, and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs. You can get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.

Annnnd... it still sounds like what windows people say.

cosmichobo
Nov 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
Yes but it had a dedicated subwoofer lol Which in my opinion isn't something Apple would likely be planning to bundle or even create. Imagine getting your incredible all in one iMac with a single cord for power and taking up only the deskspace of a screen, then having a giant tower looking subwoofer that you are forced to wire the whole thing through. Apple has grown from that, they know people who want better sound systems can buy them from other people, and they will do the best they can in their small packages.

By the way, you owned a TAM!? Are you loaded or something those things were like $10,000

Whilst pictures will show the TAM set up with the subwoofer/base section on your desk, most TAM owners I knew put it on the floor under the desk. It's a sub - doesn't need to be in a special position, and yes - takes up space otherwise. So you had the power cable going into the base unit, then the "umbilical" cord running from that up to the head unit. So, in terms of desk space - the TAM and the modern iMac would in fact be very similar. Actually - the TAM's keyboard was designed to slide under the TAM when not in use, so possibly the TAM beats the iMac.

I had my hifi sitting on a table next to my desk, and a mini-din audio cable connecting it to the TAM, out of sight - so no biggie. It was certainly a better option than the Cube's/iMac G4's Harmon Karmon sound package, with all external speakers.

As per my post on page 4, I bought my TAM when Steve had them marked down to only $1,999. The $10,000 price tag was I believe only an estimated price given at MacWorld 1997, though when they went on sale, it was for $7,499. This price was reduced several times over 1997, until the firesale that saw all remaining stock sell out very rapidly. With postage and import duties/exchange rate, it cost me around AU$4,400. Certainly am not rich... but I'd dreamed of owning one since they were first announced, so wasn't going to miss the opportunity.

Still own my TAM... Get plenty of people asking if I want to sell it... the answer is, and will always be, No!

blackhand1001
Nov 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
The Nexus 7 you describe does not exist, but you’re right a roughly equal Nexus 7 is cheaper than an iPad mini. Of course you’re cherry picking specs; you conveniently forget to mention the lack of LTE on the Nexus 7; or the fact it has dramatically worse battery life (like 65% of the iPad mini); a noticeably smaller screen (web browsing in landscape is awful); or the cheap build quality.

Show me some reviews of products that are cheaper than Apple, but have the same build quality. I’ve yet to see one, outside of perhaps Lenovo which make some top notch kit.

Oh really? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Desktop-Computers/All-in-One-Computers/abcat0501005.c?id=abcat0501005

Supply & demand.

So many? How many? And what exactly is your point? Should we judge the Nexus 7 on the small number of units that started to fall apart or Google’s ridiculous exchange policy (i.e. send us your Nexus we’ll get it back to you in 2 weeks).

The Lumia 920 is a great phone and Windows 8 is a wonderful OS. I’m really hoping Nokia/Microsoft succeed with the Lumia series, they both bring something valuable and unique to the mobile phone market, it’s certainly vastly superior to Android. Simple facts though, when you’re desperate to (re)gain market share and you can’t markedly outperform the competition you have to compete on price.

Umm many reviewers actually got better battery life with the nexus 7 especially during video playback.

iGrip
Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
His head looks like Steve's used to with the whole chrome dome thing he's got going on now. Will we see him regrow his hair?

It seems like his veracity is unchanged since he made this vid.

aliasfox
Nov 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
The TAM was electronically pretty much the same thing as a PowerBook 3400, with a slightly faster processor (250mhz vs 240mhz). Even the keyboard and screen were the same, if I recall correctly.

For those who are asking about sound systems that are better than Bose:

- For significantly less than a Bose audio cube surround sound system, get a KEF surround sound set up that sounds better and more stylish

- For an iPod dock, the B&W Zeppelin blows the Sounddock out of the water.

- For a movie oriented system with real speakers, Paradigm Mini Monitors will provide a good punch

- For a budget, good all around system, build either a stereo or surround system off of PSB Alpha B1 speakers ($280/pair) and a midrange Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer receiver. PSB's Imagine towers that go for ~$3k/pair sound incredible too.

Personally, I run a pair of B&W 804s speakers for my fronts, MM-1 for my surrounds, off of a McIntosh amplifier (fronts) and Denon receiver (preamp processor and rear amps).

zephyrnoid
Nov 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Good. But he needs to call me :)

iMacFarlane
Nov 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
You must have had a pretty nice first car (well, nice for a first car anyway) :)

Brand new 1988 Hyundai Excel, on the lot, stickered at $7499. I was 19 years old.

The engine in that thing was ludicrously underpowered. If I was going 55MPH on the highway, downhill, and the air conditioner kicked on, it would slow down. Not kidding!

cosmichobo
Nov 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
The TAM was electronically pretty much the same thing as a PowerBook 3400, with a slightly faster processor (250mhz vs 240mhz). Even the keyboard and screen were the same, if I recall correctly.

The TAM and PB3400 certainly shared the same keyboard (internals) and similar processor, even the same sized screen. The TAM of course had a lot more connectivity and video in/out capabilities however.

When Steve dropped the price on the TAM, any existing owners who complained about having paid the original higher price were bribed with a PowerBook (or 2!)... Not sure which model any more, but would laugh if it was the 3400...

theanimaster
Nov 17, 2012, 11:03 PM
So THATS where all the other companies copied the specked-metal finish for their plastics!

----------

I guess that's why they no longer produce the iPod HIFI?

http://www.w3sh.com/wordpress/wp-content/upload/designtopdefault20060228.jpg

mrsir2009
Nov 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
Brand new 1988 Hyundai Excel, on the lot, stickered at $7499. I was 19 years old.

The engine in that thing was ludicrously underpowered. If I was going 55MPH on the highway, downhill, and the air conditioner kicked on, it would slow down. Not kidding!

Jesus, that thing must have had a tiny engine - Because usually (well, in my experience, anyway) small cars are quite zippy because of their light weight, so they don't need that big of an engine...

...At least it had airconditioning tho :D

Supa_Fly
Nov 18, 2012, 01:06 AM
Back in the day, this Bose system was KING across any & all competitors! Single evenhandedly or even if the competition was a collaboration.

fun173
Nov 18, 2012, 01:43 AM
How many of you have actually heard one of these? ;)

cosmichobo
Nov 18, 2012, 02:56 AM
How many of you have actually heard one of these? ;)

On that Q, as someone who has... even if you've listened to the TAM's unique startup chime on another computer... it's not the same... It just doesn't sound right... You've gotta hear it on a TAM...

fun173
Nov 18, 2012, 03:44 AM
On that Q, as someone who has... even if you've listened to the TAM's unique startup chime on another computer... it's not the same... It just doesn't sound right... You've gotta hear it on a TAM...

It is intoxicating to the ear drum hahaha. I agree, it must be heard on a TAM to get the true sound.

Nov 18, 2012, 05:42 AM
I also love the design of the PowerMacs 6500 and 8600 - as far as towers are concerned, they are probably the most beautiful and accessible (in the case of the 8600) ever..!

marzer
Nov 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
I bought my first LCD based all-in-one in 1997:

Made by Monorail Computers, lacked oomph but was a really fun little computer to use. Years later, after getting my first broadband connection (3.5Mbps in 2000 - WOW! :eek:), threw a ethernet card in the one available ISA slot and set it in the kitchen as an internet terminal for the family.

G51989
Nov 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
Back in the day, this Bose system was KING across any & all competitors! Single evenhandedly or even if the competition was a collaboration.

No, no they weren't.

No highs no lows, it must be Bose!

The only thing Bose ever made worth buying are their travelers headphones. Everything else is super overpriced.

This is my experience with BOSE products, some others might perfer them. But everything Ive ever heard from bose just sounds kinda " Mushy "

Dionte
Nov 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
He sounded more sincere then than he does now.

sagnier
Nov 18, 2012, 10:57 AM
Bring back the Large Rubber Component! Things have never been the same since that was abandoned...

djgamble
Nov 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
Jony Ive had hair? :D

And he still has an English accent... I see nothing less polished about either of them? Unless they're saying he now polishes his head.

DeathChill
Nov 18, 2012, 08:06 PM
Umm many reviewers actually got better battery life with the nexus 7 especially during video playback.

Just curious: where are you getting this information? You seem to say things that aren't at all true. I can't find a single review where the Mini doesn't best the 7 by at least a couple of hours. You mentioned Engadget in another post about the Nexus 7 getting better battery life. Engadget got 12:43 for the iPad Mini and 9:49 for the Nexus 7.

You seem to have a bad habit of posting completely false information. It's fine if you don't want or like Apple products (I assume that you like Android, nothing wrong with that), but you can't just make up things and state them as fact.

phr0ze
Nov 19, 2012, 08:34 AM
just because i complemented his sexiness does not mean its a spam, dumbass

Wasn't you dumbass. The mods removed the spam. Let me tell you how the board works since you lack intelligence. If you reply twice in a row, the board joins the posts together, but separated by a -------- line. Your post, I actually liked and placed two :D :D after. But now I realize you are not a likable person.

dashiel
Nov 19, 2012, 09:11 AM

Nope. Before I debunk that notion though, you missed the point entirely, cherry picking tech specs is a fallacious way to make an argument. I was pointing out I could do the same with the iPad mini.

The Verge
I squeezed roughly six hours out of a fully charged device on 65 percent brightness, with webpages loading constantly

Anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review/7

Gizmodo
It (Nexus 7) lasted for 9+ hours of battery life with pretty heavy use, so no worries there.

Engadget
In our standard battery run-down test, which entails looping a video with WiFi enabled and a fixed display brightness, the iPad mini managed an astounding 12 hours and 43 minutes. This gives it the longest battery life of any tablet we've ever tested

Nexus 7 9:49

ArsTechnica
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/divine-intervention-googles-nexus-7-is-a-fantastic-200-tablet/4/
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/the-skinny-on-the-mini-its-not-the-size-that-counts/3/

When reading, I found that I got about nine hours and 45 minutes out of the battery on the Nexus 7—just shy of Google's estimate

From playing that modern cinema classic Transformers: Dark of the Moon, we found that the Nexus 7 got a solid nine hours and 15 minutes of battery life

I was able to squeeze an almost surprising 12 hours of solid Internet-surfing time out of the iPad mini before it needed a recharge

The results from this test were even longer than the Internet-surfing test: 13 hours and 30 minutes. I often get more life out of watching video than active use of the Internet, so this wasn't a huge shock. The iPad mini didn't get warm at all during this test either

I’m not saying the Nexus 7 is a bad device, or the battery life is poor I actually own one, and being fortunate enough to use both I know, objectively speaking the iPad mini hardware is definitively superior. Again that doesn’t make the Nexus 7 anymore than a BMW doesn’t make a Honda bad.

JAT
Nov 19, 2012, 09:45 AM

No, no they weren't.

No highs no lows, it must be Bose!

The only thing Bose ever made worth buying are their travelers headphones. Everything else is super overpriced.

This is my experience with BOSE products, some others might perfer them. But everything Ive ever heard from bose just sounds kinda " Mushy "

See, this is a perfect example of what I wrote earlier. Are either of you discussing products even close to each other? I can't tell what product either of you mean, so a blanket "no" statement is either questionable or downright pointless.

kerryb
Nov 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
Steve Jobs had just returned to Apple and this model was being discontinued and sold off at huge discounts. My boss bought one and it was quite a masterful 1990's piece of design. Many complained about it being under powered and I believe it was pretty much a Powerbook in a fancy case. Still there was nothing like it at the time and it took a long time for the first LCD screen iMac to become a mass produced product along the lines of this earlier model.

AppleInLVX
Nov 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Among the small powered speakers, my favorite is Audioengine 2 (aka A2). I also have B&W MM-1, which costs more than twice as much and have better usability and design. While MM-1 has much better upper range, I actually prefer A2 overall. Having said that, A2 scores pretty low on usability, with controls on the back of the speaker.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll look into those.

JoshRoche
Nov 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Where did all Jonny Ive's hair come from?

liavman
Nov 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
a much younger and less-polished Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.

Less Polished? What prompted this value judgement? I looked for it but could not find any. Though it is all great sounding and heartwarming that there are people who care about such things, I can't relate to half of what he says in that video and that ratio is same as today :) (j/k)

MacFly123
Nov 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
Wow isn't he just so full of **** how he talks up things?!

No. I just think he is truly passionate about what he does!

scott911
Nov 20, 2012, 07:19 AM

BOSE is not a good audio company - they are successful on account of great marketing and nailing the wife-acceptance-factor.

But please realize they are not a name to hold in high regard when you're hoping for some truly great audio design.

----------

I think Bose speakers are best in-class, the prices... are too high though.

you need to get out more - Bose are widely accepted to be pretty much worst in-class.

Not trying to be mean, but if you do take joy from great audio, there's a whole world of music waiting for you! :)

tylernol
Nov 20, 2012, 08:20 AM

no....Apple's stuff is quite well engineered and thought out. If you are upset about the lack of retina, go to a store, and hold a mini in your hand and you will understand why Apple did not implement Retina --it is a design trade-off in favor of form factor.

----------

For those who are asking about sound systems that are better than Bose:

- For significantly less than a Bose audio cube surround sound system, get a KEF surround sound set up that sounds better and more stylish

- For an iPod dock, the B&W Zeppelin blows the Sounddock out of the water.

- For a movie oriented system with real speakers, Paradigm Mini Monitors will provide a good punch

- For a budget, good all around system, build either a stereo or surround system off of PSB Alpha B1 speakers ($280/pair) and a midrange Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer receiver. PSB's Imagine towers that go for ~$3k/pair sound incredible too.

Personally, I run a pair of B&W 804s speakers for my fronts, MM-1 for my surrounds, off of a McIntosh amplifier (fronts) and Denon receiver (preamp processor and rear amps).

yup. Dynaudio is another good speaker company, I have two of their towers driven by an Audio Research amp.

teknikal90
Nov 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
no....Apple's stuff is quite well engineered and thought out. If you are upset about the lack of retina, go to a store, and hold a mini in your hand and you will understand why Apple did not implement Retina --it is a design trade-off in favor of form factor.

----------

yup. Dynaudio is another good speaker company, I have two of their towers driven by an Audio Research amp.

The same could be said for beats, its a design trade off in favour of form factor why they dont have higher impedance drivers (ipods then can't drive them)...why they're not open vs. closed....you cant commute with open headphones...Why doesn't the ipad mini have retina or a more powerful chip when the competitors have quad cores and 200+ppi screens?
bottom line, theyre all consumer focused brands appealing on the cool factor, not necessarily the technology advantage
Apple isn't known to have the best specs, neither are bose and beats.
Look at any non-apple sites - 'apple sucks, they're overpriced..I can buy PCs for half the money with 2x the power ...you're paying for the pretty design.. then look at any audiophile enthusiast sites... Beats suck...you can get headphones with better SQ at half the price...you're paying for the 'cool' plastic design...
Same thing.

seveej
Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
I once worked for a company, where the big boss bought a TAM for the company's main meeting room.

Sure it was cool. Not only was it a sleek AIO - it was the first flatscreen computer I had ever seen.

Problem was, with that dinky 12" screen, it was basically useless. But he** did it look good on that antique birch table.

I think we could say, that the advance of technology has enabled Ive to not only listen to his gods of design, but to create useable products while doing so.

Luap
Nov 20, 2012, 01:19 PM

If you believe everything you read on the internet, then yes :rolleyes:

rhett7660
Nov 20, 2012, 04:41 PM

That was more than my first car by about 6K! :eek:

DesterWallaboo
Nov 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
If you believe everything you read on the internet, then yes :rolleyes:

I figure owning film/audio post-house has an effect on my ability to judge audio. ;-)

I'm used to real precise audio... and Bose isn't it.

LarryC
Nov 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
$7,499.00. I wonder what that would be in todays dollars. Sorry if somebody has already asked and/or answered this question, but I didn't feel like reading through 187 posts to find out.

BRyken
Nov 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
Just watched this today, pretty cool.

cosmichobo
Nov 27, 2012, 02:50 AM
$7,499.00. I wonder what that would be in todays dollars. Sorry if somebody has already asked and/or answered this question, but I didn't feel like reading through 187 posts to find out.

Don't think it's been asked...

According to http://www.1soft.com/todaysdollars.htm - $7499 in 1997 is now worth $8430.

If you tried to match it up with Apple's current line up... I'd say around $6,000 - around twice a Mac Pro... given that the TAM's price was originally around twice a PowerMac 9600...

Worst part... As I understand it... the TAM's manufacturing cost was only around the $2k mark... So that's a hell of a markup...