PDA

View Full Version : iMac suicided

Thanatoast
Sep 13, 2005, 01:15 PM
So I got this old near-bondi blue iMac from a friend. It worked great for a while, but I wanted to hook it up to an internet line to test the non-working line I was on. I plugged the machine into the wall and the line, and voila, happy working internet access.

So then I shut down the machine, unplug it from the wall, bring it back to its original home, plug it back into the wall, press power and voila, nothing. Doesn't respond at all. No lights, no beeps, nada.

Is this some sort of known problem? Or maybe I just fried the darn thing. Is there a circuit that can be tripped to make it work again? It happened so much without warning that I didn't quite believe it was broken for a while.

Anyway, any help on this tragedy would be greatly appreciated. It's a good little machine, but it won't respond to anything. Thank you again, all.

pdpfilms
Sep 13, 2005, 01:53 PM
So I got this old near-bondi blue iMac from a friend. It worked great for a while, but I wanted to hook it up to an internet line to test the non-working line I was on. I plugged the machine into the wall and the line, and voila, happy working internet access.

So then I shut down the machine, unplug it from the wall, bring it back to its original home, plug it back into the wall, press power and voila, nothing. Doesn't respond at all. No lights, no beeps, nada.

Is this some sort of known problem? Or maybe I just fried the darn thing. Is there a circuit that can be tripped to make it work again? It happened so much without warning that I didn't quite believe it was broken for a while.

Anyway, any help on this tragedy would be greatly appreciated. It's a good little machine, but it won't respond to anything. Thank you again, all.
I just have to say I love when people verb nouns.

Suicided. Heh.

eva01
Sep 13, 2005, 02:01 PM
I was hoping for a much better story like the iMac fell off the table on its own.

oh well

SummerBreeze
Sep 13, 2005, 02:01 PM

Suicided. Heh.

Gerund: (jerr-and) A gerund is a noun form derived from a verb. It's like a backwards Gerund!

Yes, I'm a grammar freak ;)

Maybe it was mad that you disconnected it from the internet, but it would be more likely that plugging it into the wall again might have shorted it. I'd take it to an Apple Store and have them take a look at it, since you have no idea what problem is keeping it from turning on.

yenko
Sep 13, 2005, 02:17 PM

Suicided. Heh.

....and their descriptive noun-verbials are adjectiving! :D

yenko
Sep 13, 2005, 02:19 PM

This thing reeks of BAD OUTLET. :eek:

California
Sep 13, 2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, bad wire or bad power supply. Heard of it happening before. You can have one of my iMac wires for the cost of shipping, pm me.

i have a friend on Panther with a 80 gig partitioned iMac 233 plus 384ram works GREAT.