PDA

View Full Version : Infecting my PB.

katie ta achoo
Sep 13, 2005, 03:24 PM
So, I'm really, really sick..

Not vomitous, but my nose... agghhhrhhh!

So, I'm worried about getting my PB all germy.

I am aware that it IS NOT a living, breathing organism (ha.) but I'm worried about getting germs on it, and then either reinfecting myself or someone else using my PB and getting all ... also infected.

What do I do to kill germs on my PB so that I don't infect anyone?
This wouldn't be an issue if I had a genius I wanted to get sick-- if that were the case, I'd be licking my keyboard and sneezing into the ports. (but I like the genii, so ..no)

Do I lysol my PB? Huh?
Guh?
Muh? BUH!?

*achoo*

rockthecasbah
Sep 13, 2005, 03:40 PM
So, I'm really, really sick..

Not vomitous, but my nose... agghhhrhhh!

So, I'm worried about getting my PB all germy.

I am aware that it IS NOT a living, breathing organism (ha.) but I'm worried about getting germs on it, and then either reinfecting myself or someone else using my PB and getting all ... also infected.

What do I do to kill germs on my PB so that I don't infect anyone?
This wouldn't be an issue if I had a genius I wanted to get sick-- if that were the case, I'd be licking my keyboard and sneezing into the ports. (but I like the genii, so ..no)

Do I lysol my PB? Huh?
Guh?
Muh? BUH!?

*achoo*

well if you are really that worried you can plug in a spare keyboard ;)

I mean to be honest even if you sneezed on your PB (God forbid), the germs don't stay there forever, they die off after a day or two...so really it is a very low risk of infection anyway. But a moist towelette may do the trick, i would be cautious about spraying something directly on a computer.

katie ta achoo
Sep 13, 2005, 04:04 PM
well if you are really that worried you can plug in a spare keyboard ;)

I mean to be honest even if you sneezed on your PB (God forbid), the germs don't stay there forever, they die off after a day or two...so really it is a very low risk of infection anyway. But a moist towelette may do the trick, i would be cautious about spraying something directly on a computer.

Ah, ok. It's just that I lost my iSkin (I'm just that awesome) and I have read weird stories about public keyboards and germy people and AH! Infected!

I'll track down a towelette.

I guess if I want to infect a genius I have to sneeze right on them, right? :p

belvdr
Sep 13, 2005, 08:19 PM
Just dampen a cotton ball or cloth with alcohol and wipe it across the computer. Just don't drench the notebook.

mad jew
Sep 13, 2005, 08:27 PM
Don't start worrying until your PowerBook starts sneezing and quietly retires to the couch with a hot-water bottle.

Oh, and nice 'tar katie ta achoo, you look like iGary: very handsome. Get well soon. :)

DeSnousa
Sep 13, 2005, 08:30 PM
Don't worry, thanks to the Powerbook's overheating problems the germs will get killed :D Just make sure to do something really processor intensive :cool:

JordanNZ
Sep 13, 2005, 08:38 PM
You can't re-infect yourself anyway.. So don't worry about that. Your immune to that strain once you get better.

:)

wrxguy
Sep 13, 2005, 08:40 PM
get lysal wipes and lightly get the tops of the keys...try not too get anything under the keys...but that should do it

FFTT
Sep 13, 2005, 08:45 PM
'snot anything to worry about :D

katie ta achoo
Sep 13, 2005, 09:08 PM
'snot anything to worry about :D

Hardee HAR HAR! :)

Ok I'll alcohol-wipe-the-key method. It's all good. :)

and mad jew I just thought it was time for a strangely hypnotic steve jobs.

Just watch it go and go and go and... :eek: OW! MY EYES!

jim.
Sep 13, 2005, 09:15 PM
Don't worry, thanks to the Powerbook's overheating problems the germs will get killed :D Just make sure to do something really processor intensive :cool:
Not to scare you, but this isn't always the case. There is actually a very involved process to immune response in living organisms, and sometimes small changes in epitopes can change an immunological response (sorry for the bio terms).

Oh, and alcohol needs to be on the surface for a minimum of 5 minutes to kill off most affected organisms. This is hard due to the high evaporation rate of those small organic molecules. A lot of organisms will denature relatively quickly outside of their preferred conditions, so you probably don't have a lot to worry about.

</bio geek>

Jim

mad jew
Sep 13, 2005, 09:16 PM
Oh, that 'tar is making me sick... Oh wait there's gotta be some sort of connection here...

...Nope, I'm not getting anything. Can't work it out for the life of me. :p

katie ta achoo
Sep 13, 2005, 09:38 PM
Oh, that 'tar is making me sick... Oh wait there's gotta be some sort of connection here...

Master plan:
coughs all over sheet of paper
takes pic of said paper
PM to mad jew
????
PROFIT

California
Sep 13, 2005, 11:42 PM
Don't worry, I feel the same way about germy keyboards, even my own. Also, dont' feel bad, I had a clear iSkin a few months back and I took it off to clean in the sink and accidently threw it away! Now have a nice blue iSkin so I won't do that again.

Just splurge the twenty bucks and get a new iSkin. Ebay has 'em, too. Before they were invented, I used to take out my keyboard and gently tap it upside down to get rid of the crumbs and other weird things that get under there. Water, alcohol etc., on the keyboard keys should do ya just fine. I can't stand typign without an iSkin now.

SummerBreeze
Sep 13, 2005, 11:49 PM
You can't re-infect yourself anyway.. So don't worry about that. Your immune to that strain once you get better.

:)

That's completely true. When you get sick, your body creates anti-bodies to fight of the virus. If you come into contact with the same germs, the anti-bodies will know how to kill them and you won't get any symptoms. The only reason public computers can be germy is because you won't be immune to someone else's germs.

Hope you feel better though, and don't let the PB get sick!

proverbs
Sep 14, 2005, 12:44 AM
can you say, Howard Hughes? :D