Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I can't find one anywhere in stores here in Ireland or online. The reason I want another is because it charges my Nexus 7 and GS3 pretty fast. I guess I don't mind another charger that will charge as fast but I ordered one from ebay which was supposed to be meant for the Nexus 7 but it's as slow as the one that came with my GS3.

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
I am unfamiliar to what is available store wise to you in Ireland so I will suggest two options.

1) If you can purchase from the Google Play store, they sell the official adapter

2) Order a usb wall charger from eBay of similar wattage to that of the official adapter. You should be able to find one fairly easily and cheaply there. And while it is not official it will get the job done.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Although it just seems wrong, an Apple iPad charger will do the trick, for example. I use my Kindle Fire HD charger as well... and the 7 seems to enjoy the various partners it has. They all seem to quickly ensure it stays turned on for a long time.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Although it just seems wrong, an Apple iPad charger will do the trick, for example. I use my Kindle Fire HD charger as well... and the 7 seems to enjoy the various partners it has. They all seem to quickly ensure it stays turned on for a long time.

So there's no risk of damaging my GS3 or Nexus 7? After seeing that Nexus 7 meltdown after being left on a charger for 3 hours I'm a bit weary of testing stuff like this :p

----------

I am unfamiliar to what is available store wise to you in Ireland so I will suggest two options.

1) If you can purchase from the Google Play store, they sell the official adapter

2) Order a usb wall charger from eBay of similar wattage to that of the official adapter. You should be able to find one fairly easily and cheaply there. And while it is not official it will get the job done.

Unfortunately there's no Play store here. I tried getting a charger which was advertised to be for the Nexus 7 and it charges it but very slowly.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
So there's no risk of damaging my GS3 or Nexus 7? After seeing that Nexus 7 meltdown after being left on a charger for 3 hours I'm a bit weary of testing stuff like this :p

----------

Unfortunately there's no Play store here. I tried getting a charger which was advertised to be for the Nexus 7 and it charges it but very slowly.

Ive just looked on the UK Playstore, the charger isn't available there at the moment for some reason.

Edit; It says, "For use in the USA only" mustn't have produced enough.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Ive just looked on the UK Playstore, the charger isn't available there at the moment for some reason.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to buy it anyway. I have a UK address via Parcel Motel but I would still have to use a proxy or VPN and I'm not sure if they'd accept my Irish credit card. I would have gotten the Nexus 4 if things were easier for us in Ireland :(

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I'm not sure if I'd be able to buy it anyway. I have a UK address via Parcel Motel but I would still have to use a proxy or VPN and I'm not sure if they'd accept my Irish credit card. I would have gotten the Nexus 4 if things were easier for us in Ireland :(

They wont be that much, I could have got it and sent it over, if they become available, I will give you a shout. we will be able to sort something out.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
They wont be that much, I could have got it and sent it over, if they become available, I will give you a shout. we will be able to sort something out.

Thanks for the offer! PM me whenever it's available. I might want 2 or 3 if you don't mind. I'll cover shipping charges too of course.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have left my N7 plugged into the Kindle Fire HD charger overnight often without, as it were, providing any kindling for a fire.

Likewise with the iPad charger.

I can't guarantee you'll never see an issue, but, as far as I can tell, 9-10W is 9-10W, and the Nexus doesn't care, tramp that it is.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have left my N7 plugged into the Kindle Fire HD charger overnight often without, as it were, providing any kindling for a fire.

Likewise with the iPad charger.

I can't guarantee you'll never see an issue, but, as far as I can tell, 9-10W is 9-10W, and the Nexus doesn't care, tramp that it is.

Isn't the Nexus 7 charger 5W?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Oh ok. Thanks for the help jsw
Any time. :)

Also, a single report of a meltdown in China doesn't really make me think it's a true issue anyway, and since it's hard to find USB chargers that exceed 10W, and since the 7 takes 10W, I think you'll be fine barring nearby lightning strikes.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm being a bit paranoid but on Apple's website it says the iPad charger is 12W. Is that still ok?
Hmmm. Well, I have one of the older 10W ones. I didn't realize they bumped to 12W. :eek:

I'd still guess you're OK, but I'd be less willing to take that chance.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hmmm. Well, I have one of the older 10W ones. I didn't realize they bumped to 12W. :eek:

I found a new 10W one ebay so I'll get that just to be safe.

Stephenthejedi

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013

It's ok to use a 12w. You can use any power adapter of equal or greater wattage. You want to avoid using smaller wattage adapters, however, as this can be bad for the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.