Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Link
Dreamweaver 8, Flash Professional 8, Fireworks 8, and Flash Player 8 ship with new advanced features and workflows

San Francisco, CA - September 13, 2005 - Macromedia, Inc. (Nasdaq: MACR) today announced the immediate availability of Macromedia Studio 8, the essential suite for web designers, developers, video professionals, and graphic artists to design, develop, and maintain interactive online experiences. Combining the latest releases of award-winning Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash Professional, and Macromedia Fireworks, and key productivity tools Macromedia Contribute and Macromedia FlashPaper, Studio 8 offers a new level of expressiveness, efficiency, and simplified workflow to create websites, interactive media, and mobile content. For more information about Studio 8

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
downloading the free trials now for testing.... I really hope that they do some optimization for their mac version. (cross finger and pray)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
My upgrade copy of this shipped out today for delivery tomorrow.

#1 concern: They let you install it on two machines, but I'd really like to install it on a PowerBook AND on my main Windows desktop... gonna have to call them to see if they're gonna let me do it.

adt

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
In my informed opinion, this update is embarassing for Macromedia, and offensive to its customers.

They have not improved stability (it still crashes), they have not added any major additional functionality.

I cancelled my upgrade today.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
clayj said:

#1 concern: They let you install it on two machines, but I'd really like to install it on a PowerBook AND on my main Windows desktop... gonna have to call them to see if they're gonna let me do it.
If they let you install on 2 machines, I don't see why you are not allowed to install on one windows and one mac. My previous mx2004 CD comes with mac and pc version together. I could be wrong though

EDIT: oops.
Upon purchase of the English Box product you will have access to both Windows and Macintosh platforms; only one platform may be activated for use.

I was playing with the free trials just now, both seems to be smoother than the previous version, although at first run, for some weird reason, flash 8 causes my powerbook fan to run non-stop. I like that they port over the tab display for different documents from the previous windows version to mac.

The new filtering in flash 8 means less work for those common effects. The new font display seems cool as well. Hopefully, this one doesn't cause too many font display problems.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
angelneo said:
downloading the free trials now for testing.... I really hope that they do some optimization for their mac version. (cross finger and pray)

I downloaded the free trials as well...but I haven't tested it yet.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
clayj said:

Good news! Due to the many complaints they received about this particular issue, Macromedia Studio 8 products are now NOT locked to one platform or the other. I now have Studio 8 running on both a Windows desktop AND a Mac notebook, in strict accordance with their EULA (which states that you can install the software on one desktop and one notebook, as long as you're only running any of the software on only ONE machine at a time).

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
where is Freehand!!!

Did micromedia kill freehand?, ever since they got bough buy Adobe they have just forgaten about this great program. yes I try illustrator I used it but I can not get over some of the stupid ways illustrator does things ie. masking items why is if you mask an object within another you can still see the rest of it. I like freehands way you mask something the sorrounding stay hidden.

End of rant

wash

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Man! I have to wait until mid October to apply for my free upgrade (condition of recently purchased MX 2004).

Does anyone know if this will be an upgrade or will they issue the complete suite? All I know is they will send me an email to download it from their site.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Hate to bust your bubble but I already posted this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/148992/

Basically within a few minutes (literally) of Macromedia posting the software, I got their email about it at 10:59 MST and didn’t know about it till I checked the site at ~11:03pm.

Flash 8 is pretty nice I like the filters (probably runs like a$$ on lower end pc's) and the font anti aliasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.