PDA

View Full Version : Is KaZaA in trouble?

edesignuk
Nov 26, 2002, 01:47 PM
It looks like the worlds favorite (over 154 million official downloads to date!) file sharing networks maybe in trouble :( ...lets hope not!
Taken from Wired.com article
LOS ANGELES -- A federal judge has signaled his support for a bid by record companies and movie studios to sue the parent company of Kazaa, a popular online file-swapping service.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson heard arguments Monday on whether Sharman Networks, which is headquartered in Australia and incorporated in the Pacific Island nation of Vanuatu, is subject to U.S. copyright laws.

Full story (http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,56584,00.html).

Nipsy
Nov 26, 2002, 02:14 PM
Hopefully the RIAA will squander their coffers on lawyers, and in 5 years we'll have rich lawyers, no RIAA, and better music....

medea
Nov 26, 2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Hopefully the RIAA will squander their coffers on lawyers, and in 5 years we'll have rich lawyers, no RIAA, and better music....

you must be a lawyer.....yeah it's only a matter of time before Kazaa closes its doors as well, and once it does there will be a lot of bored people.

AssassinOfGates
Nov 26, 2002, 02:42 PM
Im hoping they do close it down. A new protocol will rise from the ashes and if they have their head outta their ass, maybe we'll get a popular mac client. Limewire just doesn't cut it.

MrMacMan
Nov 26, 2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
Im hoping they do close it down. A new protocol will rise from the ashes and if they have their head outta their ass, maybe we'll get a popular mac client. Limewire just doesn't cut it.
Have any Gnutella clients been good to date?
I don't think so... ;)
I was hoping a mac version of KaZaA before they closed... darn.

LethalWolfe
Nov 26, 2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
It looks like the worlds favorite (over 154 million official downloads to date!) file sharing networks maybe in trouble :( ...lets hope not!

Full story (http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,56584,00.html).

eh.... if KaZaA is shut down something else will take its place. Or people will have to go back to buying software, music, and movies :eek:

Lethal

arn
Nov 26, 2002, 06:07 PM
There are a few up and coming networks...

First of all, Kazaa's problem is that they made it based on a central server/authentication system. As a commercial venture, I understand - they want control of their network... and they couldn't really do it any other way... but they can shut down the entire network because of this and may be ordered to do so.

Gnutella can't be shut down... not without going after each individual user. But Gnutella also doesn't work very well. (imho)

Gnutella 2 - which is a seperate network spawned off... appears to be promising. I don't know enough of the details... but there is a Windows client available.

GiFT is based on the fasttrack network... and is open source... and is coming along... no public client... but there is an OS X front end for it already.

eDonkey is more or less abandonded from the official developers - but the network is still going strong... (3rd party clients)

Overnet "replaces" eDonkey and is "serverless" and is up and coming as well.

arn

AssassinOfGates
Nov 26, 2002, 07:31 PM
Holy *****, i just tried that Xnap mentioned in the other forum, and man that is a great network. Amazing results. Never have I gotten 82 rammstein bootleg video results in one search. With limewire i only got 6 tops.

arn
Nov 26, 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
Holy *****, i just tried that Xnap mentioned in the other forum, and man that is a great network. Amazing results. Never have I gotten 82 rammstein bootleg video results in one search. With limewire i only got 6 tops.

As I mentioned in the other thread... XNap is part of the OpenNap network... which is basically Napster with 3rd party servers.

arn

smegdude
Nov 27, 2002, 06:05 AM
will xnap work on osx? i went to download.com and it said the operating system is unix.

edesignuk
Nov 27, 2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by smegdude
will xnap work on osx? i went to download.com and it said the operating system is unix.
Yes it will, u can get it here (http://versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12608&db=mac). :)

Mac til death
Nov 27, 2002, 09:14 AM
an awesome p2p client is soul seek, the only bad part is that its not available for the mac. (a little slow in VPC, but OK)

It has a lot of potential though...

www.slsk.org

Mac til death
Nov 27, 2002, 09:38 AM
I found a port of Soul Seek for OS X.

http://www.sensi.org/~ak/pyslsk/

MacCoaster
Nov 27, 2002, 11:13 PM
U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson heard arguments Monday on whether Sharman Networks, which is headquartered in Australia and incorporated in the Pacific Island nation of Vanuatu, is subject to U.S. copyright laws.
WTF, man. Why are U.S. Copyright Laws applicable in Australia?! I just don't get the country I live in. :p

scem0
Nov 29, 2002, 01:43 AM
It would suck for us PC users if Kazaa died. I depend on Kazaa for
downloading all my Kung Fu movies :D.