PDA

View Full Version : Wich graphic card you want in the new Powerbook and G5?

dollystereo
Sep 13, 2005, 10:21 PM
I want to know wich card would be great in the next revision of the Power line?
Ill like:
PB-->mobility x800 in the 15, 50USD--->x800xt
PM-->x600 in medium tower, x800 in big boss

Just dreaming, they will bring back the "powerful" 5200!

Xephian
Sep 13, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see the mobility X800 for the Powerbooks and the Quadro FX 4500 or the Geforce 7800 GTX for the Power Macs. We will probably see more top of the line cards more often in the Intel Macs.

dollystereo
Sep 13, 2005, 11:01 PM
We dont even have the option to buy the 7800 for mac, so I doubt it!
We always can dream

paperinacup
Sep 13, 2005, 11:05 PM
I think there is more of a chance for the X600 than X800. On the Powerbook that is.

Abstract
Sep 13, 2005, 11:29 PM
I know people always rag on the PB and iBook for having mediocre video cards, but lots of competitors use much crappier cards. I just checked an IBM/Lenovo T-series notebook, and their low-end is still on the ATI 7500 with 32MB (or was it Nvidia?). Anyway, that's the card that used to be used in the G3 iBooks when the iBook was using G3 800MHz. That was ages ago, and this is in a premium laptop, folks. They also use ATI X300s with 64MB vRAM in some of the higher end T-series notebooks, but those are on the high end.

I know that we want Apples to come with the best of everything, but I think that anything Apple comes out with (excluding that 5200Go ;) ) will be fairly competitive. :)

TheMonarch
Sep 13, 2005, 11:35 PM
...excluding that 5200Go ;) ...

I keep hearing lots of crap about it. I never understood what was wrong. My friend bought a PB 12" before me and I never saw what some of you did. It did everything I would expect on a PB, from final cut to after effects to photoshop [although, almost anything can run photoshop decently], without a hiccup. I even convinced her to upgrade to tiger (after I bought mine, and she saw dashboard) and it supported core image...

EDIT: My friend had the PB 12" 1.33 [32VRAM I think]... Did that have the 5200Go? :o

Wait [I just checked], they still offer it... So what wrong with the video card?

dollystereo
Sep 14, 2005, 08:00 AM
Nothing, but I will like to have a card that can run Doom3 good in my mobile computer =), (and Q4 thats coming out)
I run FCP and PS and you are right you dont need a freaking mosnter of 2345mb o ram, but a X series Radeon would be nice, I surely would get a 50% FPS increase in games, and a better HDVcam playback.
(its just a thread, am not complaning)

Lord Blackadder
Sep 14, 2005, 08:23 AM
As far as the Power Mac goes, I hope Apple offers the GeForce 7800 series sooner rather than later. The Power Mac should always offer the best current video cards as an option.

The PowerBook's Radeon 9700 isn't bad even today, but I imagine it will be replaced with a Mobility X800-series card - but not until the switch to Intel takes place. Maybe the 128MB version will become standard on last G4 PBs. The base config will probably be a cheaper Radeon, like an X600-class.

One more niggle: It would really be nice if Apple offered Pro cards for the G5 such as the FireGL or Quadro. They've never been available, and would improve Apple's benchmarks when comparing various professional software packages across platforms.

The Nvidia GeForce/Go5200 wasn't a bad card in it's day, but its day has clearly passed. However, as a "base" configuration card it is still OK - it has plenty of power for the average user, and performs decently with games like Halo and Call of Duty. It will be around for a while yet - my guess is that it may make it's way to the mac mini at some point, unless the Radeon 9550 gets there first.

RobHague
Sep 14, 2005, 09:58 AM
Well NVIDIA might not have put out a Mac version of the 7800 yet but hopefully ATi wont make the same choice when their new card arrives.

I wish NVIDIA would offer a control panel like ATi do as well - The only thing i regret about my recent purchase was that i was not able to get the X850 XT (without a long wait) and instead got the 6800 GT (in stock) which unfortunatley has no control panel - so you cant set AF/AA in games without the options :(

Platform
Sep 14, 2005, 05:24 PM
To get the 7800 and the Quadro 4500.......we need PCI-E. Those cards are PCI-E only ;)

dollystereo
Sep 14, 2005, 07:58 PM
so PCI-E is the next step!
Cmon apple, make the move!

godbout
Sep 14, 2005, 09:55 PM
To get the 7800 and the Quadro 4500.......we need PCI-E. Those cards are PCI-E only ;)

We need PCI-e for pretty much all of the cards that have been mentioned (do we not?) all the x series and such? Anyways, you KNOW that apple will put it in as soon as they get an intel chipset... right?

Val-kyrie
Sep 14, 2005, 10:14 PM
Here is an excellent link to an article comparing all of the current offerings for laptop graphics cards:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2526

Lord Blackadder
Sep 15, 2005, 08:48 AM
I think we can safely assume that Apple will stick to AGP with the last crop of PPC computers but PCI-E will totally replace AGP when the Intel switch is accomplished.

Thus, cards like the Quadro and FireGL series (and the successors to the Latest GeForce and Radeon cards) will only need some new firmware to be Mac compatible.

dollystereo
Sep 15, 2005, 11:27 AM
Apple please this 24 give me a 1.7GHZ 200mhzfsb, 80GB Hd, 15,2", bla blabla and a Radeon 9800 128mb and I will buy that notebook with my eyes closed.
(Freaking Doom3)!!!!
PD:Maybe a Dual layer burner