PDA

View Full Version : Final cut q again

LilShants
Sep 13, 2005, 10:24 PM
Another final cut question.

During playback, these weird sort of lines show up on the project. They lessen when I am exporting to tape, but are still there occasionally. I don't think my comp should be having trouble. I've got all the media on an external drive, so tons of space left, and 1.5 GB RAM. It's a 15 in. 1.67 powerbook if that helps. I am just wondering if I just need to change any settings on the thing to avoid this. Thanks!

Mr. Anderson
Sep 13, 2005, 10:27 PM
can you post a screen shot? Also, which version of FCP are you using and what OS.

D

pdpfilms
Sep 13, 2005, 10:35 PM
Another final cut question.

During playback, these weird sort of lines show up on the project. They lessen when I am exporting to tape, but are still there occasionally. I don't think my comp should be having trouble. I've got all the media on an external drive, so tons of space left, and 1.5 GB RAM. It's a 15 in. 1.67 powerbook if that helps. I am just wondering if I just need to change any settings on the thing to avoid this. Thanks!

Do these lines show up consistently in the frames? For instance, if you were to see a line, and then pause video and back up to the frame that you witnessed it, would it still be there? If so, then it's actually a corrupt video file (or just a dirty file). If not, then it's a playback issue, and shouldn't show up in the final product.

TheMonarch
Sep 13, 2005, 10:53 PM
I think he's talking about interlaced video...

LilShants
Sep 13, 2005, 11:14 PM
may be its interlaced video? its not consistent, so it's not "dirty video" or corrupt. it changes if i replay it. also, it's FCP 4.0 and OSX 10.4.2 if that helps at all. It shouldn't show up in the finished product, but it still does when I print to video. There aren't as many glitches, but they're still there. Are some of my preferences off or something?

TheMonarch
Sep 13, 2005, 11:28 PM
Try de-interlacing...

LilShants
Sep 13, 2005, 11:51 PM
tried de-interlacing and it didn't work. someone told me it's lack of memory on my computer. but i have 1.5 gb ram...so i figure that would be ok right? it's only a 3 minute short and all the media is saved to a firewire drive, so that's not taking up the actual space. i used another powerbook G4 with final cut last year and only 512 MB of RAM, but it didn't do this...hm, I can't figure it out.

TheMonarch
Sep 13, 2005, 11:57 PM
tried de-interlacing and it didn't work. someone told me it's lack of memory on my computer. but i have 1.5 gb ram...so i figure that would be ok right? it's only a 3 minute short and all the media is saved to a firewire drive, so that's not taking up the actual space. i used another powerbook G4 with final cut last year and only 512 MB of RAM, but it didn't do this...hm, I can't figure it out.

Your ram is fine... Its something else. You got any screenshots?

LilShants
Sep 14, 2005, 12:01 AM
Your ram is fine... Its something else. You got any screenshots?

not sure how to get those out of final cut to post here. sorry, i'm kinda new at all this obviously. how would i get a screen shot out? i see freeze frame...but that is just a final cut file.

LilShants
Sep 14, 2005, 12:03 AM
not sure how to get those out of final cut to post here. sorry, i'm kinda new at all this obviously. how would i get a screen shot out? i see freeze frame...but that is just a final cut file.

btw, i feel like it has to be some playback problem cuz it's so inconsistent. i just have no idea what

LethalWolfe
Sep 14, 2005, 12:08 AM
Have you trashed preferences? Do you have any AV software (or anything similar) running in the background? Do the "bad" clips play back bad in the Viewer window as well as in the Canvas, or do they just playback bad in the Canvas window? Try creating a new project and importing the "bad" clips into the brand new project and see if you get the same errors.

Lethal

pdpfilms
Sep 14, 2005, 12:09 AM
btw, i feel like it has to be some playback problem cuz it's so inconsistent. i just have no idea what

I'd agree. If it was consistent, it could be anything from dirty heads on the camera to interference when importing.

But since it's only in playback... I think it's your system. Try a fresh install.

...just kidding. But i don't think your RAM has anything to do with it... i can't think of any reason low ram would cause lines in video to appear. I can see skipping, or something of that sort... but not a random addition to the video like this. I'm pretty much stumped, but a screenshot will definetly help us out.

A few last questions:
Have you been able to pause video and see one of these lines?
Did you possibly shoot in PAL and are now editing in NTSC?
Did you shoot in 24p?
What format are the video files on your drive/did you import them using FCP?
Are you using any filters?

LilShants
Sep 14, 2005, 12:17 AM
I'd agree. If it was consistent, it could be anything from dirty heads on the camera to interference when importing.

But since it's only in playback... I think it's your system. Try a fresh install.

...just kidding. But i don't think your RAM has anything to do with it... i can't think of any reason low ram would cause lines in video to appear. I can see skipping, or something of that sort... but not a random addition to the video like this. I'm pretty much stumped, but a screenshot will definetly help us out.

A few last questions:
Have you been able to pause video and see one of these lines?
Did you possibly shoot in PAL and are now editing in NTSC?
Did you shoot in 24p?
What format are the video files on your drive/did you import them using FCP?
Are you using any filters?

It's hard to pause and see the lines. They really show only when playing. I shot in NTSC, and I imported using FCP. Not using filters on the ones doing the weird line thing. It happens more with shakier shots. Also, it shows up in the viewer, just more subtle. The lines in the canvas are more obvious. Sorry I'm so grateful for you guys trying to help out, and I know I'm being vague...I'm just a little lost.

TheMonarch
Sep 14, 2005, 12:35 AM
You don't have to pause. Just press shift+apple+3 during playback to take a screen.

LilShants
Sep 14, 2005, 12:41 AM
i think heres a shot

LilShants
Sep 14, 2005, 12:43 AM
i think heres a shot heres one more

TheMonarch
Sep 14, 2005, 12:46 AM
I kinda see whats happening here, but not really (colors?). But I think your issue is that the video is tearing... Not sure though. Make sure you save it as a .jpeg

pdpfilms
Sep 14, 2005, 12:54 AM
heres one more

Didn't work.

That above picture is strange... Totally looks like dirty video heads, but as you've described it, there's no way it is. It's not interlacing either.