Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kev2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hi,

I have a early 2009 mac mini, wondering if now is a good time to upgrade it to the new mac mini recently come out and if so, is the entry level one ok?

I have the entry level mac mini 2009 and after a year or so of having it, I upgraded the ram to 8GB. I'm currently running Mountain lion but I am finding it is taking quiet a bit longer to load up to the desktop compared to snow leopard,

Thanks

Kevin

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
As I've said in many other posts on here, the better and cheaper performance boost would come from sticking in a new SSD. A Samsung 830 256GB should be well under $200 and will breathe far more life into your day-to-day computing than an upgrade to the latest model in all but processor-intensive tasks...

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
If you just use it for surfing the web and doing a couple of docs then as poster above said I'd just try out an SSD. If you do more intensive tasks and feel the lack of power then yes. A 2012 Mini is a wonderful machine.

A Mini's always been the better machine with price/performance ratio imo, but with this 2012 model the thing is even more awesome.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
As I've said in many other posts on here, the better and cheaper performance boost would come from sticking in a new SSD. A Samsung 830 256GB should be well under $200 and will breathe far more life into your day-to-day computing than an upgrade to the latest model in all but processor-intensive tasks...
as for the samsung 830 one can put it in the mac mini, if you want to you can always take it out and install in other machine, that makes it more flexible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.