PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC Finally Available on iTunes

MacRumors
Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/19/acdc-finally-available-on-itunes/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/acdc.jpg
Lifehacker (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/11/acdc-finally-arrive-on-the-itunes-store/) notes that AC/DC's music has finally appeared in digital form on iTunes. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ac-dc/id5040714)] Once the Beatles signed up, Australian hard rockers AC/DC were the biggest major act holding out from selling their music on iTunes (or in any other digital music store). That changed today, with AC/DC finally realising that if rock and roll ain't noise pollution, you might as well make money while the download sun shines.AC/DC's selection includes the "Complete Set" for $149.99 [iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-complete-collection/id579356406)], Studio Collection for $99.99 [iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-collection/id578509124)], Ringtones, Live at River Plate, as well as individual albums.

AC/DC had previously rejected (http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/10/13/us-acdc-tech-idUSTRE49C4BH20081013?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0) iTunes distribution in an attempt to preserve the concept of the album.AC/DC, formed by brothers Angus and Malcolm Young in 1973, is among only a handful of musicians to refuse to put their music on the popular download website in a move that Johnson defended as a bid to protect the album format from the Internet's emphasis on buying single songs.

Article Link: AC/DC Finally Available on iTunes (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/19/acdc-finally-available-on-itunes/)

impulse462
Nov 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
Finally

moderngamenewb
Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
It's about time. First The Beatles, and now AC/DC. I'm glad that AC/DC is finally on iTunes

Fenir
Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 AM
This is a nice surprise!

MacPro23
Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
Now we need Garth Brooks.

1337group
About time.

headfuzz
\m/:cool:\m/

lordofthereef
Nov 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
Way to hold out AcDc. For over a decade piracy was the easiest way to get your albums conveniently onto our devices. How much money was lost in the process?

ZacNicholson
Nov 19, 2012, 12:25 AM
about damn time!!

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 19, 2012, 12:34 AM
When Tool caves, I'll know we've arrived.

mdriftmeyer
Nov 19, 2012, 12:40 AM
If only Bon Scott had lived to create the catalogue for Back 'n Black and beyond.

mrsir2009
Nov 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
AC/DC had previously rejected iTunes distribution in an attempt to preserve the concept of the album.

All they've preserved by doing that is the concept of piracy.

iMikeT
Nov 19, 2012, 12:51 AM
I can finally download all the songs I've heard in the Iron Man movies and feel as badass as Tony Stark himself! :D

chrismarle
Nov 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
OH YEAH!

I've already purchased a few of them!

HMI
Nov 19, 2012, 01:16 AM

No. WE really don't. Maybe you do, but that's okay.

Actually, now that you mention this, I'm hoping Apple "accidentally" forgets to include all country music in iTunes 11. One can hope! ;)

dampfnudel
Nov 19, 2012, 01:17 AM
Way to hold out AcDc. For over a decade piracy was the easiest way to get your albums conveniently

onto our devices. How much money was lost in the process?

True dat.

wackymacky
Nov 19, 2012, 01:19 AM

Or just grap his albums from the 2 dollar bin at Walmart.

SkyBell
Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Would have made the purchase of these albums from iTunes had they been available... seven years ago. Such a shame, but at least they've finally seemed to have figured out they can't simply stick their heads in the sand as the entire distribution process of their industry changes drastically.

Andronicus
Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 AM
No special countdown announcement for this? Remember when the Beatles music was added to iTunes? "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget" and I guess they were right...

fishmoose
Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 AM
For those about to rock!

WeegieMac
Nov 19, 2012, 02:26 AM
Australian rockers?

Angus and Malcolm Young, co-founders of the band, are from Glasgow and are well known Rangers supporters.

Do get it right MacRumors. :rolleyes:

Solomani
Nov 19, 2012, 02:49 AM
Way to hold out AcDc. For over a decade piracy was the easiest way to get your albums conveniently onto our devices. How much money was lost in the process?

I agree. AC/DC is too late to make any revenue now.

Most classic rock fans I know have already ripped from a (borrowed-from-a-friend) CD albums and then digitally copied to their Macs/PCs, thanks to the absence of "legitimate" purchasable albums (via iTunes, Amazon, etc) from the band.

In other words, everyone that ever cared ALREADY has digital tracks of AC/DC on their computers and iPods. Why would they go spend money now?

OllyW
Nov 19, 2012, 02:52 AM
Australian rockers?

Angus and Malcolm Young, co-founders of the band, are from Glasgow and are well known Rangers supporters.

To be fair they have lived in Australia for nearly 50 years and the band was formed there. Even though they only have one member who was born there, they will always be classed as an Australian band.

Half of U2 were born in England but you wouldn't say they are not an Irish band.

womble2k2
Nov 19, 2012, 03:36 AM
Time to cash the pension in!

Four oF NINE
Nov 19, 2012, 04:32 AM
Well it's about time.. Just last weekend some mates of mine in a chat room were pondering AC/DC's quixotic decision to remain unavailable at the iTunes store..

----------

What for?

BlueParadox
Nov 19, 2012, 04:49 AM
Australian rockers?

MacRumors got it right.

The band formed in Australia, the band members are Australian citizens (despite the main members immigrating Down Under), the band has always been considered Australian, and they rock!

Suggest you do a bit of research. Your future posts might actually carry some weight. :rolleyes:

Bummer the entire collection costs significantly more here in Australia than the quoted USA price. I understand local & federal tax additions when purchasing in America, but the AU$230 compared with US$150 is a big difference. As I said, bummer.

entropys
Nov 19, 2012, 05:00 AM
Ah, acca dacca. My favourite is "it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll!"

gto55
Nov 19, 2012, 05:01 AM
http://i.imm.io/MbEc.gif

Iconoclysm
Nov 19, 2012, 05:18 AM
When Tool caves, I'll know we've arrived.

To be fair, they aren't nearly as successful and shouldn't have nearly the clout they do. They're a decent band and I know it's just my opinion but are really overrated - too much droning nonsense.

----------

Most classic rock fans I know have already ripped from a (borrowed-from-a-friend) CD albums and then digitally copied to their Macs/PCs, thanks to the absence of "legitimate" purchasable albums (via iTunes, Amazon, etc) from the band.

In other words, everyone that ever cared ALREADY has digital tracks of AC/DC on their computers and iPods. Why would they go spend money now?

All my ripped/pirated AC/DC will now be available on iTunes Match, and someone will get something (probably not the band).

ifij775
Nov 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
I'm surprised there are still hold outs on iTunes. I bet they lost millions in sales.

peterh988
Nov 19, 2012, 05:29 AM
How is itunes match going to handle this? Will my 'uploaded' change to matched at some point, or do I have to force a rescan?

(I'd try it but it doesn't seem to be working for any tracks for me at the moment.)

Iconoclysm
Nov 19, 2012, 05:31 AM
How is itunes match going to handle this? Will my 'uploaded' change to matched at some point, or do I have to force a rescan?

(I'd try it but it doesn't seem to be working for any tracks for me at the moment.)

I'm about to find out, will update.

Update: I'm afraid I'll have to delete the local files to see if it works...or try on another machine, I'll check it out later today.

blybug
Nov 19, 2012, 06:36 AM

Update: I'm afraid I'll have to delete the local files to see if it works...or try on another machine, I'll check it out later today.

Several of my AC/DC songs have shown up as "Matched" from the first day of iTunes Match. Never understood that. Interested to see what happens with the rest now.

Halopend
Nov 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
I have never understood why a band would reject digital downloads to preserve the album experience instead of single song purchases when they can make all the songs on the album "album only" meaning the only way to buy the songs is to buy the whole album. I'm assuming they just don't realize this is an option?

kbmb
Nov 19, 2012, 06:50 AM

Tried a couple songs this morning and they are all still being uploaded when I re-add them to iTunes.

-Kevin

The Wedge
Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
I believe the time was right for AC/DC to do this. They are still a huge rock band and still make millions in CD sales and tours every year. I wouldn't doubt that their CD sales were more stable in the past decade compared to other aging rock bands that were quick to jump onto digintal downloads. I know personally that in 2005 I bought every single CD of theirs. Some I already owned but were damaged, or I just wanted a re-mastered version. They got my money and I was glad to pay it. They've brought so much joy in my life listening to them.

I have a feeling they might have one more album and tour left and then they are retiring. I sure hope so because their last album was pretty good.

kirky29
Nov 19, 2012, 07:00 AM

Would be nice!

--- ahh, so much hate for Country Music!

nrose101
Nov 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
How about Tool now?

ikir
Nov 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Finally!!!:eek:

WeegieMac
Nov 19, 2012, 07:19 AM
MacRumors got it right.

The band formed in Australia, the band members are Australian citizens (despite the main members immigrating Down Under), the band has always been considered Australian, and they rock!

Suggest you do a bit of research. Your future posts might actually carry some weight. :rolleyes:

Bummer the entire collection costs significantly more here in Australia than the quoted USA price. I understand local & federal tax additions when purchasing in America, but the AU$230 compared with US$150 is a big difference. As I said, bummer.

They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

To be fair they have lived in Australia for nearly 50 years and the band was formed there. Even though they only have one member who was born there, they will always be classed as an Australian band.

Half of U2 were born in England but you wouldn't say they are not an Irish band.

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.

AnthonyCM
Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Actually, now that you mention this, I'm hoping Apple "accidentally" forgets to include all country music in iTunes 11. One can hope! ;)

Please do not equate Garth Brooks with country music.

gnasher729
Nov 19, 2012, 07:28 AM
Several of my AC/DC songs have shown up as "Matched" from the first day of iTunes Match. Never understood that. Interested to see what happens with the rest now.

They could be in some "greatest rock anthems of the 1980's" collection or similar, and then they get matched.

MrMoore
Nov 19, 2012, 07:43 AM

The same thing was said when The Beatles finally arrived in iTunes. "Too Late, most fan would have downloaded or ripped them already."

Yet The Beatles have been very successful on iTunes. There are always people who never ripped or had the complete albums. I will be getting some AC/DC tracks. Some "Back in Black" for me. :D

Rogifan
Nov 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
Sweet. Still waiting for classic Def Leppard. :(

WigWag Workshop
Nov 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
This is good news, however, I already own (purchased) the entire discography, I don't really care to much for the post Bon Scott stuff, but there are a few jems in there. Looking forward to seeing the sales numbers, maybe it will persuade the rest of the hold-outs

zone23
Nov 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
It was hard to believe that I couldn't buy AC/DC on iTunes so I thought well I will go to Best Buy and buy the album. Well guess what they don't sell AC/DC. So I was like what the hell they don't have it on iTunes and you can't buy it in the store. So my thought was how the hell do they sell albums. Just bought Back in Black and plan on getting others too. Thank You AC/DC you made my day today..

zync
Nov 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
Some I already owned but were damaged, or I just wanted a re-mastered version.

Often remasters are compressed (not for storage but more like an audio leveling). On many CDs, especially albums that weren't designed with that in mind, the low parts are brought up and it all just sounds way worse. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the topic if you're interested.

tldr; usually older CDs sound better than remastered CDs.

MCAsan
Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
those about to rock....we salute you! :cool:

The Wedge
Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.

Even Bon was Scottish

----------

Often remasters are compressed (not for storage but more like an audio leveling). On many CDs, especially albums that weren't designed with that in mind, the low parts are brought up and it all just sounds way worse. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the topic if you're interested.

tldr; usually older CDs sound better than remastered CDs.

I don't need a lesson on sound quality thanks. My older CDs were scratched and beat up and I am a collector who wanted the complete set. I still have my older cds as well.

nylonsteel
Nov 19, 2012, 08:20 AM
re original article

awsome hard rock - classic
awesome lyrics
"...too many women and too many pills.."
"...honey whatuya do for money honey.."

it goes on and on
back in black

croooow
Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 AM

----------

Would Van Halen be considered an American Band or a Dutch Band? The Van Halen brothers are from the Netherlands but the band was formed in California.

Sky Blue
Nov 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
How do we re-match their music we've already uploaded?

GoCubsGo
Nov 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
Similar to the Beatles, I would imagine fans of their music would already have their music so re-buying in iTunes seems silly.

alhedges
Nov 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
Similar to the Beatles, I would imagine fans of their music would already have their music so re-buying in iTunes seems silly.
You do realize that the Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs in their first *week* on iTunes?

John.B
Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
AC/DC on iTunes? The world really is coming to an end next month! ;)

The 2009 remasters of the Beatles catalog were simply luscious. A must have for any fan.

Navdakilla
Nov 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
niceee..

Yaboze
Nov 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
I always thought it was strange they let their music be used in all kinds of commercials and movies (Iron Man, etc) and snub iTunes. I'm glad they've changed their minds.

unplugme71
Nov 19, 2012, 10:05 AM
When they get a check from Apple, Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc, they'll be like "why didn't we do this sooner?"

lolz

----------

You do realize that the Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs in their first *week* on iTunes?

iTunes Match wasn't around back then

Tigger11
Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 AM

Some of mine too, but mine at least I traced to soundtracks which had the songs on them on iTunes.

John.B
Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
I always thought it was strange they let their music be used in all kinds of commercials and movies (Iron Man, etc) and snub iTunes. I'm glad they've changed their minds.

Their contract (like most artists) cut them a raw deal when it came to digital distribution so they held out (unlike most artists). I remember reading an interview with Angus Young where he said there was too much money to be made with physical CD sales and too much to lose with online sales.

I'm guessing they either got a new deal with their label and Apple (more likely) or they got control of their back catalog (less likely), but there is a new live AC/DC album that is supposed to drop this week.

palmerc2
Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Seeing that logo on this site damn near brought a tear to my eye. I'll most likely just look through to see if I can learn anything else but won't purchase anything as I've already ripped every album onto iTunes in full Apple Lossless. Rock & Roll, Bon and Angus live on!!

One of my favorite live performances: http://youtube.com/watch?v=deV_tXedY8c

ogee
Nov 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Hadn't notice they were not there :shrugs:

7enderbender
Nov 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
That's a sad day really. The iTunes business model is destroying the music industry and especially the musicians. Sound quality is a big issue also. We have now at least one generation who thinks that Mp3 files listened to through tiny speakers or cheap head phones resembles a musical experience. CDs are bad enough so now those will go away it looks. Where is the outrage?

DisMyMac
Nov 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
The Van Halen brothers are from the Netherlands but the band was formed in California.

That's nothing- Sammy Hagar may be a real alien starchild. He had communion at least and was possibly abducted too.

DrumApple
Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
Happy but sad. Because their reasons were completely spot-on. An album is like a journey, and if you only listen to parts of that journey, you don't fully get what the artist wanted you to hear. But at the same time, I'm sure this was the right move. Hope they at least swung a nice deal with them.

velocityg4
Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
I always find it surprising that they even sell many albums of these old bands including the Beatles. I'd have thought any fan would have bought their CD's in the 90's.

I think I have bought one album through iTunes. Everything else are CD rips from thousands of albums. Plus it is much cheaper as you can go to a used music store and get many of them for $1 to $3.

For any aspiring collector you can get wholesale lots for about $1 per album. Then rip them with Apple Lossless.

Unfortunately most of mine are not lossless. Since that was not an option with iTunes 1 when I ripped most of my music.

Even if I didn't have the CD. I'd rather just buy a used one and get a better quality recording for less money. Then rip it to iTunes why'll still having the original.

elizacat
Nov 19, 2012, 12:31 PM

----------

They are an Australian band both Angus and Malcolm emigrated to Australia as children whilst I am sure they are proud of their Scottish roots I guarantee you that they consider themselves Australian. It is where they formed the band and got their start in the industry and their first success.

davys
Nov 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
About time...now unleash the classics:

My balls are always bouncing
To the left and to the right
It's my belief that my big balls
Should be held every night
Oh I've got big balls

Doctor Q
Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
AC/DC obviously reads MacRumors and that's why they finally changed their minds. I'm sure they re-read my post from 2005 while making up their minds. ;)

Metallica refused to join iTunes until 2006. Like AC/DC and other artists, they complained about single-song sales.

Led Zeppelin held out until 2007, although they relented with only one album at that time, adding others later.

Radiohead held out until 2008.

Bob Seger joined in 2011 despite complaints about single-song sales.

I didn't see an announcement from Def Leppard but they seem to be in iTunes now, but with just a few live or re-recorded albums.

This month artist (and Apple stockholder) Kid Rock finally relented after previously saying that Apple's tiered pricing was un-American (see video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6IDMPJJh8c)).

Garth Brooks may have held out because of an exclusive Wal-Mart deal, but he also said that iTunes was "killing music".

Tool continues to object to single-song sales and hasn't joined iTunes.

Rogifan
Nov 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
I didn't see an announcement from Def Leppard but they seem to be in iTunes now, but with just a few live or re-recorded albums.
None of Def Leppard's older stuff is available for download anywhere. Not sure if they're behind it or its a stupid record company thing.

Kadman
Nov 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm guessing this dirty deed wasn't done dirt cheap.

peterh988
Nov 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
they complained about single-song sales.

I recall reading many years ago one artist complaining that single song sales from albums would be bad, because "People will only buy the good ones", to which the interviewer curtly said, "Well stop padding your albums with bad songs then!"

jicon
Nov 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
None of Def Leppard's older stuff is available for download anywhere. Not sure if they're behind it or its a stupid record company thing.

Disagreement with the record company they originally recorded the albums with. Read an interesting bit about it here http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/07/15/156809738/def-leppards-joe-elliott-on-covering-def-leppard

cycomiko
Nov 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
iTunes Match wasn't around back then

So people spent a small fortune on beatles songs, when they already had them, becuase itunes match was not available?

TsMkLg068426
Nov 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
iTunes 11:confused:

barkmonster
Nov 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
No. WE really don't. Maybe you do, but that's okay.

Nickelback and Mika too :D

b166er
Nov 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
Just to clarify here- Country music outsells all rock, pop, R&B, and hip hop year after year.

I hate Garth Brooks as much as the next guy, but it's pretty clear that Country music is in fact "popular" amongst the masses.

Anyway, AC/DC, you're a little late to the party on this one. And "preserving the concept of the album" is a phrase that is making my head hurt. "Album" is not a medium. CD, DVD, VHS, Cassette, Vinyl record, Mp3, etc are mediums. The "concept" of a band going in to the studio and recording 10 or so songs to release all at the same time was never under attack by anyone.

IconicM
Nov 19, 2012, 04:04 PM

m\:cool:/m

Yumbo
Nov 19, 2012, 04:42 PM

They were on iTunes initially, and then got deleted.

BlueParadox
Nov 19, 2012, 05:15 PM

----------

Great that they hail from Scotland; you must be very proud (sincerely). But the band is Australian - they formed here, the Aussie environment and culture influenced their sound, and they're actually Australian citizens. Accept this and move on... ;)

bretm
Nov 19, 2012, 06:01 PM

I don't. Of course, anyone legit already has them on vinyl. Like myself. I'll be downloading quite a few albums. Buying individual songs is pretty lame.

bretm
Nov 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
Just to clarify here- Country music outsells all rock, pop, R&B, and hip hop year after year.

I hate Garth Brooks as much as the next guy, but it's pretty clear that Country music is in fact "popular" amongst the masses.

Anyway, AC/DC, you're a little late to the party on this one. And "preserving the concept of the album" is a phrase that is making my head hurt. "Album" is not a medium. CD, DVD, VHS, Cassette, Vinyl record, Mp3, etc are mediums. The "concept" of a band going in to the studio and recording 10 or so songs to release all at the same time was never under attack by anyone.

No it doesn't. Quote your sources. Here's my quote...

"Rock music also racks up more album sales than country does, by an even bigger margin. According to one recent Nielsen SoundScan report, country music accounted for just 12% of album sales, while rock notched a whopping 34%." - http://www.bookofodds.com/Daily-Life-Activities/Entertainment-Media/Articles/A0354-Country-Music-vs.-Rock-and-Roll

I don't know why they're griping about albums. I guess in the old days you could buy particular singles, but if you wanted particular songs, they were album only, forcing you to buy and listen to the full album as the artist created it. But geez, make it good and they will come.

zync
Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
I don't need a lesson on sound quality thanks. My older CDs were scratched and beat up and I am a collector who wanted the complete set. I still have my older cds as well.

And I don't need sass from an ingrate, thanks. Perhaps you know, but most people don't. So even if it doesn't matter to you, someone else might find it interesting or important.

Why do I bother trying to be helpful? That's rhetorical by the way.

jicon
Nov 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
No it doesn't. Quote your sources. Here's my quote...

"Rock music also racks up more album sales than country does, by an even bigger margin. According to one recent Nielsen SoundScan report, country music accounted for just 12% of album sales, while rock notched a whopping 34%." - http://www.bookofodds.com/Daily-Life-Activities/Entertainment-Media/Articles/A0354-Country-Music-vs.-Rock-and-Roll

I don't know why they're griping about albums. I guess in the old days you could buy particular singles, but if you wanted particular songs, they were album only, forcing you to buy and listen to the full album as the artist created it. But geez, make it good and they will come.

I think for most, there is more money in brick and mortar album sales for artists. ACDC have been pretty selective about how they distribute their music. RockBand for instance, could not broker a deal for individual tracks for sale on their store. Instead, ACDC commandeered a standalone disc with about a dozen songs on it.

I think for the BlackIce CD in 2008(?), they sold exclusivity to only a few select retailers for at least a few weeks, and a station on Sirius/XM for a few months playing only their songs.

Whoever does the record promotion certainly assures they've gotten good deals.

These guys are also old guard. I've seen tonnes of interviews with the guys sipping on cups of tea. Brian Johnson in particular LOVES the sound of vinyl, and not all that interested in MP3 or CD. Just need to spend the money on a good needle.
http://www.arabiandrift.com/video/15387/Top-Gear-ACDC-BRIAN-JOHNSON-INTERVIEW-TOP-GEAR-BBC-Sun-26-Jul-2009

Macrolido
Nov 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
Now Steve Jobs can rest pacefully.

John.B
Nov 19, 2012, 09:27 PM

'In the old days', there were lots of songs -- hits -- that were only available on 7" singles. Off the top of my head:

"Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" - Led Zeppelin
"19th Nervous Breakdown" - Rolling Stones
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Rolling Stones
"Honky Tonk Women" - Rolling Stones
"Paperback Writer" - Beatles
"Lady Madonna" - Beatles
"Hey Jude"/"Revolution" - Beatles
"Ballad of John and Yoko" - Beatles

gpzjock
Nov 20, 2012, 01:13 AM
Australian rockers?

Angus and Malcolm, if you look at their Christian names it is painfully apparent they are of Scottish descent, as too was Ronald Scott or Bon Scott as he was known in Oz due to his broad Scottish accent when he arrived there. Bonny Scotland was the pun used.
If you listen to Bon Scott's accent in interview during the 70's you would be forgiven for thinking he was born next to a billabong.
Strewth, I'd make you right they are Aussie as they come mate! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx4X4e5NA4g

quasinormal
Nov 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
Strewth, I'd make you right they are Aussie as they come mate! g[/URL]

Nah, their Scottish. And for the record, Mel Gibson Is American, as is Rupert Murdoch, and Russell Crowe is a New Zealander.

We deny all responsibility.

peterh988
Nov 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
'In the old days', there were lots of songs -- hits -- that were only available on 7" singles. Off the top of my head:

"Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" - Led Zeppelin
"19th Nervous Breakdown" - Rolling Stones
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Rolling Stones
"Honky Tonk Women" - Rolling Stones
"Paperback Writer" - Beatles
"Lady Madonna" - Beatles
"Hey Jude"/"Revolution" - Beatles
"Ballad of John and Yoko" - Beatles

Yes, it was considered bad etiquette (for a while) to sell the customer the single, and then include it as an album track as well.

decafjava
Nov 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
That's a sad day really. The iTunes business model is destroying the music industry and especially the musicians. Sound quality is a big issue also. We have now at least one generation who thinks that Mp3 files listened to through tiny speakers or cheap head phones resembles a musical experience. CDs are bad enough so now those will go away it looks. Where is the outrage?

Please, if musicians are hurting it's because of the record companies nothing else. So many of the younger generation of musicians have embraced digital distribution, furthermore the publishing industry have embraced it and are flourishing.

As for sound quality most people who claim a difference are blowing smoke out their ... ears.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/04/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test/

The difference is in the quality of the speakers and earbuds etc., I stream my music through my hifi stereo (a used technics system still better than 90% of computer speakers out there) and use etymotic earphones on my iphone. Maybe not as good as vinyl, but then I wouldn't have the space to store my whole collection in my apartment anyway.

----------

Happy but sad. Because their reasons were completely spot-on. An album is like a journey, and if you only listen to parts of that journey, you don't fully get what the artist wanted you to hear. But at the same time, I'm sure this was the right move. Hope they at least swung a nice deal with them.

Nonsense, you (and maybe AC/DC) must not be aware that songs can be set for album-only download on itunes. As for the album journey remark, depends on the artist doesn't it? Some bands produce filler, or perhaps a set of songs with no real thematic unity, besides singles and compilations have been part of the music industry forever. Anyway why did AC/DC release soundtrack albums if they were so worried about artistic integrity??

litedesign
Nov 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
Still waiting for King Crimson, too....

GoCubsGo
Nov 20, 2012, 06:36 AM
Yes, it was considered bad etiquette (for a while) to sell the customer the single, and then include it as an album track as well.

Really? Where'd you hear that?

peterh988
Nov 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Really? Where'd you hear that?

I think it was on some radio show (more than likely Ken Bruce on Radio 2, UK) interviewing some big name producer of the George Martin pedigree, who mentioned it was 'not right' to sell people the same track twice for a period.

WigWag Workshop
Nov 20, 2012, 07:51 AM
Still waiting for King Crimson, too....

Although I own the discography, would be cool to see King Crimson available.

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Apple's weekly "New on iTunes" email features AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Kid Rock, all artists who resisted the lure of iTunes for years. Perhaps this is Apple's way of gloating!

redhawk87
Nov 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
I dont get it. Most of AC/DC's hits are on the top 100 downloaded songs on iTunes. Same thing happened when the beatles were released. What is confusing me is why so many people are buying it. If your a fan of AC/DC and you wanted their music before, chances are you bought their albums from walmart or you just pirated. So I would think those people would already have AC/DC's songs. Its not like people are going to be like "OHHHH I need to "upgrade" it to iTunes format!". At least I hope not. Other old acts (including the beatles) rarely make it on the top 100 list. If they do it because they played a song at the grammys or something. The only thing I could attribute the massive downloading of their songs to is the advertising they are getting on the home page of iTunes. Anyone know a better reason? I could understand if downloading an iTunes version was comparable to going from VHS to DVD but its not.

rhett7660
Nov 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
I am glad to see this finally happen. I happen to own all I want from them long before this but this is still good.

I like the look of the super uber edition that has everything they have pretty much done. Wish iTunes and Apple would do more sets like this.

I never released Tool in not in the iTunes store. I have all their stuff too but I never released it. Very interesting.

afd
Nov 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone else with ripped from CD AC/DC songs not being matched but showing as uploaded? I tried deleting from library and match but still not being matched.

Not getting into the whole Scottish / Austrailian thing, but here's a link (http://www.planetrock.com/promotions/the-acdc-exhibition/acdc-staging-area/) about the AC/DC that was at Kelvingrove art gallery last year.

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
I dont get it. Most of AC/DC's hits are on the top 100 downloaded songs on iTunes. Same thing happened when the beatles were released. What is confusing me is why so many people are buying it. If your a fan of AC/DC and you wanted their music before, chances are you bought their albums from walmart or you just pirated. So I would think those people would already have AC/DC's songs.
I'm one of the people buying 'em. I like a couple of AC/DC songs but not enough to buy an album. But now I can buy the couple I'd like to have in my collection. A few from the top of their list is enough.

gpzjock
Nov 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
Not getting into the whole Scottish / Austrailian thing, but here's a link (http://www.planetrock.com/promotions/the-acdc-exhibition/acdc-staging-area/) about the AC/DC that was at Kelvingrove art gallery last year.

Let me make it real simple, AC/DC are an Australian band made up of Australian citizens who live in America but who's genealogical heritage is predominately Scottish, excluding Brian Johnston who is a Geordie (English version of a Scot thanks to the border moving about 50 miles North a fair time previously and I mean centuries not years!). Scotland's greatest export is Scottishness not whiskey so any ex-patriot or their kin are claimed as Scots by default. Hence the exhibition.
Australians have every right to claim AC/DC as their own but Scots will always argue that you can take the man out of Scotland but you can't take Scotland out of the man.
I'm a Scot but even that won't stop me from calling AC/DC the greatest rock'n'roll band to ever come from Australia. Angus and Malcolm may be Jock Tamson's bairns but Australia was originally built out of Scots, Irish, Welsh and English who couldn't run faster than those pesky Peelers, the world is a richer place thanks to their assistance in developing such a wonderful continent. :eek:

Macist
Nov 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
Any bands still 'holidng out' should get on iTunes.

If some kid stumbles upon a band, be they as huge as AC/DC or some obscure act they've just read about someplace, if they can't spend their iTunes voucher they'll go looking on pirate sources.

It's that simple.

unplugme71
Nov 21, 2012, 06:10 AM
So people spent a small fortune on beatles songs, when they already had them, becuase itunes match was not available?

or they were lazy to import their CD's into iTunes...

BRyken
Nov 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
Now I can upgrade my iTunes Match AC/DC to AAC

Truffy
Nov 27, 2012, 01:57 AM

No quite "everyone". Me, for instance. The way I tend to use iTunes is thus: I play the 90s excerpts from an album; if there's only one or two tracks that I like, I buy from iTunes; if there's more, I buy the CD from Amazon (it usually works out cheaper, and I can rip at better that 256).

So I might actually end up buying AC/DC's albums off the back of this. But perhaps I'm the only one, eh? :rolleyes:

Truffy
Nov 27, 2012, 02:14 AM
I have never understood why a band would reject digital downloads to preserve the album experience instead of single song purchases when they can make all the songs on the album "album only" meaning the only way to buy the songs is to buy the whole album. I'm assuming they just don't realize this is an option?
To be honest, I don't understand the whole 'preserving the concept of the album' argument anyway. If that were the case, they wouldn't have released any 7" singles. But they did. :confused:

alhedges
Nov 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
No, it doesn't. It's more popular on the radio, but it sells fewer songs and albums, and far fewer people attend country concerts as opposed to rock concerts.

I didn't find any data for downloads.

or they were lazy to import their CD's into iTunes...
This. You will never go broke by overestimating people's laziness. Especially mine.

Although for me, and I suspect a lot of people, the situation unfolds thusly:

1. I'd like some AC/DC.
2. Oh, they're not on iTunes. Well, I'll look for the CD at Amazon.
3. CDs are $10 apiece; I don't want to buy all of them...so I'll just get one.
4. Four years later...
5. Oh, AC/DC is now on iTunes. I should get some.

Nov 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Without getting into the nuts and bolts of recording contracts, advances, pooling, recoupment, etc. etc. AC/DC really has only themselves to blame.

This isn't about piracy so much as it is being bound to archaic contract terms which still emphasize the album.

The basic problem is that they don't have a fractionalized contract (rare) where they'd get an advance for each single. They get an album advance... and they have to pay it back. And AC/DC probably collects large advances at this point in their career so they need to generate significantly larger sales than the old days in order to repay the label, but times and tastes have changed... but so did distribution.

While one song or two was enough to get people to buy the whole album back in the day, customers now have a very convenient option not to (not even accounting for piracy)... but bands in general haven't become tremendously more adept at songwriting when this change came. They still get by on one good hit or two per album.

So, the solution to AC/DC's problem is this: Either tighten your pockets and stop asking for advances out of line with your shrinking place in music, or write consistently good albums that people will actually be compelled to buy all tracks.

As much as I like their music for what it is: basic meat and potatoes rock, I've rarely ever seen a band make a 40 year career out of recycling the same single entendre over and over--every song of theirs is a cheap metaphor for sex, and they all have a relatively similar sound. It's no wonder they feel threatened... The barely talented always fear change, and rightly so. They're the least capable of adapting.

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
To be fair, they aren't nearly as successful and shouldn't have nearly the clout they do. They're a decent band and I know it's just my opinion but are really overrated - too much droning nonsense.
I don't disagree but they seem to be the last notable (debatable I'm sure) hold out.

Though I'm not that impressed my iTunes availability anymore. When streaming services (Spotify, MOG) have access to the former iTunes holdouts, I'll know the future is upon us.

anutharoundu
Nov 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
People were just getting the music other ways anyways. They might as well make some money.

http://self-confdence-coach.com/images/101.gif

zudy
Dec 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
It's about time.

Brenster
Dec 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
With the AC/DC catalogue having been released on the iTunes store, I'm tempted to pick up some of the familiar tunes & albums from my youth. I'm wanting the Complete Box Set (including the live albums) but can't afford it all up front, so I'm likely to buy individual albums & tracks from within it then doing a "complete my album" at a later date. If I buy an individual album from the boxset, would I get the iTunes LP content associated with that album? Or do you just get the one big iTunes LP with the full boxset and the iTunes LP content for a each album can only be had with buying said albums individually outside of the box set.

I've usually bought this sort of boxset physically before now (Beatles stereo & mono, Pink Floyd Discovery) & ripped into iTunes but it really is high time to go exclusively digital now.

Thanks in advance for any clues, advice etc.

designs216
Dec 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
Yeah! Givin' the dog a bone!