Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demonimpnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Hey posting my stolen laptop info in case anyone here can offer suggestions for locating/tracking, etc.

Recently stolen from parked car in Wellington, New Zealand.

Police report number 050909/0781
Bluetooth ID 0011246888F1
Ethernet ID: 000D9361D24C
Airport Extreme ID: 0011249643CE
PowerBok G4 15.2"/1.67GHz - 128/512MB/80GB/SD/AP/AUS
Family ID: ZOB6
Model No: A1106
serial No. W851605USQ7
Serial Number: W851605USQ7
EthernetID: 000D9361D24C
AirPortID: 0011249643CE

Stolen on 9-8-2005 in Wellington New Zealand

Extra information: 128/512MB/80GB/SC/AP/AUS

Crime report:
Incident number :050909/0781
City: Wellington
Date: 9-9-2005

Thanks everyone, hope someone can help!

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Damn I know how you are feeling! My beloved powerbook (see sig) was stolen 3 weeks ago when travelling by train from Berlin to Vienna. Had my bag secured below my feet... I thought. Fell asleep and one hour later - gone. The thieves didn't even know what was inside my bag. I had it insured and called insurance next day. At first they say they'll pay and I buy a new one since I need one for work (freelance graphic designer). Last week they call me and tell me I only get 1000 € instead of 2600 (the full price in Austria). Better than nothing but I'm so pissed, both at the insurance and at the thieves.

Thought I'd tell you my story for you to know that you are not the only one to whom **** happens....

Sorry for your loss. :(

Ignis

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2005
speaking of insurances...

mad jew said:
That really sucks. I hope it was insured.

Not related to this thread completely (still sorry to hear about the teft), but related to insurances...

About a year ago when I was on train someone managed to give a little push to my iBook while he was walking on the train corridor. That didn't seem to do anything, but once I put my iBook to sleep and exited the train, the next time I opened it I noticed that instead of sleep it was turned off. Well, I tried to turn it on again, but got only missing startup disk icon.

Back in home I booted from CD and everything seemed to be "fine" at HD, altough I had lost several files, but eventually I didn't managed to get it to boot again, even after formatting it again. So it was time to buy a new HD.

Cost of getting new HD bought and installed was about 200 Euros, but when I called the insurance company they said that my insurance covered only losses over 180 Euro. I tried to argue to them that I had also lost important files, not just material costs, but they said that the insurance didn't cover the files! So I got 20 Euros out from them. There were several important client files, over 10 hours of work, plus some email. When getting insurance, read *very* carefully the contract terms!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
chaosbunny said:
Damn I know how you are feeling! My beloved powerbook (see sig) was stolen 3 weeks ago when travelling by train from Berlin to Vienna. Had my bag secured below my feet... I thought. Fell asleep and one hour later - gone. The thieves didn't even know what was inside my bag. I had it insured and called insurance next day. At first they say they'll pay and I buy a new one since I need one for work (freelance graphic designer). Last week they call me and tell me I only get 1000 € instead of 2600 (the full price in Austria). Better than nothing but I'm so pissed, both at the insurance and at the thieves.

I think your insurance should have covered the entire cost of the PB if the contract says they cover thefts. :confused: I would have argued until they gave me the 2600 EUROs, unless there's something you're not telling us. What was their reason for not giving you the full amount?

Ignis said:
\Cost of getting new HD bought and installed was about 200 Euros, but when I called the insurance company they said that my insurance covered only losses over 180 Euro. I tried to argue to them that I had also lost important files, not just material costs, but they said that the insurance didn't cover the files! So I got 20 Euros out from them. There were several important client files, over 10 hours of work, plus some email. When getting insurance, read *very* carefully the contract terms!
I wouldn't give you insurance on "files" either. That would be ridiculous.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I read a story in one of our local papers that police said that thieves were using some sort of bluetooth scanner to detect notebooks in the boots (Americans read 'trunks') of cars parked at train stations. I don't know if the bluetooth module of the powerbooks is still on whilst the machine is asleep but maybe the thieves used one of those?

I guess in the PC world it's only newer or more expensive notebooks that have bluetooth.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Abstract said:
I think your insurance should have covered the entire cost of the PB if the contract says they cover thefts. :confused: I would have argued until they gave me the 2600 EUROs, unless there's something you're not telling us. What was their reason for not giving you the full amount?

in a lot of cases insurance will only pay you the "current value" of what you lost and not the original cost.......it's usually spelled out in the policy but a lot of people dont even check to see what they're actually buying so they end up getting an unpleasant surprise

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Macky-Mac said:
in a lot of cases insurance will only pay you the "current value" of what you lost and not the original cost.......it's usually spelled out in the policy but a lot of people dont even check to see what they're actually buying so they end up getting an unpleasant surprise

The current value of his lost laptop would be far greater than 1000 euro though 2000 is about what he could get from amazon probably 2-3 hundred more.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
AP_piano295 said:
The current value of his lost laptop would be far greater than 1000 euro though 2000 is about what he could get from amazon probably 2-3 hundred more.

well....most insurance policies have deductibles of course .....plus an insurance company will have their own depreciation schedules for products which you can be sure is not going to be the same as what you might get if you sold it yourself.....there are a lot of factors, usually none of which are in favor of the consumer

anyway, I was just pointing out that insurance policies generally don't provide coverage that means they're going to buy a brand new product to replace your old and used item if it gets stolen

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I feel sorry for you man. Now I am kind of a encouraged to set a Firmware password as well as Logging in. So if those bastards even steel it, it would be useless to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.