PDA

View Full Version : Finally, mac file trading app with FILES!

MacAztec
Nov 26, 2002, 06:12 PM
Weee! XNap found on VersionTracker!

King Cobra
Nov 26, 2002, 06:23 PM
Just shy of a Petabyte. Impressive.

Have you tried out Drumbeat (http://drumbeat.info/)? The website says it can gather multiple Petabytes of data, sort of like XNap. On the downside, however,
It crashes quite often, and
It costs $30.

I've give XNap a go, probably sometime later in the week. Are there a lot of fake songs on XNap? (Test out about 10 files of Sum 41 - Still Waiting...you'll know right away if it's a fake) Drumbeat seems to have no fakes, but I'm just asking.

arn
Nov 26, 2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Just shy of a Petabyte. Impressive.

Have you tried out Drumbeat (http://drumbeat.info/)? The website says it can gather multiple Petabytes of data, sort of like XNap. On the downside, however,
It crashes quite often, and
It costs $30.

I've give XNap a go, probably sometime later in the week. Are there a lot of fake songs on XNap? (Test out about 10 files of Sum 41 - Still Waiting...you'll know right away if it's a fake) Drumbeat seems to have no fakes, but I'm just asking.

XNap and Drumbeat are on the same network - so same files, same users. They both use OpenNap... which is Napster but with 3rd party servers.

arn

MacAztec
Nov 26, 2002, 06:37 PM
Can you help me set this up? I dont know how to connect to a lot of servers. And alot of my files are not downloading, but some are. Can someone help me out?

arn
Nov 26, 2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Can you help me set this up? I dont know how to connect to a lot of servers. And alot of my files are not downloading, but some are. Can someone help me out?

I think it connects automatically.. I think some servers block people who don't share enough files. That's about all I know.

arn

King Cobra
Nov 26, 2002, 06:50 PM
My appreciations, arn.

With that info, Aztec, try maximuzing the number of connections XNap can handle, with whatever preference settings are provided. Also, just keep searching for a new version of the file if you can't "test out" what you are looking for. I found this a big problem with Drumbeat, and I got pretty impatient. But the networks are constantly busy, and are disconnecting/connecting/etc., and it's damn lot of connections attempting to be established. If you have a lower speed internet connection, try setting the number lower.

Other than that, it's trial and error. If the file is hard to find, it may take a long time to.... If it's a common file, just use trial and error.

mac15
Nov 26, 2002, 06:53 PM
I've been using this for a while now and I have to say its gettng alot better. I reckon its better than limewire and acquisition. Well done!

mnkeybsness
Nov 26, 2002, 11:34 PM
this program is really poorl written and runs SOOO SLOW...kinda the way limewire used to feel...i got a feeling it's java....

...plus downloading is either slow or nonexistent

benixau
Nov 27, 2002, 04:48 AM
What about KDX. i have seen some pretty good stuff on there. I havent tried XNap but i must say that anything is better than limewire.

Limewire shoud be renamed to cr*p-lame-***** wire

BenderBot1138
Nov 27, 2002, 05:52 AM
What's the deal with that interface???? It looks like XNAP programmers had absolutely no intention of even trying to make an interface that says "look, I work in OS X".

If they wanted to offer a different look, build in skins or something. Wow, am I in a bad mood this morning...

Oh well, I don't use files sharers anyway, so I'm not overly concerned... was cool to play with for a few minutes... except for that non OSX interface that is.

:cool:

Royal Pineapple
Nov 27, 2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i got a feeling it's java....

now whatever gave you that idea?
was it the big "JAVA FILESHARING CLIENT" at the top of the screen ;)
just givin ya a little ***** no hard feelings

if this is as good as you say than im impressed
does it do other things than mp3's because napster didnt.
no further questions

King Cobra
Nov 27, 2002, 06:03 PM
>(benixau) Limewire shoud be renamed to cr*p-lame-***** wire

Lamewire should do fine. :)

>(BenderBot) What's the deal with that interface???? It looks like XNAP programmers had absolutely no intention of even trying to make an interface that says "look, I work in OS X".

Granted, but I'd rather have a program that works, rather than something pretty to stare at before it crashes. :)

>(Pineapple) if this is as good as you say than im impressed
>does it do other things than mp3's because napster didnt.
>no further questions

I'm impressed?

Anyways, I'm checking the OpenNap > Status part of XNap, and I'm getting a lot of nasty messages, including being banned, because I didn't share 1.5GB of files, or so many. Should I be worried?

Other than that, I don't think I'll go back to Drumbeat or Acquisition. Nice pic, Aztec. :cool:

benixau
Nov 28, 2002, 07:31 AM
sorry, after using kdx and getting 100kbit/s compared to 1kbit/s and being able to leave it on all night to download heaps limewire seems well, i guess you know.

i guess i got carried away

Wes
Nov 28, 2002, 08:29 AM
You guys know any kdx trackers? The ones I enter do not work ;-)

King Cobra
Nov 28, 2002, 09:19 AM
I don't even understand how to get KDX to work. I downloaded
KDX Client
KDX Server
KDX TrackerServer
but I don't understand a thing. :confused:^2

irmongoose
Nov 28, 2002, 10:09 AM
For you guys who don't know how to work KDX...

Open KDX Client.
Click Connect.
Where it says Server or Tracker, select Tracker.
Next, go to this (http://www.titaniumcounter.com/temp/kdx/) page and copy the address of the first one on that list with a checkmark.
Go back to KDX, and paste that IP where it says address.
Click the Connect button.

There. now it should come up with a list of servers, and if you know hotline or carracho, it should be easy.

If you want to bookmark this address, click Address Book and ctrl-click on the window that comes up, and select New. Then, just enter the information and click Save.

Remember, the name of the server or tracker doesn't matter, you can name it what you want. And don't forget to select an icon and name for yourself in Settings, as many servers will ban you if you don't have them.

irmongoose

irmongoose
Nov 28, 2002, 10:17 AM
Aaagh! Double post! Again! I'm having problems with my network, sorry... please delete.

irmongoose

OSeXy!
Nov 28, 2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
I don't even understand how to get KDX to work. I downloaded
KDX Client
KDX Server
KDX TrackerServer
but I don't understand a thing. :confused:^2

KDX works great. You don't need an instruction manual, you just need to poke around a bit and use some common sense and street smarts (and be polite!).

King Cobra
Nov 28, 2002, 03:51 PM
>(and be polite!)

Is that meant for the chats or PMs? I have hardly ever dealt with something like that, so how do I go about an intense situation, if anyone has ever gotten into one?

Yes, I got it to work, appreciations, goose. :p

mnkeybsness
Nov 28, 2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple

now whatever gave you that idea?
was it the big "JAVA FILESHARING CLIENT" at the top of the screen ;)
just givin ya a little ***** no hard feelings

i meant that the java programming on it is bad like limewire used to be...even though limewire's interface is still kinda slow and gets stuck sometimes

AssassinOfGates
Nov 28, 2002, 08:27 PM
I'm noticing slow download speeds. Does Xnap use "swarm" downloads?

BenderBot1138
Nov 29, 2002, 03:05 AM
King Cobra makes a good point about the interface not having to look nice, so long as it doesn't crash...

Isn't the OSX look something special though... I really like it :D

:cool:

j763
Nov 29, 2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by mac15
I reckon its better than limewire. Well done!

If it was worse than limewire then :o

LimeWire is utter crap.

benixau
Nov 29, 2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by W-_-W
You guys know any kdx trackers? The ones I enter do not work ;-)

kdxtracker.hn.org
kdxtracker.shacknet.nu

they are good and have a lot of unique stuff. there are a few repeats tho.

Wes
Nov 29, 2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by benixau

kdxtracker.hn.org
kdxtracker.shacknet.nu

they are good and have a lot of unique stuff. there are a few repeats tho.

Thanks

Dr. Distortion
Nov 29, 2002, 07:41 AM
--edited--

cb911
Nov 29, 2002, 03:57 PM
i would never use anything other than KDX, well i might try xNap...

cb911
Nov 29, 2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion

(offtopic)

What's your nickname on KDX? I don't remember seeing "irmongoose" around...

I'm called JoshuaMac on kdx, you know, the guy who runs joshuamac.homeip.net (tracker) ;)

Nice to meet you Mr. JoshuaMac! :D

my name on KDX is Mugget... and i have the same avatar as here on Macrumors. come to think of it, i use that same picture everywhere! :)

come on, everyone else has to post their KDX names.;) :)

MacAztec
Nov 29, 2002, 04:09 PM
MacAztek!

King Cobra
Nov 29, 2002, 04:13 PM
My KDX name is "platinum".

The icon I use is for any mp4 file for Quicktime.

cb911
Nov 29, 2002, 04:27 PM
cool. i'll keep an eye out for you 'platinum'.;)

and MacAztek, what is your icon?

MacAztec
Nov 29, 2002, 05:27 PM
Its the yellow with black lines.

Im not really fluent with KDX, can you tell me where I can get into some free servers?

cb911
Nov 29, 2002, 06:09 PM
first off.... you should change your default icon. you can just make a picture.(i think it's 32x32 pixels is the size.) then you copy it, go into KDX settings and then click on the picture box and paste.

most people don't like users that have the default icon. as for free servers you can just connect to trackers and in the server description it will say if the server is a free one or not.

also, my AIM screenname is mugg3t... so if you need any help...:)

Wes
Nov 29, 2002, 06:13 PM
The only thing about kdx that annoys me is the fact that admins can limit guest dl speed. It annoys me I have 60k's worth of bandwitdh on my 512 connection, and i'm getting 3 k per sec!

mac15
Nov 30, 2002, 07:35 AM

(offtopic)

I'm called JoshuaMac on kdx, you know, the guy who runs joshuamac.homeip.net (tracker) ;)

your Joshua Mac, I bow down to you! great place

irmongoose
Nov 30, 2002, 09:07 AM

(offtopic)

Woah, you're JoshuaMac? I always use that tracker!

Anyways, I always use 'IR Mongoose' ... but I'm not on all the time, just when I 'feel like it' :p

irmongoose

FattyMembrane
Nov 30, 2002, 12:43 PM
xnap is a great filesharing app and even works on most firewalled university connections. next to the gnutella network, i've found it to be the best around. as for the interface, the "adaptive" theme or whatever it's called looks a lot like osx, enough to be very usable. the developers are working on this program on their own time and with no compensation and still people bitch that the interface does not look exactly as they want it. why dont you download the sourcecode and build a native version if it's so important to you? we're lucky that we can run it, you have to remember that not many people use osx and if you're going to bitch about how a first rate program does not look the way you want it to, you should not be surprised that things like kazaa, bearshare, directconnect and the rest aren't on our platform. it's a 5 star program with a very good interface for an osx java app. i'd like to see another pure java app (not cocoa java) with a better osx adaptive interface.

Dr. Distortion
Nov 30, 2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose

Woah, you're JoshuaMac? I always use that tracker!

Anyways, I always use 'IR Mongoose' ... but I'm not on all the time, just when I 'feel like it' :p

irmongoose

You might want to check out "DrM's Cortex", he's situated on a Japanese university, so I guess you'll have great speeds from him.

Anyway, I've been on kdx since August 2001, and when I founded my tracker there were only about 20 servers on kdx. It's great to see the amount of servers growing every week, and also development on kdx never stops. I think KDX is becoming a great community, I mean, it's already a great community.

Oh yeah, and about ppl complaining about server speeds: if your speed is capped it's because the admin deemed it necessary. Imagine a 100mbit server being leeched by 50-60 ppl... don't you think if they aren't capped the network admins would get a heart attack when they see the bandwidth use going sky-high?

That's why admins need to put caps on their server's upstream

-Dr. D.