PDA

View Full Version : OpenFeint Multiplayer iOS Platform Shutting Down, Could Break Older Games

MacRumors
Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/19/openfeint-multiplayer-ios-platform-shutting-down-could-break-older-games/)

OpenFeint, one of the first iOS leaderboard platforms, will be shutting down in one month (http://toucharcade.com/2012/11/16/gree-pulls-the-plug-on-openfeint-with-less-than-one-month-notice-to-developers/) according to the company that owns it. The problem, at least for gamers, is that older games may crash upon launch depending on how they are coded.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage24.pngDevelopers have until December 14th to migrate away from OpenFeint, at which point it'll be offline forever. Even under normal circumstances this sort of deadline would be pretty crazy, but it's especially insane now given the massive influx of developers working around the clock to get their apps and games submitted before the cutoff to have them approved and on the App Store before the iTunes holiday freeze.

Basically, to make this cutoff, developers are going to need to drop everything they're doing, open up every old project that utilizes OpenFeint and re-code all of those API hooks to either use Game Center or whatever proprietary solution they come up with on their own. Assuming that doesn't take too long, compiling, uploading, and crossing their respective fingers might result in no downtime for their users.GREE purchased OpenFeint (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/22/openfeint-acquired-by-japanese-gaming-company-gree-for-104-million/) for $104 million last year, perhaps a poorly thought out purchase with the service shutting down 18 months later. For newer games, Apple's GameCenter will enable most of the features that OpenFeint supported -- multiplayer support, leader boards, achievements and more.

Article Link: OpenFeint Multiplayer iOS Platform Shutting Down, Could Break Older Games (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/19/openfeint-multiplayer-ios-platform-shutting-down-could-break-older-games/)

bushido
Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
wtf ... i loved it. my game scores would actually stay in sync on multiple devices :mad: angry birds im lookin at u

Matrix9180
Nov 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
This comes less than a year after they told developers both OpenFeint and GREE Platform would coexist. The network still sees tons of traffic. This is just GREE sending a big **** you to game developers and gamers.

D-Back
Nov 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Good riddance, open feint was absolutely terrible.

komodrone
Nov 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
**** off openfeint.

northernbaldy
Nov 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
I never really understood what it did :p

The Bulge
Nov 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
I never really understood what it did :p

It's for tweeting that you just finished Angry Birds level. Duh :rolleyes:

Nov 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
Just another reason to be wary of "cloud solutions" purporting to be "for the long haul" - good riddance.

extricated
Nov 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
This really cracks me up.

My apologies to those who loved it - if any of you exist.

hirshnoc
Nov 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
"perhaps a poorly thought out purchase with the service shutting down 18 months later."

LOL

I'm sure they knew this was gonna happen. Not...

mrsir2009
Nov 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
Good riddance. It was rather annoying to have to make that extra click on "No, I don't want these awesome features" whenever I got a iOS game.

DavidTheExpert
Nov 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
YES! This is OUTSTANDING news. I can not express in words how much I hated those damn openfeint popup messages at the beginning of nearly every single game I ever played on iOS. Good ****ing riddance!

foobarbaz
Nov 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
I don't expect many apps crashing. Those apps would have also crashed whenever I'm offline and thus would have been angrily deleted a long time ago. :)

bushido
Nov 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
so people actually disliked it? i thought their save in the cloud feature was great. i ignored the rest however

northernbaldy
Nov 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
It's for tweeting that you just finished Angry Birds level. Duh :rolleyes:

Pointless crap then :p much like game center

Usehername
Nov 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
OpenFeint? Never heard of them.

The Bulge
Nov 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
Pointless crap then :p much like game center

Indeed :)

ikir
Nov 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Long life to Game Center!!

M. Malone
Nov 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
No thanks, I don't want these awesome features.

Fruit Cake
Nov 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
Feeling a bit feint? ;)

sazivad
Nov 19, 2012, 03:08 PM
Too bad that OpenFeint, which existed before Game Center, is now shutting down. I mean, they were the first to implement it.

Although having to click "I don't want these awesome features," instead of something like "No thanks," to dismiss the initial popup, is sort of dumb.

MadeTheSwitch
Nov 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
This really cracks me up.

My apologies to those who loved it - if any of you exist.

I exist! I've always liked OpenFeint, so this is really really bad news to me. It's my version of the twinkies going away. Hopefully the games I play using it will be updated.

But I have to say, it's pretty stupid to buy something for that much cash and then close it so soon afterwards. What the hell were they thinking?

cclloyd
Nov 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
Glad I always chose the Game Center and icloud combo instead of that.

Jessica Lares
Nov 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
Aww, I remember the first time I used OpenFeint. That was so long ago. Now them and Plus+ are both gone. :( Good memories of the iPhone 2G and the iOS App Store's first year.

Truffy
Nov 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
GREE purchased OpenFeint (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/22/openfeint-acquired-by-japanese-gaming-company-gree-for-104-million/) for $104 million last year, perhaps a poorly thought out purchase with the service shutting down 18 months later.
Didn't they shut it down though?
it's pretty stupid to buy something for that much cash and then close it so soon afterwards. What the hell were they thinking?
Eliminating opposition and 'clarifying' the market, perhaps?

Glassed Silver
Nov 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
People laugh this off, however, it was a good way to play against Android users if I remember correctly, as OF was cross-platform.

Meh, but I think it's beneficial in the long run to have ONE place for all achievements, game friendships, etc etc...
Makes things tidier, better integrated and might even make some old games that broke work again, because developers remove some deprecated code and replace it with some fresh lines.
Well, one can hope, right? :)

Anyways, generally good news, however, I'd love to be able to still have a place for multi-platform gaming apart from Apple devices, because quite frankly, I want to play with people based on who they are and what games there are, not based on which phone or computer they might have.
(No, this is not a cry for Apple opening up GameCenter to Android & Co.)

Glassed Silver:mac

Ballis
Nov 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
Finally! I hated that crap.

a0me
Nov 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
Good riddance, open feint was absolutely terrible.
Have you seen what is replacing it? If you thought OpenFeint was bad, never ever download a GREE powered game.

maxwelltech
Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
The only game I remember that uses OpenFeint is Fruit Ninja, and there is a Game Center option in there as well. I believe most games that utilized OpenFeint are on Game Center now. Bye, OpenFeint.

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
The only online service I can say I don't dislike is Battle.net. All my online service really needs is to find other players to match me up against. IDK what it is about it, but leaderboards as implemented in every iOS game so far have really disappointed me... I think Blizzard really nailed it with the concept of every board only have 100 players on it and everyone on each board is of similar skill.

jvpython
Nov 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
Developers must have been warned earlier as Jetpack Joyride was just updated today to remove it.

Quu
Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
I really did not enjoy the OpenFeint popups on games. So I'm glad to see it go.

dazed
Nov 20, 2012, 12:44 AM

This was my first reaction too

pubwvj
Nov 20, 2012, 05:43 AM
Sloppy programming if they can't gracefully fall back.

DJJAZZYJET
Nov 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
'no, i don't want these awesome features'

somethingelsefl
Nov 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
Good riddance. Why do so many of the comments for this post say, "Good Riddance"? Is that an Open Feint reference or something?

usasalazar
Nov 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
No thanks, I don't want these awesome features.

Boom.

theanimaster
Nov 21, 2012, 06:15 AM
A lot of people here hating on OpenFeint. It ain't OpenFeint's fault that you have to click on their crud -- go blame the game developers who USE OpenFeint for that!

But yeah... I used to like OF... but then it became annoying... I mean, even Game Center can be annoying at times, 'specially when it slows your device down when loading up (3gs here).

Apple should have bought OpenFeint.

While we're at it, can anybody say CRYSTAL ???? XD

Spock
Nov 21, 2012, 07:58 AM

Apple should build in an API to give the option of shutting these services off in system preferences. If I want to use them I have the option, if I don't want the pop-ups I can disable them.

charlituna
Nov 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Developers must have been warned earlier as Jetpack Joyride was just updated today to remove it.

We don't know that JJ was updated to remove it be cause Gree sent out the announcement cutting Open Feint, or they decided before this to do it on their own.

----------

Apple should build in an API to give the option of shutting these services off in system preferences. If I want to use them I have the option, if I don't want the pop-ups I can disable them.

No what we need is for the game developers to code their apps so if you say no at the first pop up you don't get hit with it every time you open the app. it should know that you said no and have it in the settings for you to choose to change your mind later. Rather like how when you go into an app that wants Location access you get the one pop up and after that you go into Settings for the device to change it

Jarate!
Jan 15, 2013, 05:55 PM
GODDAMMNT! No wonder why I couldn't get OF on my itouch anymore. Crap