PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile desktop speakers?

Imola Ghost
Nov 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Looking for some smaller footprint desktop speakers that actually sound excellent.

nuckinfutz
Nov 19, 2012, 04:07 PM
Audio Engine (http://audioengineusa.com)

Kantos (http://www.kantospeakers.com)

John Blue JB3 (http://www.johnblue-audio.com)

NOCS NS2
(http://www.nocs.se/collections/speakers/products/ns2-air-monitors)

I want some new speakers too.

Gofre
Nov 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Budget? Powered or externally amped?

spoonie1972
Nov 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
dynaudio has some desktop-specific angled monitors that look pretty cool. i haven't auditioned a set yet. Not sure if they're "audiophile", though.

wackymacky
Nov 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
I had a pair of B&W's MM1 for a while. Great sounding if you're not into super low base.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/iPod-and-Computer-Speakers/MM-1/overview.html

Destroysall
Nov 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
Looking for some smaller footprint desktop speakers that actually sound excellent.
Establish a budget, please. There are a variety to choose from.

Destroysall.

alphaod
Nov 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Also how do you define small?

stiwi
Nov 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
I had a pair of B&W's MM1 for a while. Great sounding if you're not into super low base.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/iPod-and-Computer-Speakers/MM-1/overview.html

Lots of people complain about hissing issue with them. Just google it.
They also lack auto standby support (doesn't switch off automatically).

I am personally thinking between Bose Companion 20 and Focal XS book for 2.0 setup or Bose Companion 5 and Focal FX 2.1 for 2.1 setup.

MarcBook
Nov 22, 2012, 09:44 AM
The Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 speakers are the best computer speakers I've ever heard. I spend hours every day listening to them, they're that good.

Yes, they do have that hissing 'issue', but (at least in my case) the hiss is extremely quiet and is more like white noise, barely audible or noticeable.

Pros:

Small footprint, the size of coasters.
Full-range sound without a bulky subwoofer and the inevitable related cable mess.
Incredible clarity; they really do sound like full hi-fi speakers shrunk to desktop size. All digital, USB-fed signal with built-in DSP.
Accurate sound reproduction, unlike Bose and their messy and muddy sound (no offence to Bose fans).
Can go very loud, far louder than would be necessary for near-field speakers such as these. No noticeable distortion at high volumes.
Great build quality and gorgeous design, complementing any modern Mac very well.

Cons:

Low-end is there, but don't expect floor rumbling, chest pounding bass. They're not designed to emulate a club experience.
They do emit a faint hiss when there is no sound coming from the computer, but as I said above, it's extremely quiet and easily forgettable.
Expensive (400), although worth every penny, in my opinion.

911scanner
Dec 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hands down, the AudioPro LV2 or LVe2 beat almost all of the above listed choices.

http://www.audiopro.com/products/living-lv2e

Not "small" as computer speakers go, but small bookshelf sized, leather bound, self amplified speakers.

Not even close to "cheap", but certainly surpass most "computer" speakers in audiophile quality.

Oh yeah... Did I mention they're wireless? Only need AC power and a supplied USB dongle and you're set.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 11, 2012, 12:12 PM

The Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 speakers are the best computer speakers I've ever heard. I spend hours every day listening to them, they're that good.

Yes, they do have that hissing 'issue', but (at least in my case) the hiss is extremely quiet and is more like white noise, barely audible or noticeable.

Pros:

Full-range sound without a bulky subwoofer and the inevitable related cable mess.
Incredible clarity; they really do sound like full hi-fi speakers shrunk to desktop size. All digital, USB-fed signal with built-in DSP.
Accurate sound reproduction, unlike Bose and their messy and muddy sound (no offence to Bose fans).
Can go very loud, far louder than would be necessary for near-field speakers such as these. No noticeable distortion at high volumes.
Great build quality and gorgeous design, complementing any modern Mac very well.

Cons:

Low-end is there, but don't expect floor rumbling, chest pounding bass. They're not designed to emulate a club experience.
They do emit a faint hiss when there is no sound coming from the computer, but as I said above, it's extremely quiet and easily forgettable.

This would have been my suggestion as well; I'm a big fan of B&W equipment, and have been looking into purchasing them for myself.

While I don't have the speakers, I do have two sets of their headphones, the P5s and P3s and both are excellent.

Imola Ghost
Dec 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
[/COLOR]The Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 speakers are the best computer speakers I've ever heard. I spend hours every day listening to them, they're that good.

Pros:

Cons:

I see you mention they don't come with a subwoofer, so how does the low end sound with these small speakers?

bwhli
Dec 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yamaha HS50m (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QPH1CO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000QPH1CO&linkCode=as2&tag=bristum-20). I have a pair of these, as well as a pair of the larger HS80m's. They're both great sounding speakers. You'll beed an audio interface with XLR or 1/4 outputs to connect them though.

911scanner
Dec 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
[/COLOR]
I see you mention they don't come with a subwoofer, so how does the low end sound with these small speakers?

My experience was that without a sub, they do still kick out some low end for being a small speaker.

But then again, they are a small speaker. I used them for two days before I went looking again, At which point I realized that I would need to spend in the neighborhood of $600 & up to get the quality that I wanted.

That's how I ended up with the aforementioned AudioPros.

Destroysall
Dec 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
Why not go passive? You can get the Dayton Audio B652 loudspeaker set along with the SUB-1200 12" sub woofer. For amplification, go with the DTA-1 from Dayton Audio. If you need a USB DAC, grab the E10 from FiiO which doubles as a headphone amplifier as well. This should make for an excellent setup under $300.

If size is a concern, try out the D1080 MkIV from HiVi Swan at The Audio Insider.

destroysall.

andvari
Feb 6, 2013, 11:44 AM
Magneplanar Mini's if you have the space and budget are really really good.

If you are space/budget constrained look at the Focal Pro products.

Bose have an awful reputation in audiophile circles. I would give them a wide berth.

auhlixer
Feb 6, 2013, 04:31 PM
4s, 5s & 6s $350-$570

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/emotiva-airmotiv-5-active-monitor-speakers

I've had the 6s since november and love them. They have ribbon tweeters and are crystal clear. You can drive them off a nice pre-amp or tube pre-amp for added sound :D

trustever
Feb 7, 2013, 04:21 AM
+1 here for the I had a pair of B&W's MM1, I wish I could afford them, a friend has got them and they are imply superb.
If it was not for their price tag a pair of them would have been long standing on my desk...

MarcBook
Feb 7, 2013, 05:56 PM
[/COLOR]

I forgot to reply to this, but since the thread was recently resurrected...

They may be small speakers, but the bass drivers are high-efficiency and high-powered with a bass response down to 38Hz. They won't give out the hugely powerful kind of bass that a subwoofer would, but the bass notes are definitely audible and (depending on the room and its acoustics) can be surprisingly strong.

The MM-1 speakers are really designed for music lovers. They produce amazingly clear and full sound that suits every type of music (apart from very bass-heavy stuff such as dubstep...), but they're perhaps not quite so thrilling for gaming or action films, although they still sound fantastic for those types of media.

harmonicsReview
Apr 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
You might also consider serene audio's active speakers. Being 2.0, they are not for bass lovers, but they have a subwoofer output that might come in handy if you decided to add a sub later.

ChrisA
Apr 19, 2013, 12:57 AM

Smaller the better are two conflicting requirements. If they are vary small them you need a sub-woofer and the problem to avoid is if the sub-woofer needs to be crossed over abot about 40 or 50 Hz.

Those systems with the tiny 3 inch speakers and the big sub are Ok of video games and action movies but for serious music they are very poor. You will get the best sound from a pair of good studio monitors. As a rule get the bigest ones that will fit in the space you have.

The next step is acoustic treatment for the room. At least cover all the first reflection points. With out getting the room set up right expensive speakers are a waste. The way to think of it is like this: The sound comes out from the spekers and goes in all directions only a tiny fraction of the sound hits you ears. Most of it goes right on past you and hits a wall and then is echoed back. Controlleing this process is more important than the brand of speaker.

teknikal90
Apr 19, 2013, 01:49 AM
adam a7

done

hleewell
May 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
I was looking at KEF X300A, an active speaker with USB connection

http://www.roclay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/kef_x300A_2bx.jpg

http://kef.com/html/us/showroom/digital_music_solutions/X300A/overview/

ScottishCaptain
May 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
adam a7

done

+1.

The AMT tweeters in ADAM's stuff is unparalleled anywhere else. Only problem with the A7s is that you really, really need a decent ADDA converter to drive them properly. IMHO, a pair of A7's running through an Apogee Duet 2 would make for one hell of a setup.

-SC

Wardenski
May 27, 2013, 06:01 AM
Realise this is old thread but for what's its worth, personally, if I were spending > 400 on desktop speakers I would also consider buying an ordinary stereo amplifier plus a normal set of speakers.

I used to have the Logitech Z2300, which are decent but they have poor mid-range compared to an ordinary speaker and the bass is boomy. I gave up on computer speakers.

Currently I have a surround sound system - 5.0 speakers for 220, sub for 300 and amplifier for 350. Probably not audiophile speakers though.

I am saving up for some really nice stereo speakers at the moment...

jmill155
May 27, 2013, 06:31 AM
I just bought the harman kardon soundsticks 3 to replace my jbl creature 2 that I bought way back in 2004. I'll let you know how they sound

decafjava
May 30, 2013, 03:47 AM
I just bought the harman kardon soundsticks 3 to replace my jbl creature 2 that I bought way back in 2004. I'll let you know how they sound

So what are the results? Would be interested to hear any feedback!

May 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
B&W 685s all the way.

jmill155
May 30, 2013, 10:25 PM
So what are the results? Would be interested to hear any feedback!

Big difference in sound quality. I can hear instruments and samples in songs I couldn't hear before. Watching movies feels like I'm in the middle of it. I absolutely love them

SnowLeopard2008
May 30, 2013, 10:38 PM
Audioengine. B&W. KRK. B&O.

Mashuri
Jun 10, 2013, 02:10 PM
Why not go passive? You can get the Dayton Audio B652 loudspeaker set along with the SUB-1200 12" sub woofer. For amplification, go with the DTA-1 from Dayton Audio. If you need a USB DAC, grab the E10 from FiiO which doubles as a headphone amplifier as well. This should make for an excellent setup under $300.

If size is a concern, try out the D1080 MkIV from HiVi Swan at The Audio Insider.

destroysall.

This. You can do much better for way less than the powered speaker route. I picked up a cheap-but-impressive Lepai LP-2020A+ with a 3 amp power supply (I recommend at least 2A) and hooked up my left-over Polk RM satellites with 10" Polk powered sub. I then tuned it using SoundFlower / AU Lab for equalization on my source iMac along with a Dayton EMM-6 microphone connected to my rMBP (booted into Win 7) running TrueRTA. The sound is fantastic and blows away setups magnitudes more expensive.

walkie
Jul 11, 2013, 03:33 AM
Focal XS 2.1 is the best option for me if you are looking for a real audiophile PC speakers without losing bass, it implements its own burr-brown DAC, it has crystal clear higs, mids clarity and a fine bass, this set is really loud with no distortion.

starstern
Nov 17, 2013, 03:14 PM
had anyone expirienc4ed the iquake52 or :)quad3la speakers ?

mroddjob
Nov 19, 2013, 07:13 AM
Bang and Olufsen Beolab 3 :D

lamerica80
Nov 20, 2013, 05:11 AM
Hi all!

I have the latest mac mini with the Audioengine A5. Unfortunately my 5 year old A5:s amp is caving in, creating hisses and pops.

Im considering the Audioengine A5+ since i was very happy with the sound of the A5:s.

My question is, since the mini has an optical out, would i benefit from adding a cheap digital DAC between the mini and the a5:s? Would this improve sound quality?

For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-DAC-Digital-Analogue-Converter/dp/B0038M3ID8

Irishman
Nov 21, 2013, 06:58 AM
Hi all!

I have the latest mac mini with the Audioengine A5. Unfortunately my 5 year old A5:s amp is caving in, creating hisses and pops.

Im considering the Audioengine A5+ since i was very happy with the sound of the A5:s.

My question is, since the mini has an optical out, would i benefit from adding a cheap digital DAC between the mini and the a5:s? Would this improve sound quality?

For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-DAC-Digital-Analogue-Converter/dp/B0038M3ID8

So, right now your Mac Mini is connected directly to your A5s?

If you've got a free USB port, I would suggest going with an asynchronous DAC - the Audioquest Dragonfly is inexpensive, and won many audiophile awards since its introduction. I found it on Amazon.co.uk here for 169.00:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-ANALOGUE-CONVERTER-Electronics/dp/B00882U782/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385038822&sr=8-1&keywords=audioquest+dragonfly

lamerica80
Nov 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
So, right now your Mac Mini is connected directly to your A5s?

If you've got a free USB port, I would suggest going with an asynchronous DAC - the Audioquest Dragonfly is inexpensive, and won many audiophile awards since its introduction. I found it on Amazon.co.uk here for 169.00:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-ANALOGUE-CONVERTER-Electronics/dp/B00882U782/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385038822&sr=8-1&keywords=audioquest+dragonfly

Yep thats how I run them. Thanks for the tip but thats a bit over my budget. :) Im happy with the sound as it is, but if it can get even better with a DAC im not against it, however im not willing to spend too much on it..

ChrisA
Nov 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
This. You can do much better for way less than the powered speaker route. I picked up a cheap-but-impressive Lepai LP-2020A+ with a 3 amp power supply (I recommend at least 2A) and hooked up my left-over Polk RM satellites with 10" Polk powered sub. I then tuned it using SoundFlower / AU Lab for equalization on my source iMac along with a Dayton EMM-6 microphone connected to my rMBP (booted into Win 7) running TrueRTA. The sound is fantastic and blows away setups magnitudes more expensive.

I use something like TrueRTA (its called "Electroacoustics Toolbox") but it runs on a Mac and the same $50 EMM-6 Daytonmeasurement microphone.

I agree about passive speakers being better deals. If you can spend $100 each ($200 for the pair) and then another $100 for an amp you can have a fair quality system for $300 pus the wires and audio interface.

One zero cost improvement are stands under the speakers to being the tweeters up to ear level and get the speakers off the desk top. Next step is something to oil early reflections.

Then buy one of those $50 microphones. A real bargain at $50.

UBS28
Nov 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
+1.

The AMT tweeters in ADAM's stuff is unparalleled anywhere else. Only problem with the A7s is that you really, really need a decent ADDA converter to drive them properly. IMHO, a pair of A7's running through an Apogee Duet 2 would make for one hell of a setup.

-SC

Yeah, the ADAM A7 is quite good with an Apogee. But for home cinema type of speakers, the low-end is lacking in my opinion.

Tsuchiya
Nov 23, 2013, 12:05 PM

Pros:

Cons:

It must vary between individual units, but I just paused my music to see if there was a hiss with my MM-1s. There is a very slight hiss, but I thought it was just my Mini :p

Also I'm not sure if they are audiophile quality but damn they sound good. I find it difficult to listen to stuff in my car now :P

ScottishCaptain
Nov 23, 2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah, the ADAM A7 is quite good with an Apogee. But for home cinema type of speakers, the low-end is lacking in my opinion.

Yeah, I've heard similar opinions from other people.

A friend of mine recently bought a 5.1 A7 setup (we both got a wicked sweet deal on a pair of reasonably recent MC-12HD preamps) and said the exact same thing. He later threw in a Sub7 and I haven't heard anything but praise from him.

I always thought my S2X units were pretty damned good, but it wasn't until I bought a Sub12 that they really started to shine. I think that's just part of ADAM's AMT + single cone speaker configuration, which doesn't change until you get up into the S3X series (AMT + mid and low)- but those units are pretty big for desktop speakers (I couldn't figure out how to fit them on my desk, and my desk takes up two entire room walls).

In any case, IMHO you should have a good subwoofer *anyways*. The Sub7 is reasonably priced (~$700) and definitely well worth the price if you feel the A7s aren't up to the task by themselves (they're still worth getting solely because of the AMT tweeters though).

-SC

ChrisA
Nov 24, 2013, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by UBS28

Maybe but the OP asked for Audiophile desktop speakers

The term implies listening to music, not movie soundtracks and video games. The requirements are different, for music "accurate" reproduction is usually desired. For sound effects like car crashes and machine-guns the big subwoffers and surround sound is better.

"Desktop also, I think implies a two speaker system. Always with audiophile music reproduction systems the only reason you'd ever consider a sub is to reduce the cost. It is always better to simply buy speakers that can reproduce the bass themselves and that is easy to do, many studio monitors can.

These would work well
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HR824mk2/

These Yamaha speakers have a very good reputation. I've not tried them but I've never heard anyone say anything but good things about them. BUT, they have rear facing vents, watch where you place them. They need to be well away from the walls and corners.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS8

And really, these are not bad at all and a lot less expensive
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ResolvSE8/
I have an older version of them on my desk right now. Used as near field monitors the imaging is near perfect. I was just using Logic's new drummer and the dum kits sounds like it is dead center on the screen. I panned it over a bit. Imaging on these speakers i perfect. If I close my eyes I can't locate the speakers. I got them use for way-cheap. Samson is a second tier brand but good quality for the price.

bwhli
Nov 26, 2013, 05:32 PM
The new LSR305 monitors from JBL have been getting rave reviews! I have a pair myself, and they are great.

iPredatory
Jan 6, 2014, 08:24 AM
Hey... get an Audio Engine A2 speakers. The sound in unbelievable for a small speaker like that. It's truly a monster.

http://images.productwiki.com/upload/images/audioengine_2_a2.jpg

Tulani
Jan 6, 2014, 08:43 AM

Pros:

Cons:

i have them too and love them to bits!

macguy360
Jan 6, 2014, 05:27 PM
Buy audioengine A5+, they are by far the best bang for your buck. $399 with the sound of a $1000+ speaker.

Were talking a/b split amplifier meaning direct highs to your silk tweeter with mids to the 5" kevlar woofer. Bowers and wilkins has a similar silk tweeter/kevlar woofer design on their $1499 per shelf speaker. These A5+ come very very close to those $1499 B&W and its only $399 for a pair.

Sound quality is 10x better than bose. Don't even waste your time on bose. They are overpriced.

The A5+ come with 3 year warranty with the best customer service.

I personally think the A5+ also sound better than A2 because the sound profile is more open and the mids and bass is better.

iLog.Genius
Feb 9, 2014, 01:25 AM
I like the KEF X300/A, but I find them to be a touch bright. If you have some money to spend and you want something that's relatively small just for your Mac, you could go Pro-Ject DAC Box paired with a Pro-Ject Stereo Box S and connect small bookshelf speakers like the Castle Knight 1's. They may not look like they're capable due to their size but they sound great. Again, only if you have money to spend.

Soundgun
Feb 9, 2014, 02:33 AM
Check out the Equator D5 http://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/681724-equator-d5.html or CEntrance Masterclass https://centrance.com/products/masterclass/

Bl0ckHe1d
Feb 9, 2014, 06:31 AM
Hey... get an Audio Engine A2 speakers. The sound in unbelievable for a small speaker like that. It's truly a monster.

Image (http://images.productwiki.com/upload/images/audioengine_2_a2.jpg)

I second this, these speakers via an Audioengine DAC is da BOMB...sound quality is out of the world, even for a guy that is hard of hearing :rolleyes:

yensteel
Feb 26, 2014, 01:57 PM
A while ago I dug around some audiophile forums and found a favorite: The Swan M200MK III. They retail for around $429 and are a great value for the money. The company is experienced in high end speakers, with their flagship speakers over $40K and they have a range of good pc speakers starting at $129.

Here's some reviews of it:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/swans2/1.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484397/review-swan-m200mkiii-updated-impressions

The M200MK III are commonly being compared to Audioengine A5s and are worth looking into. They're more oriented for audiophile music listening than the A5s. Plus, they look great.

mfram
Feb 26, 2014, 05:17 PM
I recently upgraded the sound system for my computer system with the Focal Little Bird 2.1 Pack. They are pricey, but have wonderful mid- and high-range reproduction. The bass isn't out of this world, but sounds very clean for music.

I wanted something where the primary speakers weren't very large but still had nice sound. This system definitely fits the bill. The backend amp contains a couple analog inputs, digital, and (proprietary) wireless inputs. That amp is where the subwoofer is located. I put it on the edge of my desk behind the monitor and plugged my PC in via digital input.

The 2.1 system is designed with music in mind and has no provision for surround sound. Even these smallest speakers could fill a medium sized room with sound. The Focal name probably adds some to the price, but the sound is definitely worth it.

I ordered mine from Crutchfield and got free Focal headphones out of the deal!

JTMusicVA
Mar 27, 2014, 10:50 AM
... are the Prodipe POD3 powered desktop speakers. (<$200) You can sit your iPod in the top, or connect RCA and 1/8' stereo cables....
Has a subwoofer output, if needed, but these things DO put out some pretty decent bass themselves.
Comes with a nice full-control remote.
***One thing you must do with these affordable speakers is bring up the treble control a few notches. Otherwise, the treble in these is a little subdued, just bring it up in the remote and the silk-dome tweeters will breathe some nice air...

Marty62
Apr 1, 2014, 08:25 AM
My little desktop "portable" system is a pair of Bose computer music monitors
like these :
http://www.amazon.de/Bose-Computer-MusicMonitor-Lautsprecher-silbermetallic/dp/B00FA1W8ZO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Quite small but have a big sound, acceptable for working out of the studio.

I wouldn't "mix" on 'em though !

M.

JTMusicVA
Apr 1, 2014, 07:36 PM
I had recommended the Prodipe POD3 as a quite affordable "audiophile" desktop speaker....
Reading through this thread, I saw some recommendations for the AudioEngine A2. I also own these A2 speakers, and I'm not all that impressed with the sound, and the POD3 blows it out of the water, take my word for it. Plus, the POD3 gives all kinds of options whereas the A2 doesn't give you anything more than 2 inputs and a volume control....
If you're seriously considering the A2, move to the Prodipe POD3 instead - I promise you'll be happier.....

Tribbs
Apr 13, 2014, 10:23 PM
Don't overlook DIY speaker kits. You can "assemble" a kit for a fraction of the cost of some high-end boutique factory speakers.

There are really only a few high-end speaker driver manufacturers in the world and those drivers are employed in some surprisingly uber priced exotic wood speaker cabinets.

My friends and I have been blown away by a couple of DIY speaker kits I "assembled" for myself as main speakers. For smaller computer speakers consider these for example:

www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/seas-loki-mkii-coaxial-kit-with-cabinet-each/
www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/fostex-p1000e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/