PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Older iMac/PowerBook/iBook

im_to_hyper
Sep 14, 2005, 12:15 PM
I just got a request from a resident doctor at the local clinic (AKA someone just out of med school with a low paying job and deeply in debt).

Here is part of an e-mail he sent me, which I thought I would post here. He wants me to find him a cheap Mac, but I need the help of others!

I am looking for a powerbook or iMac. If it can run OS 10 (any version), thatíll be great. Otherwise, even OS 9 will do. It should be a PowerPC at least. Hopefully, it can be networked, preferably wirelessly (itíll have to share my home internet cable modem connection with my Dell laptop). More memory the better. Disk space: about 3 GB will do fine. Hopefully, itíll have a CD-ROM or DVD drive so that I can load and run software. Now the really hard part: my budget is $ 300. I might go up a little, but not by much.

Iíd appreciate your help. The research is worthwhile. I am studying the relationships between antibiotic-resistant pathogenic bacteria. The research will help in understanding how these bugs are related to each other and help to identify targets common to more of them that we can use in treating patients with bad infections. Worthy cause, donít you think?

Therefore, just post what you've got! Even if it is some old POS running 10.2 in XPostFacto, let me know! Thanks!

Eric

stevep
Sep 14, 2005, 03:01 PM
For that sort of money you should be able to get a slot-loading iMac easily - say around 450mHz model. You can stick a load of memory in it and run OS X quite happily, along with MS Office etc.
Have a quick look at eBay to get an idea of what these machines are fetching.
Bonus point - the iMacs (esp the later models) are still quite good looking machines, if you have to have a computer on display in a doctors surgery.

im_to_hyper
Sep 14, 2005, 03:37 PM
For that sort of money you should be able to get a slot-loading iMac easily - say around 450mHz model. You can stick a load of memory in it and run OS X quite happily, along with MS Office etc.
Have a quick look at eBay to get an idea of what these machines are fetching.
Bonus point - the iMacs (esp the later models) are still quite good looking machines, if you have to have a computer on display in a doctors surgery.

Well, it will be used at his house for this research. I had already mentioned the iMacs, but was somewhat hoping that it would come from a source much more trustworthy than Ebay.

stevep
Sep 14, 2005, 04:01 PM
I'm with you on the eBay thing - a bit risky. But it gives you an idea of price, and you can then look locally - maybe a local Mac User Group???

reberto
Sep 14, 2005, 09:39 PM
Will the iMac in smy sig do? I don't use it much, it now sits in my closet.

mbl42
Sep 14, 2005, 10:17 PM
Powerbook 165c? :p

im_to_hyper
Sep 15, 2005, 12:22 PM
Maybe I will take the iMac in your sig... how much would you want, shipped, for it?

LimeiBook86
Sep 15, 2005, 02:53 PM
Actually if you look on eBay (yeah I know not the best option) you can find a clamshell iBook for around $300. Just make sure you get either the Special Edtion FireWire ones, or the models just before that so you can add more RAM to it. They have 802.11b via AirPort too so that's good, and they usually come with 10gb hard drives. They range from 300-466mhz, the Special Edition Graphite and Lime are the most powerful and can even run Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger". :D

Also http://www.macofalltrades.com has some nice laptop deals sometimes, and http://www.smalldog.com has some nice prices on Apple laptops too. Good luck!

reberto
Sep 15, 2005, 05:45 PM
Maybe I will take the iMac in your sig... how much would you want, shipped, for it?

I will do $85. It has a CoolMac KB and a "puck" mouse.

Oasis87
Sep 19, 2005, 10:52 AM
I might want to buy that? how much after shipping to ottawa Canada?

ReanimationLP
Sep 19, 2005, 11:15 AM
I've seen iMac Slot Load Indigos on eBay for 205 dollars shipped.

Has 500 MHz, and varies between a DVD or CD-RW drive, 20-60 GB of HD, and 256- 640 MB of RAM

http://stores.ebay.com/Re-Source-Partners_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm