PDA

View Full Version : eMac worries...

graydecember
Nov 26, 2002, 09:19 PM
A friend of mine just wrote me and told me she ordered an eMac today- and of course she's excited, she's ditching the pc she's had for years.

So is she in big trouble? Is the eMac a piece of junk that is going to give serious problems (display) and dissapoint her with how slow it is?

Should I tell her to cancel the order?!

Or is the eMac just fine for her needs (#1, internet, #2 desktop/office stuff), and probably won't give her trouble?

medea
Nov 26, 2002, 09:30 PM
though some people have reported issues with the eMac (mainly display issues) most likely hers will be fine because its not all of them, the eMac is a very capable machine and will suit her needs just dandy. dont have her cancel it, let her bask in the glory of os x.

raydz
Nov 27, 2002, 08:00 AM
I've had my eMac for 2 months now....... Works great! I would recommend Applecare, just in case

DakotaGuy
Nov 27, 2002, 08:18 AM
The eMac is a good choice, she will like it. I think most issues with it have been resolved by now. The first ones that were made experienced most of the problems.

Tommy!
Nov 27, 2002, 08:25 AM
make sure she upgrades the ram :)

iGav
Nov 27, 2002, 08:27 AM
Well my brother bought an eMac almost 2 weeks ago, and it blew up within 24 hours of using it!! We're still waiting for the replacement to be sent out!! :rolleyes: :mad:

That said, the brief period it was working it was much the zippy little thing!! I was most impressed!! The eMac will be more than enough for her needs......... It really isn't slow in everyday use!!

I'm just putting the above episode down to being unlucky and having to deal with a crap reseller!!

Thirteenva
Nov 27, 2002, 08:29 AM
i believe only the early ones had screen issues. It should be resolved now.

And as far as speed...It should be just fine. With 32mb of vram it will use quartz extreme. And the 700mhz processor while not the fastest, is no slouch. I do nothing but graphics and web development on my 500mhz tibook and it runs fine(and mine doesnt take advantage of QE), so if she's just using it for day to day tasks, she'll be more than happy with it.:D

graydecember
Nov 27, 2002, 02:09 PM
I'll just keep it to myself, then, that I was worried. Because, after all, it was mostly my advice to get a mac in the first place. We have spoken in months, then out of the blue she says she's getting one.... I would have recommended getting an older imac SE off ebay or something (course, no 17" screen , tho)

backspinner
Nov 27, 2002, 02:40 PM
I own an eMac (and a TiBook and a Classic iMac) and I can say that it's a good computer. Crisp and light screen, faster than my Powerbook 550 and it's kids safe...

But it has 640 MB ram, which is important for smooth OS X.