Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I just opened my Elago S5 bumper for the iPhone 5. Packaging looks like the same packet that Elago uses for all their cases. I don't have a detailed review at the moment, but here's some highlights and pictures of the case. Feel free to ask any questions.

-First of all, it looks VERY similar to the Photive and Monoprice bumpers with the big opening on the bottom and the small buttons.
-The first thing I noticed was the rubber. The rubber is extremely sturdy, and I don't think it will ever stretch.
-The bottom, as previously mentioned, is one big opening. It gives if you try to pull it down, but it's not bad.
-The buttons are small, but they are responsive. About the same amount of force I had to use to press them on my Belkin Grip Candy.
-There is an elago logo on the left side and a "Designed by elago in California Made in China" on the right. I believe these can come off, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?
-The inside is contoured very well to the phone. The fit is excellent.
-The bumper will NOT interfere with ANY screen protector, but the back will probably have trouble with skins and shields. I just applied a wet-apply XtremeGuard shield and waiting for it to dry to try the bumper.

Overall, the quality is splendid. My only gripe is the opening on the bottom. Pics will be up momentarily.

Attachments

• image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 510
  • image-3.jpeg
    image-3.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 409
  • image-4.jpeg
    image-4.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Here's some with the phone in.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 369
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 988
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
  • IMG_8486.jpg
    IMG_8486.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 339

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Interesting, the buttons shown on the Elago site for the case look better than the real life version.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
DAMN! It looks like on the website that the bottom as individual cutouts not one big opening. Shooot.

Yeah. Very sad. Now I'm contemplating going just a full body skin. I don't have AppleCare+, so I really have to think this through.

I'm using my ebay bumper and a XtremeGuard back protector, which by the way is cut VERY precise. It was my first time doing a wet install, and it's a lot easier than dry install. Anyways, this combo should hold me over until my next move.

I'm really surprised that a bumper isn't much thinner than using my Belkin Grip Candy. I'd say only half a mm thinner comparing the raised lip of both phones laying face down.

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah. Very sad. Now I'm contemplating going just a full body skin. I don't have AppleCare+, so I really have to think this through.

I'm using my ebay bumper and a XtremeGuard back protector, which by the way is cut VERY precise. It was my first time doing a wet install, and it's a lot easier than dry install. Anyways, this combo should hold me over until my next move.

I'm really surprised that a bumper isn't much thinner than using my Belkin Grip Candy. I'd say only half a mm thinner comparing the raised lip of both phones laying face down.

Dang, that might be a good way to go, just gotta take real good care of that thing. I'm using the Noot Bumper Case (basically the Noot T5 but with a frosted back) and the Spigen Ultra Crystal screen protector until I can see what my eBay bumper is going to look like. I'm super anxious to see if mine will be like yours or like that other guys (the AWFUL one). Do you not like that eBay one enough to keep it on and use it?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Dang, that might be a good way to go, just gotta take real good care of that thing. I'm using the Noot Bumper Case (basically the Noot T5 but with a frosted back) and the Spigen Ultra Crystal screen protector until I can see what my eBay bumper is going to look like. I'm super anxious to see if mine will be like yours or like that other guys (the AWFUL one). Do you not like that eBay one enough to keep it on and use it?

Actually, I really like the bumper. It's not perfect, though. There's a very small movement when I press the left side. The plastic isn't great quality, like there's visual imperfections in the plastic. It's not 100% "visually" smooth. And the lock button wiggles a lot. It functions perfectly fine, but I'm a perfectionist and want everything to be near perfect.

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Actually, I really like the bumper. It's not perfect, though. There's a very small movement when I press the left side. The plastic isn't great quality, like there's visual imperfections in the plastic. It's not 100% "visually" smooth. And the lock button wiggles a lot. It functions perfectly fine, but I'm a perfectionist and want everything to be near perfect.

ohh ok I smell what you're stepping in. I'm excited either way then haha What do you think you are going to do as far as a case or bumper or skins or combination there of the three?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
ohh ok I smell what you're stepping in. I'm excited either way then haha What do you think you are going to do as far as a case or bumper or skins or combination there of the three?

Probably keep my current combo until I decide on when to go to a skin. eBay bumper and front and back screen protectors.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah that looks absolutely identical to my photive hybrid bumper.

Do you use a back screen protector? I need one that fits this case.

----------

What was it doing with the back skin?

Just lifting the back skin at certain places. I got the bumper onto to the phone without lifting the back skin, but the skin is so thick and the bumper has a good lip on the back, so the bumper didn't seat properly. I need to find a skin that fits, because I'd rather use the elago bumper than my ebay one because of build quality.

trevorplease

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
sorry to be bumping an old thread, but richard could it be your elago case is a fake?

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Bumper-Case-iPhone-White/dp/B00B1P6I40/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

from amazon: i noticed two differences
the stock picture shows that the elago emblem looks to be engraved not only printed on.

and also they claim to be made in korea, not china.

and the ones on amazon all say they have separate cut outs for the bottom lightning port.

any input?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
sorry to be bumping an old thread, but richard could it be your elago case is a fake?

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Bumper-Case-iPhone-White/dp/B00B1P6I40/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

from amazon: i noticed two differences
the stock picture shows that the elago emblem looks to be engraved not only printed on.

and also they claim to be made in korea, not china.

and the ones on amazon all say they have separate cut outs for the bottom lightning port.

any input?

That is elago's 2nd version. I bought the first one. I also bought the 2nd version, but I didn't like it either. It was definitely an improvement over the 1st version.

trevorplease

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
That is elago's 2nd version. I bought the first one. I also bought the 2nd version, but I didn't like it either. It was definitely an improvement over the 1st version.

ahh i see. could you write a mini review on this one? after doing a little research, i think this is the one that closest fits my bill.

I'm going for bodyguardz pure screen protector + ultratough wet install screen protector for the back.

And I'm looking for a quality bumper to protect the sides that won't raise the screen protectors. i don't like the bumpers with a single cut out on the bottom either. which seems to be a lot of the cheaper ones available.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
ahh i see. could you write a mini review on this one? after doing a little research, i think this is the one that closest fits my bill.

I'm going for bodyguardz pure screen protector + ultratough wet install screen protector for the back.

And I'm looking for a quality bumper to protect the sides that won't raise the screen protectors. i don't like the bumpers with a single cut out on the bottom either. which seems to be a lot of the cheaper ones available.

It definitely won't fit a glass screen protector or maybe even a back one. The lip on the elago v2 bumper is a tacky rubber instead of TPU, and it overlaps the front glass too much.

You won't really find an "Apple bumper-like" bumper that fits your needs. I'd suggest the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim if you want a quality bumper that fits your screen protector and back protector needs.

trevorplease

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
It definitely won't fit a glass screen protector or maybe even a back one. The lip on the elago v2 bumper is a tacky rubber instead of TPU, and it overlaps the front glass too much.

You won't really find an "Apple bumper-like" bumper that fits your needs. I'd suggest the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim if you want a quality bumper that fits your screen protector and back protector needs.

The lips on the bumper is that bad? I'm confused with the spigen products. There are so many on the product page that I just give up trying to see the difference between them.

Did you by any chance have/try the pinlo bladedge? I couldn't find YouTube reviews or anything really on it.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
The lips on the bumper is that bad? I'm confused with the spigen products. There are so many on the product page that I just give up trying to see the difference between them.

Did you by any chance have/try the pinlo bladedge? I couldn't find YouTube reviews or anything really on it.

The lip overlapped enough that it wouldn't work with most screen protectors, unfortunately. I think I had on a glass screen protector at the time. I can't remember. Could have been a plastic one. Otherwise, it was a good case. The lips were the only downsides.

I do not have the pinlo bladedge, nor have I seen anything about it on this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.