PDA

View Full Version : Inherited PowerMac G5 - Should I keep it or sell it?

prvt.donut
Nov 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
Hi PPC aficionados,

I always wanted a G5 PowerMac, neigh coveted the G5 PowerMacs.

So, now I have one (the office threw it out), and I'm not sure if I should keep it!:eek::(

Specs wise:
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
GPU Model: GeForce 6600LE
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Monitor: Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch

I know 1.5GB ram is not much nowadays, but it has a clean install of Tiger and the OS feels nice and snappy (although web-pages seem to load pretty slowly).

Can it be of any use in this x64 chipset world we live in?

I was thinking I could drop a few HDD's in it and using it as a media Library. Although if I sell it I could get a Time Capsule with the money and server the same purpose. :cool:

California
Nov 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hi PPC aficionados,

So, now I have one (the office threw it out), and I'm not sure if I should keep it!:eek::(

Specs wise:

I know 1.5GB ram is not much nowadays, but it has a clean install of Tiger and the OS feels nice and snappy (although web-pages seem to load pretty slowly).

I was thinking I could drop a few HDD's in it and using it as a media Library. Although if I sell it I could get a Time Capsule with the money and server the same purpose. :cool:

You've got a better computer than you think, tho crippled a little by the LE video card. Late 2005 final revision PMG5 Dual Core 2.0.

16 gigs of ram
2 TB HD
Quadro video card.

You'd be happier than you think with it.

prvt.donut
Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hahaha!

Yes. the upgrades!

I was looking at the FX4500 cards on ebay they seem to be going for around $200USD.

Then upgrading the RAM looks to be about $55USD for 2x2GB sticks, so around $220 to get the 16GB.

Also doesn't have the Bluetooth airport card, so looking at another $70USD for that.

Then drop in a 256GB SSD for the OS and a few 2TB drives for data! :D

One question, can the FX4500 playback 1080p?

One BIG issue with keeping this is the fact that I can't write X-Code iOS apps on the PPC platform...

ChrisMan287
Nov 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
Just make sure you keep that thing cool.

MisterKeeks
Nov 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
I was looking at the FX4500 cards on ebay they seem to be going for around $200USD.

Not always- this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Quadro-Fx4500-for-Mac-G5-Tower-512MB-Ram-Fx-4500-OEM-Nvidia-7800-Dual-Quad-/121019981805?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1c2d5a5fed) is only $150 (only... :o), and if you are able to flash a PC card to a Mac, I believe this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/512MB-QUADRO-FX4500-GDDR3-DUAL-DVI-PCI-EXPRESS-OEM-VCQFX4500-PCIE-PB-/300814541572?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4609f1a304)should be flashable, but I am not at all certain. I don't know much more about it, though. Perhaps there is someone who has actually flashed the Quadro could comment on this.

prvt.donut
Nov 20, 2012, 10:33 PM
Can anyone report on if that card can handle 1080p?

Would be cool to hook up to my TV and use it as the media centre/desktop workstation.

Living in Tokyo though, no space for a desk to put it on!:eek: Sure I can work something out.

PowerPCMacMan
Nov 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
In answer to the OP's question, Yes. Both the 7800GT(which I have) and the FX4000 are more than capable of playing back 1080p with no problems. In fact, I was able to play back even 4096p in some cases.

So, yes you are fine with either of those fine cards. The 6600 also plays back 720p and 1080p just fine also. The muscle of the Quad is what allows it to perform this incredible power. Sometimes I am amazed myself on the power this machine has.

Its more than capable of today's software. Shame Apple did not see it that way. Snow Leopard would have been a fine addition to this machine's multi-core capabilities, but alas... Apple does what Apple does best - forces the user into obsolescence.

prvt.donut
Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
Really? The 6600 can handle the 1080?

Maybe I will just buy 4x2GB RAM sticks for it.

I will have to test it out for myself. The Mac is living at my office at the moment until I can work out where it can live at home.

I just realized the G5 only has 2 HDD bays, I am used to working on the Mac Pros in the office and thought there were 4.

Maybe it would be best to put in 2x 2TB drives in RAID 1 for parity.

If I wanted to get wifi and Bluetooth, is it best to get the apple card?
Or get aftermarket devices?

Finally, should I upgrade to Leopard? Or leave if on Tiger?

Sorry for all the questions!

Nameci
Nov 20, 2012, 11:38 PM
For your reference;

I have a quad G5 late 2005 2.5GHz.

I have 16 GB of RAM on it.

I have an SSD as boot drive and 1 terabyte of HDD for data.

I have Quadro FX4500 as my gfx card.

I also have an apple cinema display 23" same as you.

I fitted it with original apple extreme card.

For external storage, I have a 1 terabyte for back up and time machine connected to an eSATA PCIe card on my G5. Accessing my external is faster than accessing my data disk.

My job entails working in illustrator and photoshop as well as doing CAD work.

And I will still have to find a thing that could choke my G5.

If I were you I would keep and slowly kit it. It would last you for at least another 5 years.

Leopard all the way.

For graphics card, get the ATI x1900. It is faster if not better than QFX4500. The 4500 is a work station card, special functions can only be utilized if you are doing CAD work or some video stuff. The ATI is a much faster card than QFX afaik.

wobegong
Nov 21, 2012, 03:21 AM
For graphics card, get the ATI x1900. It is faster if not better than QFX4500. The 4500 is a work station card, special functions can only be utilized if you are doing CAD work or some video stuff. The ATI is a much faster card than QFX afaik.

You can also overclock an ATI card on a Mac (using ATIccelerator) which you can't do with nVidia.

VanneDC
Nov 21, 2012, 04:57 AM
Keep the G5 : D you will love it ; p

prvt.donut
Nov 21, 2012, 04:58 AM
You can also overclock an ATI card on a Mac (using ATIccelerator) which you can't do with nVidia.

Ok, so there are a few options.

I wouldn't be gaming on it, as I said, smooth reliable video playback, plus it would be nice to have a system to video edit on (asuming that it can handle the 1080 video for editing.

If I was using Final Cut Pro on it and hooking it up to the TV for video and Hulu video playback, which would make me most happy (probably both are overkill though for what I would be doing).

prvt.donut
Nov 21, 2012, 05:31 AM
Not always- this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Quadro-Fx4500-for-Mac-G5-Tower-512MB-Ram-Fx-4500-OEM-Nvidia-7800-Dual-Quad-/121019981805?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1c2d5a5fed) is only $150 (only... :o), and if you are able to flash a PC card to a Mac, I believe this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/512MB-QUADRO-FX4500-GDDR3-DUAL-DVI-PCI-EXPRESS-OEM-VCQFX4500-PCIE-PB-/300814541572?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4609f1a304)should be flashable, but I am not at all certain. I don't know much more about it, though. Perhaps there is someone who has actually flashed the Quadro could comment on this.

You think I can flash that card? If so, will bid on it!!:)

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
Get a 120GB SSD as your boot drive, a flashed ATI FireGL X3 graphics card, 4GB memory, and a 5-port USB 2.0 port PCI card and you'll be happy.

Nameci
Nov 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
You think I can flash that card? If so, will bid on it!!:)

This is much cheaper and much better, unless you will be doing serious 3D and CAD work on the G5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-X1900-GT-512MB-DVI-DVI-for-Power-Mac-G5-/370672959721?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item564dd480e9

prvt.donut
Nov 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
This is much cheaper and much better, unless you will be doing serious 3D and CAD work on the G5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-X1900-GT-512MB-DVI-DVI-for-Power-Mac-G5-/370672959721?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item564dd480e9

Hold on, the seller says it has 512MB of RAM! Didn't think they made the G5 GT version with 512!!!

Thanks Nameci, will buy that unless I win the dirt cheap bid on the PC FX4500 card that would need flashing. Doubt I will win it though!!

I think for now I might get 4GB of RAM too. Putting little bits in each month should be a nice and cheap way to get the specs up! Although maybe getting the Hard drives would be the most effective upgrades to start with so that I can get my OS and data drives setup right.

MisterKeeks
Nov 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
the Mac elite (http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2) seems to have the roms needed to flash the card. I just wish that someone here would confirm that it is flashable. I am not sure why it wouldn't work, but sometimes things can be picky. Also, have you ever flashed a card before? It will require a machine that can boot dos.

VanneDC
Nov 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
The problem with confirming that that specific card is flash able is not possible, as thee are a couple of different versions of that card floating about. Possibly Sheep666 may be able to identify if the card is flashable.

----------

And as Nameci said, that gt card is much cheaper and you don't have to stuff around with it.

jbarley
Nov 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
If I wanted to get wifi and Bluetooth, is it best to get the apple card?
Or get aftermarket devices?
I picked up a BT USB dongle on Ebay for about nine dollars, plugged it in and bingo!
Tiny little thing works like a charm.

MisterKeeks
Nov 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
Yes, if I remember correctly, it was due to the sizes of the rom chip on the card, and some cards having to small a size to flash the new rom onto it.

ChrisMan287
Nov 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
the Mac elite (http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2) seems to have the roms needed to flash the card. I just wish that someone here would confirm that it is flashable. I am not sure why it wouldn't work, but sometimes things can be picky. Also, have you ever flashed a card before? It will require a machine that can boot dos.

Just get the X1900 GT.

MisterKeeks
Nov 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
Just get the X1900 GT.

Yeah, that seems like the best option at this point.

thorns
Nov 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
1. The graphics card has no noticeable influence on 1080p playback. The 2.0 GHz G5 can play 1080p MKV rips (15MBit/sec) since VLC 2.0 (and CorePlayer, but this software isn't free and completely unsupported by now).
2. The X1900 is the best value for money card for the late 2005 G5. I have successfully flashed many cards from 7800GT to 7800GTXs and various X1900. I can confirm that the x1900xt 512MB and X1950XT 256MB can be flashed to the G5 version. I always wanted to test the x1950pro since there's an abundance of them in Europe, but didn't manage to get ahold of one by now.
3. For Airport/BT support, I used a 3$ BT dongle and a mini-pcie card with wifi antennas, popped in a standard apple broadcom card and have full airport support since then. cost me about 40$, way cheaper than buying the standoff card and the combo card.

prvt.donut
Nov 21, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

I will see how well it performs with the base card it has, on my way to the office now, so will have a little play with it.

I think I will get a Bluetooth dongle. I liked the idea of having the original card because it has a mounting bracket and the antennas inside waiting for it. Not sure if the price can justify that idealism though.

I think I will order up some RAM today off eBay for it, maybe just 2x2GB this month and progressively work my way up. I will probably be fine at 8GB, unless I want to do something crazy with it.

So you were saying the GPU will have no effect on the video performance. How about for HD video editing? I assume I can get an older copy of final cut or even iMovie and edit my iphone and camera videos on it.

prvt.donut
Nov 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
I tried a 1080p movie i recorded on my iPhone and it was very jumpy.:(

Only 1.5GB Ram might be a cause of that. but I don't want to throw money at it if it won't be able to fulfill my basic requirements as a media machine.

What do you think? This is a dual CPU 2GHz Late 2005 G5. Should I be able to playback my video smoothly?

If i can edit,but can't playback the content, it's not much use.

I don't mind dropping $150 for a x1900 and 4GB ram. just need to be sure it'll do the job.

I'm sure lots of other people here have the same setup, so can you please let me know?

Thanks.

edit;

looking on Low End Mac, it seems this should be able to playback the video smoothly.http://lowendmac.com/schrader/11js/maximize-power-mac-g5.html

maybe i need to get leopard on here

Nameci
Nov 21, 2012, 09:55 PM
1. The graphics card has no noticeable influence on 1080p playback. The 2.0 GHz G5 can play 1080p MKV rips (15MBit/sec) since VLC 2.0 (and CorePlayer, but this software isn't free and completely unsupported by now).
2. The X1900 is the best value for money card for the late 2005 G5. I have successfully flashed many cards from 7800GT to 7800GTXs and various X1900. I can confirm that the x1900xt 512MB and X1950XT 256MB can be flashed to the G5 version. I always wanted to test the x1950pro since there's an abundance of them in Europe, but didn't manage to get ahold of one by now.
3. For Airport/BT support, I used a 3$ BT dongle and a mini-pcie card with wifi antennas, popped in a standard apple broadcom card and have full airport support since then. cost me about 40$, way cheaper than buying the standoff card and the combo card.

The ATI X1900XTX is a 512MB gfx card, I thought that the one that is compatible is the 256 because there is no existing 512MB ROM?

VanneDC
Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
Not only that, but I thought the only 1950 that flashed was the gainward golden sample card...

prvt.donut
Nov 22, 2012, 12:45 AM
The ATI X1900XTX is a 512MB gfx card, I thought that the one that is compatible is the 256 because there is no existing 512MB ROM?

Hi Nameci,

I have seen you have written much about the PowerMac G5's what with owning one yourself.

How does yours perform with the 1080 video?

I downloaded some sample MOV files from the Apple trailers site and they all played smoothly:), so that was good, but the iPhone video, pretty choppy.:mad:

Also, I tested out a Hulu video 480p and in the small window and it played nice, but when full screen, it got the slightest hint of chop, which will get annoying when actually trying to watch something.

Does this sound normal?

I am thinking that software is to blame there, so maybe I should use a different browser or something.

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 22, 2012, 03:55 AM
I picked up a BT USB dongle on Ebay for about nine dollars, plugged it in and bingo!
Tiny little thing works like a charm.
Same here, a tiny 2cm USB 2 BT card works perfectly. "Cambridge Silicon Radio" it gets reported as. Remember that it will work much faster if it's outside of the metal G5 case.

1. The graphics card has no noticeable influence on 1080p playback.
True - I upgraded from a 128MB Radeon 9600 XT to an X800 XTX 256MB and there was NO difference.

prvt.donut
Nov 22, 2012, 04:23 AM
Well, I got a x1900xt 512MB from a friend who juat upgraded. But need to flash it as it was from a Mac Pro. He said we can flash it on his Mac Pro! Nice!

I have a SSD drive that I was thinking of testing out in it too.

Will I be better off installing Leopard? Or sticking with Tiger?

It's kinda sad to think that even after putting in this beast of a card, Hulu at 420p won't playback really smoothly on full screen.

Do you think the 1.5GB RAM is limiting it?

thorns
Nov 22, 2012, 05:04 AM
I am not sure if you can actually flash a PCIe card in a Mac Pro. Do you even have the correct ROM file?

Anything based on flash is relatively slow on a G5. The last available flash version is 10.2, it won't be updated in the future.

RAM should not be the limiting factor, you can check the page outs in system monitor to see if you run out of memory.

@flashing X1900s: RAM size doesn't matter, this and clock rates/chip characteristics (pipelines/vertex units etc) are set by the BIOS/driver combination. This is why you cannot overclock the X1900GT (it has fewer pipelines and clock rates than both the X1900XT and X1950XT). The good thing about the X1900GT ROM is that it fits on any card with the correct chipset, since it is just 64KB.

prvt.donut
Nov 22, 2012, 07:00 AM
I am not sure if you can actually flash a PCIe card in a Mac Pro. Do you even have the correct ROM file?

@flashing X1900s: RAM size doesn't matter, this and clock rates/chip characteristics (pipelines/vertex units etc) are set by the BIOS/driver combination. This is why you cannot overclock the X1900GT (it has fewer pipelines and clock rates than both the X1900XT and X1950XT). The good thing about the X1900GT ROM is that it fits on any card with the correct chipset, since it is just 64KB.

I don't have the ROM, trying to research it and find a ROM.

I don't even know if this is would work because I have never seen a G5 flashed x1900XT with 512MB RAM although the one linked on ebay is 512 and claims to be for the G5.

You seem to suggest I can use the normal 256MB ROM. Can you confirm that?

That would make life easy if I can just use that ROM. I can't imagine why a Mac Pro GPU wouldn't be as flash-able as a PC GPU. The hardware is the same, just that the Mac Pro GPU has an EFI section to the ROM.

Can anyone please confirm the situation? the card is free, but I don't want to waste it, even though it will get binned if I don't take it.:eek:

VanneDC
Nov 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
You cannot flash a 512mb card with a 256mb rom

prvt.donut
Nov 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
You cannot flash a 512mb card with a 256mb rom

Ok, so is Thorns spouting BS then? Because I need to know if I can flash this card or not.

Nameci
Nov 22, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hi Nameci,

I have seen you have written much about the PowerMac G5's what with owning one yourself.

How does yours perform with the 1080 video?

I downloaded some sample MOV files from the Apple trailers site and they all played smoothly:), so that was good, but the iPhone video, pretty choppy.:mad:

Also, I tested out a Hulu video 480p and in the small window and it played nice, but when full screen, it got the slightest hint of chop, which will get annoying when actually trying to watch something.

Does this sound normal?

I am thinking that software is to blame there, so maybe I should use a different browser or something.

Playing 1080p on a G5 depends on how the movie was encoded. I would play HD movies both from outside sources, ripped and from iTunes and the G5 would play it with ease.

With hulu, I have no complaints. I am using hulu desktop, since they use flash, playing it on full screen would tax the cpu and would render it a little bit choppy.

thorns
Nov 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
I currently have a flashed X1900XT 512M running in my G5 without problems. I can't think of a way to prove it, so just take my word. If you give me your email I will give you the X1900GT G5 ROM. Are you going to use Zeus to flash the X1900? I am not sure if this tool supports PPC ROMs.. Remember that you will need to get the extra power cable for the X1900 (It's actually the same as in the Mac Pro).

Colpeas
Nov 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
I currently have a flashed X1900XT 512M running in my G5 without problems. I can't think of a way to prove it, so just take my word.

A screenshot of system profiler?

thorns
Nov 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
A screenshot of system profiler?

It actually shows as a X1900 XT with 256MB. Should be 128MB (that's a common error). I am not sure if I have 256MB or in fact 512MB in use (if so, the more, the merrier). Is there a tool which can tell how much graphics RAM is used? There's one for Windows iirc...

Edit: Okay, I checked with this tool: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15566/ati-nvidia-get-vram and only 256MB seem to be accessible.

seveej
Nov 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hi PPC aficionados,

Yeah, that's the Dual Core 2.0, last generation of the PPC era.

Tell you what, memory and GPU are easy to upgrade later on, so if I was you, I'd get an SSD (just big enough for your system - 120 GB should do), install the OS on that, and start using the computer.

That way you can ascertain what you really need, and if your requirements outstrip the CPU, you can get 80% of your investment back when you sell the SSD.

Depending on what you may want to use the machine for, I'd guess that 2005-models of video cards will meet your needs pretty nicely (I had a 2,3 DP once upon a time and the Radeon 9600 was quite sufficient for my needs).

RGDS,
Pekka

Colpeas
Nov 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
It actually shows as a X1900 XT with 256MB. Should be 128MB (that's a common error). I am not sure if I have 256MB or in fact 512MB in use (if so, the more, the merrier). Is there a tool which can tell how much graphics RAM is used? There's one for Windows iirc...

Edit: Okay, I checked with this tool: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15566/ati-nvidia-get-vram and only 256MB seem to be accessible.

So there is no point in getting a 512MB X1900XT instead of 256MB X1900G5, correct? I see...

thorns
Nov 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
Well, the X1900XT 512MB is a pretty common card, so in general it is pretty cheap (like the X1950XT) at around 15-20 Euro. The original X1900GT has a loud one slot cooler, instead of a virtually silent dual slot cooler of the XT versions. So, if you don't want to spend a fortune on an original G5 X1900GT you can just get one of the XT versions and flash it, given you can get your hands on a PCI-Express PC.

prvt.donut
Nov 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
I currently have a flashed X1900XT 512M running in my G5 without problems. I can't think of a way to prove it, so just take my word. If you give me your email I will give you the X1900GT G5 ROM. Are you going to use Zeus to flash the X1900? I am not sure if this tool supports PPC ROMs.. Remember that you will need to get the extra power cable for the X1900 (It's actually the same as in the Mac Pro).

The card has a sticker on the bottom side of the card saying x1900xt 512mb.

Could you send me the ROM? The Mac Elite doesn't seem to have the x1900gt rom! This seems a common card to flash so I am surprised it isn't listed.

VanneDC
Nov 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
It's not listed as the guy / partners thereoff who wrote that rom is still actively selling the gt card.

Thorns, have you confirmed you actually have the x1900xt 512mb card? And it's sporting the 256mb rom? If that's the case then that is amazing.. I can't remember if my g5 showed the gt card as an xt or gt, at any case it is 256mb. (Looking at the card now)

thorns
Nov 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
Yes, VanneDC, I had a look at the card yesterday. The sticker says X1900XT 512MB! However, it doesn't matter since there are still only 256MB accessible. The ROM works perfectly, no sleep issues (however, some quirks in connection to my Sonnet SATA controller..). I guess the Device ID isn't changed by the BIOS, so it shows as a X1900 XT (0x7244) if it was one before.

prvt.donut
Nov 23, 2012, 08:03 AM
Hi Guys. I have been playing with the options, thought about getting a Dremel and Hackintoshing it up, but I just can't bear to destroy the beautiful design of the G5. Even the very best G5 mods end up looking like hack jobs on some level, either internally or externally.

I even posted it up on the local Craigslist and so far the best offer I have gotten is $100!!!

So best option is to keep it and upgrade it as best I can. I have a 260GB SSD spare that I hadn't used for a different computer. So will install leopard to that, and then buy a fistful of RAM and flash the x1900 GPU and have fun with it!!!

Colpeas
Nov 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
I have a question about flashing FX4500

I've been browsing eBay recently, and I came across this quadro FX4500 (presumably a PC version, but not completely sure, since both versions look the same). If it's a PC version, is it flashable? I wouldn't like to paperweight it, nor waste money in vain if it's not eligible to be flashed to PPC ROM.
On the other hand, if it is, it's a bargain, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160924791109&fromMakeTrack=true

Thanks for your advices.

thorns
Nov 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
If you are based in Czech Republic, why bother with shipping & customs from the US? Bidding for the Quadro hasn't ended, so the price will probably go up a bit. At eBay.de there are actually some FX4500 available for sale. I wouldn't pay more than 30 EUR for the card itself, except you need it for professional work. A flashed X1950XT/X1900XT is the better card in terms of value for money and in relation to the value of a G5.

Nameci
Nov 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
If you are based in Czech Republic, why bother with shipping & customs from the US? Bidding for the Quadro hasn't ended, so the price will probably go up a bit. At eBay.de there are actually some FX4500 available for sale. I wouldn't pay more than 30 EUR for the card itself, except you need it for professional work. A flashed X1950XT/X1900XT is the better card in terms of value for money and in relation to the value of a G5.

i strongly agree, if you don't do 3d or CAD work it does not make sense to have a quadro, the best bang for the buck is the X1900.

AnonMac50
Nov 24, 2012, 04:07 AM
Hi PPC aficionados,

Specs wise:

Tiger has some 64-bit support, but for apps to be 64-bit, they need to be at least Leopard, I think.

666sheep
Nov 24, 2012, 04:50 AM
I believe this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/512MB-QUADRO-FX4500-GDDR3-DUAL-DVI-PCI-EXPRESS-OEM-VCQFX4500-PCIE-PB-/300814541572?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4609f1a304)should be flashable, but I am not at all certain.

This one is surely flashable for PPC. There are 2 versions of FX4500: one and two sided RAM chips. One sided are working with EFI ROM but not with PPC one, two sided are working with both ROMs.

i strongly agree, if you don't do 3d or CAD work it does not make sense to have a quadro, the best bang for the buck is the X1900.

I'd add video editing to this list. It's always better to have 512MB framebuffer than 256MB. My recommendation would be Quadro (or 7800GTX 512MB) for serious work (video, 3D, CAD), X1900 for other purposes as gaming and everyday tasks. Choice depends on what you're using your Mac for.

Colpeas
Nov 24, 2012, 08:47 AM

I saw those 4500's on ebay.de, but they generally cost more than I am willing to pay. The guy who listed the quadro on US ebay told me that he charges $18 for international USPS shipping, which is OK for me.
In Czech Republic, these cards are a rare commodity. There's plenty of X1950's, but those are mostly GT or Pro, which I believe, are not flashable. Same situation on ebay.de though...

I use my G5 (it's a Dual 2.0Ghz) for various tasks, including occasional video editing or light Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver stuff. But it serves me as a media centre most of the time - I have my 200+ GB lossless music library stored there, I watch movies on it, and I've also tried to play some classic games on it, but the basic 128MB DDR1 6600LE, which I'm currently stuck with, is just bad. Even the video playback is sometimes choppy...

This one is surely flashable for PPC. There are 2 versions of FX4500: one and two sided RAM chips. One sided are working with EFI ROM but not with PPC one, two sided are working with both ROMs.

I'd add video editing to this list. It's always better to have 512MB framebuffer than 256MB. My recommendation would be Quadro (or 7800GTX 512MB) for serious work (video, 3D, CAD), X1900 for other purposes as gaming and everyday tasks. Choice depends on what you're using your Mac for.

From you guys' statements I assume that a X1900 is generally a better GPU, is that right? My original intention was to buy that card from a fella who offers new X1900G5's on US ebay for, like, $110 a piece + cca $45 shipping to CZ.

But in case this quadro is flashable and wouldn't go over $70, do you think it is worth purchasing? I definitely need a new GPU and wouldn't mind investing to X1900, but if I can get this quadro for less, do you think I can go wrong with it? I am not much of a gamer, nor a pro, but I do little of both.

666sheep
Nov 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
From you guys' statements I assume that a X1900 is generally a better GPU, is that right?
It's not that simple. Hardware-wise it looks like this (memory bandwidth, core & memory clocks, texture units etc.):

7800GT < FX4500 < X1900 < 7800GTX 512

...but HW it's only a half. Drivers are doing the rest of job. ATI PPC drivers seems to be better tuned for hardware than Nvidia ones. It translates to worse results of Nvidia cards on PPC in OS X (in general) and lack of software overclocking ability. Only 7800GTX 512 flashed with proper ROM could outperform X1900GT in games.

Quadro cards have usually more RAM and do offer some hardware features unavailable for consumer grade cards. But software you're using must support these features.

My original intention was to buy that card from a fella who offers new X1900G5's on US ebay for, like, $110 a piece + cca $45 shipping to CZ.

You do have Aukro in Czech Republic. In Poland it's called Allegro. Aukro users can bid on Allegro and vice-versa. On Allegro there are some offers of various X1900 types for equivalent of ca. $30 + shipping. Check this out.
Flashing is easy. You can do it on a Mac. Graphiccelerator supports X1900GT ROM.

Nameci
Nov 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
It's not that simple. Hardware-wise it looks like this (memory bandwidth, core & memory clocks, texture units etc.):

7800GT < FX4500 < X1900 < 7800GTX 512

...but HW it's only a half. Drivers are doing the rest of job. ATI PPC drivers seems to be better tuned for hardware than Nvidia ones. It translates to worse results of Nvidia cards on PPC in OS X (in general) and lack of software overclocking ability. Only 7800GTX 512 flashed with proper ROM could outperform X1900GT in games.

Quadro cards have usually more RAM and do offer some hardware features unavailable for consumer grade cards. But software you're using must support these features.

You do have Aukro in Czech Republic. In Poland it's called Allegro. Aukro users can bid on Allegro and vice-versa. On Allegro there are some offers of various X1900 types for equivalent of ca. $30 + shipping. Check this out.
Flashing is easy. You can do it on a Mac. Graphiccelerator supports X1900GT ROM.

Correct me of my understanding, if I have 6600 on 8x slot, I would be putting the X1900 on 4x slot and I can flash using the ATI Graphiccelerator?

666sheep
Nov 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
Should work. I didn't flash that way personally because I don't have G5 now, but as ROM editor (GE) supports X1900 ROM, ATI Multiflasher should support it too. No matter what slot you'll use IMO, as long both cards will be recognized – or X1900 only using VNC or screen sharing. Use Tiger to do it.

Nameci
Nov 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Should work. I didn't flash that way personally because I don't have G5 now, but as ROM editor (GE) supports X1900 ROM, ATI Multiflasher should support it too. No matter what slot you'll use IMO, as long both cards will be recognized – or X1900 only using VNC or screen sharing. Use Tiger to do it.

It doesn't work with Leo?

666sheep
Nov 24, 2012, 07:36 PM
Graphiccelerator does work, but ATI Multiflasher does not AFAIR.

Nameci
Nov 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
Graphiccelerator does work, but ATI Multiflasher does not AFAIR.

yes it doesn't work with Leo, I have like carbon error... time to backup and install tiger...

Update:

Installed Tiger on a separate partition. It works but I think flashing was not successful. Multi-flasher loads, Rom loads, what will i click to flash it? The "save" button?

Update:

I think I have bricked the card, it is not even recognized on the system profiler. BTW, it is an ATI X1900GTo 256mb as I have read from the back of the card.

prvt.donut
Nov 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
Ouch!

Am thinking of flashing today using ATI flash. Thanks for the rom thorn.

I have a Mac Pro to do this on, is there any advice I need to have before going ahead?

Should I put the card in as well as the Pro's current card so that I have the monitor connected to its regular card and flash that way? Or maybe it doesn't matter and I can just pull out the current card to avoid confusion with which card to flash?

Also, does the ATI flash tool let you load the rom in to the cd when creating the boot disk?

Just want to be sure I know what's gonna happen.

666sheep
Nov 25, 2012, 12:23 AM
Nameci, flashing procedure is described in Read Me located in Graphiccelerator folder.
Short: load ROM into flasher, run Run Me First then launch Multiflasher -> ATI Tools folder.

You can unbrick your card in a PC using DOS or Windows flasher. It's reversible.

prvt.donut
Nov 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
Can I use the Zeus tool to flash the card in the Mac Pro?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=877437

Nameci
Nov 25, 2012, 01:11 AM
Nameci, flashing procedure is described in Read Me located in Graphiccelerator folder.
Short: load ROM into flasher, run Run Me First then launch Multiflasher -> ATI Tools folder.

You can unbrick your card in a PC using DOS or Windows flasher. It's reversible.

I have read the read me in the Graphiccelerator folder and followed instructions to the tee. Previously, sys info would identify the card but after flashing it did not. I have used thorns ROM and the card that I have flashed says X1900GTO. Anyway, what is the difference between a GT and a GTO?

prvt.donut
Nov 25, 2012, 01:38 AM
No one?:confused:

The Zeus tool looks like a good option, because the ATIflash tool needs a 32bit win box, and I only have access to 64bit machines.

Is it ok for me to flash my Mac Pro card to PowerMac ROM using the Zeus tool?

666sheep
Nov 25, 2012, 02:03 AM
I have read the read me in the Graphiccelerator folder and followed instructions to the tee. Previously, sys info would identify the card but after flashing it did not. I have used thorns ROM and the card that I have flashed says X1900GTO. Anyway, what is the difference between a GT and a GTO?

Thorns ROM has Device ID for X1950XT and that's why it doesn't work with your GTO (which is re-branded GT, no difference). Now it's 7244 and it should be 724B. Open thorns ROM in Hex Edit or similar app, change DID, save as new ROM the reflash on a PC and you should be good to go. Look for 44 72 in the beginning of ROM (values are endian flipped). Change 44 to 4B.

No one?:confused:

The Zeus tool looks like a good option, because the ATIflash tool needs a 32bit win box, and I only have access to 64bit machines.

Is it ok for me to flash my Mac Pro card to PowerMac ROM using the Zeus tool?

Probably. But don't bother with Zeus. It's too buggy and too picky when comes to cards support. Use DOS atiflash. You'll need to change DID in ROM to 7249 for X1900XT. Otherwise your attempt may end like Nameci's.

prvt.donut
Nov 25, 2012, 02:14 AM
Probably. But don't bother with Zeus. It's too buggy and too picky when comes to cards support. Use DOS atiflash. You'll need to change DID in ROM to 7249 for X1900XT. Otherwise your attempt may end like Nameci's.

Ok, thanks.

I have ran out of time for today, will try and get the boot CD made soon.

Can I make ATI Flash on a bootable USB drive? That would make life a bit easier too.

666sheep
Nov 25, 2012, 02:22 AM
OFC, you need to make it DOS bootable. I use Win ME rescue disc burnt on CD + small FAT partitioned HDD.

Nameci
Nov 25, 2012, 03:25 AM
Thorns ROM has Device ID for X1950XT and that's why it doesn't work with your GTO (which is re-branded GT, no difference). Now it's 7244 and it should be 724B. Open thorns ROM in Hex Edit or similar app, change DID, save as new ROM the reflash on a PC and you should be good to go. Look for 44 72 in the beginning of ROM (values are endian flipped). Change 44 to 4B.

Have found two instances, have changed it. Tried to flash thru graphiccelerator again since I am far from a PC, but still no go. It seems that it did not write to the card.

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 25, 2012, 04:27 AM
Look, your G5 is a geriatric and you will lose money if you try to upgrade it with fancy new stuff like GPUs or an SSD, they hit a point where their value will never increase until they become antiques. The only value in PPC Macs is nostalgia, and if you use one as your main machine and tweak the hell out of it to suit your needs.

My G5 tower cost $150. Spent $160 of RAM, $240 on the SSD, $80 on the 1TB HD, $30 on USB 2.0 PCI cards, $160 on the GPU. It's a bloody fast piece of tech, but your average user can get a pretty "well" specced PC for that money or an Intel Mac with the whole "Lion" gig for that cash.

EDIT: Posted from my 8 year old G5 tower which still performs like a champ.

prvt.donut
Nov 25, 2012, 05:15 AM
Look, your G5 is a geriatric and you will lose money if you try to upgrade it with fancy new stuff like GPUs or an SSD, they hit a point where their value will never increase until they become antiques. The only value in PPC Macs is nostalgia, and if you use one as your main machine and tweak the hell out of it to suit your needs.

My G5 tower cost $150. Spent $160 of RAM, $240 on the SSD, $80 on the 1TB HD, $30 on USB 2.0 PCI cards, $160 on the GPU. It's a bloody fast piece of tech, but your average user can get a pretty "well" specced PC for that money or an Intel Mac with the whole "Lion" gig for that cash.

EDIT: Posted from my 8 year old G5 tower which still performs like a champ.

Yeah, I know.

But I have the SSD sitting around anyway, and also got the GPU for free (just have to flash it).

I bought a super micro Bufallo USB bluetooth 4.0 dongle that arrived today from Amazon today because I have a spare Apple wireless keyboard and also a Mircosoft bluetooth mouse and a 8GB USB drive for me to copy Leopard to for doing a clean install to the SSD drive.

The only other thing I am going to buy for it specifically will be RAM. That is a bit expensive at about $60 for 2x2GB sticks, to about $240 to max it out, but I don't want to Max it out yet, just go month by month, bumping it up until it feels right, at the moment with 1.5GB I think that is limiting its potential a bit.

prvt.donut
Nov 25, 2012, 06:54 AM
Well that was a wasted evening.

I can't find my old leopard retail DVD so made a USB installer.

But couldn't boot into dev mode because using a windows keyboard and it just doesn't seem to work with the windows+alt+o+f combination. I read that some windows keyboards just won't send the signal in the first stages of boot.

In a long shot, I tried the Bluetooth keyboard and that didn't work either.

Grrrr.

I tried installing tiger from my original reinstall discs to the ssd, but when installing, it couldn't see the drive! When fully booted into tiger, the ssd drive is there as a second drive, so I am thinking it is just that the original version of tiger can't see it.

So, for now, I will just leave it for now as I clearly don't have the right tools.

Do you think if I can borrow an apple USB keyboard I can boot into dev mode and install leopard from the USB?

666sheep
Nov 25, 2012, 10:20 AM
Have found two instances, have changed it. Tried to flash thru graphiccelerator again since I am far from a PC, but still no go. It seems that it did not write to the card.

Since it isn't listed by ASP it cannot be flashed on a Mac ATM. That's why you need a PC.

Nameci
Nov 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
Since it isn't listed by ASP it cannot be flashed on a Mac ATM. That's why you need a PC.

Ok thanks, 6.

MisterKeeks
Nov 25, 2012, 12:13 PM

Is there anything else to look for when purchasing a Quadro?

666sheep
Nov 25, 2012, 01:52 PM
^^^Nope, this it's most important if you need a card for G5.

Ok thanks, 6.

There's another method which I have forgotten about: http://netkas.org/?p=1182

Colpeas
Nov 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
Do you think if I can borrow an apple USB keyboard I can boot into dev mode and install leopard from the USB?

Not sure, but all my attempts to install Leo from an USB drive have ended up unsuccessfully, no matter what I've tried. Perhaps I did something wrong, but in the end I had to burn a Leopard installation DVD anyway...

jbarley
Nov 25, 2012, 02:55 PM
Not sure, but all my attempts to install Leo from an USB drive have ended up unsuccessfully, no matter what I've tried. Perhaps I did something wrong, but in the end I had to burn a Leopard installation DVD anyway...
Excuse me if you've already answered this, but are you sure your USB drive was partitioned using the "Guid" partition map, which it needs in order to be bootable.

ihuman:D
Nov 25, 2012, 03:09 PM
Excuse me if you've already answered this, but are you sure your USB drive was partitioned using the "Guid" partition map, which it needs in order to be bootable.

It has to be Apple Partition Map. I just made a bootable Leopard USB last night.

jbarley
Nov 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
It has to be Apple Partition Map. I just made a bootable Leopard USB last night.
Of course, sorry for the misleading post, do not know what I was thinking...
Probably the hang-over effect of just spending 3 days trying to get Mountain-Lion installed and working on my Laptop.

Colpeas
Nov 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
AFAIK you can't boot a PPC Mac with GUID partitioned drive. It needs to be partitioned using APM (Apple Partition Map) scheme which I believe it was.

EDIT: Too late :)

Nov 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Of course, sorry for the misleading post, do not know what I was thinking...
Probably the hang-over effect of just spending 3 days trying to get Mountain-Lion installed and working on my Laptop.

Don't worry, we all have our moments :) !

cocacolakid
Nov 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Look, your G5 is a geriatric and you will lose money if you try to upgrade it with fancy new stuff like GPUs or an SSD, they hit a point where their value will never increase until they become antiques.

ALL computers lose value. If the G5 can meet the OP's needs and hopefully not spend much to do it, great. Remember, the G5 was free, so they're starting out having spent nothing.

PowerPCMacMan
Nov 25, 2012, 11:32 PM
Probably. But don't bother with Zeus. It's too buggy and too picky when comes to cards support.

Don't tell that to the author of Zeus. Cindori does not take that stuff lightly and goes postal on everyone who criticizes his apps. I know, I see this stuff go on all the time over on Mac Pro forums.

----------

I have never had any problem installing Leopard or even Tiger on USB anything. All I did was use Disk Utility to copy over Leopard to the USB via RESTORE command. Then, go into OF and type: boot ud:,\\:tbxi and this boots the USB device containing Leopard and its quite fast. USB 2.0 is not so slow at least for me. The trick is to find, using "devalias" anything with "ud" in it.

Just type the above command in open firmware and your USB device will boot Leopard! I have used this method on my PowerBook G4 1.67 DLSD and can confirm this works. Strangely enough, even on my PowerBook G4 Pismo I am able to not only boot off USB, but when I hold down OPTION, the USB drive comes up! Strange... as this won't appear under USB 2.0 PowerPC based macs.

But, it does work. You must be doing something wrong for it not to boot via USB.

prvt.donut
Nov 26, 2012, 02:50 AM
I can't get into open firmware mode.

Hence, can't boot into the USB drive.

As I said, I think it's due to my non-Apple Keyboard.

I will be happy if you know something to get it to work!

Otherwise, I will have to burn my leopard dmg backup to a DL-DVD to do the install.

Colpeas
Nov 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
I don't think it's because of the keyboard, because Win key works exactly as CMD no matter if you are in OS X or open firmware, so the problem is probably somewhere else...

But otherwise, if you won't manage to boot from the USB, you'll have to burn a dvd, just remeber that you need to use a Mac to do that. AFAIK it doesn't even have to be DL-DVD, I've heard about ways to squeeze Leo on a sinlge layer. You may google search for it. It takes ages to burn a DL...

prvt.donut
Nov 26, 2012, 03:20 AM
I read that some windows keyboards don't send the keystroke signals in the early boot stages needed.

So that could very well be the problem.

I bought some DL DVDs, so will burn and try that tonight.

Edit: hmmmm. I bought DVD DL -R Discs, seems like the drive can only burn to DVD DL +R discs. I tried googling before buying, but couldn't find any references to it.

If I burn on a Mac in the office, will it still be able to read the disc?

Colpeas
Nov 26, 2012, 04:29 PM

I'm sorry to bother you, but could you provide me a ROM to X1900 G5 as well? I found this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/380494624730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) listing on eBay and would like to buy and flash that card for my dear G5 box. I assume it should work, as the only HW difference between this card and your X1900XT 512M seems to be the size of GDDR3 memory, correct?

If I burn on a Mac in the office, will it still be able to read the disc?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDrive :

SuperDrives are combination DVD±RW and CD-RW writer drives offering speeds of 8–24x and supporting the DVD±R, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD±RW, DVD-9, CD-R, and CD-RW formats along with all normal read-only media.

According to wikipedia, it should work - as long as you burn the Leo disc using APM scheme, obviously.

prvt.donut
Nov 26, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry to bother you, but could you provide me a ROM to X1900 G5 as well? I found this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/380494624730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) listing on eBay and would like to buy and flash that card for my dear G5 box. I assume it should work, as the only HW difference between this card and your X1900XT 512M seems to be the size of GDDR3 memory, correct?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDrive :

SuperDrives are combination DVD±RW and CD-RW writer drives offering speeds of 8–24x and supporting the DVD±R, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD±RW, DVD-9, CD-R, and CD-RW formats along with all normal read-only media.

According to wikipedia, it should work - as long as you burn the Leo disc using APM scheme, obviously.

Here is a x1900gt for $20 shipped!!! And you don't need to flash it! He has 6 available.

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/vi?itemId=251183887141

I looked up in system profile and only DVD DL +R was listed. Not -R. :mad:

This is from Wikipedia; "16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DV±RW/CDRW)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

Colpeas
Nov 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Here is a x1900gt for $20 shipped!!! And you don't need to flash it! He has 6 available.

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/vi?itemId=251183887141

I looked up in system profile and only DVD DL +R was listed. Not -R. :mad:

This is from Wikipedia; "16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DV±RW/CDRW)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

Sorry, I missed "as of December 2006" part in the article I posted. Since your G5 is 2005 that should be the reason. My bad.

And about the video card: Thank you, that's a deal indeed. But they don't say anything about international shipping and ebay wouldn't allow me to ask the seller a question: "Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question" they say... And as I don't have anyone living in the US who could forward the shipment to my country, I'll probably have to pass on this deal. What a pity. :(

EDIT: Now I see, there's nothing about it being a Mac version, so it could easily be a standard X1900GT Low-profile version, which was also made for regular PCs and looked the same as the G5 version. But, it's still quite a deal!

I am really curious if x1900XT flashed with x1900GT ROM can still use its 12 extra pixel shaders... Perhaps thorns would know the answer...

prvt.donut
Nov 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I missed "as of December 2006" part in the article I posted. Since your G5 is 2005 that should be the reason. My bad.

And about the video card: Thank you, that's a deal indeed. But they don't say anything about international shipping and ebay wouldn't allow me to ask the seller a question: "Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question" they say... And as I don't have anyone living in the US who could forward the shipment to my country, I'll probably have to pass on this deal. What a pity. :(

EDIT: Now I see, there's nothing about it being a Mac version, so it could easily be a standard X1900GT Low-profile version, which was also made for regular PCs and looked the same as the G5 version. But, it's still quite a deal!

I am really curious if x1900XT flashed with x1900GT ROM can still use its 12 extra pixel shaders... Perhaps thorns would know the answer...

That's weird, I'm in Japan and it let me ask the seller questions.

I just asked to confirm if they were pulled from Powermacs. I didn't know there was another type of x1900gt!!!

Sometimes, if you email the seller, they can add the country you live in to the ship to address. But some sellers are (rightly so) weary of shipping to other countries because of the eBay/PayPal protection bias towards buyers.

I think for the ROM to utilize the extra shaders, you would have to edit it yourself.

Colpeas
Nov 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
Well that weird for sure. Every time I click "ask seller a question" it lets me choose a subject of my question, but when I try to proceed to the next step - write the actual message, for some reason it gives me this message saying that the seller is not able to reply to my question.

I'm well aware of it, as I did it numerous times, and usually the seller was willing to send the goods overseas, but I've also encountered several cases when the seller refused to do so.
I'm not exactly sure what have you meant by eBay's/PayPals bias towards buyers, or precisely - why should be sellers anxious about it.

I'm not exactly a wiz when it comes to hex editing, so if there's not an easy way to get those shaders working, I'll keep 'em disabled. (in case I'd get the XT version, of course. So far I'm biased more towards the XT because of its dual-slot cooling, which can be nothing but beneficial for the card in terms of its lifespan, but if there was a change of getting a GT for a good buck, I'd go for it)

prvt.donut
Nov 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Well that weird for sure. Every time I click "ask seller a question" it lets me choose a subject of my question, but when I try to proceed to the next step - write the actual message, for some reason it gives me this message saying that the seller is not able to reply to my question.

I'm well aware of it, as I did it numerous times, and usually the seller was willing to send the goods overseas, but I've also encountered several cases when the seller refused to do so.
I'm not exactly sure what have you meant by eBay's/PayPals bias towards buyers, or precisely - why should be sellers anxious about it.

I'm not exactly a wiz when it comes to hex editing, so if there's not an easy way to get those shaders working, I'll keep 'em disabled. (in case I'd get the XT version, of course. So far I'm biased more towards the XT because of its dual-slot cooling, which can be nothing but beneficial for the card in terms of its lifespan, but if there was a change of getting a GT for a good buck, I'd go for it)

I know what you mean, I have heard that the single slot cards are NOISY!!!!

Maybe it let me send an email because I used the ebay app.

I sent the first question on the iPad app, and the second question on the iPhone app.

What i meant about the ebay/paypal bias was that they are focused on protecting the buyer, so there are many cases where bad buyers will make a complaint to paypal, saying it was broken, or the seller lied or something, then send it back, but post back a different product that they bought, IE, buying an iPhone 3G, complaining that it was all scratched up beyond what the seller said, get a refund and post it back, but when the seller opens the box that is returned to him, only finds an ancient Nokia phone or some other junk.:eek:

update:

The seller replied, he said that they bought them originally from NewEgg and they are the PC version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102022

cocacolakid
Nov 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
Well that weird for sure. Every time I click "ask seller a question" it lets me choose a subject of my question, but when I try to proceed to the next step - write the actual message, for some reason it gives me this message saying that the seller is not able to reply to my question

eBay sellers can also set their preferences to not allow buyers who do not meet the sellers requirements to contact them. That's likely what's happening. Sellers can set that for countries they do not ship to or if the buyer has x number of unpaid items in the last 30 days, etc. (not suggesting that second part applies to you, just that it's one of many reasons a seller can decide to not allow buyers to contact them).

Colpeas
Nov 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I thought so. But you can still flash it for mac quite easily.

And I tried to ask a question using the ebay iphone app, and guess what - it worked! Hopefully, he'll agree with international shipping but he should better reply ASAP, cause there are only 4 cards left. Otherwise I'm getting the XT right away.

thorns
Nov 27, 2012, 03:20 AM
Get the XT, I am sure the noisy fan/cooler on the GT would drive you nuts. As for the extra Pixel Shaders, I assume that they are NOT used if you flash a XT chip, since this is set by either the BIOS or the driver or probably a combination of both. This is just product differentiation (read: ATI produces a wafer full of R580 GPUs. Due to the production process, chips in the center of the wafer will end up being the "full" GPUs with every pixel shader activated, ending up on the XT cards. The chips away from the center will have defects resulting in fewer functioning pixel shaders, making them the GT chips. Since the number of pixel shaders must be fixed somehow, the BIOS or driver has to tell the card how many shaders to use. I don't know of a tool equivalent to GPU-Z which could tell how many pixel shaders are actually in use..)

@Colpeas: I am currently not able to send you the ROM file since I'm away from my G5. Send me your e-mail address via PM and I'll get back to you on the weekend.

prvt.donut
Nov 27, 2012, 03:42 AM
Finally, I got my leopard DVD burnt.

But my Corsair Force GT SSD won't show up when trying to install.

Ohhh!! I read that ChrisGermany had his agility with the same controller working in the bottom slot.

I moved it to the bottom slot, and it shows up!!!

Super!!

Finally! Installing Leopard on the SSD!

I can't wait to see how snappy it will be!

prvt.donut
Nov 27, 2012, 04:22 AM
Oh no, I spoke to soon.

It finished installing, but now won't boot

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 27, 2012, 04:28 AM
I tried a Corsair Force 3 SSD, never showed up in either SATA bay.

Works in a SATA I Macbook though, my G5 currently uses an OWC Mercury G5 SSD.

rabidz7
Dec 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hi PPC aficionados,

Specs wise:
Machine Name:Power Mac G5
Machine Model:PowerMac11,2
CPU Type:PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs:2
CPU Speed:2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):1 MB
Memory:1.5 GB
GPU Model:GeForce 6600LE
VRAM (Total):128 MB

Keep the little friend, but get a new video card, maybe a quadro fx 4500.

prvt.donut
Dec 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Keep the little friend, but get a new video card, maybe a quadro fx 4500.

I have 9.5GB of Ram in it now and a 240GB SATAII drive for the OS and it is running very fast now.

I want to video edit and photo shop on it, and so far the 6600 feels fine. Will I benefit from a new GPU? I haven't gotten around to flashing the x1900 I have yet either.

rabidz7
Dec 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
I have 9.5GB of Ram in it now and a 240GB SATAII drive for the OS and it is running very fast now.

I want to video edit and photo shop on it, and so far the 6600 feels fine. Will I benefit from a new GPU? I haven't gotten around to flashing the x1900 I have yet either.

Yes, the slowest part of the entire computer is the gpu and it is probably bottlenecking the entire system. For flashing: themacelite.wikidot.com. The X1900 is pcie and your computer is ago it will not work unless you have the late 2005 model.

Lil Chillbil
Dec 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
Can anyone report on if that card can handle 1080p?

Would be cool to hook up to my TV and use it as the media centre/desktop workstation.

Living in Tokyo though, no space for a desk to put it on!:eek: Sure I can work something out.

according to zen.state (yeah remember that ***hole) he can run 10.5.8 smoothly on a 400mhz g4 and still play back 1080p

MisterKeeks
Dec 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
pcie and your computer is ago it will not work unless you have the late 2005 model.

All PCIe Power Macs were late 2005.

gary568
Jan 22, 2013, 10:56 AM
Get the XT, I am sure the noisy fan/cooler on the GT would drive you nuts. As for the extra Pixel Shaders, I assume that they are NOT used if you flash a XT chip, since this is set by either the BIOS or the driver or probably a combination of both. This is just product differentiation (read: ATI produces a wafer full of R580 GPUs. Due to the production process, chips in the center of the wafer will end up being the "full" GPUs with every pixel shader activated, ending up on the XT cards. The chips away from the center will have defects resulting in fewer functioning pixel shaders, making them the GT chips. Since the number of pixel shaders must be fixed somehow, the BIOS or driver has to tell the card how many shaders to use. I don't know of a tool equivalent to GPU-Z which could tell how many pixel shaders are actually in use..)

@Colpeas: I am currently not able to send you the ROM file since I'm away from my G5. Send me your e-mail address via PM and I'll get back to you on the weekend.

Hi Thorns,

Sorry to revive this semi-old thread...I just purchased a PowerMac G5 dual-core 2.3 and love it, it is my first Mac following being a PC user for 20+ years. I would like to swap out the 6600LE card for a x1900 / x1950 but cannot find anywhere where I can download the ROM for it. Could you send me the ROM file please?

Thanks,

Gary

Nameci
Jan 23, 2013, 06:33 AM
Hi Thorns,

Sorry to revive this semi-old thread...I just purchased a PowerMac G5 dual-core 2.3 and love it, it is my first Mac following being a PC user for 20+ years. I would like to swap out the 6600LE card for a x1900 / x1950 but cannot find anywhere where I can download the ROM for it. Could you send me the ROM file please?

Thanks,

Gary

Send me a PM...

Blackberryroid
Jan 23, 2013, 07:07 AM
You've got a better computer than you think, tho crippled a little by the LE video card. Late 2005 final revision PMG5 Dual Core 2.0.

16 gigs of ram
2 TB HD
Quadro video card.

You'd be happier than you think with it.

I might understand the 2 TB HDD part, but 16 GB RAM and Quadro Video Card? Seriously? With that processor, it's nearly useless as a rock. You can't run Windows off of it, that means no gaming, cancels the video card.

And it's not like you are going to do video editing on it, because, again, barely any apps run on it and that processor is really going to irk you with the rendering time, thus making the 16 GB worthless.

A low-end Mac mini is worth more than that machine. I say, sell it.

MisterKeeks
Jan 23, 2013, 07:05 PM
I might understand the 2 TB HDD part, but 16 GB RAM and Quadro Video Card? Seriously? With that processor, it's nearly useless as a rock. You can't run Windows off of it, that means no gaming, cancels the video card.

And it's not like you are going to do video editing on it, because, again, barely any apps run on it and that processor is really going to irk you with the rendering time, thus making the 16 GB worthless.

I don't know if you have used a G5, but I think you don't give it enough credit. Perhaps for gaming, you are stuck with games from 2008-2009 (I wouldn't know, I don't game), and for video editing, it's not optimal, but it can be done, Final Cut Studio 3 runs on it, etc.

However, it is good for most basic things- web browsing, that sort of thing.
The OP ended up keeping it, and judging from his recent threads, it is a media server.

Jethryn Freyman
Jan 24, 2013, 05:52 AM

I got a fairly slow G5 CPU, a dual 1.8GHz. I've also got an SSD boot drive, maxed out 4GB memory, and the fastest GPU you can get.

Everything I do, it's the CPU that is the bottleneck. Both in raw single-CPU pace, and the face that most PPC software can only work with a single CPU.

Still, it supports three PCI cards and can be easily fixed and upgraded compared to a current mini. Not to mention, you can even grate cheese on it, if you love cheese, lack a grater, and get really desperate.

prvt.donut
Jan 24, 2013, 06:22 AM
I'm keeping it for now, I did buy a few upgrades for it, 8GB of RAM, and I ended up getting the Apple airport/Bluetooth card as I had a Magic Mouse and Apple Keyboard already. Also I ended up getting an SSD for it because ever since I had my first computer with an SSD 2 years ago, I refuse to have a computer with an OS on a spinning drive. And I can always move the SSD to my next computer.

Right now, it is working nice, I still might flash that x1900xt I have. I wouldn't buy a GPU for it though. It's a bit too much for the value of it. Considering the power and cost of new cards.

I will keep it for now, it fulfills a role of holding my media and I have Aperture on it for my photos.

I live in Tokyo, and space is limited, I am tempted to build a CustoMac, I can build with the latest parts and have more fun with it.

mgwardencki
Mar 1, 2013, 04:20 AM
cut

wobegong
Mar 1, 2013, 04:36 AM

You're being a little bit unfair - The memory and video card will be ebay/second hand so not expensive. Games wise I have the exact same machine with a 7800GTX card and yes you are limited but still run Civilisation III & IV, Quake IV, Doom III (all at maximum settings), Amnesia (surprisingly a modern game), then old Call of Duty's, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake III etc etc. For all other tasks it is an admirable machine though I will agree with you on larger rendering jobs but as mine were all converting to .264 I used an Elgato Turbo.264 USB dongle to speed those up to almost as fast as my MacbookPro i7.....

Now used as an XMBC Media Server (because yes, the MBP is much smoother and more importantly able to run modern software) and (seriously...) runs XBMC smoother and (menu transitions) faster than my Macbook 2.4 C2D.....

MisterKeeks
Mar 2, 2013, 10:31 PM
@Thorns could you send me x1900 g5 rom to my email? sorry for this post but I can't send pm's.

Might not want to put your email up there where anyone can see. Members have the option to email you through Macrumors.

mgwardencki
Mar 4, 2013, 09:46 AM
MisterKeeks post cancelled. Anyone can send me x1900 g5 rom?

Colpeas
Mar 4, 2013, 10:59 AM
MisterKeeks post cancelled. Anyone can send me x1900 g5 rom?

If you are still interested, I still have the ROM file I got from Thorns some time ago...

MisterKeeks
Mar 4, 2013, 07:22 PM
If you are still interested, I still have the ROM file I got from Thorns some time ago...

I would be interested as well. I could put it online so people stop asking for it.

mgwardencki
Mar 5, 2013, 10:25 AM

@Colpeas yes I'm still interested but I can't send pms.

aboutkab
Mar 5, 2013, 01:17 PM

Hello Colpeas,

I am sorry to parasite this thread but I am new here and I didn't find a way to PM you directly.

Somebody sent me to you about a 7800 GTX 512mb rom file. I need this file as I got me a PC Graphics card. I have a Power Mac G5 Quad.

Can you help me out with this ?

Greetings

Colpeas
Mar 5, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hello Colpeas,

I am sorry to parasite this thread but I am new here and I didn't find a way to PM you directly.

Somebody sent me to you about a 7800 GTX 512mb rom file. I need this file as I got me a PC Graphics card. I have a Power Mac G5 Quad.

Greetings

Unfortunately I can't. In order to flash 7800GTX you need Quadro FX4500 ROM file, which I don't have and never had.

Whoever sent you to me, pointed you in the wrong direction, sorry.

@Colpeas yes I'm still interested but I can't send pms.

See attachment.

prvt.donut
Mar 5, 2013, 11:17 PM
Ahhhh, I sold it in the end...

Got $650 for it including the 23"ACD, Magic Mouse and Apple wireless Keyboard, 240GB SSD and 1 TB data drive.

Now I have built a nice corei7 980x, 18GB Ram, 5970 Mountain Lion Hackintosh/Windows Gaming box.

As I don't have a monitor, I have to use the TV (40" 3DTV), I discovered that it plays Crysis 3 very nicely in full 3D HD!!!!:D

I am still working on the setup, but currently have ML on a 240GB SSD, a 250GB drive for a CCC backup, Win7 on a 160GB drive that I will change to a 120GB SSD soon and then use the 160GB drive as a backup image drive and just a little 500GB RAID 1 storage drive for both OS's to use.

Hackintosh's, they are the way forward!

Arkious
Mar 6, 2013, 12:45 AM
For your reference;

I have a quad G5 late 2005 2.5GHz.

I have 16 GB of RAM on it.

I have an SSD as boot drive and 1 terabyte of HDD for data.

I have Quadro FX4500 as my gfx card.

I also have an apple cinema display 23" same as you.

I fitted it with original apple extreme card.

For external storage, I have a 1 terabyte for back up and time machine connected to an eSATA PCIe card on my G5. Accessing my external is faster than accessing my data disk.

My job entails working in illustrator and photoshop as well as doing CAD work.

And I will still have to find a thing that could choke my G5.

If I were you I would keep and slowly kit it. It would last you for at least another 5 years.

Leopard all the way.

That's quite a beast of an old G5!

grapels
Apr 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
I would have kept it... but that's me... I don't like the idea of running hackintosh b/c I have use it for business...

I've had it for about 3 weeks and built it out of spare parts I had laying around. I paid $200 for a g5 2.3ghz with 2 23" apple cinema displays.

I loaded a 2 1tb hard drives in it and bumped the ram up to 12gb.

I plan to use it for editing/video work... It's a much cheaper entry still than mac pros. So far it's taken everything I can throw at it, and the performance is very snappy.

I plan to use it as my main machine for the next few years... then I'll probably move the drives over to a pro, and keep the monitors.

Caveat, I don't think you made a mistake selling the G5... I would have kept the monitors if I were you though, they are awesome. The detail level and richness of blacks is worth it if you do graphics/video work/doc layouts... it is noticeably better and easier on the eyes, and accurate, than my 1920x1080 led lg.

For performance unless you *have* to run intel apps, it's a bargain. I just use Office 2008, Adobe CS4, FCP6... still can get perfect quality stuff out of them.

I have a macbook if I really need to run intel apps, but, the macbook can't handle the video/processing like this thing. nor does it have the screen space I need.

Optimally I'd get a mac pro, but this can get 95% of everything done I need to, so....didn't see the point of dumping so much more money.

grapels
Apr 20, 2013, 03:48 PM

Apr 20, 2013, 03:56 PM

As you already said...

mgwardencki
May 17, 2013, 04:24 AM
try this

Hello Colpeas,

Greetings

rabidz7
May 23, 2013, 08:56 AM

AtiAccelarator cannot overclock cards newer than the x800

SuperPolli
May 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
I use a late 2005 Power Mac G5 with a 320 GB HDD (Getting a 500 GB in a few weeks) 6 GB RAM, and the same graphics you have. I love it. It makes a great media server.

I'd say keep it.

tevion5
May 26, 2013, 06:36 PM
Did they throw out that 23" cinema display as well? An aluminium one?

I wish this company that likes to throw awesome things at people for free existed nearer to me! :P

Sinclair1000
Sep 4, 2013, 11:06 AM

Hi, Colpeas! I have been sourching for the 7800 GTX ROM for days and couldn't find it. Would it be possible for you to send me it? Thanks!

rabidz7
Sep 4, 2013, 11:19 AM
Hi, Colpeas! I have been sourching for the 7800 GTX ROM for days and couldn't find it. Would it be possible for you to send me it? Thanks!

Here you go: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1552556
Please reply in thread upon successful flash.

Sinclair1000
Sep 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks a lot, Colpeas!
Unfortunately I only know of one pc where I can flash my card. It's a friend of mine, but he lives far from me. So I really don't know when I will try the ROM. As soon as I do, I' will post if it worked or not. Again, thanks a lot!

tevion5
Sep 16, 2013, 05:45 PM
Are there job vacancies at this office? :p

Sinclair1000
Oct 21, 2013, 06:02 AM
Here you go: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1552556
Please reply in thread upon successful flash.

Hi again, Colpeas! I finally gat the oportunity to flash the ROM. Unfortunatly it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong, maybe some incompatible issue with the hardware or maybe there is another problem besides the graphic card. I'll have to give up on this card and buy another one thats already prepared for Mac... The screen showed a lot of little squares, just like the other ROM I had used. Thanks for trying to help me out, though. I really apreciated it.