Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've been using Onavo pretty much since it came out, and it's a terrific app that solves a true problem. I know tey constantly update the profile they install on your iPhone, but suddenly Onavo is connecting via VPN.

I have never seen this before. Why is it using VPN, and not just doing it the way it used to?

onavo

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Hi Petrucci666,
Firstly, thank you for the positive feedback regarding our apps. We're really glad to hear that youve had positive Onavo experiences so far.

We've been upgrading our app's infrastructure to VPN in order to address some carrier-specific bugs that have affecting some of our users. Using VPN instead of APN allows us to continue helping our users while eliminating certain carrier-specific problems some users have been experiencing.

Sorry for the surprise VPN update and thanks a lot for reaching out to us!

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Petrucci666,
Firstly, thank you for the positive feedback regarding our apps. We're really glad to hear that youve had positive Onavo experiences so far.

We've been upgrading our app's infrastructure to VPN in order to address some carrier-specific bugs that have affecting some of our users. Using VPN instead of APN allows us to continue helping our users while eliminating certain carrier-specific problems some users have been experiencing.

Sorry for the surprise VPN update and thanks a lot for reaching out to us!

Wow, thanks for the response!

I wasn't expecting to get a response directly from the team developing the app, so kudos to you guys - great job!

My concern is that, while VPN might solve everyone's problem with a single solution, my (already bad) battery life will decrease since VPN is being used.

Last edited:

k2j

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Your concerns are valid. Since the switch to VPN, the battery life on my iPhone 5 has become horrible. A full charge used to last at least a day. Now, it's half of that. Also, I've noticed that my phone has a hard time connecting to the internet via the VPN (and why is the VPN still on while I'm using wifi?). Any suggestions on how to remedy the internet connectivity?

Up until now, Onavo has been great - I love the service they provide. These issues are starting to make me consider uninstalling it, though.

Wow, thanks for the response!

My concern is that, while VPN might solve everyone's problem with a single solution, my (already bad) battery life will decrease since VPN is being used.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Your concerns are valid. Since the switch to VPN, the battery life on my iPhone 5 has become horrible. A full charge used to last at least a day. Now, it's half of that. Also, I've noticed that my phone has a hard time connecting to the internet via the VPN (and why is the VPN still on while I'm using wifi?). Any suggestions on how to remedy the internet connectivity?

Up until now, Onavo has been great - I love the service they provide. These issues are starting to make me consider uninstalling it, though.

I completely uninstalled it. It wasn't worth the loss of battery, the lag in connecting to VPN, and overall buggyness.

Until they fix it, I won't be using it.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Same here, suddenly saw VPN being used and yes it was laggy for me so i have deleted the ovano profile from my iPhone.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Anyone try the latest update? It's supposed to address these issues now.

I stopped using it before partly because the VPN icon is just annoying to look at and partly because data speeds were horrendous. I'm used to LTE speeds that vary from 10 to 30MB but on Onavo it barely scratched 2MB if I was lucky. Totally unacceptable.

If it's gotten better I might use it again but probably only when I'm traveling internationally.

Dr8ct0pu8

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I've noticed that with Onavo's VPN, some of my apps no longer work properly, like the Letterpress game or my Roku remote app. Trying to turn the VPN off in the settings is no use, as it immediately reconnects. I'll most likely be uninstalling.

Kd7irm

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I uninstalled as well, long delay to context to data and battery drain was unreal.

Richard L

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Durham, UK
Onavo & VPN

It is only this morning that I worked out Onavo was the cause of my problems. I have a wireless system in my home that means I can control electrical devices from my iPhone or iPad. My iPhone with Onavo running worked fine but my iPad with Onavo running would not connect to the wireless network for the electric devices. Looking at settings on my iPad I noticed as another member has that if you switched off VPN Onavo switched it back on again. Removing Onavo and I have no problems. It will have to stay off now until they fix it but strange that it does not happen with my iPhone 5.

Discipulus815

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Turning off the auto connect is a fix... But then you must remember to turn it back on when you switch away from wifi. Too much of a hassle for negligible savings.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Tried using Onavo. Really keen to see what it could do.
However since it created the VPN my connection appeared my slower.

I tried turning off the VPN to test my theory.
but it kept turning itself back on.
Irritated I deleted the app, and still the VPN connection persisted. Tried turning it off in Settings, but it kept turning itself back on.

To turn it off I resorted to a google search and found this thread.
thanks.

But bad form on Onavo's part!
What a mission to turn off VPN.
Settings>General>VPN>Onavo>Connect on Demand:eek:ff

What a mission.
wont be using this app again.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
To be fair I think the VPN approach is required in order for their service to work on CDMA. Because data is also being processed through their servers there's just no way that it can match the speed of LTE. 3G speeds though shouldn't be a problem, but faster than that and you deal with the tradeoff of bandwidth compression for speed.

In the end I found that it can have erratic results on the performance of the apps that rely on connections, where if something goes wrong or an app has severe issues connecting, it may not occur to the user right away that Onavo might be the culprit, which is part of the reason why I opted not to use it.

Lix4

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Can't connect to Internet after installing onavo

Yup I couldn't even connect to safari and can't download any pics from whatsapp after I installed Onavo. Love the idea of onavo but the trade-off is just too huge at this point.

Update: I just realized I had those problems at home when I was connected to wifi. Now that I'm outside, Internet connection seems better. But yes I has to turn on the VPN connection again.

Last edited:

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Just started to use this again after not needing it as i was on a unlimited data contract. Now i'm not on that contract i thought i'd install this again, after a day i'm uninstalling it.

It was good while it lasted Onavo.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I downloaded Onavo all over the weekend and set it up. It's as shame you can't sync it with your plan dates.
Being on Wi-Fi did not notice any ridiculous battery drain, But I'm starting my work day at work with no Wi-Fi today and we will see if I have a battery problem.
I'm in a LTE area, I'll watch for any degradation in speed also. I'm hoping I can live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.