PDA

View Full Version : So I just upgraded my iBook from 768mb to 1.2gb RAM

spaceballl
Sep 14, 2005, 06:46 PM
I was thinking about doing this a while back and impulsively figured what the heck why not - Anyhow, right now i don't see too much of a difference, if any at all. Things seem pretty normal. Will report back after a little more usage.

-Kevin

spaceballl
Sep 14, 2005, 07:03 PM
So Firefox is a bit more snappy... Neoofffice/J is still slow. I do a lot of multitasking so when Neooffice is open, I can open a bunch of links in tabs at the same time in firefox and there isn't any slowdown anymore. So I'd say my computer isn't any faster at all, but smoother when there are a lot of apps open. Pretty much what I expected.

londy
Sep 14, 2005, 07:26 PM
not to mention, neo-office is just s-l-o-w. drove me so crazy i broke down and got office. i even deleted it. though i've considered bumping up my RAM from 768 myself. i've seen a couple beachballs...

mad jew
Sep 15, 2005, 01:11 AM
More RAM won't directly make things faster but should limit the amount of times you have to access the hard drive, which is insanely slow in computer terms. :)

bursty
Sep 15, 2005, 01:37 AM
I recently upgraded my PB from 512mb to 1.25gb I noticed a huge difference. Best purchase I've made for the PB hands down.

Abstract
Sep 15, 2005, 07:29 AM
So I'd say my computer isn't any faster at all, but smoother when there are a lot of apps open. Pretty much what I expected.

Yeah, and pretty much what I tell people who ask about buying RAM. ;)

It is GREAT for multitaskers and people who deal with large files, but otherwise......meh.

jaydon34
Sep 15, 2005, 07:50 AM
I was thinking about doing this a while back and impulsively figured what the heck why not - Anyhow, right now i don't see too much of a difference, if any at all. Things seem pretty normal. Will report back after a little more usage.

-Kevin

how much did u pay for your ram?

spaceballl
Sep 15, 2005, 11:11 AM
how much did u pay for your ram?
105 shipped.

Maxiseller
Sep 15, 2005, 12:25 PM
I think if you're going from 256 to say, 1GB + you'll notice a huge difference!

512 to 1G though, and the OS is already happily running on what you had. Ram certainly helps what I do though, and I wouldn't have less than a Gig.

jaydon34
Sep 15, 2005, 04:48 PM
105 shipped.
nice where from man I wanna go from 768 to 1256

spaceballl
Sep 15, 2005, 05:03 PM
oh man i'm a big liar... I just checked my invoice - $124.95 after shipping.

Enetshoponline.com

Still not too bad of a price, considering that Apple mem needs to be extra short to fit in.

jaydon34
Sep 16, 2005, 12:41 AM
oh man i'm a big liar... I just checked my invoice - $124.95 after shipping.

Enetshoponline.com

Still not too bad of a price, considering that Apple mem needs to be extra short to fit in.

still not badd thanks man im gonna order mines.

Peter Griffin
Sep 16, 2005, 05:57 AM
I was about to spring for a 1 gb stick today for 160 but hesitated. I'm not sure if it's worth the money, but if anyone whose gone from 512 mb to 1.5 gb can comment it'd be great. :D

spaceballl
Sep 16, 2005, 03:44 PM
I was about to spring for a 1 gb stick today for 160 but hesitated. I'm not sure if it's worth the money, but if anyone whose gone from 512 mb to 1.5 gb can comment it'd be great. :D
Just grab the cheaper stick that I found.

Going from 512 to 1.5gb would matter how many apps you have open at one time. I'd say it's probably worth it - just like a one-time upgrade that you can do and then not have to think about it anymore.

California
Sep 16, 2005, 05:30 PM
I went from 256k on a new 1.33ghz iBook 14" to 1.25gigs of ram.

VERY speedy. Also, with the new Safari update, still speedier on line.

Also paid 145 with shipping for new Samsung 1gig 2700 chip. Guy off eBay. Worth every penny. Samsung is OEM apple ram.

godbout
Sep 16, 2005, 05:33 PM

I went from 512 to 1.5 GB and I did not really notice a difference (although I only has 512 for like 3 days) I never page out and I have loads of progs open all the time so that is saying something! the first three days I did not really give the 512 a very hard test though because I was just setting her up and stuff and not doing anthing all that intensive. Xbench results obviously did not change... I am not sure about every day things... The whole put at least a gig or you will be bottle necked is a bit overrated IMO but if you love to work with big data sets and have tonnes of things open you will be able to notice the difference!

FoxyKaye
Sep 16, 2005, 06:05 PM
I went from 256k on a new 1.33ghz iBook 14" to 1.25gigs of ram.

VERY speedy. Also, with the new Safari update, still speedier on line.

Also paid 145 with shipping for new Samsung 1gig 2700 chip. Guy off eBay. Worth every penny. Samsung is OEM apple ram.
Wow - I can't imagine how long it took to load OS X with only 256K of RAM. :p

Is Samsung Apple OEM across the board or for certain models? I ask because I've always thought Apple goes with the cheapest supplier at any given time, like it does with hard drives.

It is GREAT for multitaskers and people who deal with large files, but otherwise......meh.
Precisely why I started my iMac with 1.5Gigs - I'll bounce between a lot of apps at any given time, about a third of which process sound files. It's great to have more breathing room in this regard.

Chef Medeski
Sep 16, 2005, 07:56 PM
I think PB gets a better effect when upgrading. I'm not sure why, but the faster processor seems to increase alot more than the iBook when upgrading the RAM.