PDA

View Full Version : Apple 'Spaceship' Campus Unlikely to Open Before 2016

MacRumors
Nov 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/21/apple-spaceship-campus-unlikely-to-open-before-2016/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/renderint1.jpg (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/renderc.jpg)Click for larger
Bloomberg reports that Apple's ambitious Spaceship-like campus will likely be delayed until 2016. The project was originally revealed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-pitches-cupertino-on-new-apple-campus/) back in June and was presented to the Cupertino city council by Steve Jobs himself. Apple Inc. (AAPL) said the construction of a new spaceship-like headquarters with a circular design in Cupertino, California, won't be completed until mid-2016, later than originally projected, as the company revises its plans.The new campus was originally targeted for completion by 2015, but November filing made city approval unlikely by the originally planned dates.

Bloomberg reports the new plans show no major changes to the original campus plans, but does include some additional parking, more landscaped area and other small changes. The main four-story building remains the same circular shape as shown above.

Article Link: Apple 'Spaceship' Campus Unlikely to Open Before 2016 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/21/apple-spaceship-campus-unlikely-to-open-before-2016/)

jabingla2810
Nov 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
Cannot wait to see this building become a reality.

Such a cool design.

iSamurai
Nov 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
you mean the Cupertino city council?

dwhittington
Nov 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
... and "back in June" of 2011.

hollerz
Nov 21, 2012, 01:16 AM

I've noticed a lot of basic editorial mistakes like this recently.

iMikeT
Nov 21, 2012, 01:28 AM

I've noticed a lot of basic editorial mistakes like this recently.

Which is why MacRumors should hire guys like us to catch these errors. What are these positions called again.... Oh yeah, proofreaders! :D

Anyway, I was hoping to take a ride on this mothership. Sucks that we have to wait another year. :(

mrsir2009
Nov 21, 2012, 02:03 AM
Looks like it'd be a slick environment to work in :)

tdtran1025
Nov 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
The empire will have crumbled by then by its own ambition and mistreatment to employees.

HiRez
Nov 21, 2012, 04:12 AM
The empire will have crumbled by then by its own ambition and mistreatment to employees.

That you, Michael Dell?

macchiato2009
Nov 21, 2012, 04:58 AM
late like any other apple product :rolleyes:

dubztar
Nov 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
late like any other apple product :rolleyes:

early, on time or late - as always I will wait for the second patch before risking any shiny new tech from Apple :)

kas23
Nov 21, 2012, 06:47 AM
Wow, they can't do anything on time anymore.

bigcat318
Nov 21, 2012, 07:31 AM

It states the design is being changed. Did you want them to start building something they didn't want?

There are a dozen reasons why a project gets delayed, none of which would be the fault of the client (Apple).

sputnikv
Nov 21, 2012, 07:38 AM

you're implying that apple does the construction documents, hires consultants, contractors, workers and is responsible for the completion date all while being exempt from any municipal procedure that can delay the multiple-year long process unintentionally. please

regarding apple not doing anything on time anymore, while there may be some truth to that, i think it's fairer to say that we're more aware given we try to squeeze any bit of information we can about them and their projects - rumours especially

Bubba Satori
Nov 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
Just in time for the new Mac Pro.

extricated
Nov 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
I always get tickled at the "spaceship-like campus" tag.

Are there any spaceships around as our basis of comparison?

bigcat318
Nov 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
I always get tickled at the "spaceship-like campus" tag.

Are there any spaceships around as our basis of comparison?

My go-to reference point for spaceships is 'Mars Attacks!'

myrtlebee
Nov 21, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'm curious to know how the members of the Cupertino city council sat quietly during a presentation from a ghost.

neupane00
Nov 21, 2012, 09:16 AM
RE: Back in june --> I have to agree. Lot of basic mistakes these days. Wonder whats going on !!

Squilly
Nov 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
Doesn't look much like a spaceship, although intriguing idea. Leave it to Apple to innovate anything possible - in this scenario - their own corporate building....

Bill Killer
Nov 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
Which is why MacRumors should hire guys like us to catch these errors. What are these positions called again.... Oh yeah, proofreaders! :D

Anyway, I was hoping to take a ride on this mothership. Sucks that we have to wait another year. :(

Technically, the position is actually called "copy editor".

Laird Knox
Nov 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
RE: Back in june --> I have to agree. Lot of basic mistakes these days. Wonder whats going on !!

Do you mean like ending a question with exclamation points? ;)

neupane00
Nov 21, 2012, 10:47 AM

yeah. exactly :) thats why i wouldn't do that job cuz im not qualified to. i would have smiley faces and exclamation points all over the place.

IJ Reilly
Nov 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
Which is why MacRumors should hire guys like us to catch these errors. What are these positions called again.... Oh yeah, proofreaders!

Copy editors. A copy editor is a kind of proofreader I suppose, but their job is also about enforcing a degree of stylistic uniformity within a publication.

(Edit: Bill Killer beat me to the punch.)

mdelvecchio
Nov 21, 2012, 02:32 PM

really? was Mountain Lion late? the new ipad? the iphone 5? ipod? macbook pros?

not that im aware of. seems youd like the latest macs sooner, but i dont know that those could even be classified as late if they dont have a set launch date.

ixodes
Nov 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
A fitting tribute to the massive ego of the departed SJ.

Trekkies worldwide will shudder in joy.

Will do good
Nov 21, 2012, 08:14 PM

Not just proofreaders, professionals.

----------

Grow up and get out of your mom's basement, fresh air is good.

ferdinandcc
Nov 22, 2012, 01:46 AM

"Wonder what's going on," is a statement, not a question.

ongharry1014
Nov 22, 2012, 03:41 AM
hi, English is not my native language. Can someone explain why "back in June" is incorrect grammar usage?

IJ Reilly
Nov 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
hi, English is not my native language. Can someone explain why "back in June" is incorrect grammar usage?

It was an editorial mistake, not a grammatical error. The project was announced in June, 2011 but the wording implied that it happened last June. Had the writer actually meant last June, the clearer way of saying it would have been simply, "the project was announced in June." The word "back" in this context would be redundant (not needed to express the meaning of the sentence).

Thanks for asking. I'm always impressed when a non-native English speaker shows an interest in correct English grammar, when so many native English speakers no longer seem to care.

verniesgarden
Nov 22, 2012, 11:38 AM
I suspect the center garden area will have a Steve Jobs statue.

Mac-Mariachi
Nov 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Guess Samsung is having trouble making the chips that control the Turbo Thrusters of that Mothership.

dragje
Nov 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
Just in time for the new Mac Pro.

Amen! :D

MadDawg2020
Nov 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
They can build a spaceship but cant seem to build a Mac Pro.

c1phers
Nov 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
Not surprising that local government holds up development. Big problem with this country.

tbrinkma
Nov 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
How about a link to the source article?

hackjo
Nov 29, 2012, 01:07 AM
Apple have reinvented the spaceship.