PDA

View Full Version : Intel macs

jj1985
Sep 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
If apple switches to the intel hardware, why would people buy the apple hardware when it can be bought significantly cheaper elseware?

iMeowbot
Sep 14, 2005, 08:55 PM
First, I'll mention that a forum search should turn out much discussion of this, because someone's going to mention it soon enough.

Second, we'll simply have to wait and see what Apple offer for sale. If the released Macintels are as uninspired as the development box, we can write off Apple as music box manufacturers who also make a nice Unix distribution as a sideline. Who knows though, maybe they'll surprise us with something cool (other than the cabinet).

esXXI
Sep 14, 2005, 09:11 PM
If apple switches to the intel hardware, why would people buy the apple hardware when it can be bought significantly cheaper elseware?
Because other hardware won't run OS X*.

* - Except for those people who are going to spend time and energy to hack it on, and then use it illegally without any Apple support. Which is to say; most people won't bother.

generik
Sep 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
Because other hardware won't run OS X*.

* - Except for those people who are going to spend time and energy to hack it on, and then use it illegally without any Apple support. Which is to say; most people won't bother.

OS X is overrated.

Besides, an OS is an OS, a computer is a computer. Bear in mind these are 2 different things. I do not need to buy a Mercedes to buy a certain brand of petrol, same goes for this.

mcarnes
Sep 14, 2005, 09:19 PM
Big duh on this one. It's all in the OS, and only Apple gear will run OSX. Apple will make sure of this at the hardware level, unless they make the decision to port OSX to other PCs.

iGary
Sep 14, 2005, 09:24 PM
OS X is overrated.

Besides, an OS is an OS, a computer is a computer. Bear in mind these are 2 different things. I do not need to buy a Mercedes to buy a certain brand of petrol, same goes for this.

Troll. :rolleyes:

zen.state
Sep 14, 2005, 09:33 PM
the osx x86 beta will run on standard intel boxes and even some amd as well. the thing is that you need to be quite tech savvy for this to work as I understand it.

you can be sure that the final osx for intel will not run on non-apple hardware. I only see apple letting it run on normal boxes if their goal is to take out microsoft. intel macs will be the only x86 based systems running osx for a while.